What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blah's First Ppk

Mr Blah

I am now wondering if I need to get black buckets to do a build....Are there any benefits of using black vs HD orange and Lowes blue?
I know they are 5 gals and not 3.5 but that just means more base solution.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I am now wondering if I need to get black buckets to do a build....Are there any benefits of using black vs HD orange and Lowes blue?
I know they are 5 gals and not 3.5 but that just means more base solution.

good morning! you should use black or something light does not pass through to prevent algae. algae attracts pests, clogs lines, and is competition for the nutrients.

Mr Blah

Thank you D-9.

So far I am loving the low maintenance of my system and the "less" factor.
I still have my upstairs vegging tent under T-5's and wondering what fixture I should try to speed up growth. I know adding HPS would encourage tall growth but I use HPS 600's downstairs but do not want to adopt that method upstairs because of the power consumption.

Any ideas....?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Thank you D-9.

So far I am loving the low maintenance of my system and the "less" factor.
I still have my upstairs vegging tent under T-5's and wondering what fixture I should try to speed up growth. I know adding HPS would encourage tall growth but I use HPS 600's downstairs but do not want to adopt that method upstairs because of the power consumption.

Any ideas....?

sorry i'm so late but i just saw this! it's hard to say without understanding the space but perhaps led's might be a good choice. i really don't know much about building them and don't know enough to recommend a fixture. maybe some of the regular led users can help.

I have always done a 30 sec/quart pulse feed through drip rings every 90 mins.
I have never screened my Turface, only rinsed it very well. Some of my buckets are visible dry looking every place on top except where the ring is.
Should I be concerned?
I do poke my finger through the top layer about an 1" and it is moist.
Should I up my rate to 60 mins?
hey guys, researching medium for my PPK sites. I am wondering what you guys mean when you guys say SCREENED turface? Does that mean there is a screen underneath the turface in the tailpipe? Or is that referring to a process where you dump turface onto a screen and rinse it?? Sorry just want to make sure i understand correctly

Mr Blah

Hey Newguy, Thanks for stopping in.
Yes, screening Turface means just that, dumping Turface out on a screen and using what is left on top. Which is a bit larger.

On a side note, I do not screen mine. People say I should but that is a very labor intensive decision that will be made later if that is a underlying reason for plugging anything up.

If I had to screen I would suspend a screened 2'x2' frame with rope to the rafters in my (10') garage hanging about waste height so I can shake. With two wheel borrows; one under box screen for catching smalls and the other next to it for dumping larger stuff.

If you haven't read the beginning of this thread please go back and give it a skimming. Lots of good stuff. :dance013:

C.O.B.

Blah, gonna have to peruse your thread and ideas. I'm in small constrained spaces(tents). Veg is 3x3 flower is 4x4. Only have 2 more runs in fabric pots...And then they are retired. So I have to come up with something quick lol. Keep it up. noobs such as myself are watching/learning.

Mr Blah

Does anyone know how many pumps I can run on one DTR-1 cycle timer?
I understand it is 15amps rated but does anyone know what the amps are on each pump?
I got 3-1200gph, 2-9.5gph, and will have 12-185gph pumps running on this one DTR-1.
Just trying to do some figuring and they don't write the amps on each pump.
Thanks

Mr Blah

I researched a little more and answered my own question.
I will post my findings so I can reference back and others can see also.
The Pondmaster 1200 uses 1.5amps/110watts
" " 950 uses 1.33amps/93watts
generic 185gph pump I think uses .5amps I was unclear on this.

So I don't think I can use one DTR-1 for my needs. One upstairs and one for downstairs.

Thank you Blah:biggrin:

Mr Blah

Now I got to look for a good recycling timer for downstairs. Was going to just get another DRT-1 but think that might be a bit more expensive than others on the market...any suggestions? :tiphat:

The DRT I can get for 146 with shipping but this one is a lot cheaper.
https://www.hydroponics.net/i/138938 Anyone use this one before?

I will be running an extension cord off from it with 12-185gph and 1-950gph pump

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
well, it's not exactly something the average person on the street would have to deal with.

welcome to the wonderful world of indoor growing! where we have to learn how to milk the last amp of energy out of a panel, but not burn the house down!

Mr Blah

I just gave away 6 relays from my DIY flip box. It would of been perfect. Oh well 20 bucks will give me another.
Good save D.:tiphat:

Mr Blah

Sorry, there has been no updates in a while.
Been busy like us all growers and our obsessions. :dance013:

I managed to bring RO water down stairs with a hole in the floor and shoving a black hose in the Brute...I smile every time I do something like that.....Just a while ago, to do something like this would of taken at least a $100 and many trips to HD. :biggrin:

I did however put a ball valve upstairs and down. Just for piece of mind.

I also harvested some much, to pretty Purple Urkle that came out very nice :woohoo:I don't know if it is the high amount of air moving through the tent or it is the PPK set up...Either way, I like it! Thank you D again. :huggg:

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4161.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4155.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4160.jpg
    IMG_4160.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 15

Mr Blah

more photos.

Next, I got the joy of changing all the downstairs rooms from UC to PPK. With hopefully more abundant harvests. :laughing:

Attachments

• IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4154.jpg
    IMG_4154.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4156.jpg
    IMG_4156.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 15

Desert Hydro

Veteran
damn you people! im getting a new space again(~750 sq ft) and i was gonna do rockwool in pots and drippers but i have a 12 site ppk system in storage that is begging to be used and i think i have to listen now. i might be one of the first few to combine PPKs and high powered COB arrays. also gonna snag a couple DE lights to try out against my LED builds. want to see if my 600+ watts of COB can compete with a 1k HID

Latest posts

Latest posts