What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blue Kwazulus

GrandpaMillenial

Very impressive system you've got - nice genetics and healthy growth.
I've got ten seeds yet to sprout and eight more to drop from the collectively hoarded bag seed that I work with. Unhappy with my cumbersome handling during my routine in veg (1/2 gal to 2 gal to 5 gal) I elected to run my efforts in repurposed coffee canisters with the rationale of running greater numbers to offset the unavoidable males that pop up with every cycle. The drawback I'm finding is a greater need to add nutes and near daily watering to keep things vibrant.
The males that have appeared after flipping to 12/12 following my normal two months on 18/6 are cruelly repotted and relocated to a clandestine greenhouse to endure the fluctuations of temperatures with the intention to harvest fresh pollen to add to my stash in the freezer - have yet to purposely dust anything but perhaps one day.
Their ability to shrug off the brutal mangling of repotting has me ready to do the same with the confirmed females with my indoor delights. A test subject this past week faired well enough that I'm going to try this with others that begin exhibiting the claustrophobic stress of the smaller containers.
I've been fortunate enough to test drive four different lighting units over the past couple of years and am currently putting a Mars Hydro TSL2000 through its paces (in conjunction with a SP3000) which iare throwing 600 watts from the wall at my dedicated flowering space; a 2 x 4 closet. Three additional enclosures roughly half that size handle extended veg after sprouting in two separate boxes.
View attachment 18791779 View attachment 18791781
The remarkable upswing of this specimen who struggled through its first month looking pretty forlorn and is almost ready to slip into short hours is a prime example of how I try to craft my youngsters to offer their greatest potential. Topped after the fourth or fifth node and aggressively trained, they display between six to eight competing mains which range from ten to fifteen inches on average at harvest.
View attachment 18791780

Hello Boob McNoob!

I would say cannabis loves being repotted and handles it quite well. I often break up the root ball by hand. sometimes if things are bound up, ill even take a utility knife and make a few vertical slices around the ball to break things up. I picked that up from working with some landscapers and planting a bunch of bushes. the smaller pots will help you avoid over watering and or turning your soil acidic. Im currently in 3 gallon pots, they went from dixie cups, 1.8 gallon, 3 gallon. usually I dont use anything least than a 5 gallon fabric bag for flowering but this tent is smaller so im using 3 gallon plastic pots.

These blurps are my old back up lights. I bought them the day we legalized recreational cannabis in Michigan. I now use HLGs as my primary, but these Mars Hydro 300 eco are actually decent for a small tent. I had a conversation about 4 years ago with a medical grower, and he was working with 30 plants and he was really loving the SP series, i cant remember the exact model 2000 or 3000. its been a while. But yeah, there is a hot spot where these leds really work their magic, i use light meter and start removing lower bud sites, ill keep a few lower fan leaves around. Great job and awesome training!

GrandpaMillenial

Girls at the end of week 2

I was considering making some F2’s but I didn’t like any of the males, i might introduce a male Blueberry and make a backcross.
C3BC1886-B3B4-471A-8C29-7B218182D698.jpeg

5016CFF2-97F8-4EA1-9A97-3F2C7ADB4187.jpeg

Attachments

• 54AC300C-6449-47D9-9FA9-3DC65B8EC36B.jpeg
    54AC300C-6449-47D9-9FA9-3DC65B8EC36B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

GrandpaMillenial

They look great! I love seeing the mix between Kwazulu spears and blueberry foxtails. Where are the aromatics falling in the spectrum?

Hey Tyrone!

Yeah, Im really glad that kwazulu “spear” is the dominant shape, its making for a much bigger bud than blueberry brings.

This tent was a freebie from a friend who recently upgraded so its short, which mean that foxtailing bud was pretty close to the lights for a few days. like 8-10 inches away.

The current smell, i get from these girls is pineapple. For a while It was actually coming off a bit skunkish, like burning rubber/skunk.

TyroneShoelace

Hey Tyrone!

Yeah, Im really glad that kwazulu “spear” is the dominant shape, its making for a much bigger bud than blueberry brings.

This tent was a freebie from a friend who recently upgraded so its short, which mean that foxtailing bud was pretty close to the lights for a few days. like 8-10 inches away.

The current smell, i get from these girls is pineapple. For a while It was actually coming off a bit skunkish, like burning rubber/skunk.
Very nice! And I love seeing the undersides of the leaves showing that purple. Kind of a surprise that you're getting a pineapple aroma, but I am not sure what I expected. My Kwazulus were all anise while the Flo's were floral cedar. I can't imagine what the babies will be like. It will be interesting to see how yours finish and cure. Sounds like they're all pretty consistent smelling across the bunch, no?

I also noticed that my BB, Flo, and BCM#1 were all significantly more sensitive to higher light environments than other plants. They were all the first to foxtail and I'm sure would have benefitted from dialing the light back a good bit. Good lessons.

GrandpaMillenial

Very nice! And I love seeing the undersides of the leaves showing that purple. Kind of a surprise that you're getting a pineapple aroma, but I am not sure what I expected. My Kwazulus were all anise while the Flo's were floral cedar. I can't imagine what the babies will be like. It will be interesting to see how yours finish and cure. Sounds like they're all pretty consistent smelling across the bunch, no?

I also noticed that my BB, Flo, and BCM#1 were all significantly more sensitive to higher light environments than other plants. They were all the first to foxtail and I'm sure would have benefitted from dialing the light back a good bit. Good lessons.

Its a fun grow so far. My lights are on a reverse schedule so like 7pm-7am, Im gonna bust out the magnifying glass. I am getting one of the best fades I’ve ever scene.

only one girl from the reddish/purple kwazulu, she has the best fade, entire stem is purple, but ironically the smallest yield but no foxtails.

Im using my main tent for revegging and cloning at the moment. Flo almost didn’t reveg like 70 days until I had my first normal 5 bladed leaf. I’ll take some nice pics tonight with more detailed info.

GrandpaMillenial

Just realized that I never posted a smoke report here, so here it goes.

The Kwazulu speedy high dominated the high, just a bit more evened out. Definitely a crowd pleaser, high lasted a bit over two hours.

The flavors were all over the place. They all had a bit of the classic blueberry flavor. Some where skunky, some where pineapple-ish, the plants from the purple kwazulu was like blueberry and a floral tea.

Bud structure was vastly improved over what I have found from regular blueberry, which i’ve grown about 3-4 times. There where some leaves that where difficult to trim, they looked very promising as hash plants. Trichomes on the petioles.

Due to herm issues, I didn’t save the plants or any seed. I think a better pheno hunt on both sides would yield better results.

I could see myself going back and recreating this. The F1’s really brought the best of both worlds.

Due to my slacking, these are the only buds i have left.

IMG_0031.jpeg