What's new

bobblehead overtakes

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
So would 2 Trop Blumats cover a 45 gallon Smartpots?

I don't think so, I have attached the blumat user guide and if you look at page 8 it says 3 will cover 50cm which is about 19 and a half inches. For pots that deep I think you will want to use the blumat maxi's which is just a longer version of the tropf blumat, see page 11.

Attachments

• Tropf operating_instructions.pdf
    513.1 KB · Views: 53

gurnt

bobbled have been using the cheap one not the top feed I use them as back up in lava rock there in a pocket of vermiculite .For $4.00 I CAN not see where you can go wrong with troff blumats . there $ 200 PER PLANT& 1000 per hole are more per year
With the low cost one's if the tank ran out of water they would pull a vacuum not the Blumats they had to have the line feed again

Hazed

Not the Blumat juniors

Not the Blumat juniors

I just returned the juniors and should recieve 50 of the regular blumats in a day or so.

I read in here some where (day after ordering them), that the juniors are meant for house plants and nutrients might plug them up.
The juice flows through the cone instead of through a hose, and yeah they hold there own juice so you cannot use a resevoir.

Personally I havent a fkn clue, but just thought I would mention this, and maybe save someone from making the same mistake.

This thread has been a big help to me, not to mention a good read! hope everything is going good for ya all!...Hazed

Thanks jonesb on the fluorescent light diffusers/egg crate shit that work well to allow proper drainage out from under smartpots/fabric containers sittin on pondliner or flat shelving to allow air root pruning underneath and keep shit from gettin soggy on the bottoms causing the possibility of anaerobic behavior in the rootzones......

When using that stuff be sure that your rootzone is not too humid. If it is, you will not airprune and end up with roots entangling around the light grating. Absolutely explosive roots but it's kinda messy. I know this from experience. But if you're dry enough to airprune they work great.

Saw somebody else ask about these the other day. I've never seen one in person, but from the picture they appear to be almost identical to the blumat jr's. Would have to look a lil closer, but if that's the case they are pretty much worthless to us. I know the orignals kick ass, but i'm a little skeptical about those knock offs. Even if they are principally the same as the tropf blumat, I doubt they are built to the same quality standard. Never know though, maybe they are better somehow.

Worthless, period. IMO. Fuck a buncha knockoff Chinese Blumats. Make some cheap shit ripoff and then undercut the price, fuck that. Personally, I'll buck up and buy the real deal. I've had it with Chinese garbage. I actively search out and pay for products which are "Made in the U.S.A.". I know the Blumats are Austrian or German, not American. Cheap Chinese goods are greatly undermining our economy. Sorry for the political/economical rant.

Get your 50 pack of real Blumat and move on.

Have you used the tropf blumat? It's $4 when you buy 50, and covers up to a 10" diameter supposedly... But i'll be testing that in my 6x6x18 bags...

Bobbles, bro, if I were you absentee growing I think I would seriously consider NOT using the Blumats and just drip on a timer. Blumats seems very sensitive to environmental conditions causing them to runaway. Rapid media drying will cause the Blumat to runaway because the media around the Blumat cone dries faster than the media moistens causing localized moisten and runoff. I learned this one the other day when I accidently left a fan pointed at a pot on the Blumat sensor side. Being absentee if you had a cooling failure I would say you would probably be fucked. I dunno, you're testing and working things out. Just an opinion from someone using Blumats small scale and having grown absentee. I would be uncomfortable leaving them unattended for a week at a time.

bobblehead

Veteran
I'm not on the bluemat tip with you guys, but I'm definitely buying a cycle timer ASAP. Watering 4 times a day, I get runoff in about 30 seconds if I do a 20 second "on" cycle (manually plug in pumps, wait 20 seconds, unplug pumps) four times a day. I typically do a full 30 seconds the first watering of the day. If I had a cycle timer, I could do a heavier watering the first cycle of the day (to "prime" the medium) and then do multiple short interval bursts throughout the day.

You're the man Anti! :) but rather than charging or priming the medium... You could set the cycle timer to feed until 5-10% runoff by monitoring it for 2-3 days... They make them with photo sensors so that they will only run during lights on, helping keep humidity down at night, something you can't do with blumats w/o buying a photo sensor and having it control a solenoid... Anyway, say there's a temperature swing and things get hot... or the plants just start feeding heavier. That extra bit of runoff will end up getting soaked up. Then you come back, see that there's less runoff, and add a few seconds to each feed.

bobbled have been using the cheap one not the top feed I use them as back up in lava rock there in a pocket of vermiculite .For $4.00 I CAN not see where you can go wrong with troff blumats . there $ 200 PER PLANT& 1000 per hole are more per year
With the low cost one's if the tank ran out of water they would pull a vacuum not the Blumats they had to have the line feed again

I'm confused but it's good to have you around gurnt! :D Eventually I might give the Jr's a try...

I just returned the juniors and should recieve 50 of the regular blumats in a day or so.

I read in here some where (day after ordering them), that the juniors are meant for house plants and nutrients might plug them up.
The juice flows through the cone instead of through a hose, and yeah they hold there own juice so you cannot use a resevoir.

Personally I havent a fkn clue, but just thought I would mention this, and maybe save someone from making the same mistake.

This thread has been a big help to me, not to mention a good read! hope everything is going good for ya all!...Hazed

I don't see why you can't use a reservoir with the Jr's. The cut off flow when the medium is saturated just like a tropf, so why not plug it in to a feed line? Maybe gurnt can tell us more about what he does... cause I'm thinking that if I was to use 2 Jr's per 6x6x18 bag it might be a good idea... b/c they do create their own suction. The tropf's can get air stuck in the tubing.

Worthless, period. IMO. Fuck a buncha knockoff Chinese Blumats. Make some cheap shit ripoff and then undercut the price, fuck that. Personally, I'll buck up and buy the real deal. I've had it with Chinese garbage. I actively search out and pay for products which are "Made in the U.S.A.". I know the Blumats are Austrian or German, not American. Cheap Chinese goods are greatly undermining our economy. Sorry for the political/economical rant.

Get your 50 pack of real Blumat and move on.

Yeah I have to agree with Vic... Germany has much more strict regulations on just about everything. Chinese manufacturers can get away with just about anything... Inferior materials are used on the regular... Who knows what kind of chemicals they hold... I mean they could be perfectly safe... but the bobblehead that wears a tin foil hat and hangs with Mr. D thinks otherwise... lol

Bobbles, bro, if I were you absentee growing I think I would seriously consider NOT using the Blumats and just drip on a timer. Blumats seems very sensitive to environmental conditions causing them to runaway. Rapid media drying will cause the Blumat to runaway because the media around the Blumat cone dries faster than the media moistens causing localized moisten and runoff. I learned this one the other day when I accidently left a fan pointed at a pot on the Blumat sensor side. Being absentee if you had a cooling failure I would say you would probably be fucked. I dunno, you're testing and working things out. Just an opinion from someone using Blumats small scale and having grown absentee. I would be uncomfortable leaving them unattended for a week at a time.

Yep I'm leaning toward DTW with cycle timers. My buds don't burn the same as when I watered to runoff... Granted I'm far from having dialed in the blumats... but with DTW, there's really not a lot of dialing... Just reducing the W to a reasonable level.

However... I think where I keep going wrong is not having anything to catch runoff. When the runoff begins to pool and saturate the medium, there's a better chance of the blumat shutting off. With the runoff falling and hitting the floor, the blumat is left to run until a miracle happens... lol...

IDK dude... I'm not abandoning the blumats... but I'm also not buying another 100 just yet. I want to see what they're capable of now that I'm getting a better idea of how to use them.

D

DHF

I`ve said it from the get that without plant saucers/SOMETHIN underneath EACH individual container so as to be able ta monitor how to dial down the cones till there`s all but no runoff and they`re set permanently , you`re pissin in the wind and blumats`ll drain your rez...bet on it....and....

Air in the lines causin vapor/vacuum lock is a preventable issue with a bleeder valve on the low ends of the manifolds...but....I`ve made this post in your thread a few times about you being away from your setup and running elevated levels of blumats that it`s not been done much and you`re blazing new territories so dialage takes time.....

I`ve also preached from the get that there`s not a more bulletproof setup with coco than DTW bar none , BUT.........Blumats are my preference cuz once dialed and hoonin with the insurance policy of Dripclean there IS no run off /wasted juice/residual salt buildup and that`s gotta count in the long run IME.....now....

As far as yo nugs not burnin the same , All my reports from medville stated the exact opposite although they do run straight water the last week or so through the blumats cuz they`re ALL flush/flush/organic kinda Hippy Freaks on da left coasts cuz they`re old head and maybe yas MIGHT have some residual juice left in the rootzones/plants come harvey , but again...

Shit`s gotta be dialed not just left to it`s own designs with EVERY new setup Bro....so...

Whatever yas feel most comfortable with is whatchas should stay with Bobbles cuz comfort zone`s gotta count fer somethin.....and Oh...

The knockoff Chinese cones are on a wholesale site like Ali-Baba and yas gotta buy shippin containers of em to start importing em to the US , and I`m in total agreeance in that wtf are they made of as well as the tubing could have toxic shit that off gasses and kills plants etc etc.......IOW....

German Engineering over Chinese cheap bullshit works fer me.....I was just puttin it out there for someone to do a side by side to see if they were a viable substitute for the expensive blumats.....anyways....

Hope your path to Nirvana eases up and all yer ducks get in a row cuz NOBODY deserves dialage more than you my buddy.....

Peace....Freds.....:ying:.....

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So all this shy away from Blumats - this more a coco thing? Been thinking it'd be nice to be able to step away for 3-5 day stints.

But I was thinking organic no-till bed...am I going to run into the same type of issue - taking into accordance of course that each plant would still be given it's own cone. Or there about...

Thanks for the info and sorry to detract...

dank.Frank

D

DHF

So all this shy away from Blumats - this more a coco thing? Been thinking it'd be nice to be able to step away for 3-5 day stints.

But I was thinking organic no-till bed...am I going to run into the same type of issue - taking into accordance of course that each plant would still be given it's own cone. Or there about...

Thanks for the info and sorry to detract...

dank.Frank
Hey Frank....No detractions over here cuz Bobbles is always up for input in a positive manner....that said....

ALL my Old Head Caregivers on the left coast that I`ve talked into Blumats over the last few yrs except a few that`re greedy like I was are runnin straight R/O through their reg blumats for smaller plants and maxi`s for the bigger one`s in their own specific organic blend , and stay pissed off cuz they don`t know what ta do with their OCD asses cuz the plants are all but growin themselves......but....

They`re adapting to the new found freedom and actually detached from their grows for the first time in many many yrs.....and .....they like it....now.....

Coco with Blumats takes monitoring even moreso cuz it`s a more porous by nature medium and less compacted /dense than soil , but once the sweet spot`s found the plants explode in the rootzone that relates above ground in as close to hydro growth as I`ve seen from a setup......

I ran DTW coco and once the right medium mixture is dialed it`s stand back and watch the plants perform if yas give em perfect environment and proper watts per sq ft....

Thanks for stoppin by Frank...Take care and....

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

bobblehead

Veteran
Yeah freds i've gotta pay more attention to the rules.... I get it. Frank, i'm not abandoning blumats. My buds could be burning rough b/c of the aphids messing with my roots... It's been rough all around... And i just want to quit making mistakes. I have these Chem d ready to flip and i just wanna do it right. I'm gonna hook them up to blumats... Idk I'll show you guys what i decided to do when i'm back. I don't have money for a cycle timer right now anyway.... And i need to do a safe tree grow that will guarantee a good harvest to pay my bills. I've really been screwing the pooch lately.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
bobbles

I say ya bust out the old-school overhead SOG-mode, crank out some sure-fire harveys, and in the meantime, tinker with the higher-efficiency model :)

Nobody here will think less of you for hanging a reflector.. ;)

Bird in the hand = something more than bushes and other birds

D

DHF

bobbles

I say ya bust out the old-school overhead SOG-mode, crank out some sure-fire harveys, and in the meantime, tinker with the higher-efficiency model :)

Nobody here will think less of you for hanging a reflector.. ;)

Bird in the hand = something more than bushes and other birds
Whatever it takes fer yas ta get out this slump and OVERTAKE is what`s needed , but life get`s in the way......and....

Takin care of yer moms after surgery as well as sis`s weddin I wasn`t aware of just shows more and more character reference yas got in my book cuz family`s EVERYTHING , and dealin with the real world comes first before grow shit even if it fucks with yields/returns ...

There`s always tomorrow...Handle it...and...whatever setup`s easiest and return worthy `s what it takes ta pay the bills to either continue or throw in the towel........Adapt or perish.....

You know what ta do ....Freds....:ying:

Last edited:

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
I'm 1400 miles away from 4 different blumat setups. (2) 5 gallon, 18 plant , 3K setups(flip flopped), (1) 3 gallon smart pot, 16 plant, multi-strain, 1K, and (1) 14 plant, 3 gallon smart pot vert, 600w. (1) 35 gallon Brute per setup. Easy peasy.

Been gone for 5 days now. Gro bro is checking up on setups at the larger rooms, has not had to do a thing. Got peeps living at the smaller setups, only thing her has had to do is water my coco clones, blumats are doing their thing. Ain't back till Sat, and still over 15 gallons in the brutes. No worrys........

I set up the last system for flower(don't have enough blumats/rez'z/Brutes for veg) a day before I left. Soaked the pots, dialed to a cling, -2. PERFECT. Oh yeah, all in pro-mix + 1 c lime per c ft.

And bobbles, just gotta get those veg plants perfect....... Much happier transition if they are happy going into flower. Maybe have a veg room closer to home? Good luck with this summer heat. I got a 30K btu's cooling all these rooms, lol. Gotta do what's we gotta do, right?

Freds, sage advice like always.

Off to the beach. White sands, long trail and jet skis.

RBDF

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bobbles sending you positive thoughts and energy your way bro...god knows I've almost died twice in the last 18 months..been broke more often than had money....I just keep moving....that's all I know...so it's all I can offer you.

Just keep moving forward ..you WILL succeed!

D

DHF

Bobbles sending you positive thoughts and energy your way bro...god knows I've almost died twice in the last 18 months..been broke more often than had money....I just keep moving....that's all I know...so it's all I can offer you.

Just keep moving forward ..you WILL succeed!
Life`s short...The path yas take determines the outcome.....Bobbles is a winner to the exteme cuz knowledge is power and he`s there......

I`m just proud Bobbles is around......Makes me know where things are headed in the future by the young turks.......

Peace....Freds....:ying:.....

G

greenmatter

keep your head up bobble!!!!

you are the one guy around here who i can honestly say keeps pulling and trying to improve no matter what is going on around him. that takes it's toll in the long run brudda

take a half step back, regroup and come back swingin'

the one thing i know from reading your threads is that no matter what happens you are good at landing on your feet! ......... keep that in mind man, you will do fine

Hazed

These guys are right!

These guys are right!

Bobble you are gonna get things rollin soon. Ive probably read almost everything you have posted in this forum and I can see you got heart, and definately the potential to kick ass!

A little constructive critisism. ( My perspective and whats worked for me)

When in doubt, sleep with the bitches if you have to!

Do what you know first and work on the finer points second.

When in doubt, do everything the bitches need to keep growin at a fast pace and deal with the doubts later. Those doubts are an important part of the process as long as you dont let them get the best of ya.

You have taken on a big project here, and IMO you probably are under rating your achievments, but we all see your accomplishments!
You bit off a big chunk and it just takes more time to see a pay off, but you will get there!

Throw up a light and get a SOG, or a perpetual flat room going and bitches lined up at the door to ease the cash burden, and hell ya grow some trees then you will have massive clone material and a sweet assed crop lined out for later.
When I found out I had to move, I just started throwin a few plants at a time into a bloom room, and now I am glad I did.
Just hauled a van full of bitches from a perpetual 12/12 room to my new home tonight, and will spend half of the 4th making sure they are comfy!
So as Capt Prickhard would say, "make it so":biggrin:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:yeahthats

We're all pulling for you bobbles - if he can't do it, noone can! :woohoo:

Any help I can lend, just lemme know dude! I can't imagine my moral-support-only goes too far in luggin' and setting up and shit. :)