What's new

big plant ppk

real ting

pine or fir bark : wouldnt that break down?

That one's listed as for long term plantings, for woody plants and trees. If you look around bonsai growers recommend fir or orchid bark instead of pine, as it won't decompose as much and rob nitrogen from the soil. I'm thinking about trying one of those mixes out for the vegetable garden.

real ting

Real thing I think dolamitic lime would be better as it has magnesium and calcium.

Subbed for which part? I've got sufficient calcium and magnesium in the right ratio already in my nute mix, and I'd think might raise the PH of the soil, where turface usually sits around 6.5 PH. That's one of the reasons people use the bark fines, it brings the PH of the soil down a little bit, which would probably be ideal for cannabis.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Subbed for which part? I've got sufficient calcium and magnesium in the right ratio already in my nute mix, and I'd think might raise the PH of the soil, where turface usually sits around 6.5 PH. That's one of the reasons people use the bark fines, it brings the PH of the soil down a little bit, which would probably be ideal for cannabis.

Replace the gysum with dolomitic lime. It will raise the PH not lower it. Gypsum is calcium sulfate which offer no magnesium to the mix at all where dolomotic lime does have magnesium as well as calcium in a good ratio to each other. Both dolomitic lime and gypsum will raise the PH.

bobblehead

Veteran
I've read a lot about problems with dolomite lime. Veg N Out uses gypsum... I would suggest gypsum for Ca and epsom salts if you need additional magnesium.

icdog

Has D9 been around lately? I remember him saying something about cycle timers and I found a digital one
http://www.innovativegrower.com/CT-1
Very reasonable price compared to the analog ones at the hydro shops. Can't find a retailer in Ontario though.

I've got a test going with the same clones, one in a ppk with turface and one in promix. So far the ppk is impressive and simple.

icdog

Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternative to the tuff tub 7 gallon that d9 uses. I am having a hard time finding any in Ontario. A retailer can bring some in but they are out of stock and it will take awhile.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Sorry I didn't give more details, was on the way outa the house.

What your looking t was a glass mason jar where I lifted the soil/root ball out and put glass beads below the soil and filled it with water.

My understanding is ppk at a high level is growing a hydro plant outside of the water itself and either pump it over the roots or wick it up?

Good luck with finding a good & affordable medium. Love that people like you are pushing the boundaries towards the next leap in growing. Thank you

Budelight

hey, i don't think that quite qualifies as a ppk, but it's close!

thank you!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9 sorry to be clogging up your thread man, it just seems like the spot for centralized ppk info right now.

We've been discussing mediums a lot. I found this post on garden web which has a lot of good info about soil drainage and PWT. Most of it will be familiar to to the ppk experts but for the new guys it's a really nice primer:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg1221344425812.html?40

It definitely helped me understand why my plants were choking in the coco, even amended heavily, and why the perlite drainage layer in the tails contributed to the problem instead of helping.
Also contains a couple mixes which could be tried out in a ppk, the gritty mix looks like it might work pretty good!

"The gritty mix:

1 part uncomposted screened pine or fir bark (1/8-1/4")
1 part screened Turface
1 part crushed Gran-I-Grit (grower size) or #2 cherrystone
1 Tbsp gypsum per gallon of soil (eliminate if your fertilizer has Ca)
CRF (if desired) "

probably get rid of the gypsum and CRF for our purposes.

some great discussions by Al at gardenweb but everything there, including the gritty mix, is pretty much aimed at hand watered containers.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
my first 100% turface rootball in a wide ride tub.

the second pic is the top of the medium with the loose gravel knocked off.

in the third pic i took a saw and cut a wedge out of it down to the center.

i'll let it air dry and shake the turface out and clean it for reuse.

these roots never saw temps lower than 79f and ran as high as 84f in the veg chamber.

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Does anybody have any suggestions for an alternative to the tuff tub 7 gallon that d9 uses. I am having a hard time finding any in Ontario. A retailer can bring some in but they are out of stock and it will take awhile.

Someone had mentioned using a oil pan as the top basin in a previous thread.

real ting

You could really use any tub that's sturdy and has enough space.

Lowes has the 10 gallon rugged totes, great for a top container, 8.5" tall, you could cut it down or fill less if you want a smaller container. Not lightproof though, wrap them in some panda film or reflectix if you don't want algae.

There's also half whiskey barrel liners, here's one manufacturer: "real wood 10800"
uveACWZ.jpg

7" tall, 26" diameter. ~8 gallon capacity?
They're made for ponds and planters inside whiskey barrels but are sturdy enough for use without.

my first 100% turface rootball in a wide ride tub.

the second pic is the top of the medium with the loose gravel knocked off.

in the third pic i took a saw and cut a wedge out of it down to the center.

i'll let it air dry and shake the turface out and clean it for reuse.

these roots never saw temps lower than 79f and ran as high as 84f in the veg chamber.

:0
Incredible!

icdog

Thanks for the suggestions. Crane do you know where that link is and are there any example pics? I looked up oil pans and not sure if they would work.
Ting, those liners would work but they are about 18 bucks each. I can get the tuff stuff or 10 bucks each, I'm trying to keep it to 5-6 bucks each if I can. I thought of a tote or a rubbermaid but not sure if they are strong enough for a tree and that much turface.
Any other suggestions?

My test ppk is doing really well, the secondary shoot growth is excellent.

icdog

That sounds like it would be useful, I tried to find some but they were not suitable. Its frustrating to find things in Canada when in the US anything is available.

D9 commented that a low height container is good but I'm thinking I might just get some 7 gallon buckets and try out a full flower. Any reason why they wouldn't work nearly as well?

Just found some round drain pans at crap tire but they are only 8 litre. Need 7 gallon or so.

SecondAttempt

icdog,

I'm using 18 quart Sterilite dishpans... so far so good but D9 did advise against them. We'll see how they hold up when I switch to Turface next grow.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
^This guys right.

I grew big ppk plants in just 3.5 gallons

(good to see ya Disciple)

Lower and wider are better.

Latest posts

Latest posts