What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Building an IC69 Heat Exchanger

Dab Strudel

Are you proposing a sealed system for the IC69, with active water circulation. Through a chiller perhaps?

Lining a pot with a wetsuit, would be fine so long as cool water was pumped into and out of the pot.

A better solution may be to ditch the pot and wetsuit in favor of a cooler with the lid connected to the coil, both ends off the coil / cooler lid connected to the ball valves.
http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...src=17588969&gclid=CMqv0sT04cICFWho7AodTWsA_Q

Then we can take out the bottom spout of the cooler and plumb it for our inbound cold water source. Next plumb a bulkhead at the top of the cooler. Connect cooler to a chiller and recirculating water source as necessary.

This seems like a neat idea, a may be a future build.

The first IC69 I put together was done with a SS coil picked up by another ICmag member, a Ridgid brand tube cutter from Home Depot, and a trip to Swagelok. Swagelok parts are great, pretty, and tough; however they are more expensive than other options.

:joint:

I am indeed proposing a closed ic69, not sure why a recirculator is necessary, I planned on putting my DI/ alcohol right in my pot. However I did want to bring it up to the masses about one and why its necessary. Im building what gw posted a pic of, but each coil will have space between them to keep surface area unbound. Is there a down side to a welded heat exchanger vs one that has a removable coil?

May be a dumb question, but how is the LN2 pumped through the coil?

I have no idea how GW is doing things but I have been thinking about LN2 cooling.

It seems you could put a regulator on the LN2 supply. Take the pressure way down to something like 5 to 20 lbs and release it into the heat exchanger. I guess you need to think about where the regulator is located to prevent icing where you don't want it.

I wonder what the per hour running costs of the N2 will be? If you are doing high volume would a N2 recovery pump make sense to reclaim the N2? I guess that pump would be expensive. If all cooling could be done with N2 maybe reclaiming would have some merit. I have no idea.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
May be a dumb question, but how is the LN2 pumped through the coil?

Depending on location, as a liquid or a gas.

For the pump heat exchanger, we regulate the pressure to 5 psi and bleed N2 from the vapor ports through the tubing.

Dab Strudel

I am indeed proposing a closed ic69, not sure why a recirculator is necessary, I planned on putting my DI/ alcohol right in my pot. However I did want to bring it up to the masses about one and why its necessary. Im building what gw posted a pic of, but each coil will have space between them to keep surface area unbound. Is there a down side to a welded heat exchanger vs one that has a removable coil?
Anyone? Anyone??

thepanda

Not sure I understand the question. Could you elaborate?

I think he is asking if there is a difference between having an enclosed unit like the mt69 or the one you have gw that you can remove the coil out of and have access to the coil, IE dropping a unit into a bucket or having the unit be a bucket.

Dab Strudel

I think he is asking if there is a difference between having an enclosed unit like the mt69 or the one you have gw that you can remove the coil out of and have access to the coil, IE dropping a unit into a bucket or having the unit be a bucket.

Precisely what im asking. Your method has a welded coil in a SS pot, others propose igloo or Gatorade buckets with a lid to take the coil out as needed. Which is best in your opinion and why do people prefer the plastic drop in vs welded "SS pot in a wet suit"?

You don't want to be using flammable liquids in direct contact with plastic. It creates static and has caused huge numbers of fires. This is really up there on the danger scale. The stainless pot is perfect to attach a bonding strap and keep everything grounded. Also keep a good lid on things to keep vapors in the pot.

I am thinking of the same thing but instead of the thin sheet foam for insulation I plan to drop the steel pot into an oversized trash can. Then pour expanding foam in the gap.

Dab Strudel

Cool I was thinking expanding foam in a rope tote and a custom lid, but a trash can sounds better. Thanks for your input.

montroller

I really want to build a couple of these but I have a some of questions first.

I want to use a 50 ft coil to chill my injection line. In order to keep fluid dynamics I would want to use a 1/4 inch tubing there, right? I know it is 3/8 for recovery but if it is already liquid 1/4 should be fine, or even better?

I want to use this for recovery with my appion but will it even really make a difference with one pump running?

Also I can't get over the idea that I will be losing A LOT of liquid tane that will just be settling at the bottom of these, am I wrong? Does it all come out or do they need to be recovered separately?

Latest posts

Latest posts