What's new

Black Ra1n's Grow Journal ~2008~

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Hey black rain, that is cool with that technique but I think scarifying would provide the same results as it is similar.

I forget the terminology but the seed has like a protective coating which prevents water from entering the seed. By gently scratching off this coating around the seal of the seed will allow water to enter and new life begins.

Hope that makes sense to you as I hate to see some one squish their seeds. I will see if I can find the info on that.

I am sorry I couldnt find a link with detailed info and pics on what I was talking about. I did find this link though scarify

Last edited:

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Dr Dog, yeah that sounds like a nice strain. The white stuff you see is just the fuzz on the stem. They aren't growing at all, so I'll try to transplant them into better soil and dump the old crap in the garbage where it belongs.

High Lowlander, thanks for the encouragement man.

Hey damakkus, I've tried the scuff method, but it's not half as effective as this. You just barely crack the seed, on the side not top to bottom lol.... I'm doing all my seeds this way for now on. Thanks for the popping in... hope that room is coming along, I'll be over to check it out later.

The new seeds are in soil, they are just starting to peer through the soil. Like I said I'm going to transplant the 2 other ones, I have nothing to lose, they haven't grown at all.

B/R

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Dude, if it works that well I may have to jump on that train as well.

How far do you crack it? Until you see the cotyledon?

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Nope just enough to say it cracked so the water can get in, be sure to soak them for atleast 12 hours for new seeds.... 24 for the tough old bastards. This makes the cracking part easier and there's less chance of cracking the seed in half.... try doing a side by side and see if there is any difference. I know people are going to say "don't do that" but if it works??? then why the hell not lol. We all have old seeds sitting around that are still viable with this method so why not try it out. Have a great one man....

B/R

Anima

heya B/R!!
i have finally arrived!...hehehe
sorry to see your seedlings in distress...yea, those look like my plants last year when I watered with polluted rain water...
Nice shots though! :yes:
Get em in some clean soil and they should go fine.
peace man

G

Hey Black Rain...

I see you have some troubles...

Use the cotyledons as a 'feed me' gauge...

When Im in a new medium when the cotyledons start to turn yellow its time for a weak feed....

When your cotyledons yellow completely with only one more set of leaves the soil is real shit....Normally the plant lives on some nutrient from the soil and some from the cotyledons...in your case the plant is living entirely from whats in the cotyledons.... IMO...

Good thing is they are beginning to stock all the garden stuff....

I usually feed all my babies at least once just after germination with a complete fert with full micros....

then watch the cotyledons for yellowing for my next feed.....

Last edited:

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Anima, thanks for stopping in. The first batch of seedlings are pretty much gone but one lonely trainwreck x straw d. It's not looking good either. I'll explain what happened....

Dr Hooks, hey I found out today what the problem was... I've never fed my lil ones, what do you feed yours and how much? Thanks for the comments.

Well I decided to test the water that I had sitting out for a few days now. I tested it with my hanna and it was saying it was 11, which is impossible. So I decided to test it the old way and it was sooooooo off it was crazy. My hanna is reading almost 6 more than it should, thus I've been using very bad water. So I guess the hanna is screwed, I've always hated these damn things. This plus the crap soil explains so much. Dog was right when he said they we locked out lol, they were poisoned. The new lil ones look much better. I'll update soon, I'll be busy over the next bit, with trying to get my house settled and moved and the new room pumping.

Take care all....

B/R

G

One of the best things to feed are seaweed extract and maybe a little fish....

I personally use a canadian product thrive alive which is seaweed based...

Or pure blend would work at 5 ml per gallon.....

Promix for example doesnt have ferts.... and this would work well for that....

something like ff ocean forrest however would not need any food.....

The most important aspect of my post isnt what they are fed as much as the cotyledons can tell you when they are hungry.... when the cotyledons have yellowed they are asking for food....

Last edited:

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
I really think the yellowing was from the water. When I took the dead seedlings out, there was no root structure what so ever, just the single brown tap root. I normally don't feed until they have 2 sets of leaves. Thanks for the info though.

B/R

FarOut

Bummer bout those seedlings B/R :badday:

At least you have the Trainwrek x Strawberry Diesel started and others on the way, that TW x SD sounds like a sweet cross :rasta:

You have time :rasta:

Peace :rasta:

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
sorry about the babies, BR...youll get em goin again, no worries!! Look forward to new pics dude, take care....:wave:

- Z

ogenko

damn hanna
did you have the cheaper red one???
i had one of those and it did the same thing
in a matter of days it went from calibrated to reading 4+ point high
and trusting the meter i had my babies in an acid bath for almost a week
i ended up with the black ph/ppm waterproof hanna which has been working alright now
don't trust it though after the mishap and i'm calibrating it way more than i should have to
it's better it happened early in the game so you can get a fresh start and you don't lose too much time
so git er done

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
FarOut, hey man, 1 t x sd left and 4 bc mystery seedlings. They are doing much better.

ZeusOGrefugee, thanks bro.

ogenko, yeah it's the red one. I put it away and am going back to the aquarium test kit.

I took some pics of the new BC mystery seedlings.

B/R

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
That is some camera, wow, how clear they are

Fingers crossed they get some roots bro

Heya BR!
I think you called it when you were suspecting you're water was way too acidic.
I'm most certainly a noob at growing :D but what i observed at one of my first tries at this game called growing: when the soil is too hot the cotyledons will fry as well. Like Ogenko said though: better to find out early on so you can replace em rather then way too late in the game..
Anyways, i'm sure you'll do good with the rest of em :kissass: :D
:wave:, Low
PS: i really like your new avatar its the seed of OGA (although i don't really know what that's about :redface:) spreading it's evil taproots everywhere :nanana:

Last edited:

TML16

Snow Grower ~OGA~
Veteran
Thanks for the help with the new avatar eh :smile:

Havn't been round your thread much here, but I feel like I know exactly what is going on in your grow :biglaugh:

Best of luck with the new babies :ying:

Anima

Heya B/R! :wave:
sweet shots bro!:joint:
Yea, can't beat the old school

$15 well spent IMHO. no batteries, no calibration, superior reliability.

Anyhow the new babies look great! Congratulations!! :jump:

Latest posts

Latest posts