What's new

Brita Filters: Do they work?

Siomha

@BS,

like i said before i use a small water aquarium pump about 15€ they probably cheap everywhwere.

i did had some problems with my plants as well when they were vegging. the leaf turned yellow on me so i bought bottled water with high in Mag. and Cal. and the plants turned out great after all.

after they recovered i bubbled water again and always added some drops ph-down and the whole grow went just fine and iam smoking great weed since then.:smoke:

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
@BS,

like i said before i use a small water aquarium pump about 15€ they probably cheap everywhwere.

i did had some problems with my plants as well when they were vegging. the leaf turned yellow on me so i bought bottled water with high in Mag. and Cal. and the plants turned out great after all.

after they recovered i bubbled water again and always added some drops ph-down and the whole grow went just fine and iam smoking great weed since then.:smoke:

you can also just buy this
CalMag__23188_zoom.jpg

Neo 420

Veteran
Since the OP is organic, i think it would be in his best interest to get a RO unit. Bubbling to get rid of chlorine or adding organic matter to nip chloramine add more chores and time. Collect the runoff and water your house plants or yard.

BTW
I even use RO on my veggie beds.

sprinkl

Veteran
brita and other drinking water filters add salt..
Where do you get your info? This is not a water softener for washing machines, it is for producing drinkable water.

"What is the difference between a water softener and a water filter?
Water softeners are usually plumbed into the mains water system and are used to remove temporary hardness from the water to prevent limescale build up in household appliances such as washing machines. Water softeners do use a form of ion exchange resin but this is regenerated in the household using common salt (sodium chloride). In this way the calcium ions in the temporary hardness are replaced with sodium ions, thereby increasing the sodium content of the water. Due to the increased sodium it is not recommended that sodium softened water is used for drinking, cooking or food preparation. A separate tap with untreated water should be provided. "

"Ion exchange resins exist in the form of cation exchange resins and anion exchange resins. The BRITA water filter cartridge is filled with cation exchangers. These replace positively charged ions such as calcium, magnesium, lead or copper with positively charged hydrogen ions. Anion exchange resins replace negatively charged ions from tap water (e.g. nitrate, sulphate and phosphate) with negatively charged chloride or hydroxide ions. These are primarily used as nitrate filters. "

"BRITA cartridges contain a combination of ion exchange resin and activated carbon. The carbon absorbs chlorine, pesticides and organic pollutants, improves taste, and eliminates odours and discoloration. It also contains an inhibitor that prevents bacterial growth. The ion exchange resin removes the temporary hardness, which causes limescale; it also significantly reduces levels of metals such as copper and lead. "

No sodium added, just hydrogen. Their claim that potted plants and flower cuttings survive longer with Brita filtered water also would make no sense if it added sodium, any buildup would kill the plants fast.

Yep.

Your best bet is an R/O filter with a booster pump. You'll get a higher flow rate and clean/waste water rate. The total ppm will also drop. I'll keep repeating this in R/O threads until people 'get' it and stop repeating R/O b.s. that's wrong.
Sorry but what you're doing now is repeating other bs that is wrong

For real? I used one of the standalone brita filters in the beginning of my first grow, took my base EC from 0.5 to 0.25. How is this possible?

Because minerals were removed!

EC stands for Electrical Conductivity... not all things conduct electricity.

I'm sure you can figure out the rest, right? :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

I thought all ions conduct elecricity. So if it's replacing each Ca2+ ion for two Na+ ions as you claim why is the EC going down?

they work for a minute and then fail hard

go Reverse Osmosis

Is there some RO lobby here convincing people they have to shell out serious cash to get decent water? Somebody got shares?

I don't claim to be an expert on the topic but it's kind of retarded that pro-RO people are against any other method.
Fully RO'd water isn't even usable from what I've read, as Ph swings are hard to control in water that is 0 EC. So you have to mix in some tapwater to bump up the EC. But what if that tapwater contains nasty stuff like heavy metals or toxins. Maybe a britta(the carbon filter part) could remove that stuff first, before you mix it with your pure water.

I don't have an EC meter but my water goes from pH 7.6 to 6.8, it tastes better and I did a succesful grow on it, so there's a lot of bs in this thread.

Shafto

Where do you get your info? This is not a water softener for washing machines, it is for producing drinkable water.

"What is the difference between a water softener and a water filter?
Water softeners are usually plumbed into the mains water system and are used to remove temporary hardness from the water to prevent limescale build up in household appliances such as washing machines. Water softeners do use a form of ion exchange resin but this is regenerated in the household using common salt (sodium chloride). In this way the calcium ions in the temporary hardness are replaced with sodium ions, thereby increasing the sodium content of the water. Due to the increased sodium it is not recommended that sodium softened water is used for drinking, cooking or food preparation. A separate tap with untreated water should be provided. "

"Ion exchange resins exist in the form of cation exchange resins and anion exchange resins. The BRITA water filter cartridge is filled with cation exchangers. These replace positively charged ions such as calcium, magnesium, lead or copper with positively charged hydrogen ions. Anion exchange resins replace negatively charged ions from tap water (e.g. nitrate, sulphate and phosphate) with negatively charged chloride or hydroxide ions. These are primarily used as nitrate filters. "

"BRITA cartridges contain a combination of ion exchange resin and activated carbon. The carbon absorbs chlorine, pesticides and organic pollutants, improves taste, and eliminates odours and discoloration. It also contains an inhibitor that prevents bacterial growth. The ion exchange resin removes the temporary hardness, which causes limescale; it also significantly reduces levels of metals such as copper and lead. "

No sodium added, just hydrogen. Their claim that potted plants and flower cuttings survive longer with Brita filtered water also would make no sense if it added sodium, any buildup would kill the plants fast.

Sorry but what you're doing now is repeating other bs that is wrong

Because minerals were removed!

I thought all ions conduct elecricity. So if it's replacing each Ca2+ ion for two Na+ ions as you claim why is the EC going down?

Is there some RO lobby here convincing people they have to shell out serious cash to get decent water? Somebody got shares?

I don't claim to be an expert on the topic but it's kind of retarded that pro-RO people are against any other method.
Fully RO'd water isn't even usable from what I've read, as Ph swings are hard to control in water that is 0 EC. So you have to mix in some tapwater to bump up the EC. But what if that tapwater contains nasty stuff like heavy metals or toxins. Maybe a britta(the carbon filter part) could remove that stuff first, before you mix it with your pure water.

I don't have an EC meter but my water goes from pH 7.6 to 6.8, it tastes better and I did a succesful grow on it, so there's a lot of bs in this thread.

Excellent post my friend.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Fully RO'd water isn't even usable from what I've read, as Ph swings are hard to control in water that is 0 EC. So you have to mix in some tapwater to bump up the EC.

From what you've read by morons. I've seen this same statement so many times over the last decade it makes me want to scream. Ignorance is really persistent.

Gee, pH drops work perfectly... never seen any fluctuations in the color when reading plain R/O.

Who pH's their stuff BEFORE they add nutes anyway? As soon as you add the nutes, the pH readings on a meter are rock stable. Anyone 'adding tap' to make R/O easier to read is following ignorant advice.

And yes.... sorry to burst your ideas based on what you've 'read' but a booster pump DOES increase the output speed, drop the tds and lower the amount of waste.

Now... would you care to speak from 'experience' instead? Go get it first.

Edit: I was wrong about the brita filter... apparently they 'do not' add salts. Personally, I don't like the taste... at least not from the tap-water around here. They also don't give me the same R/O lack of tds that I know how to work with so well.

supermanlives

Veteran
zero water gives ya clean water. if i need large anounts of water i would go ro. but i only use filtered on seedlings and clones. prob 10 gal or less a week. if i needed filtered for everything zerowater would cost me a fortune. once my new sink is installed i am getting an ro unit.

joe guy

Even tho I should invest in a ro with a booster since I rent and don't pay for water, what I've allways done is pay 20 cents a gallon from those water machines they state that it goes thru carbon filter 2 other filters and uv treatment I usually go thru in between 7 and 14 gallons aweek so 2.50 and there is no replacing any filters or any bs for me... and not to mention those company's are regulated by fda I belive... after all they are selling purified drinking water... and b4 u put ur pocket change in it displayes the last service date on the lcd screen... good luck with ur water quality search and hope it helps......

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I use a Brita all the time for my watering news, It's mainly for clorine removal. There is a new filter on the market called Zero. It does remove all the salts and every thing in your water. But as it is a gravity fed system its a little slower than the brits

joe guy

Just went n got some more water I stand corrected its 25 cents a gal, 2012-08-20 13.18.08.jpg

2012-08-20 13.18.30.jpg

2012-08-20 13.18.44.jpg .

Not to mention those uv starlizers are serious bank I can't afford one of those myself...
I don't have a ppm or tds but the ph comes out to 6.0 not quite 6.5

T

TribalSeeds

From what you've read by morons. I've seen this same statement so many times over the last decade it makes me want to scream. Ignorance is really persistent.

Gee, pH drops work perfectly... never seen any fluctuations in the color when reading plain R/O.

Who pH's their stuff BEFORE they add nutes anyway? As soon as you add the nutes, the pH readings on a meter are rock stable. Anyone 'adding tap' to make R/O easier to read is following ignorant advice.

And yes.... sorry to burst your ideas based on what you've 'read' but a booster pump DOES increase the output speed, drop the tds and lower the amount of waste.

Now... would you care to speak from 'experience' instead? Go get it first.

Edit: I was wrong about the brita filter... apparently they 'do not' add salts. Personally, I don't like the taste... at least not from the tap-water around here. They also don't give me the same R/O lack of tds that I know how to work with so well.
STFU!

sorry to burst your ideas based on what you've 'read'

but if you had read the directions on your nutes and all the pesticides you use, you would have noticed that those companies recommend you PH your water to 5.5-6.0 before using their products.
Im looking right at AZAMAX, your favorite product, its right fucking there.
Fuck! You're so fucking ignorant!

Stay Safe Douchebag!
blowbubbles.gif

joe guy

Wow such hateful words over water.... remember guys/gals (can never be to certain on the net) pix are thekey to shut someones fingers up... but anyhow ITS WATER WHO CARES what the next guy is using don't stress ur self out if ur rite either way you shal find out. And the next guy can learn from that.

Stay safe guys and happy polants make happy harvest...

Once woke up at a girls shack, took a swig from her brita then I left! Bit of a hitter and quitter! All for peace

tumblr_m6jfwbjBn51rzwu4wo1_500.gif

IMG_2113.jpg

DankSide

Thread kind of played out like a drama-comedy.

Some good info - I'm going to have to try superman's recommendation seeing he's so consistent with about 5 posts on zero water hahaha.

Curious on the debate of Zero/Brita filters versus RO. Is there such a big difference? Is the difference noticeable or negligible? If a Zero produces similar results then why RO?

Thank you

Latest posts

Latest posts