What's new

breeding pitbulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
hmm, you guys can say dog fighting and jump on that michael vick bandwagon all you want, when your breeding blue pitbulls or blue shar-peis like i have, viciousness doesnt mean SHIT. its all color, body size, head size, and bloodline - nothing else. ever look up blue pits on the internet? see any of them fighting? at 1600 to 3000 a puppy what do you think? its obvious most dont know squat about breeding and raising dogs for real and just reiterate the television with the dog fighting shiet. i bet all of you complaining about this dog issue - if you even have any animals, have a cat or a pooch that weighs less than 25 pounds.

damn that sucks for him yts, id hate to go through that with some of the dogs ive had. ever seen a rottweiler almost clear an 8 foot wall? :laughing:

greenhead

Veteran
If anybody is breeding pitbulls for fighting, then they deserve to get their balls viciously bitten off by one of the dogs, that'll teach the suckers.

:joint: :wave:

NOKUY

Veteran
abirdintheair said:
hmm, you guys can say dog fighting and jump on that michael vick bandwagon all you want, when your breeding blue pitbulls or blue shar-peis like i have, viciousness doesnt mean SHIT. its all color, body size, head size, and bloodline - nothing else. ever look up blue pits on the internet? see any of them fighting? at 1600 to 3000 a puppy what do you think? its obvious most dont know squat about breeding and raising dogs for real and just reiterate the television with the dog fighting shiet. i bet all of you complaining about this dog issue - if you even have any animals, have a cat or a pooch that weighs less than 25 pounds.

damn that sucks for him yts, id hate to go through that with some of the dogs ive had. ever seen a rottweiler almost clear an 8 foot wall? :laughing:

"birdintheair"...I've grown up w/ BIG dogs all my life, (great danes, great pyrenees, and komondors). I have a great pyrenees and border collie now.

I lived next to and worked with Mitch Seavey and his dogs (he won the iditarod in 2004)....I learned more about dogs and breeding and selecting from him than anyone.

We had the Komondor at the time, and Mitch seavey , as well as many other "dog experts" wouldent go near her for anything....even peeps I knew in Alaska who fight dogs (bull terriors (not pits) and rotts) wouldent go near her or let their dogs near her. They are livestock guard dogs w/ dreads(cords), so a bite from any animal really goes unnoticed.

Look up Komondor if you dont know what they are. She is the main reason i wanted to try my hand at breeding.

ill scan a cpl pics of her in a min....i really miss her.

Ive seen my komondor clear a 7 foot fence that was a 6 footer that we had to add a foot to cuz she cleared the 6 foot, then she climbed over the 7 foot..... then she learned to use a tie-out.

NOKUY

Veteran
heres a cpl pics of "milla" my Komondor that passed away, and the dog that really made me wanna learn about breeding

sorry the pics arent better thats the best i could do from scanning them, and yes thats the same dog in all pics....she looks different w/ a haircut.

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
from the above post ...does anyone see the correlation between my dog and my avatar?....only sumthing i just realized (pic 3).

Last edited:
I agree with most the other members. This is not a very cool thread. Most pit breeders want to get the game out of their dogs. I have a owned several pitbulls and believe that they have an unfair reputation. Not one of my pitbulls has ever attacked a person(they would fight another dog but I'm responsible enough to not let that happen). they have all been great with my young children and put up with all the abuse that a 4 year old can dish out. I totally believe that if we would have owned Labs My kids would have been biten several times for all the shit they put my dogs through. Dog fights and people that take part in them disgust me. I think it is about time for people to start acting human.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
I can nokuy. Ive always refered to them as the mop dogs, but what is there official name, (komodor? i thought you meant komodo dragon at first :bashhead:)? do you know their lineage?

Last edited:

killa-bud

Veteran
a dog having "game" doesn't mean its for fighting,game is about the dogs willingness to do 'work" like cart pulls and what not,while it does help a fighting dog to have "gameness" thats not the only reason you'ed want your pit to have "game"

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
abirdintheair said:
I can nokuy. Ive always refered to them as the mop dogs, but what is there official name, (komodor? i thought you meant komodo dragon at first :bashhead:)? do you know their lineage?

official name is komondor komondorok is plural but komondors is acceptable plural.

they are hungarian livestock guard dogs, and they are decendants of mastiff...the rest ill quote and post.

they arent friendly to anyone or anything x-cept their flock/family

they dont herd livestock ...they just are "natural guards" no training necessary. they require training to keep their agressiveness in check....and youll never be able to totally do that w/ them.

NOKUY

Veteran
Alternative names
Hungarian Komondor
Hungarian Sheepdog
Country of origin
Hungary
Classification and breed standards
FCI: Group 1 Section 1 #53 Stds
AKC: Working Stds
ANKC: Group 5 (Working Dogs) Stds
CKC: Group 3 - Working Dogs Stds
KC (UK): Pastoral Stds
NZKC: Working Stds
UKC: Guardian Dogs Stds
The Komondor is a livestock guardian dog breed originally from Hungary. The plural is in Hungarian "Komondorok"[1]

Appearance
Females are 27 inches (69cm) at the withers. Male Komondors are a minimum of 28 inches at the withers, but many are over 30 inches tall, making this one of the larger common breeds of dog. The body is not overly coarse or heavy, however, and people unfamiliar with the breed are often surprised by how quick and agile the dogs are.

Coat
Its long, thick, strikingly corded white coat (the heaviest amount of fur in the canine world)[citation needed] resembles dreadlocks or a mop. The puppy coat is soft and fluffy. However, the coat is wavy and tends to curl as the puppy matures. A fully mature coat is formed naturally from the soft undercoat and the coarser outer coat combining to form tassels, or cords. Some help is needed in separating the cords so the dog does not turn into one large matted mess. The length of the cords increases with time as the coat grows. Shedding is very minimal with this breed, contrary to what one might think (once cords are fully formed). The only substantial shedding occurs as a puppy before the dreadlocks fully form. The Komondor is born with only a white coat, unlike the similar-looking Puli, which is usually white, black or sometimes grayish. However, a working Komondor's coat may be discolored by the elements, and may appear off-white if not washed regularly. Traditionally the coat protected the Komondor from the wolfs bite. The wolf wasn't able to bite the dog through the thick coat.

History
The origin of the Komondor is debated. Some believe the Komondor were a dog of the Magyars, while others believe it to be a dog of the Sumerians. According to the most probable explanation, Komondors were brought to Hungary by Cumans, the Turkish speaking, nomadic people who settled Hungary during the 12th and 13th century. The name "quman-dur" means "belonging to the Cumans" or "the dog of the Cumans," thus distinguishing it from a similar Hungarian sheepdog breed which later merged with the Komondor. The name Komondor is found for the first time written in 1544 in the History of King Astiagis by Kákonyi Péter, in Hungarian. Later in 1673 Amos Comenius is mentioning the Komondor in one of his works.

The unique dreadlock appearance gives a hint of common origin with the Puli and the Bergamasco. There might also be a link between the Komondor and the big, white Russian livestock dogs, the South Russian Ovtcharka. The dreadlock coat must have developed under a dry and extreme temperature climate as it provides superb protection against cold and hot weather, but is not too comfortable in wet weather.

The Komondor is built for livestock guarding. It is big, strong, and armored with a thick coat. The coat provides protection against wild animals and the weather and vegetation, the coat of the dog looks similar to that of a sheep so it can easily blend into a flock and camouflage itself giving it an advantage when predators such as wolves attack. The coat is the trademark of the breed.

Today the Komondor is a fairly common breed in Hungary, its country of origin. Many Komondors were killed during World War II and local stories say that this is due to the fact that when the Germans (and then the Russians) invaded, they had to kill the dog before they could capture a farm or house that it guarded.

Temperament
The Komondor's temperament is like that of most livestock guarding dogs; it is calm and steady when things are normal. In cases of trouble, the dog will defend fearlessly its charges. It was bred to think and act independently and make decisions on his own. It is extremely affectionate with its family and friends and gentle with the children of the family. Although wary of strangers, it will nonetheless accept them when it is clear that no harm is meant. It is very protective of its family, home and possessions. It will instinctively guard them. The breed has a natural guardian instinct. An athletic dog, the Komondor is fast and powerful and will leap at a predator to drive it off or knock it down. It can be used successfully to guard sheep against wolves or bears.[4] An explosion in the coyote population and a reluctance to use poison baits has led to a renaissance in the use of the Komondor as a flock guardian in the United States.

they are illegal in germany and some other european countries

Training
Because of the Komondor's size, power, and speed, its owner must have it under control. Obedience training is a must, preferably starting at an early age (4 - 8 months). Komondorok generally take well to training if started early. A Komondor can become obstinate when bored, so it is imperative that training sessions be upbeat and happy. Praise is a must, as are consistent and humane corrections. Once a Komondor gets away with unfriendly or hostile behavior, it will always think such behavior is appropriate. Therefore, consistent corrections even with a young puppy are necessary to ensure a well-adjusted adult. Socialization is also extremely important. The Komondor should be exposed to new situations, people and other dogs as a puppy. Because it is a natural guard dog, a Komondor that is not properly socialized may react in an excessively aggressive manner when confronted with a new situation or person. Again, puppy training is strongly recommended for all Komondors.

Given the proper environment and care, a Komondor is a responsible, loving dog. They are devoted and calm without being sluggish. As in any breed, there is quite a range of personalities, so your needs should be outlined clearly to your breeder. An experienced breeder can try to identify that personality which would be happier as an independent livestock dog, or that which wants more to please and would make a good obedience dog or family pet. Adolescence can be marked by changes in a Komondor's temperament, eating habits, trainability and general attitude. Many Komondor are "late bloomers", not fully mature until nearly three years of age.

Health
Komondors do not suffer many heredity problems. Perhaps because the breed has descended from centuries of hardy working stock, Komondors have few genetically linked problems. In particular, there is no evidence of the retinal eye problems found in other breeds, nor is there dwarfism or hereditary blood disorders.

Komondor-big3.jpg

rock.jpg

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
dontlockmeup said:
I agree with most the other members. This is not a very cool thread. Most pit breeders want to get the game out of their dogs. I have a owned several pitbulls and believe that they have an unfair reputation. Not one of my pitbulls has ever attacked a person(they would fight another dog but I'm responsible enough to not let that happen). they have all been great with my young children and put up with all the abuse that a 4 year old can dish out. I totally believe that if we would have owned Labs My kids would have been biten several times for all the shit they put my dogs through. Dog fights and people that take part in them disgust me. I think it is about time for people to start acting human.

1. Since when are most American Pittbull Terrier breeders breeding gameness out of their dogs?

2. I hope you don't think the reason your dogs did not hurt your children was because they lacked gameness, that's just silly. If anything, if you wanted a good guard dog for your kids you'd want a high game pit.

GAME does not mean viciousness, unstability, aggressiveness, etc

You could have a pit that's as game as can be and still behave the same around your kids, if not more protective.

The bad reputation pits get is through abuse. Yes, if you have a pit abused by humans it might be aggressive towards humans. That's a case of Nurture over Nature though. Naturally, they are not human aggressive dogs regardless how game

Now, yes a game pit will protect you and your property and stand up to a perceived threat. But they are not just wild random attack machines. And you should be responsible enough to keep your dogs contained on your property.

I appreciate your fondness of pits, but you really shouldn't buy into the propaganda of "GAMENESS"

gamehaze2

First of all i have never, or plan to fight my dogs.Im too attached to them to do that. i wrote this thread to find out some views as there are a lot of skilled breeders on this site.On icmag especially we unite under 1 consensus which is we identify we live under draconiain laws that do more harm than good. i totally agree with the views of dogfighting being barbaric and im not of a violent nature so that doesnt appeal to me but what concerns me more is that pitbulls(properly bred) have the the best disposition with people. Through selective breeding man biter were culled leaving you with a perfect family dog with a better pain tolerance for kids poking them and doing what kids do its 100% right a labrador will be quicker to nip a kid than a properly bred and raised pit. And game doesnt mean vicious if i wanted vicious id be talking about guard dogs bred to be vicious to humans game is a trait that is elusive in pitbull to any other breed and it gives them a better dispotion cause they dont feel insecure and need to bark at everything game can mean that when a dogs saving a baby out of a burning house he will do it till his last breath or if they are weight pulling they will put there all into it game does not mean vicious its beacause pit beacame the fashion then bad breeding followed now the whole breed is being persecuted just like growers so i make it a point to keep this breed going so my kids can enjoy their fun loving couragoeus personality.Its good to see some positive views and disheartining to see that the media hype can disillusion people that are meant to be part of the counter culture stil not educated in the bullshit we get spoon fed in every walk of life.

og dmc

glad to hear what you have to say, and no game isnt the same as agressive. Game could be good for a dog who competes in agility contests or weight pulling, but inbreedingn is not a good way to breed a champion although people do it all the time.

G

American Pit Bull Terriers that are UKC or ADBA registered are breed for gameness that is the point of the pit bull

if you want a pit bull that has the game breed out of it somewhat get yourself an American Staffordshire Terrier thats AKC registered

the AKC will not recognize the breed "pit bulls" and when they first did this the people who were members of the AKC that had pit bulls had to register them as AmStaff terriers and since then they have been breeding the AmStaff's for size and stature and muscle tone and not gomeness

the game pits come from dogs registered under UKC and ADBA kennel clubs

and game is the key thing to breed for when breeding pits for the dreaded fighting or household pets. and the gameness actually makes them more human friendly, of course theyll have an attitiude with other animals every now and then but thats what it is.

and i am not advocating dog fighting but people these days dont even fight the dogs right, they usually let them go to the death which is totally out of the rule book for pit fighting. the rules state that the dogs are to be let to cross the scratch line and lock for a brief moment and then the handlers break them up ( literally not even a second the dogs are in contact with each other) and let them cross again and then break them up again and the dog that fails to cross the line after a break is the loser. and then imediatly they get medical treatment if needed which when the rules govern these fights like they should the dogs rarely need medical attention. and when they do its just a staple or stitch or 2 to fix a cut.

i love my pit bull and would never fight him or put him in any situation that would jeopordise his well-being.

Ganico

Veteran
gamehaze2- anyway yeah, as has been stated NO INBREEDING. You want to get bloodlines as distant as possible.

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
DON'T EVER BREED! ADOPT! SO MANY POOR DOGS AWAITING THEIR DEATH IN A CAGE SOMEWHERE!! :bashhead: :nono:

skin

at last some proper dog people and opinions on this site , not media puppets full of hype and bullshit !

yts farmer

Veteran
lets just put the game talk aside for a moment.

@gamehaze2 can you confirm if your from the uk?

if you are then you do know that pits are banned.everytime you take them out for a walk you run the risk of them being confiscated and at worst put down or if your lucky have the nuts cut off and the female neutered(spelling?).

so if your growing at the same time just taking your dogs for a walk is a serious security risk.peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts