What's new

big plant ppk

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
aquarium gravel sounds believable. maybe you're cleaning it for all the members of your bonsai club.

this stuff is not recognized as a stand alone plant medium in general agriculture and no one sells it for hydro apps.

my slide is extreme but it can't even be seen from the road. and i'm about paint it forest green.

arcillite is being used in planted fish tanks.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey D9 I've just finished a test ppk and have a question about turface.
You said you use fibreglass at the bottom of the tailpiece. That stuff is pretty tight, how much does it matter if stuff less then a window screen hole size is in the system? Does it clog somehow?
How clean does the turface have to be, what happens if it isn't clean?

I'm very keen to try this out.

i don't use fiberglass, i use fiberglass window screen. it flows freely.

just clean until it mostly runs clear. every time you turn it over some fine particle comes out of the pores.

and this will go on forever. 5 years from now when you clean it again to get the roots out some more fine stuff comes out.

you just need to get the bulk of it on the first pass. the cleaner it is the more plant available water it will retain so it's in your best interest to clean the shit out of it the first time.

Last edited:

SecondAttempt

I'm about half done with my 33 lb bag... looks like I will end up with about 6 gallons of media. I don't think I'm using the right screen, I've gotten rid of the tiniest particles but there is some pretty small stuff left in the mix. It's regular fiberglass window screen, I couldn't find anything different at Lowes, to be honest I didn't search too hard. I will check the porosity and report back, that will tell us if it's screened enough?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I'm about half done with my 33 lb bag... looks like I will end up with about 6 gallons of media. I don't think I'm using the right screen, I've gotten rid of the tiniest particles but there is some pretty small stuff left in the mix. It's regular fiberglass window screen, I couldn't find anything different at Lowes, to be honest I didn't search too hard. I will check the porosity and report back, that will tell us if it's screened enough?

aluminum window screen for cleaning.

fiberglass window screen for the tailpieces.

i only got 4 gals from the same bag using aluminum screen. that is the sizing that produces a 33% air porosity.

SecondAttempt

son of a bitch... the holes in the aluminum stuff didn't look any bigger, but then again I'm sure it's microns difference that count.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I did the test on that lava stone I mentioned previously.

Tested at 44% air porosity. This was however without any screening or washing.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I'll have to get back to you on that.

I only got a sandwich baggie full to check it out from someone I know in the bonsai trade.

I can likely get a decent deal on it, but I imagine it'd be a lot more costly then floor dry. I have no idea at the moment though.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'll have to get back to you on that.

I only got a sandwich baggie full to check it out from someone I know in the bonsai trade.

I can likely get a decent deal on it, but I imagine it'd be a lot more costly then floor dry. I have no idea at the moment though.

I bought a bag of MVP from a bonsai site, $40 delivered. screened it, 1.5, 3.5 gallon buckets. very expensive. bonsai girls and boys dont use as much in there indever.:tiphat:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
bad choice

bad choice

the moltan oil spill products are crap! i won't be using it because it has broken down and developed a muddy feel.

this is after the screening and the very thorough washing.

i left the 4 gallons out in the rain for the last 24 hours and today i went to pot up a plant and it has a slippery muddy texture and it breaks easily just by rolling it lightly through your fingers.

i'm not putting a plant in it.

mcfly420

this stuff is not recognized as a stand alone plant medium in general agriculture and no one sells it for hydro apps

thats why im a fan...I recently went with the pros choice SELECT 1-2mm for 12.50 a 50lb bag, and there was a 2 for 1 deal/mistake:thank you: Almost no particles fall through the screen but the lack of 2-4mm particles means it will break down into >1mm pieces slightly faster. After the turface has been used several times, does an additional screening produce anything worth mentioning?

SecondAttempt

the moltan oil spill products are crap! i won't be using it because it has broken down and developed a muddy feel.

i left the 4 gallons out in the rain for the last 24 hours and today i went to pot up a plant and it has a slippery muddy texture and it breaks easily just by rolling it lightly through your fingers.

Soooooooooo 7133 is out?

bobblehead

Veteran

Not that I doubt you... But I'll test this to confirm. Be back tomorrow night.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
thats why im a fan...I recently went with the pros choice SELECT 1-2mm for 12.50 a 50lb bag, and there was a 2 for 1 deal/mistake:thank you: Almost no particles fall through the screen but the lack of 2-4mm particles means it will break down into >1mm pieces slightly faster. After the turface has been used several times, does an additional screening produce anything worth mentioning?

very interesting about not much falling through the screen. could i talk you into doing the simple porosity test i showed earlier?

the profile arcillite does not break down much at all. every time you rinse a batch for re-use a little fine material is left. but not much.

i think now, after experiencing the oil dry stuff, that the products from all manufacturers that are designed for sports field and golf courses are probably fired at a higher temp to better withstand repeated use.

and that is probably why it cost more, too, as it would require a higher energy input to make it.

i reused mine for a 7 year period and then ditched it in the move last year. i'm going to reuse it from now on. i think folks could buy 2.5 times their working volume one time and not have to replenish for quite a while.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Soooooooooo 7133 is out?

for me it is! it turns soft fast.

this is the "oil absorbent" from autozone that i showed a pic of earlier.

according to moltan, all eight of their spill control brands from the middleton mine are exactly the same thing.

but possibly they fired some of it at a higher temp, who knows without checking?

Latest posts

Latest posts