What's new

big plant ppk

DabOnDabs

Veteran
You can put an ebb & flow overflow fitting between the tailpieces with the screen just above the turface level. Just in case the tailpiece clogs the it would return to the bucket.

But wouldnt that be right in the center where your plant is?? I like the idea though.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Even when I ran coco and my tailpieces clogged I still never flooded. Do it Dabs.

You guys are a cult!!! I have 35 Nightmare OG clones in 16oz cups of coco, otherwise i probably would go for it... Still trying to figure out the logistics, size, specs of everything in my new place, but i could potentially do one 8k room w/ a multi feed coco dtw, and one 8k room w/ 7 PPK's. a month behind the first room to give a perpetual harvest and 2 different systems..

Anybody run plants in this formation??

XOX
O O
XOX
O O
XOX
O O
XOX

Surrounds each plant by two bulbs, and gives a small area in the middle to work on the plants?

I was planning on running 10 plants, 8 lights in this formation with 80:20 Perlite:coco

Grow4Flow

XOX
O O
XOX
O O
XOX
O O
XOX

this looks like there would be wasted space in the center of the bulbs where a plant could potentially be surrounded by 4 bulbs.

How bout 11 plants instead of 8 and fill in the gaps, plants at ends would get 2 bulbs?

XOX
OXO
XOX
OXO
XOX
OXO
XOX

Desert Hydro

Veteran
trees need space for sure. mine have exploded in size. the stretch is on!

Attachments

• IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 14

SecondAttempt

Another way to PPK

Another way to PPK

I cleared posting this project in this thread with D9... it started as a "Low Maintenance/No Maintenance mother keeper system but it's turning into something different now.

So the idea started when I had some spare 5.5 inch pots sitting on a spare 27 gallon Tough Tote (the ones from Lowes are wider and shallower than HD or WallyWorld). I found 15 fit perfect... which is good because I hate culling something until I'm sure it can't help anybody.

I laid out the pots in a grid, drilled the center of the pots through the lid of the tote

Using the holes I predrilled I used a 2 in holesaw on the Tough Tote lid and a 1.5 inch holesaw on the pots (go lightly on the pots they will crack, let the saw do the work.)

I cut lanscape fabic for the bottom of the pots so the Turface didn't pour out the drain holes and added tailpieces.

The goal was to keep "mothers" alive until I'm sure what to cull, I found myself top-feeding once a day though and they grew like crazy.

SecondAttempt

These plants were in my Mother Keeper system 1 week ago... they got so big I moved them to the veg room and soon they will graduate to the flower room.

This is the Mother Keeper tent right now... most everything was transplanet last night it needs some cleaning up

This is a GDP seedling that was put in this system last night... I will update photos of this plant so we have a reference point for how awesome this system is.

The goal moving forward will be to limit myself to 9 or less "mothers" and use the other 6 sites of this system to pre-veg. I also plan to see if discontinuing top-feeding so frequently keeps my mothers manageable.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
I have a buncha plants in 16oz solo cups that needa transplant after I'm in my new house..Can i transplant directly into turface without washing the coco out and just have that small but of coco near the rootball, or is washing the coco out the advisable option. Im still trying to get myself to do it! (PPK)

DabOnDabs

Veteran
These plants were in my Mother Keeper system 1 week ago... they got so big I moved them to the veg room and soon they will graduate to the flower room.

This is a GDP seedling that was put in this system last night... I will update photos of this plant so we have a reference point for how awesome this system is.

The goal moving forward will be to limit myself to 9 or less "mothers" and use the other 6 sites of this system to pre-veg. I also plan to see if discontinuing top-feeding so frequently keeps my mothers manageable.

Sick man!! Love it!

Do you need any support on the iinside of the bucket to keep the lid from bowing or any of that shit? Im sure you lose some strength by drilling the holes in the lid.

SecondAttempt

I and others have transplanted coco into turface... my biggest complaint is the extra rinsing needed to remove all the coco before reusing the turface, I am officially in 100% turface... clones-harvest... but still fighting fungus gnats from my coco days.

Sick man!! Love it!

Do you need any support on the iinside of the bucket to keep the lid from bowing or any of that shit? Im sure you lose some strength by drilling the holes in the lid.

I thought I would need support but so far so good... I planned on building a 3/4 inch PVC cube with holes in it so it would flood and sink. These totes are designed to hold a lot of weight and this probably wouldn't work with a lesser tote.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
I and others have transplanted coco into turface... my biggest complaint is the extra rinsing needed to remove all the coco before reusing the turface, I am officially in 100% turface... clones-harvest... but still fighting fungus gnats from my coco days.

I thought I would need support but so far so good... I planned on building a 3/4 inch PVC cube with holes in it so it would flood and sink. These totes are designed to hold a lot of weight and this probably wouldn't work with a lesser tote.

Would you recommend washing the coco out first and then transplanting or would that shock them too much?:thank you:

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Question I had about this system;

First let me explain my understanding;

Top off res is elevated. There is a tube running from the bottom of this res to a float valve in the control reservoir. This allows water to flow from the elevated res to the control reservoir as the plants drink water.

Question 1;

Why do you have a clamp as your on off valve on the hose leading from your volume res to your control res; If its not connected to the float valve, then what is?

Okay, so during the pulse feed, the pump in the control res starts sucking all the water in the system (each bucket is connected to the control res, and has the same water level as the control res because of the float valve, controlled by the volume reservoir) and pumps it to the top of the plants. This essentially takes most of the water from the system and puts it in turface containers, until it has the time to work its way through the turface, through the tailpieces, back into the buckets.

Question 2:

because the water level in the control res drops as the water is pumped into the top containers, this would open the float valve and allow a flow of water to enter the ppk system from the elevated res. Given that I have never run a ppk, i dont know how long it takes the top containers to drain, but is it hypothetical that too much water would be added back while the ppks drained, essentially lessening the air gap and/or overflowing the system.

Not sure if i understand exactly whats going on. Help!

SecondAttempt

Only 16oz of coco... plant them...

Question I had about this system;

First let me explain my understanding;

Top off res is elevated. There is a tube running from the bottom of this res to a float valve in the control reservoir. This allows water to flow from the elevated res to the control reservoir as the plants drink water.

Question 1;

Why do you have a clamp as your on off valve on the hose leading from your volume res to your control res; If its not connected to the float valve, then what is?

Okay, so during the pulse feed, the pump in the control res starts sucking all the water in the system (each bucket is connected to the control res, and has the same water level as the control res because of the float valve, controlled by the volume reservoir) and pumps it to the top of the plants. This essentially takes most of the water from the system and puts it in turface containers, until it has the time to work its way through the turface, through the tailpieces, back into the buckets.

Question 2:

because the water level in the control res drops as the water is pumped into the top containers, this would open the float valve and allow a flow of water to enter the ppk system from the elevated res. Given that I have never run a ppk, i dont know how long it takes the top containers to drain, but is it hypothetical that too much water would be added back while the ppks drained, essentially lessening the air gap and/or overflowing the system.

Not sure if i understand exactly whats going on. Help!

This is something I had to wrap my head around too... the float valve doesn't flow directly into the control res... it flows into a smaller container (I have 3 control res, 3 different recycled containers) with a pinhole as a throttle. My pumps drain my res in about 30 seconds but the float valve only drips as the interior container stays full.

I believe D9 recommends a 3/64 drill bit for the pinhole, smallest I have is 1/16(4/64), works flawlessly.

As far as the clamp... I have actual on/off valves in the middle of my hose from bulk to control. I use these for several reasons. When I need to top of my mother system I'll turn off a bulk, disconnect and fill my watering can... or when I fill a bulk and mix nutes I'll tun it off so after I mix in my Jack's and walk away if I forget the Cal-Nit for a few hours I'm not allowing Jack's only mix to flow. This is unnecessary because again the bulk only drips into the control but I'm OCD about some things.