What's new

Blueberry x Afghani 1K Trees

tintala

waterfarm are you using any airstones? I was told to use airstones in BOTH res, and 2 in each bucket...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hey Tintala. I only have airstones in the controller and return tub right now. I will be adding an airstone to each bucket in a week or so. I will be removing a few males and adjusting the buckets then as well.

The roots are just starting to come out of the bottom of the top bucket. I think the airstones help once the roots grow down in the solution.

D

Don Cotyle

WFF, Nice clean setup man! They look real healthy!!! I love tree grows, big plants=big yeild...way to go!!! I guess your sexing now and your gonna go back to veg for size. That should give you plenty of time to clone a few and replace the males.

Heres a shot of my last "tree", I did a dual grow a 70 day Orange Diesel and a 120+ day Sam the Skunkmans-Oldschool Thai Haze x Skunk #1. I had the sativa tied up in the corner till I harvested the OD and turned her(2 plants) loose. I even had to drop her 2' down to the bottom of the rez tank cause she hit the cealing at 50 days and did some self LSTing...lol...to get some more headroom!

Here she is tied up. 2 plants

and turned loose and at 100 days flowering!!!

I've only got a 3'x3'x8' closet! Hope you don't mind the pick I posted!
I'll pull up a chair and stay for your grow show :lurk:

:headbange Don

Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Update

Well I have good news - 7 out of 11 Females!!! :headbange

Here are some pics before I pulled out the males:

It is hard to kill perfect plants, but the males had to go.

Here are some pics of the 7 lovely ladies that finish out the grow. The plants average 10-14 inches right now. I am going to veg until they are about 24 inches tall - That should make some nice 5-6 foot indica trees!!!

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
SuperLarry - Thanks for your comments and dropping by.

Don Cotyle - Hey man. Trees do equal big yields. These babies are 7 1/2 weeks from seed and showed sex on their own. They have been on 24/0 under the 1K MH for two weeks now.

See what a difference two weeks in the waterfarms drinking up the 1k love:

D

Don Cotyle

Damn!!! Thats what I love about Hydro they'll grow way faster than soil!!! Man I need more room!!! Mabey when I move I'll have a small room for my self say 8'x10' , split the back 3' into 2 sections for a mother room and a veg chamber!!! Just wishfull thinking right now!

WaterFarmFan said:
Update

Well I have good news - 7 out of 11 Females!!! :headbange

Here are some pics before I pulled out the males:
It is hard to kill perfect plants, but the males had to go.

Here are some pics of the 7 lovely ladies that finish out the grow. The plants average 10-14 inches right now. I am going to veg until they are about 24 inches tall - That should make some nice 5-6 foot indica trees!!!

Heya WFF! Looking forward to your results. Most plants only double in height during flowering. If you expect 5-6 foot plants, I recommend you grow them in vegetative state to 30-36 inches so you are more likely to hit the the 5-6 foot mark.

Something else to consider: Do a grow to make seeds. It can be a small, 1-3 foot tall grow. I did one a year ago and harvested over 2000 seeds. Kept properly (in a cool, dry, airtight container), the seeds should remain viable for several years. And you get a nominal amount of bud, too. :D

D

Don Cotyle

krustytheclown said:
Heya WFF! Looking forward to your results. Most plants only double in height during flowering. If you expect 5-6 foot plants, I recommend you grow them in vegetative state to 30-36 inches so you are more likely to hit the the 5-6 foot mark.

Something else to consider: Do a grow to make seeds. It can be a small, 1-3 foot tall grow. I did one a year ago and harvested over 2000 seeds. Kept properly (in a cool, dry, airtight container), the seeds should remain viable for several years. And you get a nominal amount of bud, too. :D

I beg to differ with your point krustytheclown. Almost allways when vegged to 12" you get at least 1, more like 2 weeks, additional veg time till sex shows. Now the plants are 15-17" tall when the streach starts and side branches start to alternate in node spaceing. I usually end up with plants 3 to 3 1/4 times larger then when they were put into flowering stage. So almost all my hybrid plants started from seed, flowered at 12" end up at around 3'9" to 4'5" This is with hybrid plants( sativa-indica) that are between 56-75 day flowering strains! This will also vary with supplied light, I'm running a 400w HPS lamp from start to finish in a 3'x3'x8' closet. I've usually found that indica strains 80%+ don't streach as much and longer flowering sativas strains 75%+ streach more in flowering(as much as 4-5 times). This is just from my personal experience, no offence ment!

Peace...Don!

Last edited:
Don Cotyle said:
I beg to differ with your point krustytheclown. Almost allways when vegged to 12" you get at least 1, more like 2 weeks, additional veg time till sex shows. Now the plants are 15-17" tall when the streach starts and side branches start to alternate in node spaceing. I usually end up with plants 3 to 3 1/4 times larger then when they were put into flowering stage. So almost all my hybrid plants started from seed, flowered at 12" end up at around 3'9" to 4'5" This is with hybrid plants( sativa-indica) that are between 56-75 day flowering strains! This will also vary with supplied light, I'm running a 400w HPS lamp from start to finish in a 3'x3'x8' closet. I've usually found that indica strains 80%+ don't streach as much and longer flowering sativas strains 75%+ streach more in flowering(as much as 4-5 times). This is just from my personal experience, no offence ment!

Peace...Don!

None taken! It is good to have several points of view here. That's how we learn. What kind of yield do you get with growing a tree under a 400W?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hey Don and Krusty. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your comments.

I think that it does vary by strain (indica vs. sativa), length of veg time (maturity) and conditioning (topping, super-cropping, etc.).

My first grow was Indica dominent White Widow and Orange Bud. I flowered between 18-24 inches and got 5-6 foot plants. My second grow was the Sativa Strawberry Haze, and I flowered at 20-24 and I got 6-7 foot plants.

I think that Don made a great point about veg time and alternating nodes. More veg time seems to cut down the strech, but growth in hydro can be explosive so it can be hard to veg for along time even with 8 foot ceilings.

I grow tree style and I do not top. I know people must top due to limited vertical space - but it just does not make sense to grow a tree and cut the top off. I employ a combination of supercropping and LST when the plants start get 4+ feet to maintain an even canopy. Once I figure where the canopy is going to end up, I try to make it as even as possible.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Update

Everything is looking really good in the garden. With 7 females and 8 buckets, I decided to add some Strawberry Haze clones that I had from my last grow. I added 3 ASH clones to the last bucket. I will only veg these a few weeks (12 inches) and they should be much shorter than the last grow.

Here are my current nutrients (per 1 gallon at ph 5.5):

12 ml Flora Grow
6 ml Flora Micro
3 ml Flora Bloom
30 ml Diamond Nectar
1 tsp Epsom Salt
5 ml H2O2

I will post some more photos in few days. :rasta:

Last edited:

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
WFfan! i got my thread going! all i need is to get a clone in her!! and off i go..can you answer some questions on my thread plz? its in my signature! nice work btw

D

Don Cotyle

krustytheclown said:
None taken! It is good to have several points of view here. That's how we learn. What kind of yield do you get with growing a tree under a 400W?

Well again it depends on the number of plants but I usually average 4-5 oz per plant with training, LST pinch and twist, bend em over and tie out the side branches then let en go to 12"-14". It lets alot more light into the lower areas of the plants and the popcorn buds get decent sized.

I've got a Burmese Dream going now just one, had an electrical fire and lost the rest at 2 weeks after germ. I sexed it and got a fem. I've had her trying to re-veg for 3 weeks now and no luck, so this one will stay on the small side!

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=87050 Here's my training technique!

WFF, WOW you'll be thru veg in no time with the nitrogen pumped up! You drop the N back 2-4 weeks after you flip to 12/12? I've been running Lucas Formula think I'll try boosting the N thru veg and the first few weeks of 12/12!

Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Hey Don. I want to start a thread to debate Lucas vs Non-Lucas. I know people here and everywhere swear by it, but I do exactly what GH advises (I only use GH nutes and additives). I have grown huge healthy plants everytime by following thier guidelines. It sure does not seem to hurt them... :smoke:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Update - 3 Weeks Veg In WaterFarms

It has now been 3 weeks since since I moved my Blueberry x Afghani plants to the WaterFarms under a 1K MH. They are 8 1/2 weeks from seed. As you can see the growth has been explosive.

The plants are now 16 inches tall and producing a ton of side shoots even without topping or fimming. There are going to be lots of fat colas on trees very soon. :rasta:

I plan to veg til they are 24 inches - so that means another 7-10 days before I switch out the bulb with a 1K Horilux HPS.

Now for the pics...

In the following shots of the garden, you can see the 7 BB x A females are really taking over:

I am amazed at how thick the stems are already. There are going to be some trunks in there when this is over.

I have 1 plant that is growing slower. I accidently cut some of the bottom roots when I transfered her. It has been a week and she is starting to rebound. She will blow up in the next week.

I also added 3 Arjan's Strawberry Haze clones that I had from my last grow to free bucket. It is amazing that these cuts where taken at the same time that I germinated the BB x A seeds. They did not get a lot of light and were kept in 16 oz cups. They will blow up very soon.

Finally, here are some shots of the roots from a plant.

Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I just edited the first post of this thread with my feed schedule for the grow. This is an Excel export that I am using to document my current grow.