What's new

Blumat auto watering

A

ak-51

I use a 5gal bucket as a res for 9 plants but I'm thinking of upping that because they seem to go through that in a day almost lately.
There was a really good setup several pages back which detailed an upper res and lower res, the lower one had a pump which constantly refilled the upper one. This way there was a consistent level of pressure on the lines. I followed that method and made mine with a 5 gallon bucket elevated and a 14 gallon on the floor. In the post I am referring to I think the dude had a pump running all the time to constantly cycle the nutes. I used a cycle timer to refill things because I couldn't get the bucket to drain as fast as it was filling up.

Here's the post by Rootz.

rrog

Veteran
This way there was a consistent level of pressure on the lines.

Here's the post by Rootz.

How did the constant pressure work out? That's what I'm hoping I'll see with a hose feed, rather than gravity. I've been worrying about a hard (well) water buildup in the lines. Seems these blumat lines are prone to that.

My current RO system has an electric pump to increase pressure and a 5 gallon tank. This added pressure over my well pump pressure provides greater filter efficiency.

So I guess I could use the RO water system pressure, then stepped down to a constant, presumably ideal pressure from the BM regulator to drive the Blumats. I'm using amended organic soil, so no nutes at all. So I could just use RO water and have the CalMag+ either be added manually once a week or mixed in the soil in a dry slow release form.

Any thoughts on that from anyone?

A

ak-51

For me having the lines at a constant pressure worked out well. That was my first run with the blumats so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I imagine in a system with just one res, as the res gets lower the pressure would drop as well, leading the blumats to act differently. Since they adjust themselves they'd probably be able to handle pressure swings, but still I think it's best to keep things relatively even throughout a run.

Your potential setup sounds really good.

In my book, the cleaner the water that moves through the blumat system, the better they should function. While I had to rig up things to keep the nutes stirred up, you shouldn't have to worry about that at all.

Near the end I had stepped down the levels of additives that I was mixing in, just trying to keep the ppm's low to keep the system running nice and clean. I flushed the lines every 2 or 3 days to keep them somewhat fresh.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Sunny, what are you doing for flooding precautions?

I have them in regular black garden trays at the moment, plastic on the floor. Concrete slab, so not such a big deal, just a potential PITA.

I have a theory on this; Seems floods are possibly(likely) caused by the silicone (3mm) drip line getting pinched and staying that way. This in turn allows the soil to dry out, sucks water from the carrot and shit gets all fucked up. :help:

So... the B/M pressure reducer puts out a good bit more pressure/ volume, much more than most passive systems. This could be why peeps like Lazyman :wave:,using really large resos, appear to suffer less than folks using smaller systems.
If the above is an accurate "failure scenario" I expect to see a decrease or complete elimination of this troubling aspect of an otherwise perfect device.

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Such great information... Thanks for being so dedicated with this.

I'd like to be able to leave for several days at a time, so the thought of an auto-shutoff valve and water sensors is appealing.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Such great information... Thanks for being so dedicated with this.

I'd like to be able to leave for several days at a time, so the thought of an auto-shutoff valve and water sensors is appealing.

If it was only a convenience issue, I might not care as much. However, B/M watered plants are much happier.:ying:
I believe this to be pretty well documented in this thread.

rrog

Veteran
I'm excited to run with it. Just needing to see if I should use the max carrot for a 7 (liquid) gallon pail. Or a max + distributor, etc. 12" diameter top soil surface

rrog

Veteran
I'm tempted to use one Max carrot per pail and maybe 1 distributor. Based on what I've read. MadL is using Max carrots, I think

Herborizer

Veteran
Blumats in coco, canna coco a/b nutes, drip clean, and smartpots.

No runoff, no flushing, no fuss. Just the most amazing plants and very little work.

Herborizer

Veteran
I believe the secret to not getting the runaways, is to make sure you are dripping to the point of 1-5% runoff for the first week. Then back it off to no runoff, but right on the edge of runoff. It's better to have 1-3% runoff the whole time than have a runaway.

It sounds like consistent water levels are really beneficial in smaller systems. Seems like lots of people are utilizing 2 reservoirs to manage this... using a larger reservoir that's lower to ground with a pump up to a higher, smaller reservoir that has either a float shut off valve or some drain valves.

What kind of pump is recommended to use in this type of situation?

Latest posts

Latest posts