What's new

Blumat auto watering

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We rockin now!
Still trying to get a few distributors hooked up and dialed in, but the water is running up in here. Straight water, with weekly top dressings and hand waterings
[/FONT].
I also took Rives advice and moved the perlite out of the way, and stuffed the hole with dirt a few times to ensure a good seal with the cone.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

picture.php

:tiphat:
[/FONT]

SecondAttempt

You're everywhere I go on here Marlo... looks good.

I'm officially Blumatting as well... about three weeks in running Jack's and Cal-Nit in Coco. Growth is killer, ease of operation is the best out of everything I've tried so far. Time will tell, it's still early but I'm enjoying them so far.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Welcome to blumats SecondAttempt. Its a real surprise to find out your plants can actually grow faster and better once you start using the blumats. Its like our simple super secret weapon to fast vigorous growth.

I wonder if anyone from a hydro background has tried Blumats and what their thoughts are? How does the rate of growth compare? Not that Ill ever go hydro. Im too in love with my blumats, but Ive always wondered about the difference in growth between the two different methods.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dave I'd say hydro is getting faster growth...
I was using blumtas a long time and would say I had their use dialled in.
I set everything up and usually never had to make any changes modifications throughout the grows...

Now I tried ebb& flow ( the same smartpots& coco I used with the blumats now on a flood table) and I have to say the daily drench is giving me faster growth.
but I use much much more nute solution and have to check a couple things every few days.
I miss the set& forget of my blumats a bit, but that's ok. right now i have the time and the faster growth makes up for it...
Just my 5cts...

cheers,
cc

sanjuan

can I bang some h202 in my res with the blumats?
I prefer a little sodium hypochlorite (bleach). Do you have a specific problem in the res?

See my two posts on this page: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6455509#post6455509

I now check total chlorine with a colorimeter and use less bleach--about 0.75ml per day in four gallons (using plain 8.25% Clorox). Calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) would probably be even better but it is so concentrated that I haven't had the urge to try it yet.

phlevels

Digital soil test meters?

Digital soil test meters?

Does anyone know if there is a meter that can pass along readings in a digital format? Or is everything out there analog for the most part?

Ideally this would work in indoor gardens as well.

Thank you.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup... me too.
No meters necessary. I just look at my soil, and check if the plants are happy.

jav2043

Looking to add blumats to my set up. Have skimmed through most of this thread buts it's lots to take in so excuse me if someone asked the same question. Growing in 5 gal smart pots using promix about 50 plants and wondering if I need to spend the money for a pressurized system or can I set up gravity feed from my 55 gallon reservoir to something smaller? Will be switching over to coco using smaller pots in the near future as well adding more blumats to same system. Will that effect presussure vs gravity feed? Thanks in advance

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Looking to add blumats to my set up. Have skimmed through most of this thread buts it's lots to take in so excuse me if someone asked the same question. Growing in 5 gal smart pots using promix about 50 plants and wondering if I need to spend the money for a pressurized system or can I set up gravity feed from my 55 gallon reservoir to something smaller? Will be switching over to coco using smaller pots in the near future as well adding more blumats to same system. Will that effect presussure vs gravity feed? Thanks in advance

As long as you heed the "res should be 1 foot above your plants for every 10 feet of line" rule, you will be fine.

To avoid lack of pressure or having to keep my rez on top of my roof, I have several lines coming out of the rez instead of just one.

B

BB420

so I have been running the blumats for ages now my res is really clear but when they are dripping the water that drips looks a bit cloudy what can I do thank you blumaters

Dave Coulier

Veteran
so I have been running the blumats for ages now my res is really clear but when they are dripping the water that drips looks a bit cloudy what can I do thank you blumaters

Are you running any nutes in your res or just water? Any bleach in your res?

To check for any bio-film buildup squeeze the drip line and pull towards the end. If anything comes out other than water, thats your culprit.

sanjuan

I have a shutoff valve at the end of the line where I drain a cup of nute solution most days. I also keep about 2 to 3ppm of total chlorine in the res, measured with a colorimeter. White mold "boogers" were clogging the 3mm lines before I started using bleach.

Note: the EPA approved free chlorine test strips (ITS) don't work in a nute solution--the nitrates must interfere with the blue indicator dye and they always read zero Cl.

jav2043

As long as you heed the "res should be 1 foot above your plants for every 10 feet of line" rule, you will be fine.

To avoid lack of pressure or having to keep my rez on top of my roof, I have several lines coming out of the rez instead of just one.

That's interesting will have to look into this setup. Have any pics? I really don't wanna have to spend $800 on their 50 plant pressurized system if I don't have to. I already own a small pump that could feed the small elevated reservior from my 55 gallon barrel. Thanks lapides

Latest posts

Latest posts