What's new

Bueno Grows w/ DIY COB LEDs

nephrosis

DUDE!!!! so how is the product after re-vegging? I have never it up close like this, usually just read it!!!

Looks freaking amazing dude!!! how long does it take for the plants to start in full veg from flower? and how long does it take to fully mature after you pop them back into veg? iv never seen this before

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Good to see you back on the mag.

My GPW is probably going to suck this first round. Plants got too tall and leaves are getting yellowed from the intense light being so close to the COBs. Canopy could have also filled the tent better.

I see those revegs are putting out fresh ruffage lol

:peacock:

DUDE!!!! so how is the product after re-vegging? I have never it up close like this, usually just read it!!!

Looks freaking amazing dude!!! how long does it take for the plants to start in full veg from flower? and how long does it take to fully mature after you pop them back into veg? iv never seen this before

Not sure what you mean about the product but assume maybe your talking about the buds left on to reveg. Im not going to use the buds if thats what you mean, though you could probably smoke or vape them still or make a small amount of hash with them. Going to take a bunch of clones and once I get at minimum of two off each plant to root then Im going to toss the revegs out.

This is only my second time ever revegging and last time was about 10 years ago and from what I remember it took at least a month. This time I had some growth tips just starting at about 8 days on most of them but took the Sugar Jones about 14 days to start to reveg so I think it would depend on overall plant health at harvest time, strain, and how long they were flowered whether they were not quite finished, finished, or over done.

Its a slow process to start reveg, I just kept them watered LIGHTLY once or twice a week.

If you water them too much that might not be a good thing since there isnt much plant mass left the pots dry out so much slower and could lead to issues of starving the root system of oxygen and/or root rot.

For the most part though Id expect about a month of 24 hour light until they have revegged enough to start normal vegetative growth that you can take clones from that dont have odd 1-3 blade leaves or curled growth.

Already spitting out some regular looking leaves! Nice! Mine took a good while to come back fully.

Sitting here waiting for my LED's to arrive from China has been brutal... definitely helps to check in on your thread. Really looking forward to this flowering cycle!

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Changed my mind on which reveggers I was going to run again and decided that most of them there was nothing really too special about that I wouldnt rather search through other phenos from various seeds.

I did end up chopping the buds off the reveggers I killed off, there was a pretty substantial amount I couldnt just throw away. Going to dry them out until pretty crispy and then keif them for what I can. I chopped down the GDPCJ PKCJ3 WHTCJ PLATCJ and have kept the Sugar Kush x Chemmy Jones very Sugar Kush dominant, and Purple Kush x Chemmy Jones pheno 1 which was my least favorite during the grow and now after some curing and smoking it is one of the top 2 of the 6 females last run. She was also the highest yielder of the 6. Has a nice berry smell when breaking the buds up and tastes/smokes with a Chemmyness to it. Its almost like a berry muffin smell when breaking the buds up but not as much as a blueberry muffin pheno would smell like. Still good smelling, I will give her another run from clone.

Once I take some cuts off the SUGCJ and PKCJ1 I am going to also pop some VerdantGreen Las Vegas Purple Kush x Pre98 Bubba Kush fems, I was lucky enough to get one of the few 5 packs that were listed just recently on the bay. I will probably start 2 or 3 of them.

Got my soil mix "cooking" right now its just 2 5 gallon buckets of used FFOF and I added just over a cup of high p bat guano that I had left just to use it up and I added a few pounds (several cups) of EWC, a couple tablespoons of dolomite lime, and about a half cup of ground/powdered crab shell that I made with some crab shells that would have otherwise been thrown away after dinner.

Made some LAB (Lactic Acid Bacteria or Lacto Bacillus) very simply made following dank.frank's recipe using only rice, water, and milk its so easy to make with cheap household items. Mixed 1tbsp of the LAB serum per quart of RO water and wet the recycled FFOF mix down to cook for about 4-6 weeks until I need to use it to transplant the clones and seeds into. The LAB will devour as much of the amendments and organic matter as it can in that time frame making it available to the plants when they go in the mix and reducing the risk of burning the plants from amendments that have not yet been composted.

By no means is this a recommended soil mix, I am just using what I had around to keep the cost down and experiment at the same time. Just letting you guys know a little info on whats going on.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
interesting about the lacto bacillus serum... usually i cooked soil by mixing in some mycorrhizae and watering in some liquid karma solution. after a week or 2 i would get a fine white fuzz growin on the top of the soil. mix that all up and good to go...

will look into whether or not this way is better. keep up the good work

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting about the lacto bacillus serum... usually i cooked soil by mixing in some mycorrhizae and watering in some liquid karma solution. after a week or 2 i would get a fine white fuzz growin on the top of the soil. mix that all up and good to go...

will look into whether or not this way is better. keep up the good work

This is my first time making and trying the Lactobacillus. I usually would just wet the mix with a good ACT or something bacterial and/or fungal heavy. From what little I have read Lactobacillus are very good composters and go to work very quickly to accelerate composting.

Im assuming it should work well but we will see.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got the rest of my LEDs in and the stars sanded down flat and the driver and pk3 thermal paste showed up today. Still no heatsinks yet though.

As soon as the heatsinks come in Im going to go to town on sanding them flat too.
Anyway things are doing ok I guess so far other than some yellowing and the fact the plants got too tall once again in my little tent. Plant tops were dangerously close to the COBs so I moved them out to the sides and angled them in towards the center a bit. Oh well I guess first run can never really be dialed.

Day 28 12/12

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
BLACK SOCKS B!!lol looking good those tops are swelling up should get nice and chunky :biggrin: I might have to try the rice thing to add too som dirt ive got sitting around :tiphat:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The girls are looking great! Nice and healthy!

What seeds are you going to be starting?

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BLACK SOCKS B!!lol looking good those tops are swelling up should get nice and chunky :biggrin: I might have to try the rice thing to add too som dirt ive got sitting around :tiphat:

Ya those a ninja feet bro. I try to have my feet out of the frame when taking pics but somehow they seem to sneak their way in.

The girls are looking great! Nice and healthy!

What seeds are you going to be starting?

As of now for sure going to pop at least 2 or 3 of the VGS LVPK x Pre98 Bubba fems I got a 5 pack of about a month ago.

My buddy is supposed to be hooking me up with 2 TGA Chernobyl and 2 TGA Speed Queen regular seeds but has been real busy moving lately and whatnot, so not going to count on them being around yet when its time to pop more seeds. If they are I will probably start those 4 too. If not then I might try some more Pineapple Express x Cheese n Chaze.

This pheno of PECC I got this round is interesting scented already smells like a cheesy tropical fruit when I touch the trichs.

Somewhat burned out on the Chemmy Jones crosses for now probably wont pop any more of those for a little while. They are all different due to the different mothers used but also similar in some ways, since they all have the same father.

Most likely going to run a clone of the SUGCJ and PKCJ1 along with a few of the LVPKxPre98s and see what else might get tossed in the mix by then.

clp

Hey Bueno I'm looking into building these Cobs and was wondering what size your tent is as well as what your ventilation looks like. I'm going to be running these in a stealth cabinet that's 36" x 20" x 64" and am not sure what kind of additional ventilation I will need since these are not very hot. Is it possible to not have an extractor fans and just passive ventilation from the cooling fans or is this unrealistic?

Thanks!
CLP

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Bueno I'm looking into building these Cobs and was wondering what size your tent is as well as what your ventilation looks like. I'm going to be running these in a stealth cabinet that's 36" x 20" x 64" and am not sure what kind of additional ventilation I will need since these are not very hot. Is it possible to not have an extractor fans and just passive ventilation from the cooling fans or is this unrealistic?

Thanks!
CLP

The tent is 18"x30"x36" actually a hair smaller but close. Im using a 8" diameter passive intake and a 80cfm exhaust fan blowing out through a carbon filter. Right now with the 2 COBs at 1.4A each ~104w of lighting power it is running 4 degrees over ambient.

I am however seriously looking at getting either a 20x36x62 or 24x36x60 tent so I have plenty of headroom and a little more breathing room/floor space to work with.

You will need an exhaust fan for sure to keep your cab cool, without fresh air flowing through the temp would just climb in over time as heat builds up and as that is happening the LEDs/heatsinks are also running hotter and hotter reducing the life span of the COBs and reducing their lumen output over time. (The hotter the COBs run the less time they last and the more lumen depreciation that takes place with use.)

If you are only using two of these modules an 80-100cfm exhaust fan and good passive intake size should do you alright in that space. Of course you can use a larger cfm fan and run it dimmed down or something too.

clp

Awesome thanks for the insight Bueno. Any idea what fan you are using? I've got a canfan but it's super loud.

Also, do you think you could have gotten away with passive cooling vs active and why'd you choose active? It would lower sound and wiring on my end if I could.

Much appreciated!

Last edited:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last night I was breaking into my stash of The White that has been curing for like 16 months now, only a few grams of each left from the scrog harvest I did with The White and Blackberry Kush.

I was breaking a bowl up of The White and bam a nice healthy seed is found. :woohoo: Oh what could be hidden in this little gem? Its either a White s1 or White x Blackberry Kush. Im thinking its a White s1 by looking at the seed color and striping patterns of the WHTxCJ seeds I made it looks a lot like them whereas the BlackberryXCJ and BBCJxSWT#4 seeds I made all have a dark almost black look to them which I am sure is the Blackberry Kush mothers seed appearance (its the only plant Ive ever seen make seeds this dark almost black).

If it is White x Blackberry that would be badass cuz I wanted to do that cross by reversing the Blackberry Kush and hitting The White (or vice versa) but I didnt end up doing the project before I ran the mothers in the SCROG run and let the cuts go. If it is a White s1 that is still pretty cool though. Just hope whatever it is turns out to be a nice female and doesnt hermie.

Going to be popping this seed along with the others I already mentioned for the next run, Im thinking.

Awesome thanks for the insight Bueno. Any idea what fan you are using? I've got a canfan but it's super loud.

Also, do you think you could have gotten away with passive cooling vs active and why'd you choose active? It would lower sound and wiring on my end if I could.

Much appreciated!

Its a Panasonic Whisper FV-08VKS2 and blowing out through a Mountain Air 6"x20" MA620 carbon filter. The Mountain Air I have is the 265cfm rated version with 2" thick carbon bed, the Mountain Air "Big Air" version is rated at 375cfm for the same size can but the carbon layer is not as thick so it doesnt work as well or last as long. I cant say I would recommend the fan since it gets a little noisy when using a carbon filter but blowing through the carbon filter is about the only thing that kept this fan usable for me noise wise. Sucking through a DIY carbon filter made the fan sound like a jet airplane way too loud. Also if the tent wasnt in a closet with sliding door closed on the tent side I would hear the exhaust for sure but the way it is setup with the carbon filter at the far end of the closed side of the closet, it muffles the sound very well and is almost completely inaudible in the room, it has to be silent and you have to be standing by the closet to hear a slight noise of airflow.

I went with active cooling to keep cost down on the heatsinks and also wanted to keep the modules small so they dont take up much space and can be moved around and positioned where I need them more easily.

You can no doubt passively cool the COBs but you will need a different style heatsink and quite a bit larger and more expensive cost for the materials but it would help out to keep noise levels down running passive cooling. Also if the fan were to fail on an active setup the COBs could be damaged or even burn out depending on how hot they get so it is safer to use passive cooling in that aspect too.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 23 of reveg 24hr lighting. Hoping to take a couple clones off each lady in a week or two. A week would be great. Got the seedling/clone mix ready its just half of the recycled ocean forest mix that I added a few amendments to and the other half coco, should keep them from burning is the plan.

SUGCJ

picture.php

PKCJ1

picture.php

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We've got some yellowing action going on a little early this run. I suspect it is due to mixing in used and fresh from the bag FFOF. The used was used on plants that were grown from seed until a week or little more into flower (about 5 weeks in my case) and then chopped and shook the root balls out into 5 gallon buckets and saved it. That and 1/2 gallon grow bags will lead to faster depleting of the nutrients in the container of soil or soil-less mix. Maybe also the more intense light of the COBs is using the available nutes faster or a combo of any of said factors.

Also some yellowing can be seen on the tops where they are a bit too close to the light.

They are looking pretty good other than that though the bud formations are looking very dense and crystal coated already.

Waiting on the damn heatsink bars I ordered from heatsinkUSA and they emailed me yesterday that my order was marked waiting for payment but when they checked they saw I had paid the day of the order with paypal so they apologized and got them out today but wont be here until Monday :( I could use the R/B bars in there on the sides where the main buds have grown up past the light output angle of the COBs. I cant move the COBs up any higher in the tent so just going to have to do the best I can for a little bit.

This will not be an issue next run.

Anyway enough rambling.

Day 32 12/12

Blackberry Jones on left and Cheesy Pineapple Haze on the right

picture.php

Cheesy Pineapple Haze

picture.php

Blackberry Jones

picture.php