What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brass Capsules

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1711501502138.jpeg

Oval Custard Cups (4 pc. Set), 10 oz.​

This is what I'm using to infuse the oil. They are tapered with a more narrow bottom and will help contain the oil so its easier to work with hopefully.

No run today, ran out of daylight. But we are all deseed, so should get an update tomorrow. Love it! :smoke:

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Why use carbon dioxide extraction?​

Carbon dioxide is the most common compound used in high-pressure extraction. It boasts a number of benefits compared to other solvents used for botanical extraction.

For starters, carbon dioxide is a non-toxic substance that is readily available commercially for lower costs than other chemical alternatives. In addition, carbon dioxide is environmentally safe, straightforward to work with, and it creates a superior product typically free of any by-products or residue. Temperature, time, flow rate, and pressure can be manipulated to enable the precise extraction of specific cannabis compounds.

CO2 has also been designated generally accepted as safe (GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Although CO2 is somewhat new in cannabis concentrate processing, the technology is commonplace in the botanical extraction and food industries.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Running them for 2-3 minutes. Is 60 seconds adequate or can i get more yield if I run longer?

going to experiment

CharlesU Farley

Why use carbon dioxide extraction?​

Carbon dioxide is the most common compound used in high-pressure extraction. It boasts a number of benefits compared to other solvents used for botanical extraction.

For starters, carbon dioxide is a non-toxic substance that is readily available commercially for lower costs than other chemical alternatives. In addition, carbon dioxide is environmentally safe, straightforward to work with, and it creates a superior product typically free of any by-products or residue. Temperature, time, flow rate, and pressure can be manipulated to enable the precise extraction of specific cannabis compounds.

CO2 has also been designated generally accepted as safe (GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Although CO2 is somewhat new in cannabis concentrate processing, the technology is commonplace in the botanical extraction and food industries.
If that could be done in a DIY fashion, I would be all over this method.

BrassNwood

Veteran
PXL_20240327_162338737.jpg

With 15 pounds of Dry Ice I got to work.

PXL_20240327_181407502.jpg

Load after load after.

PXL_20240327_184108443.jpg

The end is near with the last of the DI

PXL_20240327_203304056.jpg

A bit over 20 grams per Jar.

PXL_20240327_210950845.jpg

PXL_20240327_210950845.jpg

With the Hash made it was time to start making Oil. 2 loads of Hash.

PXL_20240327_211841819.jpg

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes.

PXL_20240327_234401340.jpg

15 grams decarbed Hash
3 tablespoons Coconut oil (45ml)
1 teaspoon Fearn liquid lecithin
Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (104 C)
Freeze
Heat 220 F for 20.
Done
Fills 90 #0 capsules. 2 dishes = 180 caps. Got the initial heat done and left them in the freezer for the night.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ordered the liquid lecithin so I can try it. I calculated it will last 192 rounds of 15 grams hash at a tablespoon per round!

Cant wait to try it. I have a brother who has Multiple Sclerosis and my neighbor has pain issues. Going to make some capsules and give them to friends and family for Easter. :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Makes sense to use liquid to make it more even in solution. May just take the sunflower as a suppliment,.

BrassNwood

Veteran
Do you decarboxylate and infuse the oil outdoors in the toaster oven to reduce the smell in the house?
Yes. I knew from long ago just how world filling the smell of roasting weed and Hash can be, so I never even considered doing it inside. I'd done 1 or 2 batches in a really old toaster oven from the 50s that wouldn't run below 300 F. Spotted this one on the curb trash pickup day and it took me about 30 seconds to bypass the broken timer. It's got the reverse problem and won't go over 300 F so perfect for my needs.

When I'm decarbing the scraps to make tincture it's an all-day deal with tray after tray so the stink lasts long enough for all the neighbors to enjoy. LMAO

After the finger wipe and licking of the bowl yesterday afternoon I was roaring high. Hard trip I'll list it as. Didn't think I've sleep much but did surprisingly enough but the 4 caps I took when I got up at 04:00 have gotten together with the remnants of the prior dosages and pushed me to the edge again. Son of a..... Whew this was a touch more then I aimed for.

Think I'll go lay back down a few and watch the light show in my eyes.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the warning. Sounds a little rough, but still a little fun. I bet it tastes really good.

Will have to experiment in the weekend to determine dosage.

Thanks for telling me about the smell. I have some branches to burn so it will be good to cover it up. Neighbors already mowed. I have cool neighbors thankfully.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool, so it just has to all freeze then you can proceed. Sounds good. Thats what I figured.

Using a glass dish so will freeze a little slower, but good go hear its quick, so it can be done in short period of time.

Don't have a "your majesty" anymore so the coast is clear. Should be able to manage if nobody is outside during rainy afternoon. Screw it, its my medicine. I can't keep waiting. My dog need it too. Can't wait to get my dose dialed in.

I do like to smoke for the aroma, terpene therapy, so I will keep it low dose. This will be a much better product than the FDA has allowed Dronabonol.

Marinol oral capsulesSyndros oral solution
• 2.5 mg
• 5 mg
• 10 mg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Going to have to wait to do bigger batches until i get the liquid lecithin in the mail. Also the neighbors are home on Spring break.​

Could do a 5 gram smaller batch and it would smell less. May do that this afternoon if it stays rainy. My dog needs the meds too.

So to make a topical out of the capsule mix, I think you can just dilute with warmed coconut oil to a 125 mg THC/ 1/2 oz like the CBD Salve.

Kief coconut oil using your recipe is 3 mg THC per drop so it would be 42 drops per 1/2 oz salve.

Tips for reducing odor when making cannabis oil​

As it takes hours to infuse coconut oil, a weed odor may build up in your kitchen via steam and the decarbing process.

The trick for reducing odor is using the right equipment for decarboxylation. and maintaining ventilation.

Turn on a vent or fan while infusing the oil to keep the smell down, or open a window. If you’re concerned about the neighbors smelling it, stick to the fan or vent.

But accidents happen! If you find yourself in a situation where your space is too pungent, check out our article on how to get rid of the cannabis odor.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Preparing to decarb.

Will do a batch with the sunflower lecithin powder and do the next batch with liquid lecithin. I assume the amount would be the same, a teaspoon sunflower lecithin powder per 15 grams kief.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use a #0 (single zero) that holds 0.68ml of fluid.

Order empty capsules online. THe oil filled capsules last for years at room temps although I do keep the big jar of them in the fridge.

I've only used the standard gelatin capsules.

The soy based has a higher bang effect IMO and is substantially cheaper in most cases, but many do prefer the sunflower based.
Will wait to use the liquid licithin when it comes in. I thought it may have a better effect since its already in solution as a liquid lecithin. Its going to be a minimal amount of soy in the mix. I would rather use that if it works better.

Looking forward to trying it! Can smoke the kief until then. :smoke:

BrassNwood

Veteran
Will wait to use the liquid licithin when it comes in. I thought it may have a better effect since its already in solution as a liquid lecithin. Its going to be a minimal amount of soy in the mix. I would rather use that if it works better.

Looking forward to trying it! Can smoke the kief until then. :smoke:
I'm jones'n something awful as I'm on a self-enforced stop on all inhalation until I get past this medical situation. Tincture just doesn't have that hard hit that smoking Hash does.

I'll decarb a jar worth of Kief this coming week and see if that raises the punch. I've never tried total replacement of inhalation with tincture only using it when we travel and it's inconvenient to smoke on hotel grounds.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The CBD tincture I use has mct coconut oil. Would it help to add coconut oil or coconut oil w/ lechithin to the tincture?

When I take CBD I keep it in my mouth and breathe, and it seems to give some inhalation vapors to absorb. Never used a medical cannabis THC tincture. Smoking is hard to beat.

Would a vaporizer be too much? Used to use a Vapor brothers vapeorizer, but prefer smoking.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used a 160 micron until it wore out and now I'm using a 220. Chase down a painter truck as you want a plastic 1 gallon paint can. They hold up to the abuse where a metal can fails in a few minutes.

I just see who them has cheapest online with reasonable shipping cost as they don't weigh anything..
Solaray brand.

Bud dust paste = 1 drop = 1 mg of THC. A #0 capsule holds about 20 drops.
Hash paste is 3mg per drop of finished goo
RSO is 4mg and top end 90% concentrates are 6mg of THC per drop of finished oil.

2 or 3 milligrams is a good place to start. Wait 90 minutes and see how it feels.
Add the powder lecithin slowly to avoid clumping.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

#1 BrassNwood, Nov 12, 2016
The basic ratio is
5 grams of hash-kief (dry ice method with a 160 micron screen)
2.5 teaspoons of oil
.5 teaspoon lecithin..
Decarb material 240F for 40 minutes
Blend decarbed material with oil and heat 220 F for 20 minutes..
Makes 30 (0) capsules.. Average of 25 drops of hot hash oil per cap

Latest posts

Latest posts