What's new

Breeding for beginners

gooboo

A practical breeding question

A practical breeding question

The Bubblegum was originally a sativa or at least mostly sativa plant.

Serious Seeds bubblegum leans more towards sativa than the other available bubblegums out there....but most ppl say that Serious's bubblegum still leans to the indica side more than the original bubblegum from Indiana

Those who have grown Serious' say that it has 2 main phenos:..one more sativa...one more indica.

The question is how would you go about breeding for an even more sativa plant and still keep the taste, the smell, and the happy, 'fuzzy' high, as well as the yield of Serious' Bubblegum?

...and to start lets assume that you have grown out a couple of packs of Serious' bubblegum and have an outstanding male and female of the sativa pheno as well as an outstanding male indica pheno.

Last edited:

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
gooboo said:
The Bubblegum was originally a sativa or at least mostly sativa plant.

Serious Seeds bubblegum leans more towards sativa than the other available bubblegums out there....but most ppl say that Serious's bubblegum still leans to the indica side more than the original bubblegum from Indiana

Those who have grown Serious' say that it has 2 main phenos:..one more sativa...one more indica.

The question is how would you go about breeding for an even more sativa plant and still keep the taste, the smell, and the happy, 'fuzzy' high, as well as the yield of Serious' Bubblegum?

...and to start lets assume that you have grown out a couple of packs of Serious' bubblegum and have an outstanding male and female of the sativa pheno as well as an outstanding male indica pheno.
there are a few ways here my choices:the first would be
taking original bubblegum sat from ss and inbreeding it about 3 times. Then on the 4th taking a full indica pheno for smells and lost traits. Then take this final product and back cross it to the original bb sat SS that started the project, then select for sativa's.

the other way be to take 3rd gen sats from SS and use a mostly sat from another source with it being less sat and a little more indica. Hope that makes sense.

Screening Seedlings for “Early Onset Aroma”

When F-1 and F-2’s reproduce outdoors, large numbers of seeds often result. Can a small-scale breeder, with very limited space, make efficient choices from among 100’s of siblings? Could the easiest method to thin the ranks be culling every seedling that doesn’t pass the "sniff test"? Is “early onset aroma” a useful selection tool when making filial breeding decisions?

Do seedlings with no aroma, or smelling like a haystack or lawn, have a smaller likelihood of being as strong, or stronger, or better medicine, than its’ sibling seedlings that smell like a skunk, pine tree, orange, or mango?

( D.J. Short and others have noted that some smells are linked to “good” breeding results, while other aromas often result in negative outcomes. )
We're aware of one experiment on F-3 crosses that tested for scent several times ( 4 - 8 inches tall ). Between 18% and 20% of the seedlings expressed either a “positive” smell, or a general "stink".

Does anyone have an opinion, or have experience in using this method? If 80% of the seeds can be eliminated quickly, it could prove to be a great filial breeding shortcut that wouldn’t require maintaining a stock of clones.

It could take as few as two generations to see if the percentage of early aromatic seedlings increases, or stays the same, and what effects, if any, there might be on vigor, potency, and that of their progeny.

What do you think?

Last edited:

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
i have noticed that. When my plants are small they can smell. Often with as little as 3 nodes. I lightly rub leaf and smell. You cant really test more then one plant per session to avoid being used to the smell. I have no idea whether or not they make for better plants. But if you want something like roadkill skunk maybe this is whats needed to breed them.

gooboo

Thanks GPB, :joint: ...I was already thinking about the second option you gave for the Bubblegum, ...crossing the female sativa Bubblegum with a male indica Satori, then selecting a sativa female from the cross and backcrossing to the sativa Bubblegum male. ..might work too...it'll smoke either way!

I was thinking about the doing something similar with the O.Haze x Skunk freebies, backcrossing a female to 'the Pure', the skunk pheno, to tone it down a bit and bring it in sooner.

I really appreciate the help bro. Peace

Last edited:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
So I polinated some Grandaddy Purple and some purple kush with a Hashberry from madala seeds, what should I expect? I think hashberry is an F1...

Last edited:

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
expect some killer varieties but there might also be some weird plants with the seeds I suggest inbreeding and keep looking for the one special plant.

B

BeKind

Anyone know if crossing a SDxK Male with a Jack's cleaner Fem would be a good idea? or has it been done? I think that would produce a unique flavor and smell. any thoughts?

B

BeAn

^^Corssing anything to anything will produce nice phenos(if ya grow enough F1's), just some crosses more than others...its all about how the genes combine.:D

Possum

you ever notice lots of people talk about what they are gonna breed, but few ever bring anything back to the table?

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
BeKind said:
Anyone know if crossing a SDxK Male with a Jack's cleaner Fem would be a good idea? or has it been done? I think that would produce a unique flavor and smell. any thoughts?

sounds good try it and see what u get. Should be very nice.

MRBIg$

What the f*** you mean 350$ a oz
Veteran
NEED SOME HELP PLEASE

NEED SOME HELP PLEASE

Ok here is what I got I have got 9 females 2x ak47 2xchemdog d bx1 2x chemdog d bx2 2x snowdog bx1 and last but not least 1x sour diesel all are in separate room from males at 15 days flower in the mail room I have 1x sourdiesel 1x ak47 1x chemdog d bx1 1xchemdog d bx2 1x snowdog bx1 also at 15 days flower all of the males are starting to drop pollen what I would like help with is this what I want to do is collect pollen from all the males and pollinate one branch on every female so I will have a cross of everything I will do the lower branches and mark each branch when it is time to harvest I will cut off half the plant for smoke and let the lower branches finish with the seeds is this viable? Or is this going to be too much work for a first time seed maker??? One other question I am going to have to collect pollen soon I should be alright to just put it in paper bindles for about a week or two and then use it when I have little bigger bud sight on lower branches
Of the females or does that matter??? Much I don’t need 100 of seeds just some to play with thanks for your help peace.
:jump:

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
MRBIg$ said:
what I would like help with is this what I want to do is collect pollen from all the males and pollinate one branch on every female so I will have a cross of everything I will do the lower branches and mark each branch when it is time to harvest I will cut off half the plant for smoke and let the lower branches finish with the seeds is this viable? Or is this going to be too much work for a first time seed maker??? One other question I am going to have to collect pollen soon I should be alright to just put it in paper bindles for about a week or two and then use it when I have little bigger bud sight on lower branches
Of the females or does that matter??? Much I don’t need 100 of seeds just some to play with thanks for your help peace.
:jump:
That shouldnt be too hard. Just keep control of pollen. I like to keep pollen in small ziplock baggies you need to make sure there isnt any plant material in there that could rot. Keep in a dry dark place as light breaks down pollen. Make sure to mark branches. Taking the upper finished buds and leaving lower plant for seeds should be easy. Just remember for each 2 hairs on a plant it will make one seed. So a small 3 node bud or cola willbe on the order on 30 seeds or more. :muahaha:

I laughed, then I laughed so hard I cried...somewhere around post 90...then I got ice-o-lator hashish in my eyes trying to rub out the tears. Now I have an allergy attack and can barely see...will do....so I washed out my eyes.

They should put a warning on this thread: May be hazardous to health!

I'm sure there's some other thread where this belongs...but this place feels rather homely already...

My questions really boil down to genetic linkage and if someone dares chromosomal cross-over...
I find with as many brawling breeders/ pollen-chuckers/ and seedmakers or whatever we have on this site; we should have by now come out with some form of guide or general roster of genetically linked traits (Pls let me know if I am missing something).

Like let's go to those 40 pgs of DJ text that all have been sucking up as one of the true knowledge bases (along with a few others). There we have mentioned that the crinkle leaf found in some of DJs strains has been linked to a super strong sativa genotype. This would be a mention of genetically linked traits. I do not know if the crinkle was actually related to the super strong sativa, but if we start an area where peeps can record the knowledge we collectively have, I might be able to know a little more genetic links (this saves time when developing medicinal strains made for specific problems, or with certain intentions).

Commonly two traits will be connected and will be passed down together.....anyone know of any of these genetically linked traits in any strains from their experiences?

...besides Indy/ sativa: short/ tall height, and shorter/ longer flowering times.

How 'bout the hollow stem facilitating THC production...anyone see correlations on P deficiencies in the stronger ones, even in growth? How 'bout purps from P deficiencies...and a hollow stem.... multiple combinations? Anyone find genetically linked traits???

...the dopaminergenic pathways

Edit: Link to some great articles on genetics on icmag:
< http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=49499&page=1&pp=15 >

Last edited:

killa-bud

Veteran
i have a male,and it seems to be opening a few balls every few days,but since,its only one or two,by the time i noticed the pollen is gone already...are these just a few that matured earlier? or do they open up in stages?

Last edited:

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
killa-bud said:
i have a male,and it seems to be opening a few balls every few days,but since,its only one or two,by the time i noticed the pollen is gone already...are these just a few that matured earlier? or do they open up in stages?

it could be a hermie. A full on flowering male should have so many of those after 5 days its not even funny. :cuss:

I

ihave2kittens

THANKS!mm88eeee!!!

now i FINALLY understand genetics at a basic level now i know what im looking for and stuff K++