What's new

Bruised Nuts

MrMMJ

I'll be flowering my Tri male in a 4x4 along with a couple of his sisters. I gather I'm more likely to find a tri female among those, then I would going through more of the seeds that originally produced the male I have ? I'm looking forward to trying to self some tri girls.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
HAF, yeah that's the OPT genes coming through.

Mmj, the trait is not sex linked, so there's no more chance of finding a boy or a girl. But I hope you find something useful in your search.
Looking forwards to hearing about your selfing results.

MrMMJ

What I meant was to assume I'd have a better chance of finding tri's, regardless of sex, from seeds from a cross of my Tri male with one of his sisters from the same batch of seed he came from, rather than looking for more tri's to show up out of that original batch.
I wound up isolating the male and flowering it by itself. Began collecting the pollen yesterday. Planning on using it on a couple of the next batch I sprout. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a tri female in that batch to dust ! I'll try my best to document that run, though I always seem to be too busy to do half the things I want to....

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
MrMMJ, yeah I like that plan. You should find a few if not in this gen, resisting the next gen with the same pollen would deff give a few.

Klompen, yeah you'll find good girls and naughty girls. To care for them and have them revert to normal is annoying, but just makes the good girls worth their weight in gold. (Well, gold just hit $2k an ounce so not quite).

I just popped 6 tri seedlings myself. Will pop a few more next week and see how mine behave.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
One of my tris reverted to normal, (so it's now gone) but I also got a quad, so swings and roundabouts.

MrMMJ

Finished flowering my tri male, got a decent amount of pollen stored now. Getting ready to put a new cover on my greenhouse, (24'x100', made it 6yrs on original, finally starting to degrade and get a more brittle feel) and build a couple new systems inside, so I've stopped growing for a bit. Once I'm back up and running, I'll get a few of his sisters going and give them a good dusting.

Good luck with your new batch !

Klompen

Its weird, but she and her clones keep kind of switching back and forth between trifoliate and regular growth. The big thing that excites me is just how absurdly dense her nodes are. Even just vegging she looks like she's in early flower from all the little branches. I am so eager to get her flowering here ASAP. I will put some pics of her up in the next day or two.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
MrMMJ , Man that's a big greenhouse, my garden isn't that big, my indoor area isn't 10% of that. With all that room, you should have no problem completing your project in a fraction of the time mine is taking.

Klompen, that's weird, once mine revert, I haven't seen them start the trait again. Looking forward to the pics.

Klompen

She just sort of switches back and forth as she grows. Some branches turn out a bit normal and then start to swirl, but a couple have done the opposite lol... Mostly she's just packed with branches...

Last pic is the clones of her. The traits seem to be continuing with them as well. I took tons of different cuts off my photoperiod plants and these are the only two that survived it all. The good news is that one of them was a top and is very hardy as a result, plus the clones that took were of the one plant I can't easily replace. I'll try to do a more proper job of cloning soon here when the new cabinet construction is all done.

She survived 4 days without power recently, but only looks a bit rough for it. She handled it far better than any of the others did though. So far she's proving tough.

Last edited:

Klompen

I really do. It makes it look 10x more purple. I'm planning to rethink my lights completely but we're broke as a joke right now and so we'll see! Definitely want something with a lot less heat.