What's new

Blumat auto watering

rrog

Veteran
Glad that's working Sunnydog. You used the BM pressure reducer? There are less expensive ones, but ya never know...

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Pressure

Pressure

The pressure you get is incredible. When I open a B/M screw all the way,the jet will shoot probably like 2ft.:yoinks:

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
My new Blumat setup. Upgraded from the Juniors since I no longer do stealth. Here you can see the room with the 27 Gal container, perfect for this kind of thing. It looks like it was made for hydro work, like a drain table or rez.

Here is a 100 GPH pump split up into 2, one side with an air stone directly under the "through hull" fitting, to keep particles mixed before entering the "system". The other side utilizes "air lift" technique's to circulate/agitate the rez, while breaking surface tension. You can see the two opposing sources of air and mixing. Also, there is mosquito dunks and nematode infested vermiculite in the rez.

Happy girls with the new Tropf Blumats and hopefully no more worries when traveling for extended periods of time.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good to see you came over to the "big" blumats, BB88. I use both and find them to be much more versatile than the Jr's. Couple of things - that stand for your reservoir looks a little puny for a 200lb load, and I have had better results after moving my reservoir up higher to get more head pressure. Good luck.

rrog

Veteran
Lookin' good '88

Sunny, do you have any backup plan if you were to get runoff with the hose? Like a sensor that would shut off the water?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High pressure is still working OK? Didn't you have a runoff after moving the res higher?

I've had runaways with both placements, but I think it is better with the higher elevation. I am about to build another spacer block for my reservoir to get it up even higher. If you use the BM pressure reducer as a guide line, you would have to have the reservoir about 30' above the blumats (if I recall correctly, it is set for about 15 psi. You only get .433 psi per foot of head).

rrog

Veteran
I had understood that the pressure from the BM reducer was high, but didn't realize it was THAT high

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just chased down some of the info on the pressure reducer. Blumat actually offers two of them, one is set at one bar and the other is 1.3 bar. 1bar = 14.5psi. In their literature for running out of a reservoir, they stipulate a minimum of .5 meter head elevation (@ 20") per 5 meters (16.5') of hose attached. I've never seen anything about which hose size they are talking about, but the frictional losses through the 3mm hose has to be higher than hell, and I know most of us throw away the short 3mm hose that they provide and use longer ones.

*edit* Links -
Pressure reducer - http://blumat.pl/product_info.php/i....html/XTCsid/2d767390c2726990b544c4c91821cb58
Pressure reducer - http://blumat.pl/product_info.php/i....html/XTCsid/2d767390c2726990b544c4c91821cb58
Literature - http://www.blumat.at/blumat_pdfs/operating_instructions.pdf
These guys say to run a minimum of .5 bar (7.25psi), but I don't know where they got that - http://www.allotment.org.uk/greenhouse/Garden_Hosepipe_Water/garden-691.html

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
the pressure reducer reduces the pressure to 1 bar or 14.5 psi. this is considered MAXIMUM operating pressure for the blumats. it was designed to compensate for a loss in pressure while raising the water (ie your hose spigot is 2 feet off the ground, but your balcony plants are 4 feet above the ground, so your water must travel 2 feet vertically).

they make a 1.3 bar reducer also (not available in the states AFAIK) that is for applications where the spigot is in your basement or a story below your plants, and the water must travel a relatively large vertical distance to reach the distributors.

edit: rives you're always beating me to it! lol :D

rrog

Veteran
Man! What great info! I'm still considering hooking up a BM system to my RO water system. The water pump I have to increase the pressure through the RO would ensure pressure and volume on that side of the BM pressure reducer.

I just am worried about a flood. No res to run dry when connected to a hose...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could run a solenoid valve on your supply line and interlock it to a water sensor. Also, the sensor could drive a relay which would shut off your booster pump if that works better for your application.

*edit* There are lots of ready-made units with larger valves, like you would want for a washing machine or water heater, but this one would be adequately sized for a RO supply - http://www.amazon.com/FloodStop-Floodstop-Makers-Filters-Detection/dp/B000GF0QAI/ref=pd_sim_e_4

rrog

Veteran
40 PSI. As long as I don't lose pressure in the connection transition. Is that possible I wonder?

Looking at different emergency shutoff valves. Not cheap

EDIT: Just saw your post Rives. $100 is cheap enough. I guess I'll pull the trigger and get the shutoff and blumats. Going with the max carrots. Probably one distributor also. Using 7 (liquid) gallon pails, so I could use the second drip on the pail I assume.

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Is Sustainable Village an OK place to buy? I recall some less than encouraging commentary about them. Way To Grow is another option, but they're more pricey

Current Shopping List:

6 Max Carrots
10-pack of distributors
1 roll of 3mm tube
1 pressure reducer
6 shutoff valves

All Blumat brand

I'll get Tees from Kent
Wondering about the Watts quick release. Is there a way to incorporate a shutoff and quick release together?

I have a lot of 1/2" pipe for supplies.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Is Sustainable Village an OK place to buy? I recall some less than encouraging commentary about them. Way To Grow is another option, but they're more pricey

Current Shopping List:

6 Max Carrots
10-pack of distributors
1 roll of 3mm tube
1 pressure reducer
6 shutoff valves

All Blumat brand

I'll get Tees from Kent
Wondering about the Watts quick release. Is there a way to incorporate a shutoff and quick release together?

I have a lot of 1/2" pipe for supplies.

Am I missing anything?

Just remember you need to use TWO distributors to gain an extra drip site..........

rrog

Veteran
Ah..... OK so I'll get a couple of 10-packs. They're not a lot. Thanks for looking at my shopping list Sunny!

rrog

Veteran
Sunny, any thoughts on the shutoff / quick connect per plant? Seems like a good idea. I can use the Watts Quick Connect in conjunction with the BM shutoff, but man, that seems like a lot of plumbing per plant. I was hoping Watts or Kent had an all-in-one component, but I'm not finding they do.

Latest posts

Latest posts