What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bribing the neighbors dogs

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My neighbor got these 2 little yippie dogs .For months now everytime i go out back they start barking.Non stop,its getting really old ,and im getting really tired of it.

Im good friends with the neighbor,he doesn't speak english.But i tell him in spanish and he understands.Theirs really nothing he can do about it .Because their his dogs and he's staying with the family ,so their not allowed in the house.

So today they started barking,i noticed noone was home.I went into the fridge and got some turkey.I kept going over and throwing them scraps ,gradually the barking gets less and less.Then for the finally,i went into the crock pot and got 2 pieces of slow roasted pork.

I know they loved that shit,the little one keeps looking at me with an occasional bark thinking.Should i be barking at him? He gives us steak....hahaha 2 dogs pwned.....Problem solved....:tiphat:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
My neighbor got these 2 little yippie dogs .For months now everytime i go out back they start barking.Non stop,its getting really old ,and im getting really tired of it.

Theirs really nothing he can do about it .Because their his dogs and he's staying with the family ,so their not allowed in the house

Help me out here... why can't he do anything about keeping his own dogs quiet? That's kinda the whole deal of having dogs, you're responsible for them.

I couldn't think to let my dog sit outside barking up a storm. It's called common courtesy and it doesn't require translation.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He tells them to shut up when im out their.But after awhile they don't listen.Think of the most vocal,tiny dogs their is .And those are the ones..........eeyuk

sneaky101

Help me out here... why can't he do anything about keeping his own dogs quiet? That's kinda the whole deal of having dogs, you're responsible for them.

I couldn't think to let my dog sit outside barking up a storm. It's called common courtesy and it doesn't require translation.

Courtesy isn't so common anymore. Sense isn't either now that I think about it.

Voidling

That's no good for anyone, especially the dogs. (Letting them out)

Walmart or petstores sell devices that put off a high frequency sound whenever a dog barks. Set it up by the fence

mad librettist

Veteran
rewarding bad behavior isnt a good idea. hope it works for ya

well that's a matter of perception!

You can reward "improvement" very effectively if you have good timing.

I suggest you get a clicker for 3 bucks at a local pet store. At first, just click the button and give treats to both. Then move on to "duck duck goose", with only "goose" getting a treat. with me still? Two dogs one treat.

Ok now you have competition for the reward. Start clicking for good behavior like sitting at the fence and looking at you. Ignore any barking. Still with me?

Once you have made your rewards really fucking awesome through variable reinforcement (why I had you play duck duck goose), you will get new ideas for varying rewards.

Now that you got variable reinforcement down, start making them work hard for those clicks. Gradually increase difficulty until the game is "not barking at all".

good luck. IMO the situation you presented calls for rewards. by using a clicker you can replace the food reward with a click, which your neighbor can't tell you not to do, unlike feeding their dogs.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I had two dachshunds next door. One barked at me constantly, the other wasn't very vocal. I tried bribing them with pieces of hot dogs, being conscious to only reward positive behavior, hoping the noisy one would take a hint. The end result was that the barker trained the quiet one, and they both barked frantically whenever they saw me, hoping for hot dogs.

mad librettist

Veteran
yeah, that's why you use a marker like a click, whistle, or other sound/sight to show exactly which behaviors you want. otherwise you wind up rewarding the wrong thing.

clickers are great because they are loud and because it sounds the same no matter who clicks it.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had two dachshunds next door. One barked at me constantly, the other wasn't very vocal. I tried bribing them with pieces of hot dogs, being conscious to only reward positive behavior, hoping the noisy one would take a hint. The end result was that the barker trained the quiet one, and they both barked frantically whenever they saw me, hoping for hot dogs.

bribing dachshunds with hot dogs nearly sounds cannibalistic, but sounds like you made 2 good friends, if it were me and I had a fenced yard I'd ask the neighbor to allow his dogs over to visit, maybe that would help settle them down.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I absolutely fucking hate little yap dogs.

Furry footballs...and I am the field goal kicker.

There are a few very small dogs that I like, but they aren't yappy and they have a gait more like a big dog. I wish I could remember the breed of this one particular small pooch I used to see around, that dog thought he was a St. Bernard, walked just like one.