What's new

Building New Panels - Sharing the Process

jcmjrt

rrog, sorry I haven't followed your whole thread but I see in the last couple of pages talking about multiple drivers and their costs...so have you looked at stevesleds.com drivers? They have their triple and quad drivers on sale and you could probably use one power supply for them all. I'm using his single drivers on some small diy fixtures and am happy. I've also been happy with their aluminum tubing heatsink and fan. I'm keeping some XMLs very cool and happy. Anyway, hope it helped and if it didn't...sorry.

rrog

Veteran
I appreciate the tip!!! For my next panel builds, clearly there is a much cheaper and easier route for me. I would love to get the driver issue resolved.

GuFF

I'm in the same boat, inventronics has some 200w drivers with various amp ratings that would cut down on the # of drivers. However they only offer a 1 year warranty whereas my meanwell hlg's offer 5 yrs...

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wonder if there is some reason why you cant get like a 100v 2A driver ~or can you? what about 200v?

rrog

Veteran
I'd still love to build one driver per panel. Does not seem to be consensus as to whether this is safe / practical / achievable.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah; that's what i mean too ~seems like you can get 'em that drive like 4 XMLs & i m sure there are bigger ones {or you could underdrive them} just higher amperage drivers seem to be lower voltage

this one:

is seeming like the heatsink is adequate {passive!} i touch the heatsink after hours of continuous operation and it's only lukewarm out about maybe 3/4" from the diode

so; it would be no big deal to do like 3X3 on the same footprint & have 9 diodes

but there doesnt seem to be any 2A ~27v drivers & the 3X3 is what i envisioned so; that design was limited by what i could find for a driver {i was looking @ 3A to be fair but that is even worse the 24v are $100+}

here's 1 that would do 16 XMLs @ 2.5A but it's $90+

still a 16 diode fixture would defo be nice in a closet grow or larger micro

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As Guff mentioned, Inventronics makes some high voltage drivers, as does Philips. I don't see any Philips in that amperage range, but this one would drive about 30 XMLs. I don't know how the price stacks up against buying Meanwells in bulk though. The good thing about numerous strings/drivers is when something goes south on you, you don't lose the whole damn works. Future Electronics has a pretty nice utility for "driving down" into driver parameters.

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en...modules/Pages/1007631-EUC-200S210ST.aspx?IM=0

rrog

Veteran
I will keep looking and researching. This is great stuff and I appreciate the help.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that inventronics is a pretty sweet unit for this kind of thing ~runs what 30 XMLs? that is a respectable lamp those things are bright!!!!

rrog your unit is 50 diodes?

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Yes indeed- 50 XM-L's. At 2A, that's 300W. One could increase the panel to 60 easily, or look at two 30 diode panels. Rives really cemented it in my head that there's a real value to having several powerful panels rather than one big central source. With an articulated tube steel frame that I'm contemplating, I'd be able to independently position the 4 panels over a 4x4 footprint.

GuFF

I'm using the HLG-120H-54, can run 16 XM-Ls at 2.3 amps, and it has the longest warranty of all their drivers. I think it'd be nice to one driver per color, that way you can dim each one tiger the spectrum you want.

I'm using 3 of those drivers. 2 for warm white and 1 for neutral white. dim down the warm in veg and turn it up in bloom.

rrog

Veteran
I have a balance of WW and NW, with one string of WW on a switch (off for veg). My next panels will be dedicated for one or the other. 4 for flower and 1 for veg.

GuFF

For my first panel I'm actually thinking of using 4 of those HLG-120H-54's, two og them dimmable. Then use 2 strings of NW (one dimmable) and 2 strings of WW (one dimmable). That way I can determine a good ratio of NW to WW for veg and bloom.

If a 1:1 ratio of NW to WW works good through veg and bloom, I'll just use 2 inventronics 200w drivers instead of the 4 meanwell HLGs as the inventronics are not dimmable.

I have a small panel with 12 WW and 12 CW XP-Gs for my mothers and I love the growth, lush and not stretchy, I think 1:1 with NW and WW would work good in veg and bloom.

Cant wait to see yours up and running! I'm still in the process of ordering parts.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GuFF 1:1 seems like a good way to simplify it i think i actually like that because it is simple

its good to see your observation w/ ww 1:1 to cw as well; thanks!

man wouldnt it be something to see some side by sides but; holy crap! how many side by sides would you have to do ~lmao

rrog

Veteran
So all 50 are not always on? Is the controllable string on a separate driver?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yes indeed. 5 drivers, 10 LEDs per driver. One has a sub switch for the WW. So 40 on during veg and flip the last WW string for flower (all 50)

rrog

Veteran
Ya. I thought you described that link as a driver worksheet. I much prefer the idea of fewer drivers / less cost.

GuFF

Using those two drivers limits you strictly to a 1:1 ratio of WW to NW unless u mix the strings of LEDs. As I do not believe they are dimmable...

Latest posts

Latest posts