What's new

Building a 4x6 hidden room

Granger2

Veteran
Overall, we growers are a handy, even innovative, lot. But budder, you take 1st prize. Great work. -granger

Sforza

Veteran
I'd also like to implement an automated watering system, or possibly hydro. Something so I don't have to hand water every other day.

Don't get crazy with a bunch of computer activated this and that. What you need is Blumat. Read the epic thread started by Sunnydog, Blumat Auto Watering, from beginning to end. If you do not have the time and patience to read all the posts, read the posts by Rives. He has some pumps, float switches, and solenoids in his system, but when it comes to delivering the right amount of water at the right time, Blumat are a proven resource.

budderfly

Don't get crazy with a bunch of computer activated this and that. What you need is Blumat. Read the epic thread started by Sunnydog, Blumat Auto Watering, from beginning to end. If you do not have the time and patience to read all the posts, read the posts by Rives. He has some pumps, float switches, and solenoids in his system, but when it comes to delivering the right amount of water at the right time, Blumat are a proven resource.

Thanks, I'll a read through it. It's been a while since I looked at Blumat's seriously. Can't let best be the enemy of better.

budderfly

Lots to sort through in that Blumat thread. I could get raised reservoirs in the room I suppose - build a shelf on the back wall. It would be easier to put them on the floor with pumps though. I'll also want one in the veg area.

Can you use the pressure regulators with gravity fed rez to give consistent results or is that only for pumped or like faucets?

I'll have to switch nutes. I'm sure Botanicare's PBP will be gunky.

Anyway, here's a shot of my veg area. The strain is Fluffhead from a local Denver dispensary. Has a great OG Kush smell and a distinctly fruity taste. I'm actually trying all new strains right now. After this will be Hemlock and Mammoth from the same place. I have a couple others of theirs around too if I get to them. Citrix iirc.

picture.php

Simple 400w MH with a 6" Phresh Hyper fan and filter. Again, love those things. They come with an integrated speed control that works great from barely spinning to full blast. I also use SolisTek ballasts and Ushio bulbs.

The exhaust is piped into the house's vent return through a defunct whole house humidifier. The thing was falling apart.

picture.php

Lastly, I'll show you how I get water. It's a BRS 6 stage deluxe unit from Bulk Reef Supply. It's a sediment filter, catalytic activated carbon, ChlorPlus 10 Carbon block (for cholaramines), 75 gpd RO filter, and two serial DI stages.

To anyone getting started I have to say, if you think you want RO water just go ahead and get this or something very similar. Well worth the investment. Filters last a year easy - my RO is still good after 3 and I'm still on the 2nd set of everything else (getting close to time to change though) - and it's super convenient.

You can also see my stack of Mega CVault's. I looked high and low for high capacity, air tight, wide-mouth jars made of glass, stainless steel, or even food grade plastic and there is so little out there. These jars are a bit spendy but are great, come in a variety of sizes, and hold a Boveda humidity pack.. but the problem with those is 62% is too moist in my location (maybe it's ok in the desert). They need a 57-59, but they don't have one. They tried to release a 59% once but it had inconsistent performance and they pulled it. I use mine with no Boveda and do a traditional periodic burp cure.

picture.php

adrianos88

I'm leaving this comment just to show my appreciation, as many others did along this thread's pages:

Thank you for documenting and sharing this project!
The building process, the commentaries for material choices and assembly, the little personal touch (train of thought & inevitable life problems) and the long periods of time without posting, they all really come together into a 19page successful hidden-room story.

Your professionalism and dedication are remarkable, I wish you results on par with the effort you put on this room's design and all the best!

budderfly

So I'd like to have 2 reservoirs to keep the room on a split schedule.

It looks like from each rez I'd want first a strainer filter: http://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-255-313-Twist-On-Pipe-Strainer/dp/B000V2W0GE

Leading to a pump: http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-4008-101-E65-Revolution-Water-Pump/dp/B002XM5G70

Which I could power both in the room with one supply: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer-Project/dp/B00D7CWSCG

From the pump to an accumulator: http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-182-200-Pre-Pressurized-Accumulator-Tank/dp/B000N9VF6Q

Though there's this very similar one, only difference I can see is the fittings? http://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-181-201-Shurflo-Accumulator-Tank/dp/B004KF41CY

I'm a little confused about fittings in general. The filter lists 1/2" NPSM, the pump lists 1/2" MSPT, for the accumulator I see 1/2" NPT..

After the pump I'd want a pressure regulator. This 0-60 psi adjustable with gauge looked good: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-1403-watts-560-water-pressure-regulator-wgauge.aspx

But the regulators I find are mostly 1/4" NPT. So then I'd assume I'd adapt that output up to a larger supply line?

I'll want a quick connect for each plant site, looks like these are meant for blumats? http://www.sustainablevillage.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_68&product_id=106

Can I use 1/8" line as a substitute for 3mm to the blumats themselves? Or what do I get to adapt the pressure regulator to the 8mm blumat line, or from some other main line to 3mm.

I'd probably like 90 degree fittings in the corners and T fittings over barbs for each plant site.. I'm a bit lost on fittings in general still: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-276-fittings-valves-tubing.aspx

Any comments, suggestions?

Last edited:

Sforza

Veteran
You might want to post your questions in the Blumat auto watering thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111046

There are guys doing the pump accumulator regulator systems who could better answer your questions. You have to use the 3mm hose for the last few inches of the run because the blumat sensor works against the thin flexible 3mm line to cut off the flow and allow the flow. There are various ways to work around using very much of the 3mm line, by using barbs and connectors, if you want to go that route.

Sustainable Village is a good source for Blumat equipment.

I think those quick connects that Sustainable Village sells are from Kent Systems. They are supposed to be very helpful when called, but their web page is not real user friendly.

Please feel free to contact them at support@kentsystems.com or by calling 970.593.3185

KENT Systems http://www.kentsystems.com/

Give Kent Systems a call and tell them what you want to do and let them recommend the best option for your purposes.

budderfly

You might want to post your questions in the Blumat auto watering thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111046

There are guys doing the pump accumulator regulator systems who could better answer your questions. You have to use the 3mm hose for the last few inches of the run because the blumat sensor works against the thin flexible 3mm line to cut off the flow and allow the flow. There are various ways to work around using very much of the 3mm line, by using barbs and connectors, if you want to go that route.

Sustainable Village is a good source for Blumat equipment.

I think those quick connects that Sustainable Village sells are from Kent Systems. They are supposed to be very helpful when called, but their web page is not real user friendly.

Please feel free to contact them at support@kentsystems.com or by calling 970.593.3185

KENT Systems http://www.kentsystems.com/

Give Kent Systems a call and tell them what you want to do and let them recommend the best option for your purposes.

Well, I figured before I asked in the big Blumat thread I should read it through, and by the time I did I had answered my own questions. Though I did ask in the one person's thread he started on the side about the pump accumulator setup but no response. Kind of sad, there's no one around here any more. I don't even know what the good active forums are these days.

I already have a bunch of the equipment with the rest coming over the next week.

I'll be setting up 2 separate systems in the flower room and 1 in veg. All 15 gallon reservoirs. It was tough to find rez's that fit right in the flower room and were big enough to be worthwhile. These are 24x12x12, 3/16" walled polyethylene tanks made by Tamco.

I'm using SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution pumps. I do have their 2088-594-154 industrial pump which has similar specs and was cheaper in a 120v AC version to pump water out of my 55gal barrel, but the revolution pumps have an internal bypass to handle cycling better.. seemed like a better pump for the blumat setup.

It was also cheaper for me to get the 12V revolution pumps and a couple 30A 12V switching mode power supplies off amazon because I could run both in the flower room off the same power supply, but 1-for-1 it's close to a wash between the 12V DC and 120V AC versions of the pump.

SHURflo 50-mesh SS filters before the pumps and SHURflo 182-200 accumulator tanks after. Watts 560 lead-free 0-60psi pressure regulator with gauges after the tanks.

I'm using 1/4" inner diameter tubing for main lines after the regulator (1/2" up until it). All white LLDPE line. Off the regulator is a shut off valve then a line with quick disconnects on each end to separate the pump from the line running around the room.

I did order 38 of the 1/4" OD to 3mm shut-off valve disconnects from Sustainable Village. This lets me have one at every plant site including up to 3 mothers, and let's every site in the flower room have the option of running off either reservoir.

Shut-off valves at the end of the lines with a quick disconnect to hook up a dump line.

Stuff adds up. The rez's were $100 each, each pump/filter/accumulator setup is $120+, regulator and gauge was almost $50 each, two patio and deck blumat kits for $160, shut-off valves start to add up, as do all the misc elbows, tees, reducers, etc.

Each plant takes 1.5-2 gallons every 48 hours, so worst case I'd get 2 days out of a reservoir full. But I'm guessing the blumats will use a good bit less water on average. If nothing else, there won't be a bunch of runoff that I then have to vacuum out and dump down the drain.

budderfly

Getting some work done this weekend. Here's how I mounted all the pump hardware on the reservoir lid (the boards are bolted to the lid). From right to left you have 1/2" PEX tube adapted to 1/2" ID polyethylene tube to the 90° connector to the filter, pump, then accumulator. Pressure regulator, shut off valve, and finally female quick connect (those are Parker PPA Series couplings and they're very nice).

picture.php

Here's a little better view of the tank. It's polyethylene so good for potable water and UV resistant if I understand correctly. I'll be covering these with reflectix as well to keep light out and temps down. These are 15 gallon, 24"x12"x12" tanks made by Tamco. US Plastic has most of this stuff, and unlike Kent their website is decent.

picture.php

Sforza

Veteran
Each plant takes 1.5-2 gallons every 48 hours, so worst case I'd get 2 days out of a reservoir full. But I'm guessing the Blumats will use a good bit less water on average. If nothing else, there won't be a bunch of runoff that I then have to vacuum out and dump down the drain.

I take it that you do not plan to ever be out of town for more than two days at a time? Why not use the Blumat pressure regulator off of your regular water supply along with an automatic shutoff if you have a runaway dripper?

You could go out of town for a couple of weeks with that sort of a system.

Is it because you want to add fertilizer to your res?

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Brilliant.

Brilliant.

***and then for your latch just use a more powerful magnet than used on the studs to pull the door off***inaccessible with out the stronger magnet, you can even put it in a different room to "lock" the door.

this is probably the coolest secret door idea i never thought of, thanks man!

:tiphat:

budderfly

I take it that you do not plan to ever be out of town for more than two days at a time? Why not use the Blumat pressure regulator off of your regular water supply along with an automatic shutoff if you have a runaway dripper?

You could go out of town for a couple of weeks with that sort of a system.

Is it because you want to add fertilizer to your res?

Yes, because I want to feed with the rez. That two days is also a worst case scenario. That's worst case right now hand watering with ~20% runoff. So I entirely expect I'll get more than 2 days from the Blumats. Probably 3 days during their peak feeding weeks and 4-7 outside of that but I guess I'll see.

For me, this is more about saving the time of hand watering than anything. I spend far too much time sitting there dumping water into pots. I have a trusted relative who tends things when I'm out of town for more than a couple days.

Besides, nothing bigger for a rez fits in that room unless I monocrop the whole room on the same schedule.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Wow! Gotta say that was one of the best (albeit one of the longest to complete) hidden room builds I've ever read. Great work - had me hanging on the edge of my seat. Glad you got to keep the house, that shit gets real. Excellent effort. A+

Sforza

Veteran
For me, this is more about saving the time of hand watering than anything. I spend far too much time sitting there dumping water into pots.

It will be a great time saver. I am fairly new to using blumats, but according to what I have seen so far and from other's comments, not only are you going to save lots of time, but you may well find your plants are more vigorous, healthier, and yield more.

Once you have a grow or two under your belt, please update your thread to let us know if you find that your plants are doing better, worse, or about the same as they were when you were hand watering.

qzxc

Just read the whole thread, can't believe I haven't seen this earlier. Amazing room and amazing thread, very motivational. Thank you for this! Glad the bank issues back then solved.

Inb4 gravedig: Everyone should see this. Love it.

Latest posts

Latest posts