What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue light at night the controversy rages

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
This would be natures way of dealing with the moonlight at full moon. I know at night around here when the full moon is unimpeded we get some really bright nights, this can't go un noticed by plants.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
One of the suppliers that does reef tanks suggested that the blue 430nm is considered a violet/purple LED, so he suggested Luxeon ES royal blue, as it is other spectrums crucial for photosynthesis, and has proven results in the field, as he has not provided any real data I am contacting the manufactuer for definate details and also perhaps for some help on the subject.

Will keep updated

S

SeaMaiden

One of the suppliers that does reef tanks suggested that the blue 430nm is considered a violet/purple LED, so he suggested Luxeon ES royal blue, as it is other spectrums crucial for photosynthesis, and has proven results in the field, as he has not provided any real data I am contacting the manufactuer for definate details and also perhaps for some help on the subject.

Will keep updated

Care to share which one?

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I learned a lot by looking at websites of LED grow light manufacturers and reading the explanations for why they designed their light arrays a certain way. Now if you build only one of these things and it works great, you really won't know if the blue night light is why it worked so good. But it would cost a lot to build two of these LED arrays, though you'd now own two fully functional arrays irregardless of having the blue LEDs wired separate.

The cheapest way to find out if this technique an advantage is to run two grows with the HID lamps you already own and throw in supplemental nightlight with only one of the grows.

"One of the suppliers that does reef tanks suggested that the blue 430nm is considered a violet/purple LED, so he suggested Luxeon ES royal blue, as it is other spectrums crucial for photosynthesis, and has proven results in the field, ..."

The 430nm hits close to the peak for Chlorophyll A. From my reading, Chlorophyll B is a supplementary and kicks the captured electrons over to the Chlorophyll A for processing. I wonder what the advantage is of hitting that Chlorophyll B also instead of maxing out the A? I read one mention of plants having three times the amount of Chlorophyll A as they do Chlorophyll B. Again, this suggests that you might get more bang for your buck by targeting the Chlorophyll A. Reef tanks and the chlorophyll containing corals within might be a whole different ball game from what we're dealing with. Also moonlight seems bright but it ain't nothing like sunlight.

One LED grow light manufacturer whose site I viewed had LEDs in the array to target those four peaks in the absorption spectrum; 410nm, 430nm, 642nm, and 662nm. And also had white light emitting diodes and some infrared in the array.

Good luck with this!

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Ah Very smart Rabbit indeed, So in order to do this on a small scale which is likely the best way to do it perhaps, might I suggest a 2900k CFL and the 430nm led. two small specimens to be Flipped at the same time using the same light but one with the addition of the 430nm?

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
this is intersesting, recall getting a filling and then they put this purpley ultrviolet coloured light on the filling. Well found this on ebay 5W Dental Wireless Cordless LED Curing Light Lamp D3 430nm-485nm its UV light? hmm...

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
this is intersesting, recall getting a filling and then they put this purpley ultrviolet coloured light on the filling. Well found this on ebay 5W Dental Wireless Cordless LED Curing Light Lamp D3 430nm-485nm its UV light? hmm...

That's all within the visible spectrum. I've had those in my mouth before. Batteries won't cut it here. Since it's cordless you'd have to take it apart and find a way to wire it to a constant electrical supply.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Actually I just thought it interesting that it is the same wave length as the curing light, this is more what I was looking at, found on ebay after searching 430nm

20W 45mil 427-430nm UV LED Panel

Description:
•Wavelength: 427-430nm UV
•Bin Code: EL
•LED chips: EPILEDS EP-U4545K-A3 45x45 mil
◦ Download Manufacturer Data Sheet

•PAR reading(Instrument: Apogee MQ-200): 83
•DC Forward Voltage (VF): 10-11V DC
•DC Forward Current (IF): 1000-2100mA max
•Viewing Angle: 120 Degree
•Life span: 50000 hours guarantee

Item included: 20W 427-430nm LED panel x 1

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
They are $35us shipped not bad I think if its doable seems less expensive than purchasing individuale LED's whats your take.

Peace

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Guess that would work with your suggested side by side grows using CFLs and two plants. So you'd wire it to a 10 volt DC adapter?

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Actually I just ordered 6 of those 3 watt 430nm UV LED's and a driver big enough to run them for just under $40 shipped from HONG KONG, So this is what I will do. I will wire up the 6 LED' and driver + timer and a CFL of 2900k of a suitable wattage on its own timer then I will commence the experiment. It will likely be a few weeks before I get everything and then I have to construct it. I will document it all and inform you guys of the outcome. Ha funny with some input I went from $500 to $50 dollars, but if it works you can bet I will be making some additions to an already existing setup.

Peace

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
That's great!

When you run the side by side experiment you'll need to use identical clones. It would be best if each set up had more than one plant, but you may not have the room or lighting for that.

Looking forward to seeing how your work on this turns out. :good:

edit; Man, the posting feature on this website is all screwed up.

budlover123

One of the suppliers that does reef tanks suggested that the blue 430nm is considered a violet/purple LED, so he suggested Luxeon ES royal blue, as it is other spectrums crucial for photosynthesis, and has proven results in the field...
only if you get a good deal on them, as far as I know the new Cree royal blues are a lot more efficient than the Luxeons from the data I've seen.

Not interested in using DMX at all? oh well

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Well, for now I did jus enough reserearch to get the LEDs at 3watts in the right wavelength to fullfil the experiments desired effect. So I did not consider efficiancy considering the whole setup will draw about 18 watts, now I will consider it when I am talking a thousand watt LED fixture with intergrated timers dimmers and possibly an MP# players with built in UV-B lights, with small pinhole cams on wifi which is what I would like to end up with in the end.

Peace

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
There really should be an LED group / Forum. I also ordered a chinese made 1000watt LED fixture that was cunstructed with all 3 watt LED and hit all the required functions, also ordered a couple of killowatt power meters so I can see what the results are of switching from HID to LED.

Peace

homebrew420

This is a very interesting idea. I may have to do som e convincing to the boss and try this out in a tent at the garden. we were using LED arrays for over a year and these had rows of different spectrums. I could solderer in the right orders and try this with a variety of different arrays, in a 4x4 tent. could be very valuable in a commercial setting.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I am just running a secondary fixture and running a side by side test, the only reason I think it will work is because LEd's Isolate wavelegnths so well. If it does work, it would pave the way for some super weed.

Peace

zeke99

Two plants? I don't want to discourage any sort of controlled experimentation, but your sample size might be detrimental towards the value of the results.