What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article149599239.html

New butane restrictions add roadblock to making hash oil in Sacramento County
BY ELLEN GARRISON
egarrison@sacbee.com

Butane has long fueled camp stoves and cigarette lighters. But some residents are buying gallons of the gas for another purpose – producing the marijuana concentrate known as hash oil.

For that reason, Sacramento County Supervisor Phil Serna questions why liquor stores stock large quantities of butane, as he’s noticed in the South Oak Park neighborhood in his district.

Serna and other supervisors unanimously voted Tuesday to limit the amount of butane that retailers in the county can sell to 600 milliliters, roughly equal to a British pint glass. The ordinance also would require local sellers to log the sale date, quantity and customer information. Residents will only be able to possess 600 milliliters at any given time.

County leaders are particularly concerned that explosions linked to butane hash oil labs have been on the rise for the last decade.

“That caused me to reflect on whether or not my constituents are in that much of a dire need for that much butane,” Serna said. “Knowing what I know about the process for extracting cannabinoids. ... I saw the need immediately for there to be some sort of intervention.”

Hash oil, sometimes called honey oil, is made by cramming marijuana into a tube and running butane through it. That strips THC – the ingredient that produces a high – from the plant matter.

The liquid that comes out the tube’s bottom is then heated to evaporate the butane. What remains is a waxy substance that can be smoked, used in edibles or placed in e-cigarettes.

The evaporation part of the process can be deadly. Refined butane vapor is clear, odorless and heavier than air, so it sinks to the ground and can gather in enclosed spaces. It’s highly flammable, so any tiny flare is enough to cause an explosion, such as a spark from a wall outlet or a refrigerator motor.

Components of a butane hash oil lab are fairly inexpensive and tutorials on making the substance are easy to come by – a Google search turns up dozens of how-to guides.

Sacramento Fire Department Captain Mike Feyh said one or two 300-milliliter cans hold enough butane to blow up an entire apartment. He said some makers don’t realize that if there’s a leak in their system, a spark is all that’s needed to cause an explosion.

Dr. David Greenhalgh, chief of the burn division at UC Davis Medical Center, said patients tied to butane explosions began showing up in the burn ward around 2007. Since then, the number of patients per year has grown to about 30 out of 400, about 7 percent of all burn patients.

While average patients have burns on 8 percent to 10 percent of their bodies, people caught in butane explosions have burns on 30 percent of their body on average, he said. In some cases, burns cover 70 to 90 percent of a patient’s body.

Hospital stays for burns work out to roughly a day per percent burned, he said.

“They can be in for five, six, seven months in critical care units,” Greenhalgh said. “We’re talking lots of money. ... They’re not always the highest-insured kinds of people.”

Greenhalgh said exact numbers are hard to determine because people in butane explosions sometimes lie about the source of the fire. He compared the proliferation of hash oil labs to methamphetamine labs in the 1990s that relied on the cold drug pseudoephedrine.

“When they got control of the pseudoephedrine, they stopped having that (meth lab explosion) problem,” Greenhalgh said. Federal Drug Enforcement Administration statistics show incidents involving meth labs fell from 180 in California in 2010 to 47 in 2014.

The Sacramento County ordinance is on track to take effect June 22. It will ban sales of butane over 600 milliliters in Sacramento County, but a three-pack of 300 milliliter cans is available on Amazon for $19.99. The gas can legally be used to refill lighters and power camp stoves.

The ordinance does not restrict the purchase of butane with odor added – the smell lingers in the hash oil, so manufacturers don’t use it.

Feyh is working with Assemblyman Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, and firefighter organizations to pass Assembly Bill 1120, which would put the same regulations in place statewide. The bill is currently in the Assembly Appropriations Committee.

Feyh said butane hash oil labs used to be more of a rural problem, and cities such as Red Bluff and Eureka passed ordinances restricting butane. But recently, labs have emerged in more suburbs and urban areas, he said.

“People could be doing it next door and you would never know,” he said.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.timescall.com/news/crime/ci_31030645/longmont-man-suspected-hash-oil-explosion-faces-arson

Longmont man suspected in hash oil explosion faces arson charge, 3 felonies
By Amelia Arvesen
POSTED: 06/01/2017 03:20:22 PM MDT | UPDATED: A DAY AGO

The second man arrested in connection with a Longmont hash oil explosion that burned a shed last October was bound over for trial Thursday morning.

Andrew Allen Ziegenfelder, 30, waived his preliminary hearing at the Boulder County Justice Center, and is to be arraigned arraignment June 23.

Ziegenfelder was arrested and charged in February. He is facing charges of hazardous extraction of marijuana concentrate, processing or manufacturing marijuana or marijuana concentrate, and possession with intent to manufacture or distribute marijuana or marijuana concentrate, all felonies.

He also faces a charge of fourth-degree arson, a misdemeanor.

His co-defendant is Paul Allen Garrett, 34, who is charged with hazardous extraction of marijuana concentrate, hazardous substance of marijuana concentrate on premises, possession with intent to manufacture or distribute marijuana or marijuana concentrate, and processing or manufacturing marijuana or marijuana concentrate.

His arraignment is scheduled for June 9.

The investigation into the house at 1035 Baker St. in Longmont began after neighbors reported a fire the evening of Oct. 8.
According to an arrest affidavit, Ziegenfelder told officers who responded to the fire that he was in the process of finalizing a butane oil extraction of several pounds of marijuana with Garrett, but during the process, a source of ignition caused butane vapors trapped in the unventilated shed to explode.

Police said Garrett had singed facial and leg hair, while Ziegenfelder received burns to his face, hands and back. He was taken to the hospital.

Investigators found a medium-sized residential grow operation in the house, where Garrett was the primary resident.

In Longmont in 2013, police said they believed an attempt to extract hash oil caused an explosion in a James Circle garage, with three men still dealing with flames and burning items when police arrived at the scene.

Police arrested all three on suspicion of arson and conspiracy to commit arson.

jedi5891

I thought I'd share this story as it happened to me. Thankfully the fire didn't get out of hand and I learnt from my mistake and am here to tell you the story.
It was about 4 or 5 years ago and I'm at my mates who I used to work with at his flat on the top floor. As he had no garden we would make the BHO in his kitchen and purge the Oil over a big bowl of hot water. So I boiled the kettle and did the extraction on the surface next to the kettle on the side board. So I clicked the kettle to boil again quickly and once boiled the switch clicking off ignited the fumes. Thankfully after a frantic minute or two we manged to put out the fire. Needless to say we lost the oil.
Stay safe kids

Peace

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Up date on previous explosion and fire.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/06/03/failed-hash-oil-extraction-caused-april-warehouse-explosion/

Local
Failed Hash-Oil Extraction Caused April Warehouse Explosion
June 3, 2014 6:54 PM

DENVER (CBS4) - The attempted extraction of marijuana hash oil caused last month’s explosion at a Denver warehouse, CBS4 has learned.
Two men and a woman were burned in the butane-gas explosion at a “grow-your-own” marijuana facility on South Lipan Street.
No charges have been filed, but Denver police and the city’s fire department are investigating.
Gases trapped beneath a canopy ignited, causing the blast, arson investigators told CBS4. The facility rented tables for $350 for pot entrepreneurs to grow their own product and extract the hash oil, a process that uses butane gas.
At the Lipan location, investigators found more than 100 marijuana plants and pot cooking in pressure cooker-type devices. Boxes of butane canisters were also discovered.
Denver and state laws require medical-infused product licenses and permits to process extractions.
The explosion is one of several recent incidents in the metro area since the legalization of recreational pot. It’s unclear whether those involved in April’s accident obtained permits for hash extraction, which creates a stronger high through concentrated marijuana oil.

I can see no electric fans in the debris of the fire and explosion. This explosion is one that was outside but under a tent like covering so that the butane fumes weren't dispersed by wind or outside fans. For less than $200 fans would have stopped the accumulation of the fumes, three people were burned.

Burns of a 2nd and 3rd Degree type associated with Butane type explosions below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2nd...7Aqa_2QXS04CoDQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1345&bih=841

"I can see no electric fans in the debris of the fire and explosion. This explosion is one that was outside but under a tent like covering so that the butane fumes weren't dispersed by wind or outside fans. For less than $200 fans would have stopped the accumulation of the fumes, three people were burned."

These Lasko box fans are less than $20 each from any Walmart or home improvement center in the US. I lashed them together with some cord, cable ties would have been even easier.

Use the fans on one side pushing air through the space.

The switches on the fans can spark, turn them on before extracting and don't turn them off until you're sure the butane has dissipated.

Even if you're outside you must ensure there is no nearby source of ignition.

See Figure 2, page 6 of this presentation, the exhaust fan isn't necessary if you're getting good positive pressure flow through from the inlet fans. https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r4c9u7tnlsk5kx/BHOfacility1.pdf

If you're thinking about extracting in your garage, think long and hard on it, imo even with fans you just can't get decent flow through.

I'm quoting the above as a repost. The stack of three $20 fans pictured is placed in a doorway with a cardboard baffle to exert positive pressure airflow on the extraction space, forcing any vapors out via an open doorway. Sources of ignition still must be eliminated. I put my ass on the line posting this only in the hope I never read another story of anyone working with flammable solvents in an unventilated enclosed space. :)

Attachments

• P1010217.jpg
    P1010217.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 29

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://ktla.com/2017/06/18/2-suspe...na-honey-oil-lab-explosion-in-south-el-monte/

2 Suspects Injured During Marijuana ‘Honey Oil’ Lab Explosion in South El Monte
POSTED 4:12 PM, JUNE 18, 2017, BY MARIEL TURNER AND JOHN FENOGLIO, UPDATED AT 07:01PM, JUNE 18, 2017

Two people were injured during a marijuana extraction laboratory explosion that caused $80,000 worth of damage in South El Monte on Sunday, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Deputies and Los Angeles County firefighters were called to a motel in the 1200 block of Durfee Avenue around 12:37 a.m. There, they found several motel rooms on fire.

After the flames were extinguished, investigators recovered evidence at the scene and determined that a possible "honey oil" marijuana extraction lab was being operated at the motel, the Department said.

Two suspects suffered burn injuries from the fire and were detained and transported to a local hospital. A dog was also transported to a local veterinarian hospital for treatment of burn injuries, authorities added.

"It's extremely dangerous. About one-third of the labs we go to have already exploded," said Detective Scott Schulze. "In this case there's two people in the hospital and there's a dog that was taken to the vet because of injuries."

A third suspect with possible burn injuries may have fled the scene prior to deputies arrival, investigators said.

Attachments

• 2115764_800x450.jpg
    2115764_800x450.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.38.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.38.13 PM.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you to all who have kept this going!!! So glad I started this!! Go Rosin! Go safe!!

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
The fact this happens so often is mind blowing. Us humans not quite as smart as we would like to believe. Here in Canada, us medical people can't even make, buy, or use shatter/BHO legally because of people blowing themselves up. I got a chunk of shatter to smoke on anyway, and hopefully no one was injured in the making! Take care everyone, a little thought goes a long way, in every aspect of life.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.theunion.com/news/local-...b-explosion-sent-to-hospital-authorities-say/

Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
Alan Riquelmy
June 23, 2017

A suspected butane honey lab explosion sent a man to the hospital early Friday with burns covering his body, authorities said.

Police and firefighters responded around 1:30 a.m. to Smith Lane, near the 15000 black of Indian Springs Road, after several people reported an explosion and fire. They found a burning trailer after arriving, as well as a man with burns over his body, sheriff's Lt. Bill Smethers said.

"He made spontaneous statements to the deputies that he was cooking butane honey oil," the lieutenant said.

The man, whose identity hasn't been released, was life-flighted to UC Davis for his injuries. His condition is unknown, Smethers said.

Firefighters attacked the trailer fire, stopping it from damaging any other buildings. The trailer, a shed and a hoop house are the only structures on the property, Smethers added.

Deputies obtained a search warrant for the land, executing it around 9:45 a.m., Smethers said.

Inside the hoop house authorities found 76 mature marijuana plants. They discovered a vacuum-purge oven, broken glass extension tubes, used butane canisters and marijuana shake inside the trailer's remains, Smethers said.

Twenty-five exploded butane canisters and 40 pounds of burned marijuana shake also were discovered, he added.

"Additionally, three burned-out firearms were found in the remains of the trailer," Smethers said.

The burned man could face charges in connection to the suspected lab and explosion, the lieutenant said.

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/s...-parental-rights-following-fire-investigation

State looks to terminate mother's parental rights following fire investigation
by Meghan Morelli
Thursday, July 6th 2017

WEXFORD COUNTY, Mi. (WPBN/WGTU) — The mother of two boys who were severely burned in a motel explosion appeared in court Thursday for the first time.

Fire investigators believe that Amanda Skardoutos is responsible for the fire that broke out in May at the Green Mill Motel in Manton.

Criminal charges have not been filed yet and the Wexford County Prosecutor says the police investigation is still not complete.

However the state has filed a petition to terminate Scardoutus' parental rights of her three children.

Skardoutos was in court via a live video feed from a Grand Rapids hospital.

She and her two children, 13-year-old Brian Adams and 11-year-old Marcus Thomas, are still recovering from the blaze.

An explosion at the Green Mill Motel in Manton began in a room where Brian and Marcus had been staying with their mother.

"The fire grew a little bit out of control once it hit an underground gas meter, that sort of fed the fire," said SPL/SGT. Daniel Drew of the MSP Fire Investigation Unit.

Drew was brought in to try and determine a cause and origin of the fire.

A Child Protective Services investigator testified Thursday on the results of Drew's investigation.

"Based on the information and evidence available at the time of this investigation, the cause of the fire is the direct result of careless manufacture and/or processing of concentrated hash oil through the use of butane -- commonly known as a butane hash oil (BHO) explosion," Shaun VanAgtmael read from the report.

According to that same report, investigators found evidence of butane hash oil production in Scardoutos' room.

"There was also two search warrants conducted by law enforcement of the burnt remains of the motel," said VanAgtmael. "Items used in the production of butane hash oil were found with the search warrants."

According to VanAgtmael, during an interview, Skardoutos "admitted to making butane hash oil while living in Detroit approximately 3-4 months before the interview occurred."

It's on those grounds that the state is requesting that Skardoutos no longer have parental rights over her three children.

Brian remains in a hospital in Boston.

His father, Robert Adams, tells 7&4 News that Brian is now able to respond to 'yes' and 'no' questions, and is starting to move his legs and arms.

According to a report, more than 70 percent of his body was burned in the fire.

"It's just a hard situation to even swallow that she's still sitting there and denying things. I just don't understand that," said Adams.

Marcus continues to recover at a hospital in Grand Rapids after suffering burns to nearly 50% of his body.

His father, Paul Thomas, says Marcus' legs were impacted the most, but that he continues to fight and make improvements.

"Hopefully she is just held accountable for all of her actions," Thomas said.

Both fathers were emotional in court Thursday as the CPS investigator recounted the events from the night of the fire.

Scardoutos has a third child, a 7-year-old girl, who was not at the motel during the time of the fire.

The judge allowed the state to file the parental rights petition.

The children have been placed in protective custody pending further proceedings.

Go Fund Me Pages have been set up to help the families of both boys.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.ktva.com/hash-oil-lab-explosion-investigation-continues-645/

Hash oil lab explosion investigation continues
By Steffi Lee Photojournalist: Beth Peak - 6:51 PM July 6, 2017

Anchorage Police say an illegal hash oil laboratory is what caused an apartment explosion Saturday.

Jivka Stankovoci lives a few doors down from the apartment where it happened on the 4500 block of Folker Street.

The explosion blew out windows and doors at the apartment and remains boarded up. Captain Richard Minkler with the Anchorage Fire Department says homemade butane hash oil labs like the one that was inside the apartment are dangerous.

“Anytime it’s done in an indoor area, if there’s any electricity or any type of spark, maybe from a cigarette, the refrigerator or the washing machine, the stove, any kind of heating source, there’s a potential for the explosion,” Minkler said.

In 2015, the Anchorage Assembly passed a law making it illegal for anyone to create marijuana extractions, such as hash oil, by using flammable gases, or through use of a solvent-based extraction method using a substance other than vegetable glycerin. That’s unless you’re a licensed and permitted manufacturer.

Minkler said explosions like this have been rare but shouldn’t be taken lightly due to the public safety threat they create.

A spokesperson with the Anchorage Police Department said Wednesday authorities are still investigating the case and haven’t made arrests. The man who was inside the apartment where the explosion happened was taken to the hospital for treatment and there were no other injuries.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-man-injured-in-suspected-hash-oil-explosion/

Clark County man injured in suspected hash-oil explosion

Originally published July 14, 2017 at 10:48 am Updated July 14, 2017 at 11:00 am

Butane and propane vapors exploded when the 40-year-old victim lit a cigarette in his apartment, a fire marshal said.

By The Associated Press

HAZEL DELL, Clark County — A man has been hospitalized after suffering burns from an explosion that fire officials suspect was caused by an attempt to extract hash oil at his apartment.

The Columbian reports the man suffered burns to his face and hands and remained intubated and sedated on Thursday in a Portland hospital’s burn center.

Clark County Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Young says that when the 40-year-old man lit a cigarette in his apartment on Sunday, it exploded butane and propane vapors.

Young says the vapors were suspected to have come from the marijuana-extraction process used to produce hash oil.

Young said the fire was put out by sprinklers.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://abc7.com/news/honey-oil-explosion-destroys-wildomar-house/2234678/

Fiery honey oil explosion destroys Wildomar house, shakes neighborhood
By Leticia Juarez
Wednesday, July 19, 2017 06:00PM

WILDOMAR, Calif. (KABC) -- A fiery explosion likely caused by an illegal honey oil lab destroyed a home, sent butane canisters flying and rocked a neighborhood in Wildomar early Wednesday.

Multiple canisters of butane - one of the main chemicals used to extract THC from marijuana to produce honey oil - were seen on the ground outside the home in the 33000 block of East Harvest Way.

Sheriff's investigators say they also found a marijuana grow in the backyard.

Neighbors reported seeing multiple fireballs, seeing canisters fly around the area and hearing an explosion that felt like an earthquake.

"That truck blew up twice," said Enrique Mata, who lives next door to the home. "Those canisters were just shooting all over the place. We were standing way over there and you could still feel the fire."

The fire destroyed several rooms in Mata's home shortly after he and his family evacuated.
It took 28 firefighters to put out the blaze, which was reported around 4 a.m.

At least one person was airlifted to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center's burn unit with burns to 40 percent of his body. He was listed in stable condition.

The explosion came less than a day after the Riverside County District Attorney's Office launched a new public-information campaign to warn about the dangers of honey oil labs. The campaign's public-service announcements feature a Moreno Valley couple who suffered severe burns after trying to make honey oil in a Palm Springs motel.

Honey oil, or hash oil, is a concentrated form of marijuana that resembles honey and is inhaled as a vapor.

Attachments

• P1030843.jpg
    P1030843.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 32
  • P1030842.jpg
    P1030842.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030841.jpg
    P1030841.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030840.jpg
    P1030840.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030838.jpg
    P1030838.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P1030844.jpg
    P1030844.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030845.jpg
    P1030845.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 29
  • P1030846.jpg
    P1030846.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 34
  • P1030848.jpg
    P1030848.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P1030849.jpg
    P1030849.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• P1030855.jpg
    P1030855.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 34
  • P1030854.jpg
    P1030854.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P1030853.jpg
    P1030853.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030852.jpg
    P1030852.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030851.jpg
    P1030851.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P1030862.jpg
    P1030862.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030861.jpg
    P1030861.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030860.jpg
    P1030860.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030857.jpg
    P1030857.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 35
  • P1030856.jpg
    P1030856.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Attached screenshots from the second of the Riverside County DA's videos linked to above.

Posters with these pics placed prominently in every smoke shop that sells butane would be my suggestion. Accompanied by, "Please leave BHO extraction to professionals. BHO extractions done indoors without full forced ventilation in a lab setting is suicidal."

But it seems it's too late for that in California, butane restriction legislation is on track to pass this year.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1120

SECTION 1. Section 11107.2 is added to the Health and Safety Code, to read:

11107.2. (a) It is unlawful for a manufacturer, wholesaler, reseller, retailer, or other person or entity to sell to any one customer more than 600 milliliters of nonodorized butane in any 30-day period.
(b) (1) It is unlawful for manufacturers, wholesalers, resellers, retailers, or other persons or entities to knowingly or negligently sell to any one customer a quantity of nonodorized butane that would cause the customer to exceed 600 milliliters of nonodorized butane purchased from all sellers in any 30-day period.
(2) The reasonable reliance on information contained in the database described in subdivision (g) is an affirmative defense to the crime in this subdivision.
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not be enforced until a database system described in subdivision (g) is operational, as determined by the Department of Justice.
(d) The limitations in subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to any of the following transactions:
(1) Butane sold to manufacturers, wholesalers, resellers, or retailers solely for the purpose of resale.
(2) Butane sold to a person for use in a lawful commercial enterprise, including, but not limited to, a volatile solvent extraction activity licensed under Division 10 (commencing with Section 26000) of the Business and Professions Code or a medical cannabis collective or cooperative described in subdivision (b) of Section 11362.775 of this code, operating in compliance with all applicable state licensing requirements and local regulations governing that type of business.
(3) The sale of lighters, torch lighters or other appliances, or lighter refill canisters that contain or use nonodorized butane and contain less than 150 milliliters of nonodorized butane.
(e) For every sale of nonodorized butane not exempted under subdivision (d) the seller shall record and maintain on the premises of the seller for a period of not less than two years after the date of the sale, the following information:
(1) The name, address, and date of birth of the customer, as obtained from his or her valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo identification.
(2) The date and time of the sale.
(3) The quantity of butane purchased.
(4) The full name of the person who processed the sale.
(f) A violation of any provision of this section is a misdemeanor.
(g) (1) To assist manufacturers, wholesalers, resellers, and retailers in their efforts to monitor the sales of nonodorized butane, the Department of Justice shall, contingent upon the availability of adequate funds and in collaboration with stakeholders representing the sellers of nonodorized butane who are required to report and collect information pursuant to this section, develop and maintain an electronic database system for the electronic monitoring of and Internet access to information regarding the amount of butane purchased by individual customers. The database system will allow retailers to automatically synchronize purchases and provide real time alerts of any purchases in violation of this section, and shall be developed in one of the following three ways:
(A) The database system may be based upon the expansion of an existing electronic database.
(B) The database system may be an existing product, which is available for use by retail sellers of nonodorized butane to customers, as determined by the Department of Justice.
(C) The database system may be a newly created product.
(2) The Department of Justice shall post a notification on its Internet Web site when the database described in paragraph (1) is operational.
(3) All manufacturers, wholesalers, resellers, retailers, or other persons or entities selling nonodorized butane to customers shall keep hard copy records of nonodorized butane sales. Any manufacturer, wholesaler, reseller, retailer, or other person or entity not exempted under subdivision (d) that sells nonodorized butane shall electronically submit a report to the Department of Justice upon request of all sales involving nonodorized butane, including all of the information collected pursuant to subdivision (e).
(h) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) “Customer” means any person or entity other than those described in paragraphs (1) and (2) of subdivision (d) that purchases or acquires nonodorized butane from a seller during a transaction.
(2) “Nonodorized butane” means iso-butane, n-butane, butane, or a mixture of butane and propane of any power that may also use the words “refined,” “pure,” “purified,” “premium,” or “filtered,” to describe the butane or butane mixture, which does not contain ethyl mercaptan or a similar odorant.
(3) “Sell” or “sale” means to furnish, give away, exchange, transfer, deliver, surrender, distribute, or supply, in exchange for money or any other consideration.
(4) “Seller” means any person, business entity, or employee thereof that sells nonodorized butane to any customer within this state.
SEC. 2. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.59.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.59.07 AM.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.01.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.01.45 AM.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.58.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 8.58.00 AM.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://katu.com/news/local/officia...on-site-to-fill-all-lighters-in-city-hash-oil

Officials: Enough butane found at N PDX explosion site to fill all lighters in city
by Kellee Azar, KATU News, Friday, July 28th 2017

PORTLAND, Ore. — After gathering evidence from the scene of a suspected hash oil explosion, officials told KATU News they found enough butane at the site of the explosion to fill all the lighters in Portland.

Two people were killed in the explosion Monday afternoon near Peninsula Park in N Portland; they've been identified as homeowner 42-year-old Matt McCrann and 68-year-old Richard Cisler, who was working as a contractor at the home.

Officials believe McCrann was trying to make butane hash oil. The explosion happened when a large amount of butane came into contact with an ignition source, firefighters said. They have not determined the ignition source.

Investigators searching through the rubble Friday found hundreds of cans of butane along with tanks, pipes and tubing - all products needed to make hash oil.

“We know that this is a very popular product and this is being done all over the city of Portland,” Detective Joe Luiz with Portland Police Bureau said.

Making hash oil without a license is illegal, and extremely dangerous.

“They don't realize that those gasses are escaping into the air or room - anything as slight as static electricity can ignite that explosion,” Luiz said.

The blast was strong enough to shoot debris, including a steal door, across the street. They say it's shocking more people weren't hurt.

“Two people died, and it could have been even worse than that,” Luiz said.

The first responder
Portland firefighter Termaine Clayton was one of the first crews on the scene Monday afternoon after the explosion.

“My captain heard the boom which kind of shook the windows of my station, we were probably 10 blocks away,” Clayton said. “It was surreal, the house just wasn't there."

With the fire quickly spreading to surrounding homes, Clayton and the rest of the firefighters got to work.

“That was pretty intense... I was surprised how quickly the fire was growing... conditions were getting worse, so we backed out,” Clayton said.

https://terppextractors.com/pages/faq-frequently-asked-questions

"Can I run my extractor indoors?
Anytime dangerous, explosive gases (Example: N-Butane, Iso-Butane, N-Propane) are used the work space should be an open, unobstructed, well ventilated area with ABSOLUTELY NO IGNITION SOURCES. We recommend operating our extractors with a hazardous exhaust system to ensure adequate ventilation is always maintained. As ignition of these gases can result in severe injury or death, extreme care should be used at all times."

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/product-safety.html

"EXTRACTOR WARNING

DO NOT OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL. BY PURCHASING/ OPERATING THIS EQUIPMENT, YOU, AS THE OPERATOR AND CONSUMER, ARE ASSUMING ALL RISK AND LIABILITY THAT ARE ASSOCAITED WITH OPERATING THE EQUIPMENT. FAILURE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAN RESULT IN HAZARDOUS CONSEQUENCES, SUCH AS PHYSICAL INJURY TO SELF OR OTHERS, DAMAGE TO SURROUNDING PROPERTY, FIRE, ETC. DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT INDOORS OR IN AREAS WITH LOW FRESH AIR FLOW.

Extractor Disclaimer
All extractors are tested under a vacuum and at pressure prior to shipping. Upon delivery and before EVERY use, the customer must pull a full vacuum and pressurize the system to 90PSI with inert gas prior to operation to ensure assembly is correct and that the unit is functioning. Failure to do so could result in potential solvent leaks, injury, or even death. We are not responsible for failure to test the unit prior to operation.

If a leak is detected after following these guidelines, depressurize the system and inspect the area of the leak for any problems with seals or defects/damage to equipment. Once problem has been identified and resolved, pressurize the system and check for leaks again.

If the problem CANNOT be resolved, do not use the system annd please contact Best Value Vacs immediately at (800) 562-7471 or (331) 281-0154.

WARNING!!!
Contents may be under positive pressure before, during, and even after operation has been complete. NEVER open or disassemble equipment without ensuring that ALL valves are open to relieve any residual pressure. Even if a gauge indicates that the pressure is zero, please ensure that all valves are 100% open before disassembly.

Extractor General Guidelines
Be sure to have a safe and organized work environment, free of obstacles and possible hazards, in an open, well-ventilated area. NEVER operate any form of extractor, including open blast, closed column, or closed loop systems, in a confined space, indoors, or in areas with minimal flow of fresh air. NEVER operate extraction equipment near electrical sources: including outlets, pumps, lights, or heaters.

Prior to operation, ensure that you and the extractor are grounded. Static electricity can result in a potentially dangerous situation. Be sure to take extra precaution during winter months and in dry climates where static electricity has a greater potential to occur. Our tripod and quad-pod design can facilitate improving safety/ grounding.

Prior to operation, please take the necessary safety precautions by wearing safety goggles, a face shield, gloves, protective clothing, and a respirator.

ALWAYS inspect steel components for any potential structural issues. Be sure to inspect all sight glasses/ viewing ports for stress fractures, chips, scratches, and deterioration. Inspect all clamps for thread stripping or stretching. If any of these issues are found, DO NOT USE and contact the manufacturer immediately. If you need to contact the manufacturer, please have the product description available in order for the customer service representative to assist you.

During assembly and disassembly, ensure that all components are directed away from your face and other extremities. ALWAYS pay special attention to the gauges on the system; NEVER assemble or disassemble components while under vacuum or pressure.

NEVER place extractor tubes or Butane tanks containing any form of solvent near exposed wiring, non-insulated motors (non-explosion proof/sparking motors), open flames, or in the refrigerator/freezer. Please be sure to use static dissipative equipment. Failing to follow these instructions may result in a potential explosion.

Never bring concentrates or extracts indoors until the vacuum purging of the solvent has been completed. Never place extracts in purging vessels until all liquid solvents, such as butane, alcohol, and propane, have outgassed into the atmosphere (outdoors). Failing to do so could result in personal injury and property damage."

https://bhogart.com/faqs/

"IS IT SAFE TO RUN MY BHOGART INDOORS?
The answer is the same for all closed loop extraction systems, not just the BHOgart. No, you cannot run your closed loop BHOgart indoors. The cheapest and safest environment is a well-ventilated outdoor area. The only way to run a BHOgart or any other closed loop extractor safely indoors is to run it in a lab certified for explosive gases. Additionally, all of our extractors require a Class 1 Division 2 room that follows all applicable local fire, building, plumbing, and electrical codes."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.28.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-29 at 9.28.11 AM.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://katu.com/news/local/officia...on-site-to-fill-all-lighters-in-city-hash-oil

Officials: Enough butane found at N PDX explosion site to fill all lighters in city
by Kellee Azar, KATU News, Friday, July 28th 2017

PORTLAND, Ore. — After gathering evidence from the scene of a suspected hash oil explosion, officials told KATU News they found enough butane at the site of the explosion to fill all the lighters in Portland.

Two people were killed in the explosion Monday afternoon near Peninsula Park in N Portland; they've been identified as homeowner 42-year-old Matt McCrann and 68-year-old Richard Cisler, who was working as a contractor at the home.

Officials believe McCrann was trying to make butane hash oil. The explosion happened when a large amount of butane came into contact with an ignition source, firefighters said. They have not determined the ignition source.

Investigators searching through the rubble Friday found hundreds of cans of butane along with tanks, pipes and tubing - all products needed to make hash oil.

“We know that this is a very popular product and this is being done all over the city of Portland,” Detective Joe Luiz with Portland Police Bureau said.

Making hash oil without a license is illegal, and extremely dangerous.

“They don't realize that those gasses are escaping into the air or room - anything as slight as static electricity can ignite that explosion,” Luiz said.

The blast was strong enough to shoot debris, including a steal door, across the street. They say it's shocking more people weren't hurt.

“Two people died, and it could have been even worse than that,” Luiz said.

The first responder
Portland firefighter Termaine Clayton was one of the first crews on the scene Monday afternoon after the explosion.

“My captain heard the boom which kind of shook the windows of my station, we were probably 10 blocks away,” Clayton said. “It was surreal, the house just wasn't there."

With the fire quickly spreading to surrounding homes, Clayton and the rest of the firefighters got to work.

“That was pretty intense... I was surprised how quickly the fire was growing... conditions were getting worse, so we backed out,” Clayton said.

https://terppextractors.com/pages/faq-frequently-asked-questions

"Can I run my extractor indoors?
Anytime dangerous, explosive gases (Example: N-Butane, Iso-Butane, N-Propane) are used the work space should be an open, unobstructed, well ventilated area with ABSOLUTELY NO IGNITION SOURCES. We recommend operating our extractors with a hazardous exhaust system to ensure adequate ventilation is always maintained. As ignition of these gases can result in severe injury or death, extreme care should be used at all times."

https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/product-safety.html

"EXTRACTOR WARNING

DO NOT OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS OR ALCOHOL. BY PURCHASING/ OPERATING THIS EQUIPMENT, YOU, AS THE OPERATOR AND CONSUMER, ARE ASSUMING ALL RISK AND LIABILITY THAT ARE ASSOCAITED WITH OPERATING THE EQUIPMENT. FAILURE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAN RESULT IN HAZARDOUS CONSEQUENCES, SUCH AS PHYSICAL INJURY TO SELF OR OTHERS, DAMAGE TO SURROUNDING PROPERTY, FIRE, ETC. DO NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE OPERATE THIS EQUIPMENT INDOORS OR IN AREAS WITH LOW FRESH AIR FLOW.

Extractor Disclaimer
All extractors are tested under a vacuum and at pressure prior to shipping. Upon delivery and before EVERY use, the customer must pull a full vacuum and pressurize the system to 90PSI with inert gas prior to operation to ensure assembly is correct and that the unit is functioning. Failure to do so could result in potential solvent leaks, injury, or even death. We are not responsible for failure to test the unit prior to operation.

If a leak is detected after following these guidelines, depressurize the system and inspect the area of the leak for any problems with seals or defects/damage to equipment. Once problem has been identified and resolved, pressurize the system and check for leaks again.

If the problem CANNOT be resolved, do not use the system annd please contact Best Value Vacs immediately at (800) 562-7471 or (331) 281-0154.

WARNING!!!
Contents may be under positive pressure before, during, and even after operation has been complete. NEVER open or disassemble equipment without ensuring that ALL valves are open to relieve any residual pressure. Even if a gauge indicates that the pressure is zero, please ensure that all valves are 100% open before disassembly.

Extractor General Guidelines
Be sure to have a safe and organized work environment, free of obstacles and possible hazards, in an open, well-ventilated area. NEVER operate any form of extractor, including open blast, closed column, or closed loop systems, in a confined space, indoors, or in areas with minimal flow of fresh air. NEVER operate extraction equipment near electrical sources: including outlets, pumps, lights, or heaters.

Prior to operation, ensure that you and the extractor are grounded. Static electricity can result in a potentially dangerous situation. Be sure to take extra precaution during winter months and in dry climates where static electricity has a greater potential to occur. Our tripod and quad-pod design can facilitate improving safety/ grounding.

Prior to operation, please take the necessary safety precautions by wearing safety goggles, a face shield, gloves, protective clothing, and a respirator.

ALWAYS inspect steel components for any potential structural issues. Be sure to inspect all sight glasses/ viewing ports for stress fractures, chips, scratches, and deterioration. Inspect all clamps for thread stripping or stretching. If any of these issues are found, DO NOT USE and contact the manufacturer immediately. If you need to contact the manufacturer, please have the product description available in order for the customer service representative to assist you.

During assembly and disassembly, ensure that all components are directed away from your face and other extremities. ALWAYS pay special attention to the gauges on the system; NEVER assemble or disassemble components while under vacuum or pressure.

NEVER place extractor tubes or Butane tanks containing any form of solvent near exposed wiring, non-insulated motors (non-explosion proof/sparking motors), open flames, or in the refrigerator/freezer. Please be sure to use static dissipative equipment. Failing to follow these instructions may result in a potential explosion.

Never bring concentrates or extracts indoors until the vacuum purging of the solvent has been completed. Never place extracts in purging vessels until all liquid solvents, such as butane, alcohol, and propane, have outgassed into the atmosphere (outdoors). Failing to do so could result in personal injury and property damage."

https://bhogart.com/faqs/

"IS IT SAFE TO RUN MY BHOGART INDOORS?
The answer is the same for all closed loop extraction systems, not just the BHOgart. No, you cannot run your closed loop BHOgart indoors. The cheapest and safest environment is a well-ventilated outdoor area. The only way to run a BHOgart or any other closed loop extractor safely indoors is to run it in a lab certified for explosive gases. Additionally, all of our extractors require a Class 1 Division 2 room that follows all applicable local fire, building, plumbing, and electrical codes."

I visited that site while the fire department was still working on it. At that point they thought it was natural gas because of the degree of destruction. The home was literally gone, with just piles of boards left, with one home next to it also destroyed and the one on the other side severely damaged.

The operator survived the blast, but not the burns over to high a percent of his body. He also killed a contractor working there.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Los Angeles has a butane restriction law, just noticed it, are they enforcing it?

Los Angeles Municipal Code, Chapter IV, Article 6.4 Restrictions on Butane Sales

https://www.amlegal.com/codes/client/los-angeles_ca/

ARTICLE 6.4
RESTRICTIONS ON BUTANE SALES

(Article and Section Added by Ord. No. 184,415, Eff. 8/12/16.)

Section
46.09 Restrictions on Butane Sales.

BookmarkSEC. 46.09. RESTRICTIONS ON BUTANE SALES.

(a) Definitions.

1. The term "vendor", as used in this section, shall mean any person who is engaged in the wholesale or retail sale of "refined butane", as that term is defined below.

2. The term "refined butane", as used in this section, shall mean butane contained in a canister whose label includes any or all of the following words: "refined", "pure", "purified", "premium" and "filtered", when said words are used to describe the butane.

3. The term "sale" or "sell", as used in this section, shall mean to transfer from a vendor to a customer, whether or not that transfer involves an exchange of money.

4. The term "purchase", as used in this section, shall mean to acquire from a vendor, whether or not that acquisition involves an exchange of money.

(b) Vendor Requirements. Every vendor shall do all of the following:

1. Store refined butane, or cause it to be stored, in a manner that makes it inaccessible, without employee assistance, to the public in the regular course of business pending legal sale or disposition;

2. Limit the quantity of refined butane that may be purchased by a person within a 30-day period to no more than 1,200 milliliters (ml) at retail;

3. Sell refined butane only to persons 18 years of age or older;

4. Require any person who wishes to purchase refined butane to present a valid driver's license or other form of government-issued identification bearing the prospective purchaser's photograph, date of birth and current residence address; and

5. Record the following information in connection with each sale of butane and maintain on the premises of the vendor for a period of not less than two (2) years from the date of sale:

A. The full name and residence address of the purchaser, as obtained from identification described in (b)4.;

B. The date and time of the sale;

C. The brand and amount of refined butane sold;

D. The type of sale, i.e., retail or wholesale;

E. If a wholesale sale, the purchaser's seller's permit number as reflected on the resale certificate, if a resale certificate is taken from the purchaser pursuant to California Revenue and Taxation Code section 6091; and

F. The full name of the person who processed the sale.

(c) Penalty. Violation of any provision of Subdivision (b) above shall constitute a misdemeanor punishable in accordance with Subdivision (m) of Section 11.00 of this Code.

(d) Compliance. Compliance with this section shall in no way relieve a vendor of the responsibility to comply with any other applicable city, state or federal law.

(e) Severability. If any provision of this ordinance is found to be unconstitutional or otherwise invalid by any court of competent jurisdiction, that invalidity shall not affect the remaining provisions of this ordinance which can be implemented without invalid provisions, and to this end, the provisions of this ordinance are declared to be severable.

Similar to what the California State Legislature is proposing with AB-1120.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB1120

Last edited: