What's new

Boycott Progressive

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
this is a sad story I read today

http://mattfisher.tumblr.com/post/29338478278/my-sister-paid-progressive-insurance-to-defend-her

My Sister Paid Progressive Insurance to Defend Her Killer In Court
I’ve been sending out some impertinent tweets about Progressive Insurance lately, but I haven’t explained how they pissed me off. So I will do that here as succinctly as possible. There’s a general understanding that says, “insurance companies— oh they’re awful,” but since Progressive turned their shit hose on my late sister and my parents, I’ve learned some things that really surprised me.​
I’ll try to cleave to the facts. On June 19, 2010, my sister was driving in Baltimore when her car was struck by another car and she was killed. The other driver had run a red light and hit my sister as she crossed the intersection on the green light.​
Now, I don’t discount the possibility that Katie was at fault in the accident, but it never really looked that way. The only witness who gave a statement on the day said that Katie had the light, etc. The totality of the evidence left some room for argument, but that will be the case any time there’s a catastrophic car accident that doesn’t happen underneath an array of video cameras.​
One indication that the case was pretty open-and-shut was that the other guy’s insurance company looked at the situation and settled with my sister’s estate basically immediately. Now, because the other driver was underinsured, that payment didn’t amount to much, but my sister carried a policy with Progressive against the possibility of an accident with an underinsured driver. So Progressive was now on the hook for the difference between the other guy’s insurance and the value of Katie’s policy.​
At which point we learned the first surprising thing about Progressive: Carrying Progressive insurance and getting into an accident does not entitle you to the value of your insurance policy. It just pisses off Progressive’s lawyers. Here I address you, Prospective Progressive Insurance Customer: someday when you have your accident, I promise that there will be enough wiggle room for Progressive’s bottomless stack of in-house attorneys to make a court case out of it and to hammer at that court case until you or your surviving loved ones run out of money.​
Which is what Progressive decided to do to my family. In hopes that a jury would hang or decide that the accident was her fault, they refused to pay the policy to my sister’s estate.​
Out of a sense of honor, and out of a sense of the cost of my sister’s outstanding student loans, my folks opted to try to go after the money through legal channels. At which point they learned another delightful thing. In Maryland, you may not sue an insurance company when they refuse to fork over your money. Instead, what they had to do was sue the guy who killed my sister, establish his negligence in court, and then leverage that decision to force Progressive to pay the policy.​
Now my parents don’t harbor much venom for the guy who killed my sister. It was an accident, and kicking that guy around won’t bring Katie back. But kicking that guy around was the only way to get Progressive to pay. So they filed a civil suit against the other driver in hopes that, rather than going to court, Progressive would settle. Progressive did not. Progressive made a series of offers (never higher than 1/3 the amount they owe) and then let it go to a trial.​
At the trial, the guy who killed my sister was defended by Progressive’s legal team.
If you are insured by Progressive, and they owe you money, they will defend your killer in court in order to not pay you your policy.
The trial was a real shitshow for my parents, and I did not love it either. As it happens, the jury did find that the other driver was negligent, which, if justice or decency are priorities for Progressive, will result in them finally honoring Katie’s policy. At this point, I hope you’ll forgive me if I wait for it to actually happen.​
Don’t buy insurance from Progressive. Not only will you be paying the salaries of people who put my family through the wringer (really a smaller wringer that Progressive attached to the main wringer of my sister’s death), but also when the chips are down, your money will have bought you nothing but a kick in the face.​

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
I will support this an change my insurance, sorry for your loss.

thank God it isn't my sister

I read this story today, didn't happen to anyone I know, but it blows my mind, and I thought I would share

I mean you pay insurance so when something, if ever, happens. Then when it does your insurance company defends your killer? Gone to hell in a hand basket we have

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well if only it were that simple. Fact is most insurance companies are scum looking to make millions.
At least with this company I know where some of those millions are going.
For that reason I cannot support this boycott and would encourage others to do the same.:ying:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2011/09/21/billionaire-peter-lewis-my-war-on-drug-laws/

Progressive Insurance chairman Peter Lewis has devoted many years and millions of dollars to reforming marijuana policy. Below, in his own words, he tells FORBES why he’ll keep battling drug laws. This story is featured in the latest FORBES 400 issue, newsstand date October 10, 2011.
Our marijuana laws are outdated, ineffective and stupid. I’m not alone in thinking this: Half of Americans believe we should stop punishing people for using marijuana. And not coincidentally, more than half of Americans have used marijuana themselves. I am one of those Americans, and I know firsthand that marijuana can be helpful and that it certainly isn’t cause for locking anyone up.
My story is fairly simple. I grew up after college in a world where social drinking was the norm but marijuana was hidden. When I was 39 I tried marijuana for the first time. I found it to be better than scotch. But it wasn’t until I had serious medical problems that I realized how important marijuana could be.
When I was 64 my left leg was amputated below the knee because there was an infection that couldn’t be cured. I spent a year after the amputation in excruciating pain and a year in a wheelchair. So during that period I was very glad I had marijuana. It didn’t exactly eliminate the pain, but it made the pain tolerable—and it let me avoid those heavy-duty narcotic pain relievers that leave you incapacitated.
I am a progressive by birth, by nature, by philosophy—that’s the name of the insurance company I ran as well, which is coincidental—but I am a small ‘p’ progressive. I don’t believe that laws against things that people do regularly, like safe and responsible use of marijuana, make any sense. Everything that has been done to enforce these laws has had a negative effect, with no results.
It’s become sort of a central philanthropic interest of mine—by no means my only interest. But I’m pretty clear. I’ve thought it through, and I’m trying to accomplish something. My mission is to reduce the penalties for growing, using and selling marijuana. It’s that simple.
I’ve been conducting a great deal of research on public opinion on marijuana. Change in this area is inevitable, much like the movement toward equal rights for gays and lesbians. An ever shrinking fraction of the country resists changing marijuana laws, largely for moral reasons. But change is coming. It’s just a question of when and how we get there.
When you think about all the people who have used marijuana—from political leaders to sports stars to corporate executives to people from every walk of life—one way to win this battle is for people to just be honest. If everyone who used marijuana stood up and said, “I use this; it’s pretty good,” the argument would be over.
I’m amazed that anyone could oppose marijuana for medical use. It’s compassionate. Doctors recommend it. But the federal government is so hung up on its war on drugs that it refuses to even allow medical research on marijuana. So I’ve *supported changing the laws state by state, and I’ll *continue to do so.
On legalization beyond medical use, we may be some years away, or we may find that we suddenly reach a tipping point, much like the end of alcohol prohibition in the last century. I’m supporting innovative ideas to move toward a system that would regulate, control and tax marijuana.
I’m retired; I have time to work on this, to treat it with the same seriousness that I treated my former work running a large corporation. I care deeply about it. I deeply believe that we’ll have a better country and a better world if marijuana is treated more or less like alcohol.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
Well if only it were that simple. Fact is most insurance companies are scum looking to make millions.
At least with this company I know where some of those millions are going.
For that reason I cannot support this boycott and would encourage others to do the same.:ying:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2011/09/21/billionaire-peter-lewis-my-war-on-drug-laws/

Progressive Insurance chairman Peter Lewis has devoted many years and millions of dollars to reforming marijuana policy. Below, in his own words, he tells FORBES why he’ll keep battling drug laws. This story is featured in the latest FORBES 400 issue, newsstand date October 10, 2011.
Our marijuana laws are outdated, ineffective and stupid. I’m not alone in thinking this: Half of Americans believe we should stop punishing people for using marijuana. And not coincidentally, more than half of Americans have used marijuana themselves. I am one of those Americans, and I know firsthand that marijuana can be helpful and that it certainly isn’t cause for locking anyone up.
My story is fairly simple. I grew up after college in a world where social drinking was the norm but marijuana was hidden. When I was 39 I tried marijuana for the first time. I found it to be better than scotch. But it wasn’t until I had serious medical problems that I realized how important marijuana could be.
When I was 64 my left leg was amputated below the knee because there was an infection that couldn’t be cured. I spent a year after the amputation in excruciating pain and a year in a wheelchair. So during that period I was very glad I had marijuana. It didn’t exactly eliminate the pain, but it made the pain tolerable—and it let me avoid those heavy-duty narcotic pain relievers that leave you incapacitated.
I am a progressive by birth, by nature, by philosophy—that’s the name of the insurance company I ran as well, which is coincidental—but I am a small ‘p’ progressive. I don’t believe that laws against things that people do regularly, like safe and responsible use of marijuana, make any sense. Everything that has been done to enforce these laws has had a negative effect, with no results.
It’s become sort of a central philanthropic interest of mine—by no means my only interest. But I’m pretty clear. I’ve thought it through, and I’m trying to accomplish something. My mission is to reduce the penalties for growing, using and selling marijuana. It’s that simple.
I’ve been conducting a great deal of research on public opinion on marijuana. Change in this area is inevitable, much like the movement toward equal rights for gays and lesbians. An ever shrinking fraction of the country resists changing marijuana laws, largely for moral reasons. But change is coming. It’s just a question of when and how we get there.
When you think about all the people who have used marijuana—from political leaders to sports stars to corporate executives to people from every walk of life—one way to win this battle is for people to just be honest. If everyone who used marijuana stood up and said, “I use this; it’s pretty good,” the argument would be over.
I’m amazed that anyone could oppose marijuana for medical use. It’s compassionate. Doctors recommend it. But the federal government is so hung up on its war on drugs that it refuses to even allow medical research on marijuana. So I’ve *supported changing the laws state by state, and I’ll *continue to do so.
On legalization beyond medical use, we may be some years away, or we may find that we suddenly reach a tipping point, much like the end of alcohol prohibition in the last century. I’m supporting innovative ideas to move toward a system that would regulate, control and tax marijuana.
I’m retired; I have time to work on this, to treat it with the same seriousness that I treated my former work running a large corporation. I care deeply about it. I deeply believe that we’ll have a better country and a better world if marijuana is treated more or less like alcohol.

I personally feel that human life is worth more than some head speaking up on marijuana

gingerale

Veteran
WOW....

See....I have been screaming for years that insurance companies are fucking evil and a scam! People are/were too stupid to listen...I think the truth is starting to become obvious to people though about this and a lot of other things.

Revolution in 3.....2....

S

SeaMaiden

USAA. We had Progressive coverage on our bikes once, I read the policy and said, "This sucks! They don't actually have to pay us." But we're in California, with a slightly different set of laws. So part of the culpability here is indeed on Progressive, but the other part is on the citizens of Maryland.

The other unfortunate fact is that the insurance lobby is HUGE and influential.

G

Guest304546

USAA. We had Progressive coverage on our bikes once, I read the policy and said, "This sucks! They don't actually have to pay us." But we're in California, with a slightly different set of laws. So part of the culpability here is indeed on Progressive, but the other part is on the citizens of Maryland.

The other unfortunate fact is that the insurance lobby is HUGE and influential.

i don't know that i'd hold the citizens of Maryland responsible for this other than indirectly by electing bad state government. ...most of which are progressive, liberal Democrats btw.

...but i fully support the boycott against Progressive and frankly, i think by boycotting business' we are voting with our money.

...for example, i have not spent one red cent on a Kellogg's product since they dumped on Michael Phelps for smoking ganja and i won't EVER buy their products in my lifetime. (i know they will never apologize and change their position)

...i guess what i'm saying is we each should have the strength of character to not support those who lie to us! ...as Progressive has lied to this poor family!

AD

S

SeaMaiden

It is the citizens who *insist* on keeping incumbents in office, for DECADES. It's become a career choice. Since when has that been a career choice and it wasn't handed down along familial lines? It's almost a form of royalty (one of the things that really turns me off about people like Rand Paul--that, and he's whack-a-doodle and incredibly myopic). Therefore, I hold the citizens of Maryland and my state and my nation jointly and severantly responsible for this fucking MESS we've gotten ourselves into.

I can cite so many examples of where we as a people have gone wrong, and it begins with the lack of involvement (aka apathy) and ends with the lack of personal responsibility. Just one example is an initiative that was put on California's ballot that would have put our oil-producing and refining state in line with the other handful of states and placed a per barrel fee on all wells that produced over 10 barrels a day. ALL other states in the union do this and their citizens enjoy the benefits of those fees, most notably being Alaskans (legendary, if you will). I believe that gas prices in those other oil-producing states at the pump are typically far below prices in California, and this is important to note.

The initiative was very specific as to where those fees would go and how they would be spent--R&D of alternative energies, and building out of alternative energy infrastructure. Forward-thinking, to say the least, because one way or the other we *are* going to have to pay the piper.

What did the wonderful 60% of voting Californians do? They watched the television commercials and figured that it would raise our gasoline taxes, and so proceeded to SOUNDLY vote it down. And what's happening just a few years after it was voted down? Gasoline regularly hitting the $4/gal mark and NO FUCKING INFRASTRUCTURE, no research, let alone development of any alternative energies. And then we get that company... what were they called? Solara or something like that? The federal funding fiasco that brought all solar companies under scrutiny.

In any event, along with that we vote in senators like Boxer and Feinstein, EVERY YEAR! It's maddening trying to correspond with them as my representatives, in large part because they don't see themselves that way, they see themselves as my 'leaders.'

I'm ranting, I'll stop now, I apologize.

G

Guest304546

your rant is exactly what i'm talking about, everything you say i agree with here and i believe we as citizens are in far more danger from the liberals who are 'dogooders' of the worst sort because they pretend to do good out front while in back they do everything they can to weaken the population and to keep them ignorant preciesely because an ignorant popluation will believe the bullshit and continue to re-elect scum like Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid!

...at least with the 'greedy' conservatives you know going in their focus is in making money, ...and lets face facts, it's capitalism that has helped make us who we are as a nation! ...it's small business men and women who create the lions share of the wealth of this country as well as the vast majority of jobs.

...and lets not forget the number of our freedoms that are being stripped from us by this current, 'benevolent' administration! ...and all in the guise of keeping us safe!

...so i guess if Obama gets re-elected we can all HOPE he leaves us some CHANGE! ...his vision of a fundamental transformaton of America is to have half of us on welfare and the other half working for the government.

frankly, i think the only solution, for me at least, is to vote AGAINST the current politician who i believe poses the most imminent threat to MY freedom while i do everything i can to remove myself from their rat-race and their economy.

...so i'm currently saving my money while i search for a few acres somewhere where i can build me an earthship in hopes of freeing myself from the montly pound of flesh i now must pay to live, i need that money way more than those utility company scumbags.

AD

Radically sustainable off-grid living

Attachments

• HomepagePict350.jpeg
    HomepagePict350.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 36
  • fh000002.jpg
    fh000002.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 30
  • earthships.jpeg
    earthships.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 33
  • earthship1.jpeg
    earthship1.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 31
  • earthship1_470.jpeg
    earthship1_470.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 32

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
people just have to stop buying in masses and get the mandatory car insurance bull shit dropped from every state. I hate government forced safety. just let us fucking live and die how we please.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
amazing

of all the places I posted this story this is the only place that has a decent conversation

sad thing is most people just couldn't give a shit about anything unless it affects them personally.

we need to fix these problems before people just consider it common place. The fuck is the point of paying for insurance if they wind up bending you over and raping you in the end?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
most have become complacent and we call these people sheeple there are more of them then us...The USA is not what it was 20 years ago so sad.....

prune

Veteran
I personally feel that human life is worth more than some head speaking up on marijuana

well, he's also pretty much bankrolling the legalization effort in Ohio, and a few other places, i believe. Think folks, that's still not against the law...

G

Guest304546

well, he's also pretty much bankrolling the legalization effort in Ohio, and a few other places, i believe. Think folks, that's still not against the law...

some things are more important than personal convenience, ...i've been burnin' the ganja since '68 and i expect to continue doing so for the rest of my days regardless of any law.

...and i wonder how many millions he's made screwing people over?

do we really want that kind of blood money? ...is being legal THAT important?

integrity is a choice bro.

AD

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran

um

as much as I love my herb, I love human life more, and respect for it just as much

if a company has a policy to fuck over their paying customers then fuck em. I don't care if they support clean air and organic food, if you are all for $$$ and not your customers then fuck you. Hopefully this hurts Progressive by a 100,000 customers at least, they will feel that for sure.

MF Grimm

I'm cancelling my insurance with them and I've been a loyal customer for 12 years. And they will definitely know it's because of this.

Back to USAA or Geico I suppose.

Progressive is substandard in NY, there is much more preferred carriers yo!

Latest posts

Latest posts