What's new

Botanicals

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I probably have the name wrong or a couple of places in Huntington Beach had it incorrect.

This is Surf City after all - not exactly the best & brightest

Like this exchange at an old sandwich shop a few feet from the pier...

Waitress: Our special today is a cold roast beef sandwich and it's really good!

Me: Is it rare?

Waitress: Not really, we usually have it every week​

Last edited:

Scrappy4

Veteran
Surf Biter

If you really want to extend a helping hand when Scrappy moves there, you could offer to take him shopping for new clothes so he'll fit in with the locals...

Maybe a colorful pair of flip-flops, bermuda shorts (with a white belt), a white shirt and a bow tie and those really cool hats with the propeller on top to spin around with your finger on one hand while clutching a fried Spam sandwich with the other hand!

That way he won't appear to be a newbie when he drives around town......

CC

You paint quite an image my friend. I can imagine my lily white skin just might stick out. (we take our long johns off in may around these parts) And since I'm 6'6" and 250lb theres a lot of white skin,lol. Propeller hat eh? OK, if your sure that's what the locals wear? Well at least i know a couple of words, from watching grumpy old men......I can smell the roasting pigs now:thank you:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Hope you like Spam - fried, grilled, sautéed, etc. The good folks in Hawaii picked this one up during WWII and it's still going strong.

Do you find Horsetail Ferns in your area? And if so have you used them in any way?

CC

1255082_a89045c7.jpg

Last edited:
Hope you like Spam - fried, grilled, sautéed, etc. The good folks in Hawaii picked this one up during WWII and it's still going strong.

Do you find Horsetail Ferns in your area? And if so have you used them in any way?

CC

Still on the Horsetail Ferns I see haha how is that going to stack up against something like Pro-Tekt for it's silica content?

O

Old_Headbanger

how much is too much?

how much is too much?

How much is too much in one watering? All in recommended doses; kelp tea, bioag ful power, aloe 200x, barley sprout tea, pro-tekt. I think I remember reading somewhere in the big thread that maybe the kelp should be left out? Not all in the same watering anyway. Maybe I read it was the EWC that was to be done separate?? Idk...just wondering. Thanks.

W89

Veteran
Not sure ohb but I've mixed comfrey/kelp/alfalfa aloe and silica all at once..

B

BlueJayWay

How much is too much in one watering? All in recommended doses; kelp tea, bioag ful power, aloe 200x, barley sprout tea, pro-tekt. I think I remember reading somewhere in the big thread that maybe the kelp should be left out? Not all in the same watering anyway. Maybe I read it was the EWC that was to be done separate?? Idk...just wondering. Thanks.

I've done exactly the above frequently, also the kelp tea is often paired with say alfalfa, or comfrey...

I think about this way:

Your base is Kelp Tea

To that you're adding each additional item for each of their own seperate reasons.

If two items serve more/less the same purpose I will omit one or do both @ half amounts.

If my base is alfalfa/kelp but I also want to add neem, i'll cut the alfalfa in half, and use half the neem amount, but the kelp will stay the same.

ACT will be brewed as its own deal with its own ingredients that benefit from being brewed/bubbled together....

....Sometimes if I want the benefits of the ACT and something like the above kelp/fulvic/aloe/enzyme tea in the same watering, I'll brew them seperate but mix together before watering or water one after the other.....

At least that is what I do & I hope it all makes more sense then I felt it did by the end.

(Good to see this one stickied!)

O

Old_Headbanger

Thanks a bunch BJW. That makes perfect sense! I like kelp as a base.

W89

Veteran
I probably have the name wrong or a couple of places in Huntington Beach had it incorrect.

This is Surf City after all - not exactly the best & brightest

Like this exchange at an old sandwich shop a few feet from the pier...

Waitress: Our special today is a cold roast beef sandwich and it's really good!

Me: Is it rare?

Waitress: Not really, we usually have it every week​

You paint quite an image my friend. I can imagine my lily white skin just might stick out. (we take our long johns off in may around these parts) And since I'm 6'6" and 250lb theres a lot of white skin,lol. Propeller hat eh? OK, if your sure that's what the locals wear? Well at least i know a couple of words, from watching grumpy old men......I can smell the roasting pigs now:thank you:

LOL!

O

Old_Headbanger

In post #7 it says English ivey can be used as an insecticide. Anyone used this before? Lots of ivey around me. Pretty cool.

Seandawg

Botanicals

In post #7 it says English ivey can be used as an insecticide. Anyone used this before? Lots of ivey around me. Pretty cool.

OH

I personally have never used that particular plant as a bio-pesticide but I can assure you that they are very effective. I typically use pepper mint and lavender, fennel and gingers are also great choices .

M

MrSterling

I've had English Ivy as an expectorant but not as an insecticide.

S

SeaMaiden

We used to rely on the thick cover of English ivy to find the very best garden snails for escargot. :dunno:

It's such a fast-growing, persistent plant that I wouldn't be surprised if there may be some really nifty secondary plant metabolites you could work with in it.

B

BlueJayWay

Within the next few weeks I should be able to report back how the plants like Cannabis Meal tea vs. ....well the rest....

Sure would like to know the contents of it, like we know alfalfa/comfrey/nettle/yarrow etc etc

Seandawg

Botanicals

Within the next few weeks I should be able to report back how the plants like Cannabis Meal tea vs. ....well the rest....

Sure would like to know the contents of it, like we know alfalfa/comfrey/nettle/yarrow etc etc
http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/plants.html
Just search for cannabis sativa

I gave a friend of mine a big 15 gallon pot with my mixed soil and the only thing he uses as "feed" is a tea made from fan leaves then the spent plant material goes down as a mulch.

He didn't believe my advice at first. He doesn't question anything I tell him now lol.

B

BlueJayWay

I've looked there SurfBiter - it seems to be mostly in regards to seed content, if I'm not mistaken, I'll look again, thanks!

Seandawg

BJW

I think you're right.
I'm sure they haven't even tested marijuana plant but rather hemp grade cannabis sativa seeds that you get in the store
NUT-00010-10.jpg

From what I understand, legally acquiring a sample to test is extremely hard to do.
Of course you could walk down the street and get ganja. But for it to be approved for research means that it needs to be a consistent material and needs to come from a certified official source. Some kind of crap like that.

Basically when it comes down to it, for the use that you're planning to use. It's only as good as the soil it's grown in, and seeing that you know what you're doing I wouldn't hesitate to use that as a tea material. Honestly I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here. I'm sure you already knew all of this, just wanted confirmation is all lol.

SD

V

vonforne

I've had English Ivy as an expectorant but not as an insecticide.

English Ivy attracts mites like a magnet!!!!

As far as botanicals go I have the Medicinal Lifetime pack from Horizon Herbs That I will be using this year for my compost making and botanical teas. I have also added a few hundred of the common Comfrey and Lavender that I will be planting.

V