What's new

Blumat auto watering

A

ak-51

Lately my procedure for installing the blumats has ended with me packing the coco extra tight around them. I'll put them in and then squeeze the coco tightly towards the carrot, then add more coco on top to make up for the coco I compressed.

rrog

Veteran
Whether the BM carrots or my Tensiometers, I always "water them" in to seat the medium snugly around the components.

A

ak-51

Whether the BM carrots or my Tensiometers, I always "water them" in to seat the medium snugly around the components.
I'll be trying that next time. Thanks for the tip!

Many thanks again, all. I will go with 100% coco, and with drippers.
Note that I am testing it. I have not experienced any problems yet from poor drainage, but that doesn't mean it's not possible to. I do think somebody else either in this thread or in the coco forum said they just used 100% coco with no ill effects, which is where I got the idea to try it.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I'm a lazy fuck!

I'm a lazy fuck!

Pressure reducer is the best thing yet. This last grow I have only checked them~4 times. Really. They are verticle with tomato cages.
I check couple days after set up, couple days after that to see how any adjustments are working out, 2 more times since then, just for some basic gardening-positioning. Looking to pull 'em down in about 14days. I'll check one time before that, in a day or so.
Three gallon pots, all organic, no minimal till, add the organic nutes once and forget about it. Best ,happiest plants in over 30yrs.!
Strains; DG-LUI13 and Res Double Strawberry Diesel.

A

ak-51

I use 100% coco and have no problems what-so-ever.
What kind of containers are you using?

I use 2 gallon square dura-pots. They only have 4 holes in the bottom, I think maybe next time I get a chance I'm going to drill extra holes in the bottom.

GuFF

Pressure reducer is the best thing yet. This last grow I have only checked them~4 times. Really. They are verticle with tomato cages.
I check couple days after set up, couple days after that to see how any adjustments are working out, 2 more times since then, just for some basic gardening-positioning. Looking to pull 'em down in about 14days. I'll check one time before that, in a day or so.
Three gallon pots, all organic, no minimal till, add the organic nutes once and forget about it. Best ,happiest plants in over 30yrs.!
Strains; DG-LUI13 and Res Double Strawberry Diesel.

Mind sharing your soil recipe/amendments?

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Mind sharing your soil recipe/amendments?

I know that was directed to sunnydog, but I can tell you what I use and works GREAT with the blumats.

I use LC's mix (5parts peat:3parts perlite:2 parts ewc with 2 tblsps of lime per gallon of mix) with 2 tblsp of bone meal, 1 tblsp blood, 1 tblsp kelp, 1 tblsp greensand, and 1 tblsp of espoma's biotone super starter plus per gallon of mix.

PERFECT plants with just water. If you want, add a little molasses every now and again to the rez to get the bacteria really excited.

SOOO easy. And I have a 170 gallon compost tumbler coming at the end of this month to make mixing my dirt even easier.

GuFF

I know that was directed to sunnydog, but I can tell you what I use and works GREAT with the blumats.

I use LC's mix (5parts peat:3parts perlite:2 parts ewc with 2 tblsps of lime per gallon of mix) with 2 tblsp of bone meal, 1 tblsp blood, 1 tblsp kelp, 1 tblsp greensand, and 1 tblsp of espoma's biotone super starter plus per gallon of mix.

PERFECT plants with just water. If you want, add a little molasses every now and again to the rez to get the bacteria really excited.

SOOO easy. And I have a 170 gallon compost tumbler coming at the end of this month to make mixing my dirt even easier.

What kind of lime? Dolomite?
I use natural&organic black gold with rice hulls and calcium sulfate because it has no lime and my water's alkalinity is about 190 ppm CaCO3 equivalent.

I wonder if the lime in that mix combined w my highly alkaline water would be ok. Considering its organic I would assume so.

rrog

Veteran
What I do is to dig a little well under each dripper. That will tend to flush the materials down. I also use drenches and teas

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
How often do you reamend? And how is that done with a no-till (assuming you practice a no-till)

I mix new dirt for flowering with every run. At my current stage, I'm too afraid of adding too much or too little to re-use any of it to flower my girls.

My dirt does get re-used for veg though.

But with that recipe, you don't have to add anything throughout the flowering cycle at all. I've grown about 15 different strains, from bubbas to hazes, and they all love it.

rrog

Veteran
If you look into it, you'll find that recycling soil, especially no-till, is much better on all counts compared to throwing away soil...

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
If you look into it, you'll find that recycling soil, especially no-till, is much better on all counts compared to throwing away soil...

My soil is about 7 years old. I would never throw soil away.
Even easier with "low till".:blowbubbles:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Here here. I'm approaching 2 years on everything, I reckon, and it's gravy. I re-amend, pretty sparingly, between runs.

Buy more? Ha! Hell, I have to make sure the wife doesn't take it to put the flowers in!