What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bringing out the blueberries

Dirt Life

Veteran
I haven't cracked any Blue V2 yet, and probably won't for a while.. but, I have been having not so much luck with the GDK... I've had 4 seeds in medium for a couple weeks now, nothing. I gave them all a 12 hour soak first, then right into medium. So, yesterday I just put 2 more beans in paper towels... want to germ first then plant, see if that makes a difference. :watchplant:

Miraculous Meds

I haven't cracked any Blue V2 yet, and probably won't for a while.. but, I have been having not so much luck with the GDK... I've had 4 seeds in medium for a couple weeks now, nothing. I gave them all a 12 hour soak first, then right into medium. So, yesterday I just put 2 more beans in paper towels... want to germ first then plant, see if that makes a difference. :watchplant:

Hmm. I had 100% germ on them. They are fresh and viable. I planted straight into coir. They broke ground within 2 to 3 days. Some were up in 1 day. 100/100. Unless those seeds sat on a heater I'd guess somethings up with the medium or water. Keep me posted. I got more bullets for ya if needed.👊

LostTribe

Premium user
Hmm. I had 100% germ on them. They are fresh and viable. I planted straight into coir. They broke ground within 2 to 3 days. Some were up in 1 day. 100/100. Unless those seeds sat on a heater I'd guess somethings up with the medium or water. Keep me posted. I got more bullets for ya if needed.👊

Mircaculous did you do the blue v2 or have you tried any of them? Interested how they would compare to f13. I had trouble with the last few 7 of 9 germinating. Currrently last 3 are 2/3 after 48hrs but going slowly vs my own seeds that are about 3 years old.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Hey buddy, just wanted to say that was no way in blame of seeds... over the last couple decades, I've taught myself how to grow, and the one thing I have not really gotten good at is germinating from seed.. paper towels, ziplocks, straight into medium, domes, heat mats, ect... I just kinda suck @ it. It's definitely a weakness in my growing. Even with the freshest seed, like when I sow some I just made, I still get lower %'s to pop.. and I've tried all the tricks in the books..

But, I know I'll get some to go, and will definitely keep things updated. And thank you for the offer, that's awesome, but won't be needed... I'll get em. :)

Miraculous Meds

Mircaculous did you do the blue v2 or have you tried any of them? Interested how they would compare to f13. I had trouble with the last few 7 of 9 germinating. Currrently last 3 are 2/3 after 48hrs but going slowly vs my own seeds that are about 3 years old.

I grew the f4 mother plants to blue v2. I grew them indoors a couple times and outdoors in a hoop house. Amazing blueberry thai leaning juicy fruit and choc thai ladies. I have pics here and ig of them. I also used them to make f4 BLUE VELVET X BLUE STAR. Working in packaging for them in the near future. I'd say they are comparable in that they both are more bbs/nl leaning in the gene pool.

Miraculous Meds

Hey buddy, just wanted to say that was no way in blame of seeds... over the last couple decades, I've taught myself how to grow, and the one thing I have not really gotten good at is germinating from seed.. paper towels, ziplocks, straight into medium, domes, heat mats, ect... I just kinda suck @ it. It's definitely a weakness in my growing. Even with the freshest seed, like when I sow some I just made, I still get lower %'s to pop.. and I've tried all the tricks in the books..

But, I know I'll get some to go, and will definitely keep things updated. And thank you for the offer, that's awesome, but won't be needed... I'll get em. :)

If they are old and I'm expecting potential low germination rates I will do paper towel method so I don't have to plant 100 and throw away 50 to 90 because they don't pop. If they are fresh and expected high germination rate I put them straight into solo cups of coir 1ec/ 6.0ph. This avoids an extra step of paper towels then planting into solos. Lights at 200 ppfd. Temp 78f, rh 70%. Don't water till they dry out. I hit close to 100% everytime this way.

Also when sowing fresh seeds from harvest. Try and let them dry for a month before germinating. Directly fresh seeds can have a low germination rate till they dry properly.

regseeds

Lost I had similar trouble to yourself popped 4 with nothing. Didn't think I needed to try anything else as these were made very recent. Shame as I love the F13 line.

One more packet to try, so not all is lost. Fingers crossed for you, I will try again pre summer.

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
Heres a nice pic of the F13 at day 30 like the Darker one its even starting to show purp at 65F night temps. This one smells like Flo right now. The lighter green one doesnt have much smell or resin.

Attachments

• photo2110632.jpg
    photo2110632.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 43
  • photo2110633.jpg
    photo2110633.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 48
  • attach18070541.jpg
    attach18070541.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 49

Miraculous Meds

I brought out the blueberries! Come check out my new thread where I cover everything I'm up to.

Heres some of the Blueberry phenos from recent work.

Heavenly Blueberry muffin to blueberry wine aromas.

FAMILY BLUES V3
DJ SHORT 98 F4 BLUEBERRY X BLUE STAR feminized
20220625_152852_resized.jpg
20220625_152900.jpg
20220625_151639.jpg
20220625_151639_resized.jpg
20220625_151648_resized.jpg

Ncali

Veteran
MM your work is always so lovely.

In your experience/opinion, of the recent dj releases, what rings close to old blueberry flavor and effect?

You have grown many visually BEAUTIFUL blueberry lines in recent years showcased in this thread, but just curious as to the effect and taste part!

Miraculous Meds

MM your work is always so lovely.

In your experience/opinion, of the recent dj releases, what rings close to old blueberry flavor and effect?

You have grown many visually BEAUTIFUL blueberry lines in recent years showcased in this thread, but just curious as to the effect and taste part!
Thank you,
The effect is locked in all his lines. Thats why he puts out f5's. If you want blueberry, start with the original imo. For newer Blueberry types, I love Happy Pussy lines. Dj has a few out, and I made one to Otm that is stellar(Happy Time). Im in love with the 90's blues. Its djs selections of his original 98 blueberry to his circa 95 blueberry. Now if you include outcrosses, then my blue star is my pinnacle blueberry pie dessert wine plant. Coming in at 30% cannabinoids, she still has the warm hug euphoric bliss effect. I have her in f2 direct lineage called Grape Diesel Kush. But for more pure blueberry flavor i believe the Blue Star S1's are gonna win out. Your gonna find blueberry muffin phenos in these with the powerfully pleasant Dj signature effect.

Miraculous Meds

Fantastic Blues!!!!

I am wondering about the BlueThaiV2 also...hard to believe that was 3 yrs ago?

Wow that is the quintessential Blue plant right there...Nice plants!!!
I really liked the blue v2. Both mothers were nld, and one was choc thai dominant and thr other was a beautiful juicy fruit pheno. I grew them outside here in Michigan and they shined. Highly recommend those for blue lovers that want more nld thai influenced blue. I also made a outcross with those parents to my blue star males. It really enhanced the character of both.

Hopefull Stoner

wanted to clarify "The effect is locked in all his lines" does this mean you're saying couch lock ???
question about DJ SHORT 98 F4 BLUEBERRY . what can you tell us about this one. we know DJ lost all his prime cultivars.
what i'd lie to know is what did he recover from those who were nice enough to SHARE HIS OLD STUFF WITH HIM ?
BTW that ? is assumptive because i have no idea what if anything happened.
ONE THING IS FOR SURE ALL THOSE WHOO HAVE TRied his new BB upon his return agree it's not the same nor as dANK so they move on.

Miraculous Meds

wanted to clarify "The effect is locked in all his lines" does this mean you're saying couch lock ???
question about DJ SHORT 98 F4 BLUEBERRY . what can you tell us about this one. we know DJ lost all his prime cultivars.
what i'd lie to know is what did he recover from those who were nice enough to SHARE HIS OLD STUFF WITH HIM ?
ONE THING IS FOR SURE ALL THOSE WHOO HAVE TRied his new BB upon his return agree it's not the same nor as dANK so they move on.

You come off rude and presumptive. But I'm gonna take the high road and answer all your questions with respect. I can do that in part because of the effect I get from Dj's lines.

The effect dj locked into his lines is well known to blues lovers. Relaxing, anxiety reducing, satisfaction. He calls it "powerfully pleasant".

Dj has worked with several companies throughout the decades and there have been multiple parents used in those different projects. In 1998 he sprouted his own parental selections for blueberry and they have been the same ever since. Thats the orignal blueberry f5 available today.

Dj has his genetics from his earliest projects. He hasn't lost anything. In fact hes only ever released around 30% of his library. More coming soon!

"BTW that ? is assumptive because i have no idea what if anything happened."

Dam, I didn't realize your spewing 2nd hand stories. Face palm. Man, if you are actually after real info and not just drama, think about how you ask your questions.

"ONE THING IS FOR SURE ALL THOSE WHOO HAVE TRied his new BB upon his return agree it's not the same nor as dANK so they move on."

Again another not thought out comment. I obviously love it. And look in the dj forums, plenty of people love it. Its fine if others don't. FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Thats whats important. Don't get caught up in what other people tell you. Or come to the sources with respect and you may get treated kindly and they take the time to share with you.

People get caught up in its not the same as a bb i smoked back whenever. Then the next thing they say is they dont actually know what bb it was. Now hopefully you can see it could be from a different parental line, from a different grower, etc... you have to know what you started with, and if you didnt buy a real pack from dj and grow it, you dont know.

Raho

Veteran
Hey @Miraculous Meds
Brother, it's clear this guy has no personal experience with DJs lines and is just repeating complaints from old posts going back to the period where DJ stopped selling seeds for a while.
10 -12 years ago, this forum and others were filled with the comments he parrots above.
The same complaints were made about all the Amsterdam strains ("not as good as it was in the 90's man . . . ")
Of course many oif the complaints about Duitch gear were true.
The story of DJ's gear was influenced by completely different factors.
Maybe DJ's gear is as good as it always was, but the rest of the world has changed around it, from cannabinoid levels to terp levels, to effects.
It's all different now.
DJ's gear is the same.

I am glad to have you working the lines as I really respect your selection and breeding skills.
I think DJ is very lucky to have found someone who obviously shares the passion for what he created, the skills to keep it alive through new work, and the integrity to work with him honorably.

Hopefull Stoner probably doesn't realize how lucky we are to have you here sharing your work with DJs lines, and insight into that work direct from the man himself. You are providing an objective view of the state of HIS art, while doing your own work that combines the best of DJ's gear with an eye to contemporary tastes and expectations.

As far as everyone moving on . . . DJs work is carried by some of the biggest seedbanks in the world.
If NOBODY liked it and EVERYBODY moved on disappointed, none of the seedbanks would sell it anymore. Right?

Hang in there amigo. The forums are filled with people who don't know what they don't know.
Sometimes it's even people who have been around a while and should know better.
For myself, if I wanted to run something "blue" I would come to you and discuss options.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I think the Blueberry line is one of the big name in the game I've not grown yet. For many years I've seen many people raving about the delicate qualities of those genetics but I've never dare to give it a try. Those last months I've had an itch to make a grow with the big stars of the 90's like Super Skunk and White Widow, kind of a nostalgic travel to my first steps in the world of cannabis growing when those lines were absolutely dominating the canna world. But I could certainly add a some Blueberry genetics in this old times grow as it was at this time a big name as well, just one I've never tried unlike the other famous ones.
I've seen Navy Cross, ECSD x Blueberry who look absolutely stellar but I'm not sure it would fit in "Stars of the 90's" kind of grow. How easy is it to grow BB compared to Skunk or WW who are pretty easy to content?