What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue light at night the controversy rages

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
The larger the sample the closer the experiment would reflect a typical expierience.

Thanks for taking chances in the name of trying something new :)

Peace and pot,
Budelight

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
If you take two identical clones and grow them both together under the same conditions there is a reasonable chance that one will still perform better for some reason. So if you only have one plant each under your different lighting systems and the plant under the blue LED does better, there is still a reasonable chance that it was something other than the lighting. Maybe the under performer without the blue got it's roots twisted in transplant, or was a cut from a less vigorous branch.

Now if under each lighting system there were four plants, and all four under the blue lighting out performed the others, then the odds that it was some other factor are greatly reduced. A larger sample size helps reduce bias from random factors affecting individuals.

If these plants are being fed/watered from reservoirs, then ideally everybody should be supplied from a single reservoir. It would be good to take more clones than you need. Watch how they perform and select a group with similar traits.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I see... makes complete sense, I think for the sake of mitigating risk I will stick to two.
I think that all things considered like if I don't end up forcing the plant back to veg state the tell I will be lookung for is Node spacing. The subject may do better or not as well as the control, also likely not as much stretch, remains to be seen hee hee, I got my supplies in the mail, I just need some time to solder it all together. It will be interesting to say the least these 430nm LED's are in the ultraviolet spectrum, the do not stare at spectrum as I now call it.

Thanks for the input along the way people if this goes it will be great news.

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I have my parts I am now in the candidate selection process ;), I do not have alot of free time right now, but the project is still a priority.

I shall keep you posted

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Ok so heres some pics and an update

Ok so heres some pics and an update

I have come up with an idea to fix the 430nm LED's to this reflector (see picture), I soldered everything together but I have messed something up. I thought series would be the way to go, but after plugging it in I have voltage right up to the fixture and no LED Light :( this sucks for many reasons. This is my first time doing this and I am not sure if this should have been a series circuit or a paralell one, let me know your thougts.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Quick Update, I had a chance to trouble shoot, turns out I have power and all the parts work, the knob on Ebay is advertising these drivers will run 4 to 6 LED's, turns out they definately only run 4. Fuck that drives me nuts... Lesson learned, good thing is I still have some good LED's to work with on future projects. So what I have done, is simply removed two of the LED's and now everything fires. I am just reconfiguring the the location of the lights and tommorow I will solder everything in place, add a couple of timers and my CFL and this fixture will be test ready. Snap some Pics and away we go.

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Subject Selection process

Subject Selection process

I have some Ideas about the selection Criteria here they are and let me know what you think. I am wondering if Females and Males will react differently, so I am thinking it will be good to test a male and female clone from the same plants. Curious also if a pure Sativa, would react differently than a pure Indica. I have a Pure Sativa, and some pure Indica I got from a aquintance who just returned from abroad. The Last seeds I got from them were from the Nepali region and were all Indica, but 80% of them were individuals, maybe it would be better to pick something more stable? Interested to here the input. Also I was going to make some Fem seeds during the experiment to see what that outcome is as well.

I need more sleep, forgive the rambling.

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Good call, I got some supplies and I will be soldering today and some pics should be up later on today. I am getting stoked ;)

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Great Success

Great Success

Okay Blue Light folks, I managed to hotrod the driver a bit to get things going, (not sure how long the driver will last now) Hee hee...
Anyhow the 430nm LEDS are Effin bright... but they behave like a black light and are an intense light indeed, they are on a seperate circuit so as to allow independent timing. So I need some intelligent debate on how to set up the timers, when to have the Blue lights turn on and off, or stay on all the time etc... Here are some pics of the test light, pretty crude but it was a fun little build.

Check it out.

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Fuck yeah bro! Amazing job, thank you for sharing.

IM best setup for the LEDs would be to turn on an hour after lights off -to- an hour before lights on.

Rock on and good luck
BeL

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Fuck yeah bro! Amazing job, thank you for sharing.

IM best setup for the LEDs would be to turn on an hour after lights off -to- an hour before lights on.

Rock on and good luck
BeL

Glad you like it Bro!

Heh! Heh! I am kind proud of it myself.

When I have the control and the test subjects ready to go I shall let you know. :)

Peace

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the 2 simplest tests would be something like the blue light 24 hours and regular bloom lighting for 12.

Also I have read it takes perhaps two hours after lights out for plants to get into their night rhythm. In that case the blue light would come on for 10 hours after 12 lights on 2 hours lights off.

Pretty pumped, this should be interesting.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
So to make sure I understand correctly.

Tests:

1) Blue lights on 24 hours, bloom light 12/12

2) Blue lights turn on 2 hours after bloom lights shuts off, they stay on for 8 hours and then shut off 2 hours before the bloom llight turns on.

I think for now I will have to run the experiment bloom light 12/12 and blue light 16/8 my reasoning is that the control has no blue LED's on during it's photoperiod so it would not be an accurate representation, both plants should be treated identically except the test gets 10hours of blue during the Dark period.

Just a note about the blue 430nm light, this light is the same light the dentists use to cure your fillings, I am pretty sure it i high UV spectrum, So it will be interesting if the blue light would control pests and mould.

So I have been working on test subjects concurrently and hopefully will start the test at the latest 3 weeks at the earliest 1 week all depends on some factors.

Peace