What's new

Blah's First Ppk

DelTaco

Never mind, I did my own research. The pictures I am finding online for heat stress match what I see on my own plants more than light stress or light bleaching. I am going to bump my lights up some more and see what that does for me. Thanks for mentioning light stress though as it was this insight that sent me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Blah thanks again for letting me borrow your thread.

Mr Blah

i have found that when using extremely powerful lighting that 8/4/8/4 vegetative timing gets high speed growth. each 8 hour period at 1000 umols delivers 28.8 moles so that would be 57.6 moles total per day but giving the plant time to use the photosynthate between applications.

Would the 8/4/8/4 lighting schedule work with other vegging lights other than the DE's?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Never mind, I did my own research. The pictures I am finding online for heat stress match what I see on my own plants more than light stress or light bleaching. I am going to bump my lights up some more and see what that does for me. Thanks for mentioning light stress though as it was this insight that sent me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Blah thanks again for letting me borrow your thread.

it's not heat, it's more likely humidity and light. i run my leaf temps at 84-85f sometimes with no ill effect.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Would the 8/4/8/4 lighting schedule work with other vegging lights other than the DE's?

sure, i've only done it wth bare vertical hid bulbs thus far. during the off 4 hrs you don't need absolute darkness just a lessening of intensity. so you can run flo's for work purposes and still see what you are doing.

C.O.B.

Blah, I use the 8/4/8/4 and I'm running store bought Led fixtures in my veg area. Was using the Gas Lantern Regimen intially. I'd say yes it does work. I know I am not putting the umols down that the guys using bare bulbs or de's. I do however get great veg growth for my timing and perpetual program. Peace.

C.O.B.

Mr Blah

I might try it COB. I need to start vegging today for a first tent flip in about 2 weeks. You think they will grow fast like that?
I am only using T-5's for the 4x8 ppk vegging. 3-4'ers. What would you think the best way to grow em up fast otta be?

Also started some more blending of the turface and perlite. I am trying the Av8or way with the black tote and two holes with screen covering them.
It seems to work and clear water is rushing out of the totes. I did push the turface from side to side with my hand just so the water went everywhere.
I did my perlite with a wheel barrow. Filled the barrow up with perlite than with water up to an inch of the rim all while I am sloshing it around getting the fines to settle lower in the mix. I then let it sit for an hr or so than I took a strainer with a handle (used in cooking) and skimmed off the top into a bucket.
All though when I dumped the bucket this morning into the mixing tote seen in the photo. The residual perlite that stuck to the bucket looks very small along with the large chunks.

Is this going to be a problem or is this the problem I have been having with the draining issue?

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4096.jpg
    IMG_4096.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4097.jpg
    IMG_4097.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 14

Mr Blah

Just planted 7 more and documented the way I did it so if I did it wrong please inform me so I change that method.

Attachments

• IMG_4100.jpg
    IMG_4100.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4103.jpg
    IMG_4103.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 16

C.O.B.

I might try it COB. I need to start vegging today for a first tent flip in about 2 weeks. You think they will grow fast like that?

Depends on your definition of "fast". My veg tent vegs efficiently enough FOR ME that my light regimen doesn't matter. I should say, my veg tent's environment is conducive to accelerated veg regardless of their daylight schedule or the conventional schedules,18/6, 16/8,20/4,. I've only used 18/6 in veg for about a month long time ago.I used GLR schedule with great success. Saw this schedule and decided to give it a shot also. I'm a experimenter and tinkerer. Can't leave well enough alone most times....also a detriment at times.

I am only using T-5's for the 4x8 ppk vegging. 3-4'ers. What would you think the best way to grow em up fast otta be?

Never used T-5's so i'll not try to answer that. IMO to "grow em up fast" is to get the environment right for that strain/s (can be more challenging for multiple strains) and make sure the roots are catered to. Homemade aero cloner, into solo cup to fully root the media for about a week,then into 1 or 2 gal fabric pot, I get 1.5 -2" growth nightly once transplanted and settled. If I'm not defoliating them of course.

Also started some more blending of the turface and perlite. I am trying the Av8or way with the black tote and two holes with screen covering them.
It seems to work and clear water is rushing out of the totes. I did push the turface from side to side with my hand just so the water went everywhere.
I did my perlite with a wheel barrow. Filled the barrow up with perlite than with water up to an inch of the rim all while I am sloshing it around getting the fines to settle lower in the mix. I then let it sit for an hr or so than I took a strainer with a handle (used in cooking) and skimmed off the top into a bucket.
All though when I dumped the bucket this morning into the mixing tote seen in the photo. The residual perlite that stuck to the bucket looks very small along with the large chunks.

Is this going to be a problem or is this the problem I have been having with the draining issue?

Haven't started up my ppk with a plant in it yet. Need to make room in veg which will be in about a week. Only got 4.5" on the capillary rise test,but I did get 37.5% afp.I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket and used my 5 gal ppk res(rubber hose hole) to sit under it. Just ran/blasted water thru till clear. Fines ran out the bottom scooped em up used em as top dressing for veg plants and solo clones.
Also did the tote with holes and screen. On my test runs, It appears those smaller particles don't effect the drainage. That's not to say it won't once it's filled with roots. I just made sure there was no perlite "dust" or turface "dust" leftover in the ppk pot after a few days of it running. If there was any residue, I dumped it and re washed it. That perlite sludge will clog shit up. I've run enough perlite hempys to see it's effect. Not sure I helped any, hope so. I'm rather lifted. Peace.

C.O.B.

Mr Blah

Thanks COB.
I don't have any perlite dust but like in the pictures there is some small stuff. I hope it is not an issue.

I think I am going to buy some LEDs for vegging these ppk plants. I have 600s hps down stairs vegging my UC set up.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Just planted 7 more and documented the way I did it so if I did it wrong please inform me so I change that method.

the only thing i would do different here is use the bigger perlite. at least in the tailpiece.

the perlite you show is the "propagation" grade. i clone in it. there is a "big and chunky" one size up from that.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

Depends on your definition of "fast". My veg tent vegs efficiently enough FOR ME that my light regimen doesn't matter. I should say, my veg tent's environment is conducive to accelerated veg regardless of their daylight schedule or the conventional schedules,18/6, 16/8,20/4,. I've only used 18/6 in veg for about a month long time ago.I used GLR schedule with great success. Saw this schedule and decided to give it a shot also. I'm a experimenter and tinkerer. Can't leave well enough alone most times....also a detriment at times.

Never used T-5's so i'll not try to answer that. IMO to "grow em up fast" is to get the environment right for that strain/s (can be more challenging for multiple strains) and make sure the roots are catered to. Homemade aero cloner, into solo cup to fully root the media for about a week,then into 1 or 2 gal fabric pot, I get 1.5 -2" growth nightly once transplanted and settled. If I'm not defoliating them of course.

Haven't started up my ppk with a plant in it yet. Need to make room in veg which will be in about a week. Only got 4.5" on the capillary rise test,but I did get 37.5% afp.I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket and used my 5 gal ppk res(rubber hose hole) to sit under it. Just ran/blasted water thru till clear. Fines ran out the bottom scooped em up used em as top dressing for veg plants and solo clones.
Also did the tote with holes and screen. On my test runs, It appears those smaller particles don't effect the drainage. That's not to say it won't once it's filled with roots. I just made sure there was no perlite "dust" or turface "dust" leftover in the ppk pot after a few days of it running. If there was any residue, I dumped it and re washed it. That perlite sludge will clog shit up. I've run enough perlite hempys to see it's effect. Not sure I helped any, hope so. I'm rather lifted. Peace.

C.O.B.

same advice. use the bigger grade for at least the tailpiece. when we started that all clogging ceased.

C.O.B.

Yessir what Delta said. I have the hort grade(big n chunky) perlite in the tailpiece. Had some foscu- brand stuff from the grow shop(small bag). Worthless or than cloning. It breaks down really easy as well,like it doesn't the weight the chunky does and ends up as sludge. Peace.

C.O.B.

Mr Blah

Great...:wallbash::wallbash:

There was a sludge on the bottom of the wheel barrow after rinsing and letting the perlite set for a while.

Since I have to order the chunky stuff cause what I got, said large chunk. Do you guys think it will be ok for this grow? (start it on the next time) or should I order and transplant in a week or so?
So far nothing is flooding and draining is doing great.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Great...:wallbash::wallbash:

There was a sludge on the bottom of the wheel barrow after rinsing and letting the perlite set for a while.

Since I have to order the chunky stuff cause what I got, said large chunk. Do you guys think it will be ok for this grow? (start it on the next time) or should I order and transplant in a week or so?
So far nothing is flooding and draining is doing great.

you could try it but be prepared to lift out the rootball and place it into another pot with the tailpiece packed with big and chunky.

i think a lot of you guys are still using screen at the bottom of the tailpiece. i am not.

i am using;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-3-in-Snap-in-Drain-845-3PPK/202313209

the size of this fitting will let the propagation grade pass but won't let the chunky pass.

i think the screens tend to trap small particle flat to the screen and perhaps let it build up to a clogging point.

C.O.B.

Only reason I'm not using the above is I'm have .the original 1.5" tailpieces. No grate for that size. In other news, my solo clone rooted in the 50/50 perlite/turface mix. 9 days, lil recharge slurry and 600 ppms of jacks+cacinit also fed when veg was once sometimes twice a day on root goodie days. Eh....now i'm gonna HAVE to fire the ppk up! Room in flower tent opens up in a few days. It'll leave me room in veg to reorganize things. No more procrastination, no kore of the ppk sitting next to it's future domicile awaiting greatness, stareing at me with angst awaiting it shot. Psh.....D9 this is all your fault my man. Peace.
C.O.B.

Mr Blah

I'm using the 1.5" tailpipe that D9 recommended with this size bucket.
I like Av8or's clean look with those drains but I will save that for the downstairs swap over. I will make those sites bigger.
These upstairs rooms are suppose to be practice not to over run the rooms. I would love to get a lb a plant site out of the 3.5gal buckets though. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts