IMG_3205Small.jpg

IMG_3213Small.jpg

IMG_3209Small.jpg

IMG_3215Small.jpg

ganja_hasi

natural mystic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some amber impressions ..thx to jump117 for the inspirational amber work :yes: and not to compare with the artwork which he shared with us,..

here we go...
picture.php

after the shot above, I've turned the lights off and placed the "model" in front of the monitor ...to have a look on ICMag :biggrin:
picture.php

:bongsmi:

vapeman24

Green Crack OD - I decided to make this into a shatter because it didn't have a great taste, and shatter always has a smoother taste so it works better if you're not working with bud that tastes great to begin with. I used the whole nugs, lightly broken apart, and the end result was a light amber shatter, looks exactly like dried maple syrup or tree sap. It instantly melts into oil as soon as heat is applied and has a very smooth taste, with the taste of the bud lightly coming through. Very energetic high just like the bud. I did not get a very good return though, maybe 15-16%.

DSC_0108.jpg

Northern Lights - With this batch I decided to grind the bud to get a better return. This one turned out a darker color amber with a slight green haze to it. Again, because the bud didn't taste that great I decided to make it into shatter so the taste would be less prevalent with the same amount of potency. This one is also very smooth with a light sweet taste to it. Gives a nice body high with some good energy as well. With this batch I got about an 17-18% return.

DSC_0109.jpg

Berry White OG (75%) x Bob Marley's Lambsbread (25%) - With this batch I used Berry White OG LARF. I made this into a hard taffy. It will shatter at room temp, but as soon as you start working with it a little bit it is easily malleable. As you can see it is very light in color and the smell is fantastic. I would describe the color as "Blonde Amber". Some of the tastiest BHO I have had yet to be honest. The Berry white comes through on the initial exhale and the Lambsbread really comes through with the aftertaste. This is a super expansive smoke and it is a really hard hitting sativa. I got almost a 20% return on this batch.

DSC_01112.jpg

This is the same oil you see above that I turned into Budder. Again, the smell is really pungent with this little concentrate and the affects are the same as the taffy, just a different consistency. I personally prefer the taffy because you can work with it with your hands and I think it tastes a little better.

DSC_0110.jpg

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
20% return?? yeah right. gonna have to show some serious details of your process to prove this.

I've been making BHO constantly for the last 6 months, like running at least 3-4 batches a week and at most like 10 batches a week, with large amounts of very good trim and nugs, and haven't touched that kind of yield. I've hit 13.5%, 20% seems highly unlikely.

any of you heavy hitters wanna chime in?

vapeman24

20% return?? yeah right. gonna have to show some serious details of your process to prove this.

I've been making BHO constantly for the last 6 months, like running at least 3-4 batches a week and at most like 10 batches a week, with large amounts of very good trim and nugs, and haven't touched that kind of yield. I've hit 13.5%, 20% seems highly unlikely.

If you are only hitting 13.5% with very good trim and nugs then you are doing something wrong. The Green Crack and Northern lights were made from, at best, very low mid-grade OD bud. Not much trichrome coverage or smell.

Here is my process:

11-inch stainless steel pipe
1/2 Oz dried bud (almost crunchy)
Freeze loaded tube with bud inside
Lightly warm butane can to increase pressure (no idea if this helps)
Run butane for 5 seconds after it starts shooting clear

I have never gotten below 14%, and it's not like I am doing anything fancy. I don't even know of anybody personally who hasn't gotten at least 16% from "very good" trim or bud. I have seen as high as 23% returns too. Maybe you should describe your process?

vapeman24

Heck, even in the thread where it shows you how to make BHO it states you can get up to 6g's (21%) from an ounce.

Plant Material

This is the most important factor if you wish to achieve high quality honey oil, Good fresh dried uncrushed bud makes the best honey oil, and you should easily achieve clear oil using uncrushed buds. Grind them up and do a second extraction to get a lower grade “B” wash, not as tasty or clear like the first batch.

Butane extracts the smell from the plant material, so if you have some great smelling buds the oil will also take on that smell. If you use bad smelling or tasting plant material, you will get bad tasting oil.

Using crappy plant material can also result in low yield a, remember "what you put it is what you get out".
1oz high quality 12oz butane needed 3-6g expected yield
1oz average 10oz butane 2-4g yield
1oz low grade(schwag) 9oz butane 2-3g yield
1oz high quality trim 12oz butane 3-5g
1oz trim and leaves 10oz butane 2-5g
1oz fan leaves 8oz butane 1-2g

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
yeah, 21% from straight high grade buds ground up using 2 cans of butane for an oz. personally i like to smoke all of my smokeable nugs, and run bho with any popcorn nugs and shake. and i've never run that small of a run. but I know I would never run 3 1/2 cans of butane through my okief 44g tube. sometimes I only need 3 with with my 150g XL tube.

lets see some before and after shots of your runs. the material you use, and the amount of product it produces. i'm just having a hard time believing this.

vapeman24

yeah, 21% from straight high grade buds ground up using 2 cans of butane for an oz. personally i like to smoke all of my smokeable nugs, and run bho with any popcorn nugs and shake. and i've never run that small of a run. but I know I would never run 3 1/2 cans of butane through my okief 44g tube. sometimes I only need 3 with with my 150g XL tube.

lets see some before and after shots of your runs. the material you use, and the amount of product it produces. i'm just having a hard time believing this.

Sorry, but I am not really willing to go out of my way to prove my yields to you with elaborate pictures and diagrams haha. I have seen PLENTY of people getting 17%-20% using good quality bud/trim. This is what I look for in bud that I want turned into BHO:

1) Trichrome Coverage - This speaks for itself. If you don't see a good covering of trichromes you won't get a good return %. Granted, trichromes don't always tell the whole story, bud they sure as hell are a good indicator of the quality of bud
2) Smell - BHO, if made correctly and depending on the consistency (shatter, budder, taffy), will bring out the taste of the bud so having something that smells/tastes good is always a plus.
3) Moisture - I always completely dry out my bud before I run it, so there is no point in getting an ounce of bud that is really moist if it is going to lose allot of it's weight when I dry it. If I start with something dry I get more product for my money, where if I start with something moist I might only have 23-25 grams to start with.

I usually use one can of 300ml 5x butane per oz, sometimes a little more. Maybe we just have a different opinion of what "good" bud/trim is.

Just from observation I can tell that the trim used to make this was either low quality (high % of plant matter over THC) or it was grinded allot probably prior to running the butane.

picture.php

picture.php

That's probably why it is so waxy because it has allot more of the plant waxes I assume. I used LARF for mine and when I ran the butane it came out almost clear and did not look brown like that. It only looked slightly golden once the majority of butane was purged. Maybe my trim is just better? I don't know what to tell you, but from my experiences 13.5% seems very low if you are truly using high quality trim/bud. Hopefully more people chime in with some opinions. I could be wrong, but my scale don't lie :dunno:

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
yes, those runs were mass runs from outdoor nugs and trim. and it was ground up finely to yield more. of course more trichomes would yield more. but i've even added kief into runs before and not yielded even close to 20%. unless you're using straight nugget of the most resinous shit around and grinding it up, I don't see pulling 20%. 1/5 of all of the material present in your tube is trichomes?

G

Guest 150314

Are you using a honey bee or your own extraction tube? A friend recommend using a tube that was smaller in diameter so I made one about 3/4ths of a inch and now I yield almost double than with the honey bee.

You should be able to pull 20% easily from indoor nice frosty buds, last run I got 15% from good larf and bottoms. The freshness or moisture content is also a factor, something to do with the terpenes/essential oils.

Maybe D-note will chime in here .. he got 35% return from a really nice batch of rockstar aka reefermans OG x lemon thai

I don't think your BHO return is a accurate measure of the THC content, in a way it is but the high returns seem to come from sticky oily stinky funky plants aka high levels of terpenes or essential oils. Maybe try purging at a lower temp and you will evaporate less terpenes = higher yield

just ramblin'

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
35% return? seriously. thats not even possible. at least 35% of the material would have to be pure resin. lets see some before and after shots of these 20%+ yields so i can have something to aspire to. here i was just trying to make shit that looks and tastes good. who knew I could have 10-25% more of it somehow...

as i stated in my post before that. I have both the okief II which holds up to 44g and the okief XL which holds up 150g of material. the II is 1" diameter tubes and the XL is a single 2" diameter tube.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
KKSC trim and popcorn nugs

KKSC trim and popcorn nugs

heres my latest run. made 6g of wax from around 40-45g of Strawberry Cough trim and popcorn nugs.

picture.php

picture.php

G

Guest 150314

35% return? seriously. thats not even possible. at least 35% of the material would have to be pure resin. lets see some before and after shots of these 20%+ yields so i can have something to aspire to. here i was just trying to make shit that looks and tastes good. who knew I could have 10-25% more of it somehow...

as i stated in my post before that. I have both the okief II which holds up to 44g and the okief XL which holds up 150g of material. the II is 1" diameter tubes and the XL is a single 2" diameter tube.

Dude relax I wasn't hating and it's not a competition... you must not have read my post, the butane is extracting more than just resin and cannabinoids .. it's getting essential oils and terpenes .. if you purge to hot these will evaporate.

I guarantee if you do a gas cannabinoid test on a sample and made BHO from the same sample you would get totally conflicting information.

Maybe D-note took pictures I am not sure but what I can say for sure is I have made BHO from strains that looked extremely frosty dusted in snow look and got unexpectedly small returns, did others that were more sticky or oily and been shocked.

outdoor nugs and trim
That is why, try it with indoor nugs and do smaller runs in a smaller tube .. try a can of colibri to a ounce of buds. I wouldn't have figured any of this out myself, would have taken much trial and error and I honestly probably would have given up because it blows to spend 6 bucks on a can of 'tane and good product to get a pathetic amount of oil.

Latest posts

Latest posts