What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Sur Holy

M

MummyCat

I was fortunate enough to get some seeds of Big Sur Holy from an old timer in Southern Oregon. I'm super intrigued with old genetics so I absolutely cannot wait to play with this one :dance013:

bigsurleaf.jpg
bigsurplant.jpg

M

MummyCat

It's hard to find much info on this strain which is part of my motivation for posting.

Someone please feel free to correct me but I think it's Zacatecas purple that had sort of become a landrace strain of the Big Sur area in the 1960's and 70's

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
It's not that hard to find info on Big Sur Holy Weed MummyCat, all you have to do is to ask the oldtimers,

BSHW is said to be a cross between a Mexican Zacatecas Purple and either an Afghani or a Kush, so let's just call it an Indica. Reputedly made by a Buddhist monk called Perry in Big Sur around 1965 or so.
It's a famous clone only, so if you hold seeds then they are hybrids or hermies. You see this plant pop up every now and then in pot forums, so it's still around. It came to Europe some decades ago, and some great crosses from BSHW are S.A.G.E and Sensi Star. I've grown both and recommend S.A.G.E over the Sensi, but that's just me.

Nice! F*&^ing very healthy looking plant by the way. Love them old school genetics, wish I had some sense to keep the seeds I used to find in my bud all the time when I was in my teens. I still remember my bungalow used to have a permanent skunk smell in it like the walls were covered with Skunk Scratch 'n Sniff wall paper... place stank buy I loved sitting in the dingy old couches tearing down bongs with my mates... aahhh memories.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Wow outstandind plant! The leaves and stem are so beautiful and bright, it seems she's enjoying the sun there!

I look forward to hear more from this! :p

M

MummyCat

thanks guys, she sure is a striking plant, nothing in the garden looks and smells quite like her. Both seeds I popped were female so the jury is still out on whether or not they're hermie seeds, I'd love to find a male to keep :)

I'd love to hear from some more old timers on this strain and I'll keep posting pics of her until harvest

take care everyone :thank you:

this is the number one strain i want, would take this over anything but doubt i will ever get my hands on it, would really like to see some hybrids with this. cant wait to see how it turns out, theres a thread on here somewhere with a lot of info on it.

M

MummyCat

this is the number one strain i want, would take this over anything but doubt i will ever get my hands on it, would really like to see some hybrids with this. cant wait to see how it turns out, theres a thread on here somewhere with a lot of info on it.

Please post a link to that thread if the mods don't mind :)

I'm going to keep a pure clone of it around and give the strain to a local collective as well, but crossing it might be cool too, I have three Acapulco Gold seedlings that haven't sexed yet so I'm praying for a male :ying:

It is not supposed to be a clone-only, there are many different seedlines floating around out there. I have a single plant from seed growing outdoors now.

MummyCat, beautiful pics! Thanks so much for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:

BudZad7

Big Sur Holy Weed

Big Sur Holy Weed

:tiphat: Hi Everyone !!! That is a Very nice plant, but it does not look like the real deal Big Sur Holy Weed , it's mostly a Sativa plant with narrow leaves.....???? Yours must be a cross...???:wave:

M

MummyCat

Hi Everybody,

Here's a pic of her starting to flower! :ying:

bigsurbudding.jpg

..... and here is a pic of the remaining seeds that I have

BSHseeds.jpg

Hi Mummy....not real sure what you have there but she sure is pretty! I knew some folks in Big Sur in the early 70's and smoked a bunch of weed out there on visits to see them.

Everybody who wasn't employed at Big Sur Inn or Napenthe restaurant or one of the few businesses was either an artist, poet, writer, musician or hippie grower. I met a grower who lived with his family in a home-made tent that was attached to a fallen, hollowed-out redwood trunk. Huge, schoolbus size log. It was a real special place to burn a few and drink some beer in the evening.

The first time I smoked the BSHW, I was a fairly inexperienced smoker and I literally tripped hard with visuals for about an hour. I thought it had been soaked in some psychedelic or something. I got pasty-white and had to fight not to pass out and fall on my face from the sheer rushing in my head. Never been that high on weed alone since that day more than 37 years ago. I smoked more the next day but it wasn't ever that intense again. I realized later, when I started growing and got experienced with different landraces and varieties, that the BSHW was a very mighty Sativa of some sort. Haven't a clue to its origins or whether its still around in similar quality to what I had, but it was definately sativa-dom.

So thanks for the memories, Mummycat. Good luck with her. I just wish I could find some weed that would do that shit to me again.......

stagehand

M

MummyCat

Here she is all finished. Not the best smelling weed ever, but I can't remember the last time I smoked weed this potent, I can't even smoke a whole bowl of it. Also one of the most beautiful plants I've ever grown. The high is so intense it's crazy, I still have some seeds left so I'm going to search for a male as a potency breeder :)

bshwnug.jpg