What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding for beginners

aunz420

Wow, some good info in this thread. But also a lot of off-topic and rubbish also - Hard work to sort through when attempting to learn a complicated aspect of the subject of cannabis. Thanks

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, some good info in this thread. But also a lot of off-topic and rubbish also - Hard work to sort through when attempting to learn a complicated aspect of the subject of cannabis. Thanks

If ya want info without all the rubbish go buy a book or two.
I suggest R.C.C.s Marijuana Botany & THE CANNABIS BREEDERS BIBLE from Greg Green. There are others but those two I personally have.
:tiphat:

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
hey breeders and all cannabis lovers :) i just want to know where to buy a lot of feminized seeds? What will be pricedfor i dont know 500, 1000, 1500 maybe 10000 seeds?

thanks for answer :tiphat:

Google "cannabis seeds wholesale" if youre a business person or
"Cannabis seeds bulk sale" if you're private. Theres a site that sells all kinds if strains in bulk but i think its not allowed to post the address.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
To pollinate & not contaminate:
Use a small paper sack like a lunch bag or make your own out of parchment paper.
Place a small amount of pollen in a corner and fold it so the pollen can't just fall out.
Placs the sack over a branch that you want to pollenate and use a string, twist tie, zip tie, what have you, to seal the bag around the branch.
Unfold the corner with the pollen in it & shake the bag. This will spread the pollen throughout the bag pollinating every viable pistil in the bag.
Leave bag on for 24-48 hours, shaking at least one more time.
Before you remove the bag, spray your mother down with water, nearly drenching her. (She might get pissed so be prepared to run. Lmao!)
As you are removing the bag, spray down the pollenated branch. Water kills viable pollen.
Waa laa!
Sit back and wait for your seeds ti develop.
I find that feeding your plant the entire time of seed development makes for stronger, longer lasting seed.
Development takes around 5 weeks. I prefer harvedting seed after 6 weeks & typically let them go 7 or 8.

You might look to Flying Dutchmen or KC Brains for Kerala. I seem to remember one of them using/having it.

Subway sandwich bags are nice! they are long and fit over an entire cola well.

coldcanna

Veteran
I would make every effort to pollinate in separate rooms if at all possible.... i tried the select pollination and ended up seeding my entire production room, oops! Not saying that plenty of people aren't doing it successfully, just that if you F it up you really F it up.

Tony I blame you! It was pollen from you G Bub and Gorilla BX boy those bastards had some nuts on them! Now I have a bunch of open pollination work to sift through, should be fire though with how good your Gorilla work is and my Pineapple and SD cuts I've been rockin

One Güey

Hi all

I got a mango haze male that I would love to use because The smell that it puts out. Just like mango. But its too sensitive and has a lot of bottom yellow leaves compared to the other two females.

I always heard male are stronger but it seems its the opposite on this side.

Should I use it or cull it for breeding?
I still got 10 more seeds to use.

Thanks

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Really want to get into breeding but have no clue where to even start - this is a great thread thanks!
Hi Rusko I recognized you from IG. I am also trying to up my breeding game. Next thing I need to do is build an isolation chamber for my males so I can flower them without pollinating the rest of my crop!

thejact55

Hi all

I got a mango haze male that I would love to use because The smell that it puts out. Just like mango. But its too sensitive and has a lot of bottom yellow leaves compared to the other two females.

I always heard male are stronger but it seems its the opposite on this side.

Should I use it or cull it for breeding?
I still got 10 more seeds to use.

Thanks

Clone it. Then pop all your seeds. If you find a better specimen, toss it. If you dont, then that's your guy.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really want to get into breeding but have no clue where to even start - this is a great thread thanks!

Hi Rusko I recognized you from IG. I am also trying to up my breeding game. Next thing I need to do is build an isolation chamber for my males so I can flower them without pollinating the rest of my crop!

I got started when I let a male do his thing with a few ladies. No iso chamber or special equipment used. Just a planned seed run in the flower tent.
That's all you need to get started.
If you run perpetual you can remove your ladies to be pollinated from the room & dust them where contamination will be minimized/eliminated. Once dusted let the girls sit for a couple few hours & spray with water to kill any stray pollen. Place your gals back in the flower tent & collect seeds once done & dried.

It really is a fairly straight forward simple process once you've got it figured out.

I suggest planning a seed run for your first pollination.

If you absolutely cannot flower out a male in another area, then you need an iso chamber. Even a couple snips, in a glass of water, can give loads of pollen.

hi moses wellfleet,

That's cool man! I recently moved over here but kept the same name for that reason :D

sounds smart to keep your males separate, good idea.

I got started when I let a male do his thing with a few ladies. No iso chamber or special equipment used. Just a planned seed run in the flower tent.
That's all you need to get started.
If you run perpetual you can remove your ladies to be pollinated from the room & dust them where contamination will be minimized/eliminated. Once dusted let the girls sit for a couple few hours & spray with water to kill any stray pollen. Place your gals back in the flower tent & collect seeds once done & dried.

It really is a fairly straight forward simple process once you've got it figured out.

I suggest planning a seed run for your first pollination.

If you absolutely cannot flower out a male in another area, then you need an iso chamber. Even a couple snips, in a glass of water, can give loads of pollen.

I need to get a hold of a male but not sure what strain would be good for making seeds.
Thanks for the info!
Maybe even moving a female in a male room and letting her finish in there might be a good idea?
I've seen people using a paint bursh to pollinate single buds but never heard of what you suggested with water but it makes sense - with air flow pollen could get everywhere.

Y

Yard dog

FAO MjPassion

you state;

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your use of thr term phenotype is incorrect also. Phenotype cannot be determined by looking at genetic sequences alone.[/FONT]
and I presume you have took this from;

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
ie: Plant A = AA, Plant B = BB you're only getting one phenotype (and genotype)...... AB, pretty sure that would make it a homogeneous group!!
(More likely to be like AA x Bb giving 1 phenotype but 2 genotypes)

(all above is in the most simplistic terms ie one trait etc)
If there is 1 genotype you can only get 1 phenotype, a phenotype by definition is " the set of observable characteristics of an individual resulting from the interaction of it's genotype with the environment"
Explain to me how I'm wrong? if you mean the bit where I state 1 phenotype yet 2 genotypes this still correct as you won't see the other side because A is masking it.... (so you grow them all out in a nice environment and all things are equal those plants will look the same yet genetically they aren't the same).. take any plant into a different environment and it will grow differently that is obvious.
[/FONT]

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
If I diluted my pollen with 1 part pollen to 3 parts flour, and used a fine painters brush to apply to selected lower buds outside of the room and put back in the room, what is the risk/chance/amount that other plants would get pollinated by any stray pollen? I mean its already diluted 75% and has been in the freezer for a month so its not super potent, if I apply a little bit, I can't see any excess flying around. Is it going to ruin my crop with 1000s of seeds? if its a couple of seeds per quarter of flower on random plants , Im ok with that amount. Once its like 20 seeds per 1/4 that is brutal and I want to avoid. I really don't want to spray my plants with water as I don't want to risk getting PM from high humidity spikes. I went through PM for over a year and am finally free and in week 4 of bloom. Fingers crossed. And Im pollinating small selected lower flowers so impossible to do the bag method on them as its not whole branches Im doing.