What's new

Budget LED options?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm gonna swap a whole rooms worth of hps out for leds myself gonna swap 4800w hps out for 5760w LEDs gonna go with quantum boards can pick up the boards and heatsinks pretty Dam cheap from China..

I just did a row. Swapping 1200w of son, for 1500w of QB. I used an old and well known seller I have used before. Kingbrite. I found the sweet spot in his range was the 240w (lamp power) lm301b boards at $100 and decided on the $110 version with some 301s swapped out for 660nm lumileds.

I could of put more money down on cree 660s or used the newer lm301 with the anti sulfration tech. But if these last 5 years, I can swap the led boards, and use my heatsink and the meanwell ballast again.

I had a look about, and found the correction factor that allows a lumen meter to compare the ppfd of a 3k led with a sodium lamp. The lumen count from the leds is worth 50% more. Under the 600s, boosted to 660w, I got 70,000 at a cf truncheon's distance. (who moved the tape measure?) but in the corner of a meter lit by a single lamp, just 10,000. I then moved the the leds. Under them, about the same 70,000 but remember it's worth 100,000. Then in the corner, 20,000 but it's worth 30,000 (a lot better than 10,000) and that 70,000 area was bigger anyway.

Stood between the rows, even with the son's down to 400, you could feel they were baking you, while the led side just seemed warm.

It is too early to talk about the plants. The environment looks nice though. Postage on the 6 boards wasn't shocking, and took a week. By the time you pay customs, presuming you don't ask for a low invoice value, they will be £150 each. For 240w lamp power. If you go DIY you might achieve 300w for your £150 but these come with yoyo's and a few cable ties. With a room your size, the extra expenditure might save you a weeks worth of construction.

Paragraph on how we hung them:
We have been to argos, and got the £10 clothes rails, 2 for £15. Each holds 3 light units, making it good for a meter. The poles they use are 22mm so we swap them for copper pipe. Making them taller, and also wider. Standard width is ~80cm but we go with 100cm. The supplied 80cm pole holds the 3 lights, and just two yoyo's hang the 80cm pole below the 100cm pole. So the three lights go up&down using two yoyo's. The clothes rails never move. It's just simple. If your room allows them (they can be screwed down to bigger feet). This fixed group of 3 is nice, as the power tails are quite short on meanwell ballasts. But they just come together, with an inch between the 200mm wide lights.

I'm a bit screwed, as with hid causing enough evaporation to empty a tank a day, the CF is just 14. But the leds don't force the same uptake, so to get the same food in that day, I need a CF around 17. It's just one watering system though. So something has to give. I can't do a side by side. I can't feed both sides properly.

Dank Demon

Growing herb is a way of life!
Veteran
I have recently switched to a GN Telos 0010 300watt from a DE 600 watt sodium, and currently doing a side by side comparison, and I am liking the results so far!! Will try and get some pics up soon a new thread on my LED grow. Stay safe.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Pics speak a thousand words fe :)

Indeed they do. I was wishing I had some as I wrote it. Maybe soon though. As I will likely post about extracting the air from them. I have made my first prototype, but the outline plan is a fan on each, blowing toward the main filter. Not ducted. Ducting is messy and never transmits heat far (unless insulated). A stream of air, or column, seems to stay more intact over short distances. Just sending it up in the right direction is something though.

It's a small distinction, but this is about extracting the hot air, rather than cooling the light.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Pics speak a thousand words fe :)

Back once again, power to the people.

I got your pics bud, although it's still work in progress. I described something not yet done. Here I have all the lights hung individually from the clothes rail. What I should really do is take out this top tube, along with all the lights hanging from it. Then put in a new top tube, that this light laiden one can hang from, using just two rope ratchets. The result being that the lights move with two ropes, rather than using the height adjustment of the clothes rail. Unfortunately you cant see the thumb screws that allow the height adjustment of the rails, as they're at top net height.

They don't fall, as the net frame both steadies them, and shelters them.

The poles method is not particularly cheap, at £7.50 a rail set (based on buying a pair) and 3 meters of 22mm copper is about £15. It might of been better suited to the 3x600w over 2.4 meters duty. However, it's quick to assemble, and quick to pack. I have long poster tubes (carpet) and chop the poles as I buy them. It's a lot less suspect than a load of wood. I can justify it to myself.

You might also spot a cooling fan just installed. The dangling wire being a gave away that it's a quick test. It dropped the light from about 65c to 60c in this 30c environment. So about a 6th of the heat gain. Not monumental alone, but with them all done, you chip away at that 30c that your hovering 30c above. Removing 20% of the heat load you might estimate. I like my air to come up through the plants, so this multiple fan design should really help with air distribution. Working in unison with the fan cooled led up-lighters below. I have about 50w a meter of clu1212 down there, which yield more per watt than the 600s above did. Likely helped by each having a pc fan pointing upwards. As does the fan on the light. Which can surly have it's skirt worked on for better efficiency.

I literally just set up my LEDs in one of my rooms , I had been comfortably rubbing 4800-6000w hps but over the last year my yields have plummeted across all room pretty much due to a number of factors , I thought fuck this fuck summer I know in gonna struggle , went over to kingbrite an bought myself 48 Samsung lm301b boards with the epistar red..
At first I tried to use cheap AC/DC transformers tried to match the amps ended up with a 20.8amp/1000w transformer I only needed 15.2amp /720w well guess what the boards took the whole 1000w watt plus more an blew up a couple of em plus they put out soo much heat was unbearable..
In the end I just went an bought a load of mean well hlg-600h-48b drivers and hung them an wired everything up in turn I've basically swapped hps for led watts and my room can manage it fine. Had half on today an only put 2c in my room.
Did wanna try drop 2x far red 600w hps but I don't think my room will handle that an all might get a couple 150watters..

U'll have to excuse the bad plants they got mad stressed when I potted em up they got a really bad feed plus I been working in the room with them in there..

Blazeee

Veteran
I literally just set up my LEDs in one of my rooms , I had been comfortably rubbing 4800-6000w hps but over the last year my yields have plummeted across all room pretty much due to a number of factors , I thought fuck this fuck summer I know in gonna struggle , went over to kingbrite an bought myself 48 Samsung lm301b boards with the epistar red..
At first I tried to use cheap AC/DC transformers tried to match the amps ended up with a 20.8amp/1000w transformer I only needed 15.2amp /720w well guess what the boards took the whole 1000w watt plus more an blew up a couple of em plus they put out soo much heat was unbearable..
In the end I just went an bought a load of mean well hlg-600h-48b drivers and hung them an wired everything up in turn I've basically swapped hps for led watts and my room can manage it fine. Had half on today an only put 2c in my room.
Did wanna try drop 2x far red 600w hps but I don't think my room will handle that an all might get a couple 150watters..

U'll have to excuse the bad plants they got mad stressed when I potted em up they got a really bad feed plus I been working in the room with them in there..

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80708&pictureid=1959353&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

You should set up a grow thread, I would love to see some regular updates on your room over here on IC

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Whereabout you guys based in china?
Im heading to yiwu in summer.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80708&pictureid=1959353&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
how many plants you grow in your grow room, How many grams do you get each time

You should set up a grow thread, I would love to see some regular updates on your room over here on IC

I might just have to do that, I run near enough everything different in every room which is always a bit of a headache always encountering some bumpy roads along the way I know there's plenty knowledge people here so might pick a few things up..

I was a member over at firestax had a grow thread over there now that's gone I've lost a ton of old photos from rooms of the past..

@Mars hydro led
I was running 4800w hps in this room , last run I hit around 0.7gpw with something like 40 plants , this run is going to be 48 plants , 48 quantum boards.. hoping to push that gpw up and over 1gram per watt which from my understanding should be an easy task..

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
2 xt zeus boards With one Hyper Red and Far Blue in aluminum Frame with dimmle Quatum Boards from Samsumg ;) with cost without shipping 370 pfund

let me know if have questions about it :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Little update on my heat extraction, as it could influence a purchase.

Having had time to settle, the canopy is 30c, with the cooled part of my light at 56 and the other end at 63. A nice 7c different. So the cooled end is 26 above ambient and the other end 33 above. So almost 25% of the heat is being drawn away, by a 2500rpm 60mm fan. Very poorly implemented.

For a while I looked at fan cooled commercial light units, finding that each actually pulled air in from above, and blew it out the sides. With a number of such lights, you get a hot air blanket above the plants, which if not disturbed by other forces, will rise up and supply the fans again. A cycle which under certain controlled circumstances... well if you're going to get my drift, you can already finish this post for me.

Kree73

I found these on amazon and I was interested in giving them a shot.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-380nm-840nm-Emitter-Components-Hydroponic/dp/B07439ZY67/ But it almost seems too good to be true, 50 watt for 7$ a piece. I'm currently running 2x vipar spectra 300 and 1x qb288. I LOVE the qb288, but it's hot at 100% so I normally run it at 90%. My first grow was entirely under the 2x vipars, was about 140$ for both lamps.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=74127
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74127&pictureid=1785378&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74127&pictureid=1782377&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

7 bucks a piece . Did you take their shoulder when you ripped their arm off . Lol . Bargain:woohoo:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I think it's true that 400w of QB can replace 600w of sodium.

The cost breakdown is good. A decent 600 is £150 and a new lamp £35 a year. So £290 over 5 years. Presuming you don't change your shade, and perhaps pfc capacitors, as you should. While 480w of QB costs the same. If you add the far reds, which bumps it up a bit.

I would rather use the Leds. Them wires for dimming, can all be connected together, and a common psu used to dim the lot together. You can get a 3-12v variable psu with led voltage readout for £8 now. 3 -10v offers a good degree of adjustment. Though it would be nice to get lower than 3v for the real dim levels. While anything over 10v is pointless, as 10v is full brightness. Still... £8 for a dimmer that's easy to turn down, then back to the exact same place (courtesy of the led readout)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Nice one fe looks like a great set up!

I have almost fixed them..

Next to dim the room. The ballast has a 2 core wire for dimming. A White negative and blue positive. A variable resistor is supplied. I have the blue to the central pin of the resistor, which is the sweep. It moves along the track, from one end where the white is connected, to the other. I need a get a variable 10v supply. Wired with it's neg to the white side of the variable resistor, and it's positive to the other end of the resistors track (not currently in use). Then, The sweep will move from the white wire at zero volts, across the track to the other end where the power supply's voltage is. So I can set the light anywhere from dim, to the power supply set brightness. This power supply will loop from light to light, turning them all up and down, while the resistors at each can lower that individual light further.

edit: Note the hanging eye's. Used the wrong way up, you can sit them on the floor now, and pack them face to face with a couple of cableties

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
Hydrogrow led are pretty decent.. ive always had good results with their kit.. not to sure on price but my units have paid for themselves in 1 grow and left me with xtra so you cant really loose out...

This was auto ultimate from dutch passion grown under an old series penertrator.. not only did th3 light pay for itself i also had left over ...

There also on this forum somewhere..

picture.php

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
I had a white sirius aswell grown under the same company lights .. so yeah i can vouch for them...

picture.php