What's new

Bruised Nuts

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Nice work GMT not sure it this has been asked does having three sets of leaves really increase yield.

They really spread, that's basically the main benefit of it, a bit like scrog. they aren't just growing to the "left" and "right" of each node they're going in three directions so branches spread over more area more quickly.

BN also has really good root growth, and is a strong grower... though whether that's "Tri" or just GMT's selection work for vigorous and widely spreading plants is hard to say. I miss BN, it definately needs to be in my next grow, fuck this prohibition.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I tried to pop some seeds a few weeks back and got nothing, a week ago I chucked all my remaining BN seeds into the soil.

Thus far only one has showed any action, not sure if it's a tri yet, only got its root visible so far.

Either way I'll do my best to preserve it, I have f1 cross seeds already which seem more viable, which may be partially because they're a lot fresher. Hope some more of the pure BN will come up but I'm not sure

Last edited:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks DT

Hmmmm, I'm terrible at that SD. All i can really say is it smokes like you are soaking in a hot bath.

^Sounds about right

I'm a terrible smoke reporter but BN is very relaxing
nice one gmt,,,,,like yourself and demonpidgeon,,, I am pretty crap at describing also,,,soaking in a hot bath is my version of being nailed to the sofa,,i think lol,,,s2

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Update. I have a sickly looking Bruised Nuts seedling and though it seems to be struggling to open it's cotyledons it is a tri :) it's not looking great but as it was apparently the last living BN seed I had left it must be somewhat of a survivor, hoping it will be ok.

If it's female I'll try to reverse a clone though I've not done it before. If it's male I suppose I could try to graft it with a female and self pollinate that way?

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Update: Sad to say the seedling died, I've got two BN f1 crosses that have established well though.

Also got more f1 cross seeds in the bag incase anything goes wrong.

Will hopefully be looking for some tris in the f2 generation and maybe making more crosses back to the f1 to preserve as much BN as possible.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Hello GMT,
Do you have lines of whorled phyllotaxy that are NLD Sativas?
I hate most WLD Indicas.
What % of the plants are 3, 4, 5, 6 sets of leaves?
-SamS

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey Sam,
Not sure what nld stands for sorry. Also sorry for the late reply, just got a way of getting online again.
I haven't started on my whorled offspring yet, too little space for multiple projects. The last batch of tris were tested by independent testers at 1 in 3 plants having 3 sets per node, and the same line is responsible for the quads. They are far less predictable, and pop up out of the blue at around 1 in 40-50 plants.
As for the 5 sets of leaves, well that turned out to be a fasciated plant, and mothered the sees I planned to use for that project.
The last 12 months though, I have been searching for parents to create outcrosses with. I not only wanted to play, but also looked for lines with multi sexed flowers, in order to switch out the sex genes with the stable bn to see if that could be "cured". Out if interest, I found the line I worked with, the problem seemed to be autosomal rather than faulty sex chromosomes. Of course that doesn't mean that would always be the case.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
(edit: sorry! I got left and right confused, hope you read the labels on the picture instead of believing me)

NLD - Narrow Leaf Drug
WLD - Wide Leaf Drug

If memory serves

I'm sure GMT will have lots to write but here's a picture (BN is bottom RIGHT).

picture.php

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Learn something new every time I login here .
Quite honestly I can't say I have noticed much of a correlation between the high and the leaf shape. Most these days seem to be halfway between the skinny haze and the the tom hill style cabbages. So I guess mine are MLD medium leaf drug.

geomancer

Thanx GMT for all your great work, good to see;
I've been interested in these-type plants for a very long time.

Those SquareGrouper/SquarePig bales of Gold/Red Columbian flooding North America
in the 1970s had a very high ratio of Whorled Phyllotaxy and Faciated plants
in (the abundant) seeds...

Reactions: GMT

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
That's interesting, after trying to trace the origins of the tri, I have come to the conclusion that it goes back further than strains do. There don't seem to be any geographical areas where they can't be found to varying degrees within the population.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Thankyou
I don't have the big gallery up at the moment, but there are still some folders on my homepage showing 2,3,4 & 5s but the 5's can't really be called true as they fasciated and are very rare even for this line.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Learn something new every time I login here .
Quite honestly I can't say I have noticed much of a correlation between the high and the leaf shape. Most these days seem to be halfway between the skinny haze and the the tom hill style cabbages. So I guess mine are MLD medium leaf drug.
The NLD and WLD stand basically for 'sativa' and 'indica', respectively. It's something Hillig et al. introduced due their finding that (simply put) C. sativa is hemp and C. indica is drug. What we call 'sativa' is just a C. indica with narrow leaves... Hence, Sam was referring to 'indicas' (mainly Afghani/Paki varieties). MLD does not exist LoL.

Sorry to burst in like that, I was only searching for an excuse and still add something useful to get e-mail updates when you post new pics ;) . I really wonder why your plants have that trait; too cool that it's inheritable!
Does it passes on the trait also when you take a 'tri' male and cross it with a normal female from a different variety?

Reactions: GMT

DemonPigeon

Veteran
To try to confuse the issue further personally I don't think NLD and WLD will exist for much longer either.
I'm reading "Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany" at the moment and its a really good look at how Hemp diverged from narcotic types and how NLD and WLD separated. However when we talk modern drug cultivars we're almost always talking plants without one particular genetic source, certainly almost never plants that have a well verified geographic provenance. (That said I've not finished the book yet so maybe it'll change my mind before the end, I find it hard to argue with anything written by robert clarke since if it wasn't for his other books I might never have got into cannabis in the same way).

At the moment though in terms of species I'm yet to see hemp as a distinct species to Narcotic strains any more than I see golden retrievers as a different species to doberman :p I mean just like cannabis they cross easily and share an environment i.e. human cultivation ;)

And Etiene De Meijer found that chemotype and other characteristics have very little correlation in "Diversity in Cannabis".

I guess I buy WLD and NLD and Hemp as ancestral groups but I don't think they're good characterisations of the kind of modern strains that are now going to shape tomorrows strains.

GMT's pics from his garden always look more WLD shaped to me than the leaf phenotype expressed in my cabinet using his seeds, I guess it just proves that leaf shape is influenced by environment, though I thought the main factors on leaf shape were genetic and then altitude/pressure as a secondary one, neither of which can be that different between our grows. Perhaps light intensity or soil vs coir are the important differences between his results and my results with his seeds.

In terms of leaflet proportion and terminal point it has fairly intermediate leaflet proportions.

It does have proportionally very long petioles (leaf-stems) which is an "Indica" (WLD) characteristic, bushy plants need leaves at a greater distance from the stem to stop from it shading itself out as much as it otherwise would. where as unbranched plants save resources through having shorter stems and don;t suffer from shading meaning that selection generally ties petiole length to growth shape (though obviously we as growers can circumvent that) I saw one or two double serrations which are more "sativa" (NLD) because it indicates a sensitivity to nitrogen levels, but not actually very many of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts