What's new

Building a 4x6 hidden room

budderfly

so what are the plans for the walls? panda, mylar, paint or something else? :tiphat:

2 layers of drywall. Then Kilz Pro-X P10 PVA primer and Kilz Pro-X 310 flat white paint.

Although, to be honest, I'm never sure if flat or gloss is better for a room?

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 layers of drywall. Then Kilz Pro-X P10 PVA primer and Kilz Pro-X 310 flat white paint.

Although, to be honest, I'm never sure if flat or gloss is better for a room?

Flat all day. Beautiful workmanship sir!

qupee

I've read flat because glossy is sorta like a clear layer it'll absorb some of the light, iirc. Most people say flat will reflect the best anyways

Your ventillation setup is just awesome, I'm impressed once again. It really came out clean the way it runs between the trusses. Hopefully she's whisper quiet! :)

budderfly

I've read flat because glossy is sorta like a clear layer it'll absorb some of the light, iirc. Most people say flat will reflect the best anyways

Your ventillation setup is just awesome, I'm impressed once again. It really came out clean the way it runs between the trusses. Hopefully she's whisper quiet! :)

It just seems like any absorption or hot spotting would be really minimal between semi-gloss and flat. And then I think gee maybe gloss would clean better (even though this Kilz 3xx line is advertised as easy clean across all finishes). But I guess tests show flat is flat out ( :biggrin: ) more reflective whatever the reason.

I was reading a little about some reflective roofing paint.. but something made to go on a roof might not be suitable for use on drywall inside the occupied space.

Also, flat is so gospel that I have to question it. :) Wasn't it in Cervantes' book? ;) Flat it is though, sounds good fellas, thanks. :dance013:

budderfly

Another question. You can get titanium dioxide and add it to paint, right? Anyone know where? I asked Home Depot about adding it for that bling bling white and they looked at me like I was stupid. Gotta say the feeling was mutual. (I didn't actually say bling, lol)

Darth Fader

Most awesome thread my man! Have u run a soundtest? I bet you could crank up Nirvana in there & get a good idea of the soundproofing.

budderfly

Most awesome thread my man! Have u run a soundtest? I bet you could crank up Nirvana in there & get a good idea of the soundproofing.

Well, the inner door isn't built yet, and that's a huge leak. The outer fake wall has significant gaps around the pipes & conduit as well as the ducts. But the inner door will be built just like the walls and will be well sealed.

I can definitely tell it's going to be astoundingly quiet inside. Even without the inner door, you can really tell how well the walls and ceiling and ducts stop the sound. The drywall and green glue is going to improve it by orders of magnitude though.

If I cup my hands to my mouth and shout up into the ducts you can only barely hear it sneak through the gaps in the fake wall. It definitely does not travel through the ducts very far at all.

I

ItsTopShelf

very good idea.. but a little extreme to grow .. maybe would of just been easier to rent another place and grow there.

budderfly

very good idea.. but a little extreme to grow .. maybe would of just been easier to rent another place and grow there.

It may seem that way, but there's several reasons why renting a 2nd place is a worse idea, imho.

First, landlord. The only rented space I'd even consider growing in would be commercial. I realize plenty of people do it and get away with it but I see it as a flat-out unacceptable security risk.

Rental is an ongoing expense. If I wanted to rent close to me I'd need at least $2k down and $1k a month. If I rent out in the sticks more maybe $700-800, but then you have to travel. Either way its only a few of that extra months rent paid for the whole room, after that it's extra expense, and obligation, and time, and risk. No thanks.

A 2nd place also requires constant surveillance. It's an unacceptable security risk unless you can be 100% certain you will see anyone who pokes their nose around the residence. This means redundancy and testing. Someone will link to oh, say, this GSM motion cam. But motion detection takes testing to set up, and I've come across many devices where the implementation just plain sucks. It's spendy too, as you'd need several cameras (unless you're reaallly out in the sticks).

To be out of the city I'd have to be at least 45 minutes away, more realistically like an hour and fifteen. I work full time that's not possible. In the city you have all those appearances to keep up because neighbors will be watching. And rent's are much more. It's also much harder to detect surveillance by drug task force because there's just more traffic in general. Lot's of trade-offs. Ones that don't have to be made with a grow where you live. On the other hand, though, if you're counter-surveillance is on point you could potentially walk away if a bust was coming, assuming you went through enough trouble hiding your identity when you rented (estate trusts, only go there in cars with unrelated plate registrations, etc).

Besides, this is the sort of house I would rent to like a brother or a father if we ever upgrade into a new house, so it's an investment. ;)

budderfly

can't wait for the next update..... i have a feeling its going to be gooood :)

Budder is going to lay down the smackdown!

I'm itching here too, hope all is well and on track for you Budderfly!

huggg.gif
lol

Thanks guys! :)

I've been saving up until it's worth posting. Not too much interesting about layering on a bunch of drywall. ;)

Life's been busy but I'm still plugging away at it. The next batch of photos will have some interesting stuff for sure. :)

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
huh, looking at Kilz's site right now, it says for the flat white "where very low reflectance is desired" http://www.kilzpro-x.com/kilzpro-x/html/english/prod-310-detail.html

I'm still a bit unsure

Flat paint has a rougher texture which helps randomize the directions in which light rays are reflected. This gives you a diffuse even light without hot spots. High gloss paint appears to reflect more light because of its smooth surface which generates a mirror effect where you can see the hot spots, or glare. The smooth surface of a gloss paint does make it easier to wipe clean, but why not just repaint?

I've read posts here where people made good arguments for paints designed for moist conditions such as basements, which contain antifungal compounds. Myself, I painted my room using ceiling paint, which is formulated to have maximum reflectance without glare.

Stewbaca

ZOO WEE MAMA!!!

ZOO WEE MAMA!!!

This is as impressive as it gets!!:woohoo: My wife may even let me move indoors if I conjure up something this stealthy & complex, although the love my babies get outdoors for 6 months I dunno, she is jealous to begin with. Complex but simply astounding. If LEO finds this you were sold out or stupid, which you have proven not to be.

What a GREAT and INFORMATIVE read. Respectus Maximus.

Latest posts

Latest posts