What's new

Building New Panels - Sharing the Process

rrog

Veteran
After some discussions on TenThirty's thread about blue, I think I'm going to drop the CW from the mix. I'm currently thinking 1:1 NW and WW, and during veg I'll shut off 1 WW string.

There's no problem mixing 10W diodes on the same string, is there?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks habeeb! nice to see some 3rd party data like that ~and my diode is even in there ~now; i like it all the more

epic

rrog

Veteran
Can I mix different 10W LEDs on the same driver? WW + NW? That can't be an issue, right?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For the number of panels that you are talking about, and particularly since you've decided to drop the CW out of the mix, I think that you ought to take another look at the Luxeon K's. They are about 40% of the cost of the Cree chips ($/watt), have models that can run some pretty impressive wattages, and have a l/pw ratio that is pretty equivalent. Future Lighting Solutions has some damn good pricing on tray quantities.

*edit* yes, you can mix colors within a string. About the only limitation within a string is that all of the chips will run at the same current level, so that spec should be fairly well matched.

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Thanks Rives- I'm only building one panel to start. Then see where the market is at that point. My headlamp arrived, BTW. Very cool thing.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rrog while it is correct that you *can* run the colored w/ the white; w/ regards to the cree 10w you will be significantly under-powering the crees to match up the typical .7A 2.5v-3v colored diodes OTOH; lumiled rebel whites run at .7A 3v ~within reason for mixing on strings

w/ the cree; i would definitely put them on their own driver and have a colored circuit separate

BTW; idk how many of my older posts you may have read but i do advocate the lumiled rebel ES whites ~esp the ww

another thing i was giving some serious consideration to is running future electronic 24v .7A drivers {2 of them} on 1 i would run 10 2.4v colored and on the other i would run 8 whites ~so you can see too that i advocate disregarding the above advice moreso than following {i.e. mixing various voltage `let alone amperage chips on 1 circuit}

btw, it is the 660 red which run @ 2.4v .7A and the royal blue runs @ 3v .7A ~another option would be running the RBs w/ the white and 10 reds @ 2.4 on the other driver {lumiled rebel}

note; either config would be 18 diodes @ 32W total and it would be easy to duplicate for larger fixtures

it is difficult to find 3 amp drivers within reason {$$$} the one i chose for my cree diodes {4 of them} is a 12v 3A driver {also future electronics}

rrog

Veteran
LED Group by is not only outta CW (I'm not using them) but also outta NW. We'll see when they're back. Looking for 20mm stars.

EDIT:

The 10.08" x 22" sink arrived. What a nice piece of goods. I was really surprised at how heavy it is!!

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 10.08" x 22" sink arrived. What a nice piece of goods. I was really surprised at how heavy it is!!

That's a serious heat sink isn't it? I really like doing business with those people - they have some interesting new profiles that they have put up in the last week or so.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
doing the same here ~wait'n on fedex today & they are late/already got a call the driver was requesting a contact # {he is lost} driver hasnt called yet :mad: and i need to go to town ~all this just for 2 drivers from future ~@ least the rest will just be in the mail

well; exc. my heatsink is some aluminum stock from ACE

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Xmobo- How'd you make out?

Anyone have an idea how to mount two fans to the top of this 10" x 22" heatsink? They have to mount to the fins in some fashion.

Also a hanging rig of some sort.

miron555

mounting osram golden dragon

mounting osram golden dragon

i think i asked about it before in a wrong place.
sorry for my newbie question but,
how do you mount osram hyper reds.
ive got them without mpcbc board.

1.does the way with copper foil and campton tape is ok?
2.what adhesive tape should i use under thermal pad?
3.could i use thermal adhesive glue instead of thermal adhesive tape?

thank%20you.gif
4help

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Miron, you can still mount those chips on MCPCBs. I bought the loose diodes from Mouser, and mounted them myself using an inductive hotplate and paste solder. The foil & tape method apparently works well, but I haven't used it. Google the build done by KNNA on another site for an excellent description of how to do it.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Xmobo- How'd you make out?

Anyone have an idea how to mount two fans to the top of this 10" x 22" heatsink? They have to mount to the fins in some fashion.

Also a hanging rig of some sort.

probably easiest would be to drill and tap 2 holes in the end of the sink so the fan could be mounted {1 side of the fan} as to pull or push through the fins from the side; a couple rubber o rings as washers would help minimize the vibration from the fan into the sink amplifying its noise

manufacturers have some method for tapping threads into the sides of the fins where the fans may be mounted to the surface of the fins but idk how DIY'rs might apply that

hooks and chains {basic shop fluorescent style} maybe those adjustable yo-yo style deals?

rrog

Veteran
RapidLED suggested hot melt gluing the fans to the fins. Acts as a vibration gasket and is removable. I use the stuff a lot, actually. I have some time to decide.

I'm also thinking of just drilling the ends of the fins and attaching cables (the yo-yo's I like a lot). Simple.

Gru

Great thread, keep it up guys, its a steep learning curve , but very informative. I love this :huggg: