What's new

Broad mites: ID and Organic Antidotes that work!

Z

zooty

Anyone have pictures of broadmite damage in early flower

I'm at week 4 and I was sure I was rid of them but I'm seeing dead pistils on most branches almost like a hermie but can't see any crawlers.. where do they hide out in flower?

Top.Shelf

Thanks Green81, hope you're still all clear bro. I'm going to kill off the Sleestacks today :( nice really weed but there's definitely better stuff out there. The SLH is the one I would want to keep out of the 2. A good yielder and pretty resistant to mold, temp swings etc. Produces really nice bud too. The seedlings are looking like acid rain hit them! Adding to their already problematic life, sigh... My greenfinger has turned brown it seems lol.

Didn't realise that they would ship the Ogbiowar over here, result! Found a source for the predators too. I'm gonna to heat treat again on Monday. Fingers crossed my microscope arrives by then. Should have the predators mid week and have ordered the stuff we discussed alongside some Harka Mectin.

the gnome

Veteran
top shelf,
it's hard to see the new growth tips in the pics, thats where the start their damage at.
but really, looking at your pics i don't really see BM damage?
looks more like def's. to me

you need to scope em thoroughly to see whats going on.

Top.Shelf

the gnome, I really hope it is just defs. The scope should arrive by Monday, I'm holding off doing anything else until it does. I was going to kill the Sleestacks today becuase of the alarm bells that went off after reading about how hard these things can be to get rid of. I suppose if they are already present 2 more days isn't going to change much. Plus the neem should knock them back a bit if it is the little bastards.

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
Anyone have pictures of broadmite damage in early flower

I'm at week 4 and I was sure I was rid of them but I'm seeing dead pistils on most branches almost like a hermie but can't see any crawlers.. where do they hide out in flower?

check the soil... i thought i had BM´s but then found Root Aphids
and they will cause burnt hairs like you mentioned...
took me a crop to find out, now that im battling them things are looking up!

Thanks Green81, ....
Didn't realise that they would ship the Ogbiowar over here, result! Found a source for the predators too. I'm gonna to heat treat again on Monday. Fingers crossed my microscope arrives by then. Should have the predators mid week and have ordered the stuff we discussed alongside some Harka Mectin.

hey man,
save on shipping costs and get the packs from Biowar..
its the same and as its shipped from the uk, will be with you in under 2 days!

the gnome

Veteran
definitely wait till the scope comes in topshelf.
you can also use a 30x loupe,
but they are tiny, lest you know what to look for they can be hard to ID unless they're moving

good call blue....bravo on the RA take.
they will cause def. symptoms, like ? mag i think.
again you'll need a scope,
personally I'll take BMs ove RAs anyday.
in veg BM are too easy to kill.
RAs are an entirely different beast

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
hey,
yeah using it at present.. and it works, i see less fliers and see the fungi growing on dead RA´s and FG´s...
if you want to order, id get the whole package.. foliar and root... drop them a mail and mention my name.. if you ask kindly he might give you a little discount.. cant promiss anything, but he is a good guy and helped me out with a lot of info and extra stuff
anyway yeah im fighting RA and the winged RA... its no joke..
im leaving the room real cold around 15* to keep them from hatching so quickly..
something i can for sure say is that if you do flood and drain you will get rid of them quickly..

soserthc1

Bio war

Bio war

blueberrydrumz cheers bro, have you used it?

I just ordered more and use it on a regular basis

Great stuff won't eliminate mites 100% by itself but is a awesome product used in rotation with others.
Will eliminate root alphids thou in a dredge at 1tbs a gallon. Be sure to remove the talc after settles

Try kontos also

Use farmer as your discount code ( just saved 106$) free shipping if you buy all 3 root / foliar/ Nute pack and the foliar pack is what you will use for bugs. So even if you don't need the Nute pack grab a 8 oz package as the $ you save on shipping pays for the pack. I'm going to delete this code info in a few hours

Top.Shelf

Blueberry have you tried any predators against them? I'll look into the other products. I use coco though. Thanks for the heads up on the discount I'll be sure to name drop :)

Soserthc1 yeah I read you need to heat treat and use oredators ftw. Thanks for the discount code to bro. I'm in the UK they dont have Krontos here. Something similar - Movento but need to be liscened to buy it. Ordering from the states is problematic because of time and import restrictions from what I read.

Do you guys keeo humidity at 60% I read biowar doesn't work below that.

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
like soserthc1 said.. biowar has to be part of a program.. dont rely on it..
predators are a good option too.. i want to get BTI though... another bacteria,
great for FG & RA etc... used it before..
im in coco too.. no difference for the benies

soserthc1

Blueberry have you tried any predators against them? I'll look into the other products. I use coco though. Thanks for the heads up on the discount I'll be sure to name drop :)

Soserthc1 yeah I read you need to heat treat and use oredators ftw. Thanks for the discount code to bro. I'm in the UK they dont have Krontos here. Something similar - Movento but need to be liscened to buy it. Ordering from the states is problematic because of time and import restrictions from what I read.

Do you guys keeo humidity at 60% I read biowar doesn't work below that.

I keep my humidity between 60/70 at most times depending on temp. If flower temps are in the 80's I let the humidity rise to 70
At 75 to 79 I lower it to 65
Veg gets higher than I like , I need to add a dehuey on that side but I would go over my ampage.
Plants really come alive about 6 hrs after a foliar they pray to the lights and all is good in the universe :dance013:
Good luck bugs suck

RetroGrow

Veteran
top shelf,
it's hard to see the new growth tips in the pics, thats where the start their damage at.
but really, looking at your pics i don't really see BM damage?
looks more like def's. to me

you need to scope em thoroughly to see whats going on.

My thoughts exactly when I saw the pictures just now. Not seeing the telltale leaf twist from BMs.
I would much rather have RAs!!!
Top Shelf: You may never actually see a live BM. Often they are not seen until they are dead. They are minuscule, and masters at hiding. The thing to look for is the eggs. They cannot hide, and are found in groups on the underside of the leaves. Your damage looks more like RAs to me, as Gnome noted. Scope will tell for sure in the case of BMs, but RAs you can see without a scope. If you lift up one of the plants from it's pot, they will scramble. They are in the pot on the bottom and in the soil. They are small, so you have to stare at soil/pot for awhile to see them at times. Flyers you can see easily.
With BMs, if you can veg longer, you can eliminate them and the plant will recover. Use aspirin to mitigate toxin damage. I increased my veg time when I had them last to give time to treat them, and plants came out fine. Yours do look more like RA damage, though, but impossible to be certain about BMs without scoping. When you get scope, cut off some affected leaves and scope undersides for eggs.

Top.Shelf

Thanks Retrogrow I read many of your posts in the BM thread, thanks for your input on there btw. I guess reading 180+ pages and the associated thread about cyclamon mites and the like set alarm bells ringing.

I hope it is anything but BM's! I'd welcome RA's :D although I took one of the seed plants out of it's pot to check yesterday and didn't see anything nefarious down below. I will have a thorough check a bit later on though. If it's not RA's I will do as suggested and scope them over well looking for eggs.

I'm not sure gnome was referring to my post when he mentioned RA's I think he was replying to zooty's post, but he didn't think it was BM's all the same.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How come it's so hard to find pics of BM damage on flowering plants?
probably has to do with how & how hard you are looking...
try using googe image search "broad mite damage cannabis" or even "site:icmag.com broad mite damage cannabis" to limit results to icmag.

Z

zooty

probably has to do with how & how hard you are looking...
try using googe image search "broad mite damage cannabis" or even "site:icmag.com broad mite damage cannabis" to limit results to icmag.

I'm not stupid your suggested searches brought me all images I've seen before.

Top.Shelf

Well I had a good look for eggs today, nearly 2 hours in all, but all I found was what I believe to be capitate sessile trichs fortunately :) I did think they were eggs at first. Then started looking at them, some were opaque and some cloudy like trichs. As Cyclamen/ Broad mite eggs are elliptical, I done a quick search and found many pics showing the same kind of trichs and other growers worried they were eggs. The scope I got is the cheap led type and the field of view is limited but I took my time and from pics I've seen on here the magnification was good enough to spot an egg or mite.

I removed about 20 or so damaged leafs from from all over the sleestacks. Also checked the growing shoots, leafs all over the plant and stems of everything else with the 60-100x scope. Found nothing but more cap trichs, bits of coco, hairs and dust.

I read BMs damage pistils I didn't see any browning or recessed pistils. On top of this plants have regained some colour and are looking a little better. First time in a couple weeks they had leaves pointing upward to soak up light. I'm stumped man! Seriously, I know these things are hard to find but I would've thought I'd find at least one egg if they were present.

I'll do the same tomorrow maybe I missed something but I was real thorough on the sleestacks as they looked the worst. I checked for root aphids too and didn't see anything although I didn't scope the roots as the RA's I've seen in pics were easily seen by the naked eye.

There are no springtails either I've had those and know what to look for. I don't remember them doing much harm either did the plants look like shit while I had them.

A true mystery at this stage... I've grown in here with this tent and bulb, trays and pots before so I've ruled out dodgy bulb or offgassing. Unless they pop up in my next couple of inspections I'm going to rule BMs/Cyclamen for the minute. Couldn't get pics with the scope and my camera unfortunately. Keep blurring when I tried to look down the scope with it, any tips?

What do you guys think about the plants?

picture.php

picture.php

Top.Shelf

The plant on the left in the second pic has a leaf at the top of it that has the irregular growth 'bend' associated with bms or tmv on it. There isn't any 'tacoing' of the leaves though

redlaser

Veteran
It's hard to tell with the hps light but the plants seem pale or lime green. It's very even though, as if the ph or nutrient levels have been off a bit for a while.

Plants are perfect size for a controlled heat treatment, as far as TMV possibility do you use tobacco? Can't smoke around plants or handle them after touching tobacco. Never seen it on cannabis but it's a big deal in tomato production, worked at a range of greenhouses that raised annuals and vegetables in flats and the only house you couldn't smoke around was the one that had tomatoes in it.
All those plants were sold at a few inches of height, the non smoking was a courtesy to the end buyer