What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding for beginners

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
when is pollen ready on a male plant? does the sac have to open up to harvest pollen or just swelled? I was wondering if i can harvest any outta this that i chopped off my male or wait a lil longer.

offthehook

Veteran
If you'd crunch them in that stage there ain't no pollen dust flying out right?

Only juice will seep out, so how could that possibly be ripe enough to pollinate a female pistill I am wondering?

I never tried pollinating pistills with pollen juice tho, so after all it may be a good question for someone who actually tried it.

Subbed!

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
lol i had no clue but i just read the collecting pollen sticky an i gotta wait till they split open an tap them with paper under to catch it so i got maybe a week, or so.

Last edited:

tebos

Do fast indoor strains also finish early outdoors (assuming the conditions are ideal) or are they performing differently depending on their environment?

redclover

Sorry...my state of mind (coupled with my adult ADD) impairs me to read the whole or even some of this thread. Forgive me.

I recently picked pollen for the first time due to a rare Bodhi stud. Just a week after showing he had bull balls. I knew he was special, even smelled of a female ;). I snipped a bunch of yellow sacs, some where just starting to open, and set them on paper towel overnight. Next morning I squeezed them and poof!!! I then got some folded paper, rolled all the sacs gently back n forth (like freaking a mild lol) and gather plenty dry potent pollen.

I accidentally knocked up my big beautiful heffer. She took from 'frizzled hairs' sign.

Now my ? Is how long till you put her with rest of plants? I left her out for two hours and gave here a light foliar spray and shake. Is there a better way? Thanks for reading long post.

redclover

Eh if yer gonna use some one elses work and pass it off as your own thats just bad taste.

The original...

http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/e08/08a.htm

Huh? I would never do that. It's not like I'm a pollen chucker, auctioneer, or mail man lol. It's just something that happened, and I rolled with it. Sounds like I'm talking to an ex lol. If I had the room and time, I'd love to start a journey with some landraces.

I do have ?...Will super cropping a mom starting to produce seeds have a negative effect?! Can a mom go herm? Thanks in advance.

X

XxxMedicatedxxX

I want asking something , i read a lot but answers are depends.
For example if mother was grown from good genetics and looks healthy but was growing in small pot and weak light and its smaller than she should be. Her kids in good environment will be more like she or like grands?
In short: environmental factors impact on future genes?
I guess - yes. But want ask you. Greetings.

generalgreenous

Please forgive me as it seems I do not have enough posts to open a new thread. If this creates an issue, please let me know. Thank you all.

I have a breeding question which I would like some help with. My situation is as follows...

I have two IBLs. Both are potent. One line has fantastic flavor, but the bud structure and yield are lacking. The other is a beast with yield and structure, but the flavor is lacking. I would like to breed these lines for the combination of flavor, structure/yield, and potency. I am a closet breeder, and this project is strictly for myself, and my patients. I have been looking to take on this project for quite some time, but have not had the wherewithall to work it. I am not looking for anyone to give me a formula or trade secret, I am simply looking for a place to start and a general direction. I also understand that a project like this requires a great deal of work, and I am prepared for this as well. Finally, I have no problem with a learning curve and am happy to take the time and endure the inevitable letdowns and mistakes necessary to work this project. Anyways, I have a few questions...

~Is it possible that great flavor is a recessive trait, and in the same token is it possible that bud structure/yield is recessive?

~What is the best way to go about trying to breed these IBLs?

My plan was the following...

~Open pollinate each IBL separately and choose the male and female that best represents the traits I'm looking for in each line respectively.

~Breed these plants together in a controlled, methodical manner, backcrossing both a f/m combo and a m/f combo of each line, to eventually incross together.

Is this scenario likely to give me the results I am looking for? I would ASSUME (please cut me some slack, this is why I am here and asking) that these three traits would all be dominant traits, so I would be looking for a F and M with High flavor, but lacking structure/yield, and a F and M with High bud structure/yield, but lacking flavor.

Does my plan make sense, and is there any advice to give me? Many thanks and much respect.

~~GG

mac777

Do F2s come out uniformed or are there several phenos?

bushweed

Veteran
I want asking something , i read a lot but answers are depends.
For example if mother was grown from good genetics and looks healthy but was growing in small pot and weak light and its smaller than she should be. Her kids in good environment will be more like she or like grands?
In short: environmental factors impact on future genes?
I guess - yes. But want ask you. Greetings.

I think the health and vigor of the mother affects the offspring definitely.

My plan was the following...

~Open pollinate each IBL separately and choose the male and female that best represents the traits I'm looking for in each line respectively.

~Breed these plants together in a controlled, methodical manner, backcrossing both a f/m combo and a m/f combo of each line, to eventually incross together.

Is this scenario likely to give me the results I am looking for? I would ASSUME (please cut me some slack, this is why I am here and asking) that these three traits would all be dominant traits, so I would be looking for a F and M with High flavor, but lacking structure/yield, and a F and M with High bud structure/yield, but lacking flavor.

Your plan is sound, however it all hinges on what you do selecting the offspring from the cross of your two inbred lines for further mating. Basically I see four outcomes from your initial cross; small buds/ no taste; small buds/ great taste; big buds/ no taste; big buds/ great taste. Clearly you want the plants that display big buds/great taste.

Then you select the males. The fastest way to achieve your goal is to reverse males with colloidal silver or giberillic acid and choose the ones that display larger buds/ great taste. If that's not you're thing, then you're looking at successive generations of back crossing until you stabilize the big bud/ great taste trait. It seems to me that the first option is easiest.

The main thing is you have two potent parent lines. As long as you select wisely you can't go wrong.

More phenos in f2s than f1s.

bushweed

Veteran
What if you pollinate some branches and then she hems later on?

I guess it depends on how much you value the qualities of the plant you've pollinated. If she has sisters with the same positive attributes and no hermi traits, you pick them and throw away the hermi. A lot of breeders won't touch hermis. Others suggest you can use hermi offspring by only selecting the ones where the trait's recessive. I have a Thai that only ever produces female hermis, but the high is so balanced and euphoric I'm compelled to keep her around. If you do keep your hermi line, you must ensure isolation when it flowers.

generalgreenous

Your plan is sound, however it all hinges on what you do selecting the offspring from the cross of your two inbred lines for further mating. Basically I see four outcomes from your initial cross; small buds/ no taste; small buds/ great taste; big buds/ no taste; big buds/ great taste. Clearly you want the plants that display big buds/great taste.

Then you select the males. The fastest way to achieve your goal is to reverse males with colloidal silver or giberillic acid and choose the ones that display larger buds/ great taste. If that's not you're thing, then you're looking at successive generations of back crossing until you stabilize the big bud/ great taste trait. It seems to me that the first option is easiest.

The main thing is you have two potent parent lines. As long as you select wisely you can't go wrong.

More phenos in f2s than f1s.

Thank you very much bushweed. Great info. Reiterate one question from above... do you believe that either of the traits I am looking for would be recessive?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
hi
hope i get some answers here

i´m growing some deepchunk corecut from ff in vienna

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=290591

and there are some people who say that they might be powerhouse(DCxC99).

i saved some clone for making fem seeds.
could growing these seeds be an answer if dc or ph?
like all offsprings look uniform it might be dc?

and if off springs look different(think it should be 25%,25%,50%) it could be ph?

thx willi

Latest posts

Latest posts