What's new

British Lung Foundation Health risks of cannabis 'underestimated'

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OMG..what do you guys think? Cheers..DD

From BBC News health: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18283689

Experts are warning that the public dangerously underestimates the health risks linked to smoking cannabis.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
The British Lung Foundation carried out a survey of 1,000 adults and found a third wrongly believed cannabis did not harm health.<o:p> </o:p>
And 88% incorrectly thought tobacco cigarettes were more harmful than cannabis ones - when the risk of lung cancer is actually 20 times higher.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>The BLF said the lack of awareness was "alarming".<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>Widely used <o:p></o:p>
Latest figures show that 30% of 16-59 year-olds in England and Wales have used cannabis in their lifetimes.<o:p> </o:p>
A new report from the BLF says there are established scientific links between smoking cannabis and tuberculosis, acute bronchitis and lung cancer.<o:p> </o:p>
Part of the reason for this, say the experts, is that people smoking cannabis take deeper puffs and hold them for longer than when smoking tobacco cigarettes.<o:p> </o:p>
“This is not a niche problem.” Dame Helena Shovelton British Lung Foundation <o:p></o:p>
This means that someone smoking a cannabis cigarette inhales four times as much tar as from a tobacco cigarette, and five times as much carbon monoxide, the BLF says.<o:p> </o:p>
Its survey found that young people are particularly unaware of the risks.<o:p> </o:p>
Some studies have also suggested cannabis increases the chances of developing mental health problems such as schizophrenia.<o:p> </o:p>
Almost 40% of the under-35s surveyed - the age group most likely to have smoked it - thought cannabis was not harmful.
However, the BLF report warned that smoking one cannabis cigarette every day for a year increases the chances of developing lung cancer by a similar amount as smoking 20 tobacco cigarettes each day for one year.<o:p> </o:p>
Its chief executive, Dame Helena Shovelton, said: "It is alarming that, while new research continues to reveal the multiple health consequences of smoking cannabis, there is still a dangerous lack of public awareness of quite how harmful this drug can be.<o:p> </o:p>
"This is not a niche problem - cannabis is one of the most widely-used recreational drugs in the UK, with almost a third of the population having tried it. <o:p></o:p>
"We therefore need a serious public health campaign - of the kind that has helped raise awareness of the dangers of eating fatty foods or smoking tobacco - to finally dispel the myth that smoking cannabis is somehow a safe pastime."<o:p> </o:p>
'Misleading'
The BLF's report says there should be a public education programme to raise awareness of the impact of smoking cannabis and increased investment in research into the health consequences of its use.<o:p> </o:p>
Peter Reynolds, leader of Clear, which used to be known as the Legalise Cannabis Alliance, suggested the BLF had been highly-selective in its use of research.<o:p> </o:p>
He added: "It is clear that this report was written not as a scientific document but as campaigning propaganda. <o:p></o:p>
"As such it is misleading, inaccurate and dangerously irresponsible."
The British Lung Foundation said their report was based on sound research.<o:p> </o:p>
"The report references over 80 peer-reviewed research papers, is the most comprehensive report of its kind yet compiled, and has itself been peer-reviewed by a panel of independent experts."<o:p></o:p>

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They have been relentless for propaganda in the media lately...Mom forgets kid on top of roof of car because of pot (yea happens all the time right? lol). And cannibal eats face off man and they immediately blame LSD and Bath Salts without 0 proof...now yesterday they blame MJ and say toxicology reports won't be available until 2 months from now lol....We seem to know every celebrities toxicology report within days tho...I've eaten tons of acid and I think chewing the face off anyone is the last thing you would ever do and blaming MJ is just looney.

This article won't discuss vaping and eating which negates the whole thing pretty much.../yawn getting as ridiculous as human caused global warming...love all the new articles on solar effects on weather lately like they had a rediscovery of it or some shit lol...

All of media is getting beyond ridiculous and overt in their brainwashing attempts.

One of the only good article I have seen lately was on government drug panics from Reuters:

http://blogs.reuters.com/jackshafer/2012/05/31/drug-panics-bath-salts-and-face-eating-zombies/

TB Gardens

Veteran
Wow seriously? How many times does the 1 joint = 20 cigs myth need to be dispelled? It's propaganda, it has been proven by pulmonary experts that he carcinogenic compounds are vastly different between tobacco smoke & mj smoke. There are actually anti-inflammatory compounds in mj smoke.

Seriously 40, the past few months have been an onslaught of media propaganda and legislative backlash. But I guess thats the ebb and flow of an industry coming out of the basements.

The fact is the public is waking up. 17 states can't be medical without the voters being educated. This beating of the dead propaganda horse can't go on for much longr with any real effect. It's the same shit they've been repeating for 40 years.... Ya just keep saying it

audioaddict

I do believe that these reports, while largely propaganda, are also based around studies of the difference between cigarette smokers and people who smoke cannabis with tobacco.

Of course smoking cannabis with tobacco involves smoking what is essentially a large, unfiltered, cigarette that contains cannabis.

I don't mean to say that smoking cannabis is without its health risks, but I do believe these studies are purposely misrepresented for propaganda reasons.

Also, look into Donald Tashkins studies.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can
But when you want money
for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
Ah

dank.Frank

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Up Down. Up Down. The Pot-a-ganda machine has been working 24/7 in the media of late.

Amazing to be so obsessed with a plant... Our gov't thinks it knows what is best for us. Gee thanks guys, now stay out of our lives.

G

guest121295

Dude...why are all the 30 yr smokers I know healthier than the rest of the gen pop?? Sure a couple are crazy but they started crazy.I've seen/am seeing one of those to be the first to have bad lung cancer, guy was also a major miscreant and cig chuffer, so if you're bad, its coming, won't be the weed that did it..anyway the tone of the article and the data are straight out of my 8th grade health class in 78'.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
This is old propaganda. The health claims are all speculative. They need to come up with something new.

Cannabis use took off in western society in the sixties. The United States has thousands upon thousands of older potheads, like myself, who never smoked tobacco. Show us the lung cancer epidemic in this group.

RudeDog

Veteran
As already said most people in the UK smoke joints with tobacco straight out of cigarettes.

I stopped smoking tobacco over two years ago now and have never felt better. Bongs and pipes of raw weed for me.

75% of people with mental health problems smoke tobacco.

Sounds like they have been talking to Frank

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They medical profession dont properly discriminate between bud and other canna products in the studies i have read , there is a problem with low grade hash in the UK which has obvious health risks , and will skew any results.

Bud has always been expensive and in short supply , and most teens were smokeing soapbar , a disgusting mixture of highly variable composition , worse than you could imagine from a US perspective.

The youngsters are better informed and wary now , but its still around at 30 quid an ounce , with bud at 250 many still use it , and their premature health problems will be blamed on weed in general , rather than the specific product which only exists due to prohibition.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Misleading info....obviously using "cannabis cigarette" as as code for "joint with lots of tobacco and a bit of weed" -the most common way of toking in europe.
Wheres the study on cannabis only smokers.
Joints made with tobacco, are usually made by breaking open a cigarette--so all the shit that the filter would have caught goes to the lungs.
Weak sauce.
EDIT Dirty bastards -go with the headline, but in their own report it even says that most users mix with baccy, making isolating what is actually causing the health problems difficult.
Arseholes, a curse of anal warts and pearly penile papules on the lot of them

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
BLF totally ignored in the references the outcome of the last research of Donald Tashkin funded by NIDA.

"We expected that we would find that a history of heavy marijuana use--more than 500 to 1,000 uses--would increase the risk of cancer from several years to decades after exposure to marijuana," explains physician Donald Tashkin of the University of California, Los Angeles, and lead researcher on the project. But looking at residents of Los Angeles County, the scientists found that even those who smoked more than 20,000 joints in their life did not have an increased risk of lung cancer.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=large-study-finds-no-link

Probably to get more money from the UK government to support their drug policy they come up with this so called research report.:moon:

Keep on growing :)

I call bullshit lookup what tobacco is fertilized with a radioactive fertilizer. Considering this not to mention tobacco is mass produced. I just think this is clearly propaganda. I grow all of my legal cannabis fully organic and don't even use chemical ferts. Check out this video and then tell me that study is not bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFwUr7B9rA

I call bullshit lookup what tobacco is fertilized with a radioactive fertilizer. Considering this not to mention tobacco is mass produced. I just think this is clearly propaganda. I grow all of my legal cannabis fully organic and don't even use chemical ferts. Check out this video and then tell me that study is not bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFwUr7B9rA

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
How many people do you know that smoke 20 joints a day? I know plenty that smoke 20 cigarettes a day... I am a pretty heavy smoker and enjoy a nice .6g joint, but I have never been able to smoke the whole thing.
The prohibitionists are sick in the head!

neuroherb

I do believe that these reports, while largely propaganda, are also based around studies of the difference between cigarette smokers and people who smoke cannabis with tobacco.

Of course smoking cannabis with tobacco involves smoking what is essentially a large, unfiltered, cigarette that contains cannabis.

I don't mean to say that smoking cannabis is without its health risks, but I do believe these studies are purposely misrepresented for propaganda reasons.

Also, look into Donald Tashkins studies.

I would agreee with you in thinking they are selective in the studies being used and also think the focus has also been put on 'Tar' rather than other compounds as this is high based on the exact reasons you give.

So this rumor kicked up again eh? From a country that recently discredited some one who thought pot and something else should be legal. Cant remember his name. Still reminds me of the rumor I read in high times about pot making men grow breast. But as they said, if that was true, why isnt it happening to the brothers in Columbia or other places. As long as weed has been around there should be some statistics to back it up, shouldnt have taken this long to prove it. Didnt with tobacco. Gosh Im old, sorry. Pot didnt just get invented. Maybe they are trying to scare the young folk. The people least likely to think this thru. Or give a push to parents and educators. My 2 cents

I have come to the conclusion that the war on drugs is also a war on science. It seems more and more there is an ambiguity to research that just doesn't meet the standards of review.