What's new

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.federalwaymirror.com/news/339010351.html

By showing the Judge he had the brains of a "flat worm" he gets 72 months, don't do this in your house, don't involve children and don't package the stuff your making in "Cap't Crunch" look alike wrappers for kids candies. Know and use the safety rules Gray Wolf posted above in stickies.

Federal Way man sentenced for drug conspiracy involving hash oil blast

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:19PM

A Federal Way man who led an illegal marijuana “medibles” manufacturing operation was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Tacoma to six years in prison and three years’ supervised release, announced U.S. Attorney Annette L. Hayes.

Kevin Weeks, 25, directed others to use highly flammable butane gas to make hash oil.

On May 20, 2014 one operation at a Puyallup residence exploded and caught fire. The evidence showed that after the explosion, Weeks threatened an associate to keep him working and to hide Weeks’ own involvement. Weeks pleaded guilty in April 2015 to endangering human life while manufacturing controlled substances, maintaining a drug involved premises and manufacturing hash oil and marijuana.

“What disturbs the court about this case is the disregard for human life,” said a sentencing U.S. District Judge Ronald B. Leighton. “The process of manufacturing marijuana into hash oil is dangerous and stupid. Threatening other people to do your bidding makes it a perfect storm.”

The hash oil manufacturing operation first came to the attention of law enforcement on May 20, 2014 when a large explosion shook a Puyallup residential neighborhood. Weeks’ co-defendant Seth M. Cleek was working for Weeks when he manufactured hash oil in the yard at the home and the explosive gas ignited. Butane canisters were hurled in every direction – putting those living near the scene, and first responders at risk. One canister was driven through a plastic planter – demonstrating the force of the explosion. Fortunately Cleek’s family, including an 18-month-old child, was not injured in the blast.

“No one signed off on the use of dangerous manufacturing methods in residential neighborhoods when they voted to legalize marijuana,” said U.S. Attorney Annette L. Hayes. “Not only did the hash oil manufacturing process that this defendant used risk explosions, the final marijuana product was packaged to appeal to kids using an iconic logo from a children’s breakfast cereal. We will continue to investigate and prosecute these types of cases in coordination with our state and local partners.”

According to records filed in the case, Weeks was paying Cleek $10 for each “tube” of marijuana he turned into butane honey oil. The process, which involves forcing butane gas through marijuana clippings packed in a tube, and then boiling off the solvent, can prove highly explosive. The fire resulting from the May 20, 2014 explosion melted the siding on the Puyallup home, damaged a parked car, and destroyed a plastic basketball backboard.

The investigation revealed that Weeks was the operator of the marijuana “medible” company ‘Cap’n Cosmics. The company had no state license to make marijuana products, and used marketing that mimics the look of the children’s cereal, “Cap’n Crunch.” Even after the explosion at the Puyallup residence, Weeks continued his hash oil manufacturing at a different location. He opened the butane honey oil manufacturing operation in an industrial area using a method that could have resulted in a much greater and even more damaging explosion. About 1,800 pounds of marijuana and marijuana laced food products were seized in the investigation.

The case was investigated by the Puyallup Police Department, Pierce County Sheriff’s Department, the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives. The Pierce County Prosecutors Office assisted with the case. The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Vince Lombardi and Todd Greenberg.

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.actionnewsnow.com/news/7-children-inside-oroville-home-during-butane-honey-oil-explosion/

7 children inside Oroville home during Butane Honey Oil explosion

Authorities say seven children were inside an Oroville home when a Butane Honey Oil lab exploded Tuesday night.

The Butte County Sheriff’s Office says the house fire and explosion happened at a home on the 5300 block of Walmer Road in Oroville around 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Authorities said they found evidence consistent with a butane honey oil lab inside one of the home’s bathrooms. Isaiah Rutherford, 28, was found near the explosion and determined to be running the lab.

Four other adults and seven children were in the house and were uninjured in the explosion. The children, ages two through 12, were turned over to social services.

Rutherford suffered major burns and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. No arrests have been made.

Blasting in the home with children, this guy broke some laws that is going to put him away for a long time, I can hear the Judge saying "I'm going to make an example out of Mr. Rutherford."

http://www.actionnewsnow.com/news/7-children-inside-oroville-home-during-butane-honey-oil-explosion/

7 children inside Oroville home during Butane Honey Oil explosion

Authorities say seven children were inside an Oroville home when a Butane Honey Oil lab exploded Tuesday night.

The Butte County Sheriff’s Office says the house fire and explosion happened at a home on the 5300 block of Walmer Road in Oroville around 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Authorities said they found evidence consistent with a butane honey oil lab inside one of the home’s bathrooms. Isaiah Rutherford, 28, was found near the explosion and determined to be running the lab.

Four other adults and seven children were in the house and were uninjured in the explosion. The children, ages two through 12, were turned over to social services.

Rutherford suffered major burns and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. No arrests have been made.

Blasting in the home with children, this guy broke some laws that is going to put him away for a long time, I can hear the Judge saying "I'm going to make an example out of Mr. Rutherford."

It is extremely sad to know that this individual put his whole family at risk to make BHO. I don't know why so many people were at one location, but for the love of the universe please consider your family when making the decision to set up shop in your home.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://kdvr.com/2015/11/05/reports-of-fire-explosion-at-house-in-south-denver/

Fire Official: ‘Marijuana-related’ explosions, fire damage house in south Denver

House damaged in what neighbors said was explosion and fire

DENVER — The Denver Fire Department responded to a house fire and report of explosions in south Denver late Thursday night. Agents from Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were also on the scene.

An official on the scene said there was a butane explosion and it was “marijuana-related.” There were other reports from the scene that indicated there may have been hash oil extraction taking place in the house.

It happened near South Logan Street and East Louisiana Avenue.

Firefighters extinguished the flames quickly, but the house was severely damaged. Neighbors said they heard bangs, possibly as many as four explosions. The front door was blown off the house along with some bricks.

There was a lot of emergency equipment in the neighborhood and Denver Police also helped with the response.

Neighbors were asked to keep an eye out for a dog. They said it looks like a German shepherd. They also said it was not friendly and it barks a lot.

There were no injuries reported.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...-reported-south-denver?source=top_stories_bar

House fire, explosion in south Denver likely pot-related, officials say
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/05/2015 08:11:51 PM MST4 Comments | Updated: 48 min. ago

1/5
Denver Firefighters investigate home explosion at 1356 S. Logan November 05, 2015. Photo by Andy Cross/The Denver Post

A house exploded in south Denver Thursday night and officials said that the blast appeared to be marijuana-related, although the exact cause is unknown.

Denver Fire spokeswoman Melissa Taylor said that the fire, at 1365 S. Logan St., was under control. She said one person was in the house at the time of the blast and that person was in police custody and being questioned.

She said there was a strong odor of marijuana in the air when firefighters arrived.

The explosion was reported about 7:45 p.m.

By 8:15 p.m., the fire was out, but firefighters and police remained on the scene.

Police closed Logan Street in both directions between Louisiana and Arkansas avenues during the investigation. Police said there were no reported injuries.

Sarah Mudry, who lives across the street from the one-story, single-family home, said the blast shattered a quiet evening.

"It was just like last night — it sounded like thunder," she said.

She went outside and saw "a window blown out and fire on the grass."

Mudry called the whole situation "a little weird."

As firefighters were rolling up hoses, another woman who lives next door swept debris from her sidewalk.

The one-story brick home was heavily damaged and is not structurally sound after the blast, Taylor said.

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.times-standard.com/general-news/20151115/butane-hash-oil-lab-explosion-in-eureka

Eureka Times-Standard

Butane hash oil lab explosion in Eureka
Blue and white butane canisters (bottom right) lay outside the smouldering garage where a hash oil lab exploded on Sunday afternoon near the 1000 block of 11th Street in Eureka. Hunter Cresswell — The Times-Standard

By Hunter Cresswell, hcresswell@times-standard.com

A hash oil lab exploded in a garage near the 1000 block of 11th Street in Eureka on Sunday afternoon.

The fire started around 4 p.m. and explosions were heard when fire crews first arrived on scene. A box of butane canisters lay discarded just outside the door of the burning garage as firefighters sawed through the garage door.

“It is an obvious hash lab explosion,” Humboldt Bay Fire Chief Ken Woods said.

The incident is under investigation. There were no injuries reported, he said.

A report of a person trapped in the fire was proved false when firefighters didn’t find anybody in the garage, Woods said.

Authorities are looking for the subject involved, he said.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ne-ignites-marijuana-brandon-police-1.3320990

2 injured in explosion after butane ignites marijuana: Brandon police
Man, 39, was attempting to make oil from marijuana when it ignited in his kitchen, Brandon police say,

CBC News Posted: Nov 16, 2015 10:23 AM CT Last Updated: Nov 16, 2015 11:21 AM CT
Two people were hurt and a Brandon home was badly damaged by an explosion on Sunday. Brandon police say it was a result of marijuana igniting after it was heated with butane.

Two people were hurt and a Brandon home was badly damaged by an explosion on Sunday. Brandon police say it was a result of marijuana igniting after it was heated with butane. (YouTube)
Related Stories

Butane dangerous in drug processing, police warn
Calgary police find dangerous butane lab, man faces charges

An explosion hurt two people and badly damaged a Brandon home on Sunday.

Emergency crews and police were called to a home on Aurora Crescent just before 4 p.m.

Officers found several butane canisters, more than nine kilograms of marijuana and two people suffering from burns, police said.

The man who owns the home and a woman were both taken to hospital. The man was treated and released, and the woman was admitted in stable condition.

Police said someone in the home was using butane to extract oil from marijuana in the kitchen. It ignited and caused an explosion, they said.

Officers seized marijuana and butane canisters, and the 39-year-old homeowner was charged with production of cannabis resin and arson with disregard for human life.

He has been released on a promise to appear in court early next year.

Blasting in a residential home and neighborhood, broke the #1 rule about Butane extraction!!

jump /injack

Veteran
http://kymkemp.com/2015/11/18/a-hash-lab-exploded-and-almost-killed-my-whole-family/

Be sure to read the comments.

‘A Hash Lab Exploded and Almost Killed My Whole Family’
November 18, 2015 Kym Kemp 46 comments

Humboldt Bay firefighters race to put out an explosion in a hash lab. [Photo by Oliver Cory.]
On Sunday at 4 p.m., when explosions began ripping through the garage next door to them, Shannan O’Neal, her son, Griffyn, and her boyfriend, Ben Jacobsen, were relaxing after a busy day. “We had just got through with my son winning the championship game for his division,” said O’Neal proudly. “He’s on AA Football for the Eureka Knights.”

First came a series of loud explosions. “It was crazy,” O’Neal said. “We were panicking trying to figure out what was going on….Then we heard a really loud pounding on our door while more explosions went off….Then our house started filling up with dark smoke.” They opened the door but no one was there.

It was hard to know what to do first. O’Neal said, “My boyfriend started screaming, ‘Get out of the house. Get out of the house.'”

O’Neal said she is still can’t believe some of the things she did. “I took my son to the car…I put on my shoes but didn’t think to put my son’s shoes on…I put my son and my cat in the car…I ran back….I grabbed my mom’s jewelry. (That’s what I have left of her.)… I ran it across the street to this complete stranger…I don’t know what I was thinking…I was just freaking out.”

Meanwhile, O’Neal said explosions kept happening. Fire crews showed up and told the family they couldn’t go back into their apartment and get more of the property. It wasn’t safe, they were told.

O’Neal and her son, 10-year-old Griffyn, were both scared that someone was in the garage. “Every time the butane was exploding and the metal was flexing, we thought it was the man pounding on the door,” O’Neal said. “When they cut open the garage door, I thought I was going to see a bloody body.”

Fortunately, no one was in the building.

Later, O’Neal and Jacobsen were able to go back to the apartment. O’Neal said to her horror she learned that the hash lab explosion had blown out a vent that went into her children’s bathroom.

IMG954761

Area in the bathroom ceiling where the force of the explosion thrust a metal vent from the ceiling and cracked a wall. [Photo provided by Shannan O’Neal.]
“The force of the explosion that blew the metal part of the vent down,” she said, “it would have killed my kids if they had been in there…The fire investigator told us that the reason the explosion didn’t go through the house was the flimsy garage door… If it had a stronger garage door, [the force of the explosion] would have went through the house…. He just keep telling us how lucky we are….The flimsy door literally saved our life.”

But O’Neal’s apartment was badly damaged. “Walls were cracked…The smoke from that hash lab filled my entire home,” she said. “We had to throw anything that wasn’t packaged. We had just gone to Costco and spent $250.”

Fortunately, she has a lot of support in the area. She is a co-founder of Pay It Forward Humboldt, a organization whose mission is to “give back to our community, residents and other non-profits by conducting community projects, fundraisers and providing relief in times of need.” Her friends there stepped in to help. Folks at HSU (She is taking 20 units this semester at HSU and College of the Redwoods) have taken her two kids to the movies, brought her grocery cards, and offered to let her stay in a vacation rental.

“The whole community has been amazing and reaching out,” O’Neal explained.

On top of that, she does have renter’s insurance though it won’t pay for all the time she will need to be out of the apartment while it is cleaned and fixed up. “I can only stay in the hotel for so long,” she says.

A family photo from before the explosions. [From the GoFundMe page.]
The stress of the situation has been hard on everybody. “My son is terrified. I’m trying to get him into a counselor. Me and my boyfriend can’t sleep….We have nightmares…”My son is messed up….I am messed up. My boyfriend is messed up. We cry all the time,” she said. “We are trying to understand the insurance jargon.”

On top of that, O’Neal still has to finish the twenty units at two different schools she signed up for in her social work program.

O’Neal, who also volunteers doing drug and alcohol counseling for the county points out that “it is ironic that a hash lab exploded and almost killed my whole family…We’re talking lasting effects on a 10 year-old boy. It makes me furious. When I’m doing all I can do to create a better community and it still happens to us in our home.”

O’Neal wants the community to work together to stop incidents like this from happening again. “We have to stand up and do something about this. It is time for action,” she said. “This is happening in residential areas with small children 30 feet away.”://kymkemp.com/2015/11/18/a-hash-lab-exploded-and-almost-killed-my-whole-family/

Be sure to go to the news paper site and read the comments, this is very bad. The whole family could have been killed by some asshole. Get the shit out of residential area's, get closed systems and get into commercial areas, have a independent safety inspection, don't buy shoddy equipment that can get you killed or fried. Be a decent human being.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/11/...n-at-home-officially-adopted-by-grandparents/

Children Who Survived Hash Oil Explosion At Home Officially Adopted By Grandparents
November 23, 2015 9:04 AM
Filed Under: Adoption, Brayden, Hash Oil Explosion

By Jeff Todd

DENVER (CBS4) – At National Adoption Day inside the Jefferson County Courthouse there were dozens of special stories of families becoming whole. The Wylie family barely got their paperwork done and case approved before the ceremony on Saturday morning.

“I don’t want them in foster care. I want to be the ones that take care of them. Rob and I do. They’re our grandchildren,” said Dana Wylie, “The past year-and-a-half has been a long journey.”

5-year-old Brayden and his younger sister Brooklyn were taken from their parents in April 2014 after a hash oil explosion inside their Lakewood apartment. The kids’ biological father, Corbin Braithwaite, is serving a four-year sentence for child abuse, arson, and drug possession.

The county also revoked parental rights from the kids’ mother.

“It’s probably one of the greatest days of my life,” said Robert Wylie, who the kids call Papa. “There’s a light in them that’s just wonderful.”

We first met the Wylie family at a West Metro Fire Station when Brayden got a chance to meet with the firefighters who responded to the explosion at his home. It was part of his therapy after dealing with nightmares from the incident.
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

“Adoption day is really special because I get adopted,” Brayden told the judge during the adoption hearing.

He was most excited to get his face painted then head home for the party. “I’m going to go to a party and my Mema (Dana) has a special cake that looks like a caterpillar,” Brayden said.

“We just have nothing but love in the family. There’s just something special about the kids,” said Robert.

But Brayden knew he wasn’t the only special kid at the courthouse that day.

He also told the judge, “I just want to say thank you for all of the kids that got adopted today.”

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/cr...cle_fc93a064-9390-11e5-958a-671d7cb95fb7.html

Pasco fire, explosion likely caused by hash oil operation

PASCO, Wash. - A fire that destroyed a Pasco mobile home this week was likely the result of an explosion from a hash oil operation.

The blast Sunday inside the single-wide mobile home on North Elm Avenue sent a man to the hospital with burns. A woman was able to escape without injuries.

The explosion about 9:30 p.m. caused a fire that quickly engulfed the home and took crews about 30 minutes to extinguish, officials said.

Investigators found evidence in the home that the explosion and fire were caused as oil was being made, possibly in the kitchen, said Pasco Fire Chief Bob Gear.

Hash oil is commonly made using highly explosive butane gas. It’s illegal to use the gas in a home to make hash oil.

Police and fire investigators are working together on the case.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://turnto10.com/news/local/apartment-complex-fire-breaks-out-in-westerly

Hash oil cook lab causes Westerly fire, explosion

By KATIE DAVIS, NBC 10 NEWS Friday, November 27th 2015

WESTERLY, R.I. — An early morning explosion and fire ripped through an apartment building in Westerly on Friday.

Neighbors narrowly escaped the flames.

The NBC 10 I-Team learned that a hash oil cook lab caused the incident. Hash oil is a potent marijuana resin that is extracted with chemical solvents, which often explode.

"It just looks like a bomb hit it," said Robert Fleming, a neighbor. "The whole thing is blown out in the front there, you know?"

Fleming said the people responsible put everyone in the apartment complex, which is located on Apache Drive, in danger.

The fire reportedly began on around 4:00 a.m. and grew to two alarms before the flames were put out.

"I heard a loud bang and the fire got pretty involved," said Michael Wise, a Vermont resident who visited Westerly to spend the holiday with loved ones.

Despite the shattered glass and melted siding, there were no reports of injuries. A cat was also rescued from the blaze.

Westerly police and DEA agents were at the scene from early morning until late afternoon.

"When you're dealing with drugs, then obviously you're cooking with volatile chemicals," said Fleming.

Investigators suited up for protection in plastic suits, rubber boots and masks before entering the apartment. They exited with evidence of a hash oil lab.

Authorities also removed what appeared to be marijuana plants burnt in the fire, as well as more than a dozen boxes labeled "butane," which is a solvent commonly used to make hash oil.

Neighbors who spoke with the I-Team said they saw two men run outside after the blast. They also heard one saying he had a medical marijuana card.

One man, who was dressed only in boxer shorts, left quickly after calling a friend who picked him up in a car. Witnesses said the other man stayed at the scene.

"They were concerned with the fire," said Frank Clifford, another neighbor. "They were trying to put the fire out, but at that point in time, it had gotten too much out of control. They were covered in soot."

The DEA is handling the investigation, but didn't return calls from NBC 10 on Friday.

Four units were damaged in the explosion. The Red Cross is helping residents who have been displaced.

Jon 54

STOP THE MADNESS

STOP THE MADNESS

In order to stop the explosions first you must stop ALL DISPENSARIES from selling this product as medicine!!! California MUST crack-down on the dispensaries selling this product and arrest and convict the owners. Jail time and stringent fines are what's needed. This shit isn't medicine and in no way can be made into it. Whatever happened to regular Marijuana and Hashish??

Jon54 :plant grow::plant grow:

Old Gold

Jon54 is not a doctor. Don't take his advice on medicines.
What the fuck do you know about the "lack" of medicinal properties of cannabinoids? Please enlighten us all, rather than stepping into an educated community with your pointless harddy-harr-harr screaming about cracking down.

Jon 54

Jon54 is not a doctor. Don't take his advice on medicines.
What the fuck do you know about the "lack" of medicinal properties of cannabinoids? Please enlighten us all, rather than stepping into an educated community with your pointless harddy-harr-harr screaming about cracking down.

Are You a Doctor?

What medicinal properties does BHO,Wax,Crumble have? How much do you know about Cannabis?? Don't take my advice just go for the quick buck and screw safety. You subscribe to the old addage GREED is more than NEED.

Jon54:tiphat::moon:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In order to stop the explosions first you must stop ALL DISPENSARIES from selling this product as medicine!!! California MUST crack-down on the dispensaries selling this product and arrest and convict the owners. Jail time and stringent fines are what's needed. This shit isn't medicine and in no way can be made into it. Whatever happened to regular Marijuana and Hashish??

Opinions have their place, but might you support your statements regarding the medicinal properties with hard data?

Thus far they fly in the face of commonly shared existing data and my own personal experiences supplying concentrates to patients for the last decade or so.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are You a Doctor?

What medicinal properties does BHO,Wax,Crumble have? How much do you know about Cannabis?? Don't take my advice just go for the quick buck and screw safety. You subscribe to the old addage GREED is more than NEED.

That is certainly one way to look at it. Another would be to read the volumes of existing data on the subject.

We've supplied BHO concentrates to high dosage and end of life patients for free, so wondering where the greed part comes in.

Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one. The degree that the opinions are accepted by others typically involves how closely they fit in with the balance of the existing data, an how eloquently they are presented.

May I suggest that you work on both if you want to be taken seriously.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Are You a Doctor?

Butane/propane extracts cannabis oil with extreme efficiency, leaving no poisonous solvent behind. Just because a few very ignorant members of society are engaging in these extractions out of greed, and are blowing themselves, family, friends, and neighbors up is no reason to damn the process itself.

Here's one of the top reason's I'm risking my freedom to take a stand for BHO:

"Synthetic marijuana drug spice causes multiple overdoses in downtown San Diego for second weekend in a row

Nov. 29, 2015 Updated 11:42 a.m.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN DIEGO – Authorities said 16 people have been sickened in downtown San Diego after taking the synthetic marijuana drug spice.

Fire officials treated the patients during numerous calls on Saturday, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.

Fire spokesman Lee Swanson said the patients, mostly in their late teens to early 20s, had symptoms ranging from nausea and fast heartbeats to breathing difficulties and even unconsciousness.

Eleven of the 16 were taken to hospitals, three in serious condition, but Swanson said none of the problems were life-threatening.

Police are trying to discover the source of the spice.

It’s the second weekend in a row that the drug has caused multiple overdoses downtown. More than a dozen people — including a 13-year-old — were treated on Nov. 22."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/diego-694164-downtown-drug.html

^ Perverse huh!?

For some reason :biggrin: Nature has provided man with a relatively safe, and powerful herb, along with simple organic means for concentrating it's active ingredients as man's knowledge increased, i.e., kief > ethyl alcohol > butane/propane. Have a dab to reason, we reference one love.

Last edited:

Lefthand

concentrates = affordable medicine.

I can affordably grow and process my own medicine and know exactly whats in my product from start to finish.

CBDFarm

concentrates = affordable medicine.

I can affordably grow and process my own medicine and know exactly whats in my product from start to finish.

I agree, after the plant is grown, it costs me about 50 bucks to make an ounce plus of live resin BHO for every 6-8 ounces of plant material used(or more if using cured material)

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.redding.com/news/local-news/redding-fire-three-kids-at-home-during-parents-hash-oil-fire

Redding fire: Three kids at home during parents' hash-oil fire

REDDING, California - Redding fire investigators say one unit of a fourplex burned down Wednesday night because of a butane honey-oil lab, and the man and woman behind the operation ran away with their three kids when the blaze started.

Fire Inspector Craig Wittner said the fire happened just before midnight on the 1800 block of Eugenia Avenue.

Wittner said the explosion and fire caused moderate damage to one unit, and was extinguished by the time crews got there.

Neighbors told firefighters that a man, woman and three children left the unit just before firefighters arrived.

The crew later determined that vapor from a butane hash-oil operation caused the blaze, Wittner said. Butane hash or honey oil is a method used for extracting marijuana that's known for being highly dangerous because the smallest movement can ignite invisible vapors.

"Manufacture of butane hash oil is extremely dangerous and illegal," Wittner said. "This illegal, dangerous and selfish act unnecessarily endangered not only the responsible occupants and their children, but the other unknowing building occupants as well."

Wittner said the family has not been seen since, and authorities are trying to find them for interviewing. Since they haven't been found, Wittner said it's unknown whether anyone was injured in the fire.

He estimated damage to the building at $25,000 and $5,000 in damage to its contents.