What's new

Blumat auto watering

wisco61

Silica blast, Rock resinator, Floralicious +

Its the Floralicious +, and maybe the Rock resinator, I don't know what that snake oil is. Stick to things with the consistency of water, anything that is at all syrupy will clog the 3mm lines.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
So my blumats have been running for a month... 10gal pots with 2 blumats per pot. So far Ive had 1 "Runaway" And a few that randomly just stop dripping... When i try to adjust sometimes even if open all the way they won't drip. These are a headache for me... -.-

How long are your 3mm lines? Don't use much more than needed.
How high is your res?
Don,t use anything gunky, or will likely become gunky,or produce sediment.

I now have ~56 running, had about 4 slight over-adjustments in the first week. Had to add some to most, 'bout a quarter arrow, usually.

I use the pressure regulator, it is AWESOME!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
sunnydog

I received an email from Sustainable Village and here's the text:

Since you've ordered Blumats from us in the past, I thought you'd appreciate this new mini-catalog and design guide. I'm also attaching a list that includes many new products.

Since Blumats are made in Austria, all the tubing and fittings are metric and it's very difficult to connect them to the systems we have here. Recently though, we've found new components that make it easy to do that.

The outdoor/greenhouse Blumats are like an expensive, computerized water timing system... and though a fraction of the cost, they actually work much better because each individual plant is monitored. While some plants are bigger, some slowing down their growth cycle, some speeding it up, each gets just the optimum amount of water - not too little or too much.

With the new indoor Blumat components, a true drip irrigation system for houseplants is now possible.

Please let us know if you have a questions or design challenge. We've been importing Blumats for over 30 years now and can most likely help!

Here are the links to the PDF 'catalogs' they included in the email:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzRnS-81YHHwNGtTVkFTTW0wUVk/edit

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzRnS-81YHHwTnYyX0xpY2huWEk/edit

HTH

CC

wiesser

I'm so used to waiting for the plants to tell me when they need water, i.e. drooping leaves. Now that the blumats are watering consistently, I'm not sure what to look for now. I just adjusted two arrows back when I first installed them about 2 weeks ago now. So far everything is looking really good. They all look happy as far as I can tell. Do you look at your plants for any signs when you are trying to dial in the blumats?

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I'm so used to waiting for the plants to tell me when they need water, i.e. drooping leaves. Now that the blumats are watering consistently, I'm not sure what to look for now. I just adjusted two arrows back when I first installed them about 2 weeks ago now. So far everything is looking really good. They all look happy as far as I can tell. Do you look at your plants for any signs when you are trying to dial in the blumats?

Pot weight. Heavy pot without puddling.
If you wait till plants are drooping, you have waited much too long.
This damages the roots.
When I look in my 'crystal ball" lol, I see you having major improvements in yield and over-all health.

Feel free to ask any well thought out questions you need an answer to. If I am not around , or have no experience in a stated issue, I am sure many other kind folks here will bee happy to help.

BTW, if I may ask, how are your current yields?

wiesser

Pot weight. Heavy pot without puddling.
If you wait till plants are drooping, you have waited much too long.
This damages the roots.
When I look in my 'crystal ball" lol, I see you having major improvements in yield and over-all health.

Feel free to ask any well thought out questions you need an answer to. If I am not around , or have no experience in a stated issue, I am sure many other kind folks here will bee happy to help.

BTW, if I may ask, how are your current yields?
When I was talking about waiting for the plants to droop a little bit, I was referring to the old days when I was just hand watering. My plants have not drooped at all since I started using the blumats, they are looking great! I'm really just looking for some more insight, how to fine tune the blumats. I will check pot weight tonight when lights come on, see if I can find anything notable.

I also see major improvements coming my way, just upgraded my room after about three years of so-so results. Added a light mover, co2 enrichment, bigger pot size, blumats, using scrog method now, and I upgraded my lighting, using 4 1000w dual element lamps. Only growing 12 now opposed to 24 at a time, bigger plants, bigger roots, bigger nugs. I've really changed everything about my growing, including my attitude towards my plants, how I look at them, how I communicate with them. Everything is different this time around, it's blowing my mind!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
sunnydog

In the first link there is a product "8mm -> 8mm Quick Release Connector" and I wondered if this one of the new products he mentions in the email or has that one been around awhile?

He also has another company that has some interesting products that includes irrigation products: www.greenchinadirect.com

CC

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
sunnydog

In the first link there is a product "8mm -> 8mm Quick Release Connector" and I wondered if this one of the new products he mentions in the email or has that one been around awhile?

He also has another company that has some interesting products that includes irrigation products: www.greenchinadirect.com

CC

I don't know.....I get by on an uber basic (standard B/M parts) setup.
Really cool stuff there though!
First grow space I don't have to constantly fuck with ! ( So I don't :D )

A

ak-51

How are you guys controlling fungus gnats?

Can mosquito dunks be put whole into the reservoir without gunking up the lines? I am very happy just running clean base nutrients through my lines and I am very reluctant to add anything else. I'm ready to make this one exception though.

Right now I am doing spray rounds of BTI and Azamax, and I have some sticky traps in there too. I think a continuous dose of BTI would do it. My current spray method is not very good. It needs to be done continually and I have a feeling the spray does not do a very even job.

It seems like 99% rubbing alcohol will kill them on contact, so I was trying to hit the fliers with that. My thoughts on that is that the alcohol will evaporate before it has a chance to harm anything but the bugs, and it's not like I'm drenching the medium in it or anything. I am only using the rubbing alcohol below the canopy.

Is there a better contact-killer for wiping out fliers? Maybe some kind of pyrethrin product? Ideally something I can just blast a fog or mist between the underside of the canopy and the medium and kill all the adults.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I've found that once the beneficial Micro's get well enough established the fungus gnat population plummets.

They're still there, just not in any real noticeable force.

T

TribalSeeds

You can get some gognats if you wanna fuck those bastards up.
Ive hand watered that shit in while my blumats were connected.
It also makes a hell of a spray.
Smells like cedar
You can also keep the mosquito dunks on top. The coco should stay moist enough.

LeeROI

sunnydog

CC

I'm quite sure Sustainable is reselling some Kent Systems fittings.
picture.php

T

TribalSeeds

You just place them directly on top of the coco? How close to the drip line?

I break it up into fine pieces and spread it over the top of the pots every now and then. When I do a hand water Ill break some up into my bucket and let that go onto the pot.
As long as its in the moist coco it doesnt matter. When it gets moist it kinda just melts into the coco. Besides there shouldnt be any living larvae in any dry spots.
That being said, the dunks werent a cure when I had them on top of my coco and in my res. I still use them though because I have nightmares ever since a bad gnat outbreak. I even break some up into my new coco when I wash it.

G

greenmatter

i know it is just another BT product, but i have run this stuff .......http://www.webbsonline.com/Item/Mic...ontrol-56302?gclid=CKa00OvRobcCFfE7MgodPV8AyA ..... through the blumats without any clogging and it seems like it does a better job than Gnatrol ............ and no i don't understand why it would because the labels read pretty much the same, but it worked for me

neem seed tea seems to work great on the little bastards too, but i've only tried it in dirt

gognats makes the grow room smell a little like a pine sol ......... it works but i hate the smell

Last edited:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
RE: Gnats

I mix my soil from scratch and the humus component (33%) is vermicompost from my worm bins so I'm starting with a potting soil that is far superior to the bagged products found at grow stores. Quality vermicompost provides both insect as well as disease suppression. That is buttressed by adding 1/2 cup of neem meal and 1/2 of crab meal to each cubic foot of mixed soil.

Crab shells are made of the mineral compound Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) - same as Calcite Lime (aka Agricultural Lime), Limestone (but not dolomite lime) and oyster shell powder, et al. Lobster shells, crab shells & shrimp shells (only) also contain Chitin and bacterial action on this compound produces an enzyme, Chitinase, which is the basis of a commercial product called Chitosan.

This enzyme destroys the integrity of the eggs preventing development of the larva. This enzyme is found in many food items and it also is found in sprouted seeds. So using sprouted seed teas will give you additional Chitinase levels as well as the following enzymes: Amylase, Arylsulphatase, β-glucosidase, Cellulase, Dehydrogenase, Phosphatase, Protease, and Urease. The ones in bold are probably the most interesting to gardeners.

HTH

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I'm quite sure Sustainable is reselling some Kent Systems fittings.

I stumbled on Kent's web site a couple of years ago and failed to bookmark it. Later when I tried to find 'the company with the kewl connectors' I failed and finally gave up.

Thanks! Another riddle solved!

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts