What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bubba Kush S1s: Info and grow-along

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Well, I might’ve pushed her a little hard. Had some pH imbalance problems. I think and hope those are behind us now... and as she moves into flower, I think she should recover. (like fingers crossed and shit).

Oh, and I think she might be the one...

picture.php

This was just prior to a 5gal upgrade. :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good luck shmavis!

huckster, i would go steady on the defol, maybe remove a few leaf fingers or cut off half the leaf rather than remove all of it. bubba can be slow and defol wont help.
that said im not really a fan of defoliation myself so ymmv
VG

magher

bubbakush bloom a 55 day
#2,5 very yeld plant, smell as LA affie...last 15 day leaf come purple
interesting pheno #1, more sticky and different bud structure

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
H

Huckster79

Mine grows like a couch locked stoned turtle ... hope shes worth it... :)

H

Huckster79

good luck shmavis!

huckster, i would go steady on the defol, maybe remove a few leaf fingers or cut off half the leaf rather than remove all of it. bubba can be slow and defol wont help.
that said im not really a fan of defoliation myself so ymmv
VG

Sounds very reasonable
And wise
And im really begining to side in with you on defoliation in general as well...

LostTribe

Premium user
Just like the 2 I popped! The best thing is making this into BHO.....its simply bliss! Crazy classy terpenes in the BubbaKoil!

Thank you VG! I hit these both with Sour OG pollen too!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
magher those finished buds look great, love the variation in autumn colours too, great buds nicely faded and finished, respect.
thanks for posting

i will send a new batch of these seeds as soon as clarence is back at the bay in a week or two
VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Hrpuffnkush! tell is more about the bubba being an S1 - i love to hear all the bubba history stuff :)

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Via Matt bubba the guy from Florida who found and grew the bubba , there were bag seeds from weed acquired in Northern California that was brought to Florida ..

RulaTone

Veteran
This is the story as Matt explained..
BubbaKush should be a cross between NL and their OgK

The Legend of Bubba Kush
By Matt@Compassion RI
While hanging out with some patient friends one day, I listened to some guys trying to convince me that "Kush" is an actual strain of cannabis. They told me, "There's indica, sativa, and then there's Kush!" I tried to explain that there are four cannabis strains: hemp sativa, sativa, indica, and ruderalis. There is ofen a fifth category, afganica, added as an indica subset. Kush is just another type, or culivar of cannabis like haze, skunk, and disel. This made me very unpopular and I left soon afterwards. In the weeks following I have hought hard about how strongly so many people feel about Kush plants. I mean, Kush could be considered an india subset just like afganica? Regardless of how it's classified, what's so special about kush? I decided to do some extensive research...
According to Wikipedia:
Kush refers to a subset of strains of cannabis indica. The origins of Kush cannabis are from landrace plants mainly in Afganistan, Northern Pakistan and North-Wesern India with the name coming from the Hindu Kush mountain range. "Hindu Kush" strains of cannabis were brought to the United States in the mid-to-late 1970s and continue to be avaliable there to the present day
With this mystery solved I had written off the idea that there could be some "other Kush" out there until recently.
Many of the 1000 Watts staff attended the 2011 Cannabis Cup in Denver this spring where they had the opportunity to visit much of the area as well as to meet many people. Of the many people met, there was one that stood out from the crowd as someone that I had to follow up with, a man said to be the orginal breeder and creator of the Bubba Kush cultivar. Being a huge medical cannabis researcher and connoisseur myself, it seemed so appropriate that my search for the real story behind the bubba Kush would lead me to a dispensary, rightfully named, The Cannasseur.
As I drove down Tennyson St. approaching the Cannasseur I couldn't help but feel rather at home in the pleasant neighborhood dual zoned homes now housing various stores and businesses with inviting fronts prompting people to walk up and down the sidewalks in the pleasant Denver weather. Upon entering The Cannasseur, you'll notice the bench and rocking chair on the front porch to the right and a small service will window to the left of the door that will remind you that you are at a place of business. Inside you will find and inviting, open pathway to the medicine counter and friendly staff including the owner Matt Berger, Bubba himself. The Cannasseur is comprised of a dream team including Bubba and two partners which are amazing master growers and genetic gurus and have turned The Cannasseur into one of the premier dispensaries in Colorado. They are incredibly good at cranking out ridiculously good hydro-organic cannabis. They have taken their Kush and hybrids and have maximized their genetic potential, growing some super strong, sticky medicine. After checking out the impressive Kush collection on deck I sat down with Bubba to discover the origins of the Bubba Kush
It was in 1992 that Matt and one of his current two partners were hanging out in Florida. They were two entrepreneurs who were enjoying the weather and opportunities in Gainesville when another of Bubba's friends came up from Miami with a bag of ridiculously good sticky bud that he had picked up while down in Miami. After smoking out of the bag for a few days they noticed that there were a few seeds in the bag. The bud was so good they popped the seeds to see what they would get. As expected, the plants produced excellent bud. Having kept clones of the plants, Matt continued to grow the best of the plants which remained nameless until the older brother of his friends came to visit. The older brother said the buds looked like Kush berries that grow over in Indonesia. Finding the name kushberry unacceptable, Matt decided to call the plant "Kush." Bubba continued to cultivate the Kush.
While in New orleans visiting with a friend who went to Tulane in 1994. His frat brother, who was from Northern California, was getting really nice bud shipped in from the Humboldt area. It was always really good stuff, but one day then received some Northern Lights that was stellar and just happened to have a few seeds in the bag. Of course, he kept the seeds and sprouted them, growing them out to see which would be the best. After careful selection Bubba found the plant that he would continue to cultivate. He recalled saying to his friend, "Now that's some good bubba!" after they had tried some of the cured buds. Since "bubba" is a typical southern nickname and a good friend or that a good fellow is often called, Bubba decided to name the plant "bubba" after himself and all his bubbas. He continued to grow the bubba, the Kush and a purple indica along with an experiemental Kush cross called kY.
Fast-forward to 1996, Bubba moves to Los Angeles to reunite with his old friends and explore new opportunities. Of course, cutting of all his plant genetics managed to magically show up in California where he continued to clutivate. Once in Cali, Bubba discontinued the kY and only kept growing the purple indica, bubba, and the Kush. These three plants began to gain quite a bit of popularity out west and Bubba began supplaying one of his friends whom we will call an associate of Cypress Hill. At the time his friend and Cypress Hill had been really enjoying the purple indica and the bubba when they noticed a couple of seeds in the bag of bubba they had. Bubba knew immediately that it was from his Kush that hermaphrodited and pollinated his Purple Indica (rise of the Purple Kush) and of course, the Bubba. This was the birth of the Bubba Kush, with credit being given to Cypress Hill for discovering the seeds. Bubba eventually discarded the other crosses, but continued to cultivate the Kush and the BUbba Kush and has gained much popularity for it. Since moving to Colorado and starting The Cannasseur with his two partners. Matt continues to stay in contact with the Cypress Hill and was at the "Spring Gathering" in San Bernardino, CA where they hung out earlier this year.
So it turns out that there ar enow many Kush hybrids out, especially in California, that are actually from the Kush genetics that Bubba found in Florida back in 1992 as opposed to being from plants known to have genetics originating in the Hindu Kush region. I thank Bubba for taking the tim eto tell me the story behind the Bubba Kush. Bubba is definitely one of the coolest guys you'll run into and the meds The Cannasseur are producing will really impress you. You have to try the Kurple Fantasy, The Cannasseur's most recent and krippling strain, the Madarin Kush ( another Cannasseur creation) and the Alien OG are also spectacular. Be sure to stop by at 4345 Tennyson St, Denver, CO 80212 and tell them Matt from 1000 Watts sent you. Look for reviews on Weedsmaps, videos on WeedMapstv, Marijuanaheroes.com and Will Breathes from Westwood Magazine. Also check out Bubba's bubba, B-Real of Cypress Hill, for his new interactive web tv show for brealtv.com every weekday from 4-6pm cst.
Matt Madison

Kaizen44

Interesting that pre98 bubba leaves are always slightly droopy. Potchimp pointed me here since i thought I was overwatering my pre98 cut from DHN. I ended up reading the entire thread. I gotta say if I ever decide to grab some seeds yours have looked awesome through the forum.

C.O.B.

VG, thread was a very nice read. Enjoyed reading thru all the drops and the missed drops over the years. I even clicked on a seedbay link that was in a post that was a couple years old and saw some of your newer work before realizing it wasn't a current drop. I'll definitely be waiting the next. Peace.

C.O.B.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks cob, hopefully next drop will be soon, just waiting for a reply from clarence!

edit: thanks rula for the history! the only thing i wonder about the claims that the bubba is a cross is that the S1s breed pretty true and there is no segregation of traits that you would expect if it was an F1 hybrid. i have always suspected it is an inbred line but hey i'm just another guy who has read all the stories and can only make guesses, perhaps educated ones...

Last edited:
H

Huckster79

So im about 55 days in, she looks awesome, buds are very nice size and are hard as rocks, sticky sobs too... however i have very little smell. Ive been told thats not untypical of these varieties that grow such rock hard buds till they are ground up? Temps 60 low 75 high rh 40 to 50, the gorilla glue that just finished was stinky! Just worrked, any thoughts?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey huckster, i would say that the bubba isnt a massive stinker in growth and yes the buds smell strongly when broken up, i dont remember anyone else saying that the bubba S1s didnt smell strong enough so hopefully you will be ok!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in other news, i finally sent 30 packs of the Bubba S1s in to Clarence today after hearing back from him last week. he should have a few relists too i think so there should be plenty packs when they get listed - look out!

Latest posts

Latest posts