What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messodas

Thank you Retro for informations...

I'm from Europe and we have the same shit here, broad mites I mean...
I've been growing past 14 years and last spring my troubles began.
First with fungus gnats, then /symphilids/symphylans but I battle this,
then this year BM.
I tried heat treatment twice. First time I could reach temps up to 43.3C,
Second up to 57 on the top and around 47Degreas C on the flor.
It is difficult because we have 30cm of snow and minus5 outside.
I've been giving them aspirin past 10 days, I'm in 25day of flowering.
Ihave read this treat twice in past week, so all my hopes are in heat
Treatment, I will try again this Saturday.
I have big troubles with the things that you are talking about, couse
here you can't get half of that, like Avid or Mosquito Dunks,...
Thanks

Messodas

They will not send it to our country, like Mosquito Dunks, cause they are not registered over here.
Last year I tried to buy Mdunks online, but I could not. At the end a friend of mine, who went to US on a business trip, brought it in a personal baggage. 6x2 pieces. I'm out of them already. They didn't kill fungus gnats for good, but I could maintain a low population and get a decent yield.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Thank you Retro for informations...

I'm from Europe and we have the same shit here, broad mites I mean...
I've been growing past 14 years and last spring my troubles began.
First with fungus gnats, then /symphilids/symphylans but I battle this,
then this year BM.
I tried heat treatment twice. First time I could reach temps up to 43.3C,
Second up to 57 on the top and around 47Degreas C on the flor.
It is difficult because we have 30cm of snow and minus5 outside.
I've been giving them aspirin past 10 days, I'm in 25day of flowering.
Ihave read this treat twice in past week, so all my hopes are in heat
Treatment, I will try again this Saturday.
I have big troubles with the things that you are talking about, couse
here you can't get half of that, like Avid or Mosquito Dunks,...
Thanks

When it's cold outside, it is harder to get temps up indoors. One thing to do is move plants off the floor. Put something underneath them, whether its other pots, or milk crates, cinder blocks and boards, a table of some type, whatever you can find to raise them, as heat rises, and it's always colder on the floor.
Fungus gnats can be controlled with diatomaceous earth.

Messodas

Thanks again man.

Tomorrow I'll try my 3rd Heat treatment in two weeks.
Some plants are looking nice-normaly, but some are just to cry over. Especially more sativa dominant strains are yellowing like hell.

Diatomaceous earth? Nice tip, I'll try this for sure!
I just ordered a 2kg pack from UK!

Do you think, or anybody, that I can used this for battling symphilids/symphylans?
I have a fu..ing Zoo in my growroom for 2years now...

Thanks and with all respect to battling growers.

SourSmoke

Man I am going crazy...

I have been hitting my broad mite infected plants with Avid immediately before bloom and it seems to have taken care of the the BM problem, but the plants aren't blooming properly now. One strain comes out fine but another strain never really turns on properly. The buds have no vigor, no smell, just blah. Emaciated hay smelling shite. At first it was just a few plants and I thought it a fluke, but the last round an entire tray was bunk. I've never seen anything like this before.

The only conclusion I have been able to come to is that perhaps the Avid is causing it but I haven't seen any other negative reports similar to this situation. I am going to forgo the Avid on the next round but then I have a feeling the BM will return. SUCK! Is this emaciated bud situation sounding familiar to anyone?

THANK YOU!

medicalmj

Veteran
...Do you think, or anybody, that I can used this for battling symphilids/symphylans?
Never encountered symphilids attacking ganga, but they don't like being flooded so...
Here's some sage advice I received from a master gardener a while back:

Apply tanglefoot around stalk just above soil line and apply tanglefoot around the inside of pot just above soil line. Next mix up a container a little larger than pot size with the azamax. Place the entire pot into the container w azamaz(use warm water 80-100F) ensuring that the soil is completely covered and the only escape is up the stalk or inside rim. Of course anything that needs O2 will try to escape and get caught in tanglefoot. I would have something to spray and knock down anything trying to escape like pyrethrum. Let the pot soak for at least 5 minutes. Repeat. It will be necessary to have some addition solution ready to top off the dunk container.

As far a fungus gnats, I have battled them f*ckers. After above drench apply predator nematodes at least 2-3 times over a couple week period. Or go nuclear and drench w Imid.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Diatomaceous earth
Thanks again man.

Tomorrow I'll try my 3rd Heat treatment in two weeks.
Some plants are looking nice-normaly, but some are just to cry over. Especially more sativa dominant strains are yellowing like hell.

Diatomaceous earth? Nice tip, I'll try this for sure!
I just ordered a 2kg pack from UK!

Do you think, or anybody, that I can used this for battling symphilids/symphylans?

Thanks and with all respect to battling growers.

Diatomaceous earth will kill any type bug. Just mix in medium and sprinkle on surface.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Man I am going crazy...

I have been hitting my broad mite infected plants with Avid immediately before bloom and it seems to have taken care of the the BM problem, but the plants aren't blooming properly now. One strain comes out fine but another strain never really turns on properly. The buds have no vigor, no smell, just blah. Emaciated hay smelling shite. At first it was just a few plants and I thought it a fluke, but the last round an entire tray was bunk. I've never seen anything like this before.

The only conclusion I have been able to come to is that perhaps the Avid is causing it but I haven't seen any other negative reports similar to this situation. I am going to forgo the Avid on the next round but then I have a feeling the BM will return. SUCK! Is this emaciated bud situation sounding familiar to anyone?

THANK YOU!

That's the effect of the broad mites. You didn't kill them all, or got to them too late or didn't kill the eggs. Eggs hatch every 3 days. Worst plants should be discarded so they don't contaminate others. You must scope your plants daily when dealing with BMs, otherwise you don't know what's happening or if you are making progress killing them. Avid doesn't kill eggs. I prefer heat treatment, as it kills eggs and can be used in flower. Once you have it dialed in, it is easy to repeat once a week or so for an hour. That will control any infestation.

S

sanvanalona

That's the effect of the broad mites. You didn't kill them all, or got to them too late or didn't kill the eggs. Eggs hatch every 3 days. Worst plants should be discarded so they don't contaminate others. You must scope your plants daily when dealing with BMs, otherwise you don't know what's happening or if you are making progress killing them. Avid doesn't kill eggs. I prefer heat treatment, as it kills eggs and can be used in flower. Once you have it dialed in, it is easy to repeat once a week or so for an hour. That will control any infestation.

How late into flower do you think it is safe to use a heat treatment? Have you tried one late? I am not sure if I absolutely need one or not, my plants are looking normal albeit a week or so behind usual and smelling up my neighborhood, but out of caution I would like to any left over fuckers before I pull down. Any suggestions retro?

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the effects of the broads can linger for weeks after the bugs have been eradicated. if the buds arent forming, bland, no frost or odor then scrap them. they wont recover properly.

RetroGrow

Veteran
How late into flower do you think it is safe to use a heat treatment? Have you tried one late? I am not sure if I absolutely need one or not, my plants are looking normal albeit a week or so behind usual and smelling up my neighborhood, but out of caution I would like to any left over fuckers before I pull down. Any suggestions retro?

Get a scope. Stop guessing......

SourSmoke

Yeah what is strange though is that I haven't seen the pistil death or curling leaves, just anemic buds. I'll try scoping the plants again but I don't think it is the BM any more.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Yeah what is strange though is that I haven't seen the pistil death or curling leaves, just anemic buds. I'll try scoping the plants again but I don't think it is the BM any more.

Check out the San Diegos Finest Cuts #3 thread if you have the time. Do a search within the thread for "dud" and read some of the more recent posts that come up. The hypothesis is that among other possible causes of the Dud-ing is plants being stunted from the toxins Broad mites inject into the plant while feeding. The negative effects seem to last a LONG time

SourSmoke

Check out the San Diegos Finest Cuts #3 thread if you have the time. Do a search within the thread for "dud" and read some of the more recent posts that come up. The hypothesis is that among other possible causes of the Dud-ing is plants being stunted from the toxins Broad mites inject into the plant while feeding. The negative effects seem to last a LONG time

I'll go check out the thread... This might explain it though! It totally reminds me of the Sour Double Duds that would pop up occasionally but this is happening with SD x AD now. I had a theory that the mom got perma dudded some how. Crazy trying to isolate multi-variable problems that take 3 months for fruition.

Thank you for the input!

RetroGrow

Veteran

No question the broad mite toxins cause the problem. Using aspirin from the start will mitigate these problems to a large extent. It allows the plant to fight off the effects of the toxins, but once the damage is done, it is done. Can't be fixed, but can be prevented to a large extent.

Messodas

Thanks for advice, I'll try this with hot water next round, now I'm like 1month in flowering and I don't feel that now it will be good for plants.
+ I don't like chemicals at all.
Now I'm waiting my growroom to get sauna style. Heat treatment day it is. All my hopes are in there. I really wasn't prepared for BM. Next round I will be. From the start!!
Nice day to you all

Status
Not open for further replies.