What's new

Building New Panels - Sharing the Process

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Yes, you can attache them to the main heatsink with screws, thermal glue or metal elastic clamps or whatever you can use to keep them bonded to the main heatsink to extract as much heat as possible away from the LEDs.

rrog

Veteran
Thanks Hemp- I was unfortunately thinking those little pads did all that - no screws. Rives pointed out that's likely not the case, and I have you confused with one of the other very helpful people here, because you've never used them.

You can't just attach the LED to the main heat sink without some smaller sink attached?

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
You can , but it's a little more complicated, because the LED should be soldered to the heatsink for maximal thermal transfer. Every LED has at least 3 areas that must be soldered : 2 terminals (anode and cathode) and the thermal pad. If you want to bond the led directly to the heatsink you must insulate the first 2 terminals from the heatsink which makes things a little bit complicated. This is more easily done when you have a big aluminum PCB, with electrical traces printed onto it, so this is way I prefer using small 20mm (or 16mm) aluminium star PCBs.

rrog

Veteran
I appreciate your patience while I get this straight in my mind. This is what I'm looking to buy. Is the star shape the heat sink you're referring to? Then either thermal epoxy or thermal grease and screws?

EDIT:

OK I get it. The star-shaped base is the heat sink that we solder leads to. I'll use a silver grease like Artic Silver 5. And screw the Sinks to the big sink with Rives Torx Screw method.

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
What's a good system to ground myself / work table while assembling? I've seen anti-static mats, wrist grounds... Sure don't want to fry these like Rives commented earlier.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
If you work directly over the big main heatsink you can just use a copper wire connected to it with the other end wrapped against the cold water pipe on the kitchen, or any other metal pipe that go into the ground.

And try to wear just natural fiber clothes and avoid any nylon/polyesther fibers.

I think it requires quite a big electrostaric discharge to burn this high power LEDs, but it better to be careful.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After the little escapade where I blew that string, I (finally) bought a grounding wrist strap. You can then get a coiled lead that stretches out, like for a telephone handset and has a snap connection to the wrist strap. I then took a 120v plug and hooked up just the ground wire, and in turn hooked this ground wire to the wrist strap lead. It allows plenty of motion and you quickly forget that you even have it on.

I don't know how old you are, but another little goody that I'm finding really helpful with geriatric eyes is a headband with an led lamp built onto it. I got a Black Diamond Cosmo, and I wish that I had bought one years ago. My teeth are much happier not gripping a Mini-Maglite.

rrog

Veteran
Holy crap - The mini-mag in the teeth. I carry one in my pocket constantly. Just ordered the Cosmo. I've been wondering about such a thing for a while and if it's good for you I'm sold.

Love the idea of just plugging into the ground only. Very clever, Mr. Rives. Simple.

Should I look at a rubber mat? I have several different vinyl mats, actually.

These are all very helpful and practical tips. Thank you.

I have been envious of those chisel / bevel tips on the soldering iron. That's huge surface area for pre-tinning the LEDs. They don't seem to offer that tip for my little Weller. I have a screwdrifer tip with e small bevels. I wonder if that's a beneficial enough tip that I should look at another soldering iron.

rrog

Veteran
Rives- regarding the attaching of the LEDs via screws, here was a neat synopsis I read elsewhere. I believe this is what you're doing:

- Drill each hole with a 7/64th drill bit
- An M3 .50 x 6MM button head machine screw will self tap itself into the 7/64th hole
- Isolate the screw head from the LED contacts with a plastic washer. Part number 16FW004032 and are only .031 thick. http://www.amazon.com/MICRO-PLASTICS-16FW004032-Washer-Nylon/dp/B00867QPH6

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
If you do not intend to remove the leds from the main heatsink to soon I think is more simple to use a thermal glue (found some cheapo thermal plaster on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Con...er-Adhesive-Compound-For-PC-GPU-/170921878892) . LEDs are not CPUs so an average thermal glue will do the job pretty well , as long you don't have to many air bubbles trapped between star heatsink and the main heatsink. This kind of plaster (silicon based) ensure enough bond to keep the LEDs in place, but they could be removed later with a sharp knife. If you use epoxy thermal resin it might be extremely hard or even impossible to remove the LEDs from the heatsink .

I glued my LEDs to the heatsinks just with thermal white paste and to drops of universal rubber glue on opposite edges of star heatsinks. For the next project I will use thermal plaster.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rrog, that's basically what I do, but I use SAE sizes rather than metric. I use #4x3/8" self-tapping screws, a #42 numerical drill bit, and the insulating washers.

If you go this route, I would buy several extra drill bits and a couple of extra T-10 Torx drivers. Amazon has the drivers for a couple of bucks, and the Torx setup works the best that I've found for retaining the screw and getting enough torque on it to thread the hole. Try and lay out the holes so that they fall between the fins on the heatsink - if you partially catch a fin while drilling, it will snap the drill bit in a heartbeat.

I epoxied one project, and have used the screws since then. I don't think that the epoxy transmits the heat quite as well as a thermal compound like Arctic Silver, and I've found the screws are a very easy system to modify later.

screws - http://www.mcmaster.com/#90925A108

rrog

Veteran
Hempfield- I've seen a few videos where this adhesive was used on the heatsink. Is there a general comparison of heat conduction with the grease vs the "silicon plaster?"

If I did this, I'd want the highest rated product, if there is such a thing.

Thank you for this suggestion.

EDIT:

I posted this before I saw Rives' post. So Rives- you think the conduction suffers a bit with the glue. Sure does make it easy... mighty compelling...

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ well it's your choice..

I would go with holes. why? because you will switch the LED out some time or another down the road..

you want it hard now and simple later, or simple now and hard later?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found that it wasn't as easy to use the adhesive as you might think. The mcpcb needs to be pushed down tight, and preferably held for a bit to eliminate the chance of it lifting a little. I used the "permanent" stuff, and freaked out when I blew that string - however, the adhesive was no match for a sharp chisel and a small ball-pein hammer. With the way that I am currently swapping things around to experiment with different spectra, I wouldn't even consider the adhesive.

I think that it also greatly simplifies soldering the leads on - I just back the screws off a couple of turns, slip a popsicle stick under the star to keep the heat from being sucked away, and solder the connections. If the stars are attached to the sink, it's a bitch to get things warm enough (those damn heatsinks work!), and since I use a template to locate my chips, it would be very difficult to solder the wires first.

rrog

Veteran
I guess in my mind I've been thinking if I replace the LEDs I may also change their position = new holes. Are these star shaped little heatsinks fairly standard? So a year from now the new ones would fit those holes? If that's the case it makes sense to drill

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Look what I received in the mail today : 10x XM-L T6 U3 :dance013:

I have to wait for driver, voltmeter and ammeter to arrive and the building process will begin.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Don't want to be considered spam, but I found this site that have various XM-L LEDs on 20mm and 16mm star PCB :

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1609/10001903/1189702

Available models and parts:
Cree XM-L T4-7C 2800-3000K White LED Emitter with 16mm Base
T4-7C: 16mm: $5.12
Cree XM-L T4-7C 3000K White LED Emitter with 20mm Star Base
T4-7C: 20mm Star: $6.51
Cree XM-L T5-5C1 / 4000K Neutral White LED Emitter with 16mm Base
T5-5C1: 16mm: $6.90
Cree XM-L T5-5C1 4000K Neutral White LED Emitter with 20mm Star
T5-5C1: 20mm Star: $6.91
Cree XM-L T6-1A 7000K White LED Emitter with 16mm Base
T6-1A: 16mm: $3.81