What's new

Big Soil Little Room, Recycled soil trial

FatherEarth

Veteran
I really cant explain the low CEC, especially using the brand of peat I use. Peat is only 20% of the base mix, I use Emerald Promoss.

40% green waste compost
20% peat
20% perlite
20% Earth worm castings

FatherEarth

Veteran
picture.php

I may just send a test in to a local lab to see what their analysis comes back like. If its close Id say the tests are right but at this point Im not sure what to think . . .

FatherEarth

Veteran
I transplanted some moms into the mix a while back and they all showed P lock out a week or two in. I mixed up some Tainio spectrum extra and also hit them with Pepzyme clear and a week later they were all growing vigorously without any problems and still remain to be. I sent the tests in 3 days after adding that same mix to the beds. Ive kept the beds moist and warm ever since I wonder if anything has changed... All I know is for as high as some of the values are on those analysis reports you would think I could get an ergs reading higher than .2 ....

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Wow What an awesome thread with so much information on soil building to digest :good:
Most definately tagged and bagged for the rest of this show :lurk:
:plant grow:
:gday:

Pangea

Veteran
I would phone up the lab and ask about the low CEC, if its off or wrong how could the other stuff be correct, and unless your compost and EWC have little to no CEC its gotta be wrong, no? Ask them if they used a Barium procedure first.

I think you only got the standard test, their saturated paste test sounds like a weak acid test and would give a closer result to your personal EC readings.

Last edited:

Coba

Veteran
Getting ready for a new round in your new digs. awe yeah

FE, I don't know sh8 about soil tests. but. after a quick wiki look I found this kind of interesting.
As soil acidity increases (pH decreases), more H+ ions are attached to the colloids and push other cations from the colloids and into the soil solution (CEC decreases). Inversely, when soils become more basic (pH increases), the available cations in solution decreases because there are fewer H+ ions to push cations into the soil solution from the colloids (CEC increases).[4]
is it just me. or does it seem to look like the opposite is going on with each of your different samples.
SB1 6.6 24.42
SB2 5.2 37.60
SB3 6.3 21.11
SB4 5.7 27.42
SB5 5.3 36.48
SB6 5.0 36.90
SB7 5.5 33.19
SB8 6.2 25.27
SB9 6.5 25.51

Maybe something to ask them about while you got them on the horn?

FatherEarth

Veteran
Thanks Coba,

I remember reading that in 'the intelligent gardener'.. its all becoming clear now..

I think I should have waited a week after I inoculated the beds with the Tainio products. I tested The PH of every bed and everyone of them was within target range. Checked the ERGS for the first time in about two weeks and behold I got .4-.5 readings. Im going to test and record each bed later this evening, and then add more micorbes and enzymes with some sugars. Interesting stuff, seems those crazy organic nuts who swear they dont use a PH meter for anything were right.. Its still a good diagnostic tool IMO....
Bed#//PH // Soil Temp F
SB1] 6.43/ 62.7
SB2] 6.47/ 62.3
SB3] 6.57 / 62.5
SB4] 6.5 / 62.5
SB5] 6.54/
SB6] 6.48/
SB7] 6.45/
SB8] 6.64/
SB9] 6.6/
SB10] 6.29/
SB11] 6.43/
SB12 ] 6.69/ 62.9

FE

FatherEarth

Veteran
Notes

Notes

While searching thru my notes for the last compost analysis, I found some notes that may helpful for those of you trying to decipher soil analysis results. I Cant remember where I snagged these from but good info either way. . .

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

FatherEarth

Veteran
I got tired of repositioning my gavitas trying to get a more even umol canopy. So I decided on the row space. Then ran a wire with tensioner, (like I do when setting up drying lines) and hung the gavitas off the line. This way I can slide the light where I want it in the row..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I finished installing the drip system. The mainlines hover above the beds to they can still roll. Basically attached the support system to the roof. This enables me to push out the outer rows to make a floating isle to access the two center beds that would be otherwise inaccessible.

picture.php

picture.php

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
This thread is fast becoming one of the greatest threads I've ever read on ICMag :good:
Love the dedication to the grow cause FE :woohoo:
:plant grow:

Latest posts

Latest posts