What's new

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

Brot

Your giving this relatively safe process, a terrible name!...,, my 2C

I have open blasted many times then learned about a better, safer,cheaper way. I like to upgrade my toys /tools and building sweet looking closed loop systems has been allot of fun.

I know people r still going to open blast, hopefully they do it safe as possible.

The people in these stories give the process a bad name not me commenting them. Are u serious?[/QUOTE]

Why would you think that was dirrected at you? I have no interaction with you, hence the phrase, "my 2c" i was giving a broad generalized statement. My comment was for saftey, i dont troll, have not need!

Lefthand

I know my 2cents is referencing your opinion.
It was the "Your giving this process a bad name" after my post was why i thought it was directed at me.

Thanks for the info on your post, denver fire department put out a video of a staged butane explosion in a shed, I'll try and find it and post it up.
:D peace

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/22/man-burned-in-blast-making-hash-oil-sues-butane-bu/

Man burned in blast making hash oil sues butane businesses

By TIM FOUGHT - Associated Press - Friday, May 22, 2015

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - An Oregon medical marijuana patient who was badly burned in an explosion while he was legally using butane as a solvent to make hash oil is suing the makers and sellers of the fuel.

Kevin Tveisme, 28, of Portland, was injured in 2013 when his furnace clicked on, igniting butane vapor. The explosion destroyed his garage and injured a friend, Joseph Westom, who died 18 days later.

Treating marijuana with butane as a solvent extracts the potent hash oil at a low cost, but butane vapor is volatile. Explosions have become more common with the spread of legal medical and recreational marijuana.

As a medical marijuana cardholder, Tveisme was allowed to make hash oil under Oregon law, the lawsuit says.

Although the butane canisters had a “flammable” marking, the lawsuit says, the butane should have come with stickers and instructional brochures specifically warning of the volatility of the butane’s vapor.

The lawsuit also says the odorless butane should have been treated, like natural gas, with a smelly chemical to make its dangers obvious.

The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in state court in Multnomah County. It seeks $11 million in damages.

The suit was filed against a dozen defendants, including Shell Oil Products, a California-based distributor, and a Shell station in southeast Portland where the lawsuit says the butane was purchased. The owner of the store couldn’t be reached for comment.

Cannajits

Your giving this relatively safe process, a terrible name!...,, my 2C

I have open blasted many times then learned about a better, safer,cheaper way. I like to upgrade my toys /tools and building sweet looking closed loop systems has been allot of fun.

I know people r still going to open blast, hopefully they do it safe as possible.

The people in these stories give the process a bad name not me commenting them. Are u serious?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you were responding to me, as I had taken your post a bit personally, given I had a recent post supporting the process of open blasting.

I meant no offense and I think we are more on the same page, than in different camps.

I myself have become more open to the suggestion of closed loop systems too, though I doubt I'll ever want to set up that kind of equipment. I think, if I were ever to be an open blaster, that the clandestine nature of the process is a necessity. Being that butane is sold in bulk, right out in the open, yet the process of making medicine with that openly sold solvent is VERY illegal, it isn't logical to me to purchase a set up that requires recovery tanks and a trip to airgas. Seems to me, in terms of both security and outward appearance, that indicates a much more determined effort to produce a bit of medicine - one that is more commonly indicative in these parts of those with intent to distribute. If i were an open blaster, i certainly wouldn't be one interested in making profit from it.

The argument that a cleaner, healthier and more pleasant product is produce from more expensive equipment and solvents makes complete sense to me and I have no retort. I'm satisfied with my medicine for now. I can sense that I may be curious enough to try it out someday... if old equipment were to end up around, or something. That said, if I was gonna blast in the future, one would certainly consider upgrades of the current process.

Onwards and upwards!!

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Open blasting will go on forever. Even if cannabis is made legal in every state and on the federal level. It's too simple and not expensive to do, for it to go away forever.

But to say it too dangerous to do at all, is just not correct. It's not for every one, and fools make bad examples every day. Follow the rules, and things work out. I've been doing it for over 5 years.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.ketv.com/news/2-hurt-in-explosion-at-omaha-home/33106756

In a house, in a residential are, in the kitchen, no fire resistant clothing= Jail time, lots of money for attorneys, burns, police record, no more home, not to smart.

Man booked after hash oil reportedly caused explosion at home Tuesday
2 people taken to Nebraska Medical Center for treatment

OMAHA, Neb. —Two people were being checked by doctors at Nebraska Medicine after an explosion at a home near 90th and Fort streets Tuesday afternoon. By Tuesday evening, Omaha Police had booked Michael Morrison, 22, in relation to the incident.
Related

Video: Man booked after hash oil reportedly caused explosion at home Tuesday

"The house just shook," neighbor April Tucker said. "It sounded like a semi came through."

Police said it happened in the kitchen of the home just before 1 p.m.

The two victims were treated at the scene for minor burns and were being taken to Nebraska Medical Center as a precaution.

The preliminary investigation has revealed that hash oil was being manufactured inside the home and that fire and toxic fumes caused the explosion.

"I'm on the neighborhood watch and we work to keep this stuff out of our neighborhood, because we want this to be an old-fashioned, wholesome neighborhood, and that's not what we want here at all," Tucker said.

Morrison was booked for controlled substance manufacturing.

Douglas County forensic scientist Christine Gabig has seen hash oil in her lab, which police said Morrison was making. They believe he was extracting a resin-like substance from the marijuana plant, one that packs potent THC.

"One of the most dangerous ways that we're seeing are when people do it with butane, and even with some alcohols like Everclear, because these substances are flammable," Gabig said.

While the recipes for hash oil are online, proper warnings are not.

"If there's any sort of a spark that happens, if you do it over a stove or hot water, you could end up with an explosion," Gabig said.

"He said, 'I got the fire out,' but he had stuff all up and down his arms, and didn't have a shirt on," Tucker said. "There was obviously red marks on his chest, so I was like, 'I'm calling, you need help. I'm calling.'"

Only one suspect is currently charged. Two people were in the home when the explosion happened. Tuesday night, a police spokesperson told KETV NewsWatch 7 that charges are possible for the other person involved.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/24/explosion-at-santa-fe-medical-marijuana-dispensary/

By - Associated Press - Friday, July 24, 2015
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - A Santa Fe Fire Department official says an investigation into an explosion and fire at a medical marijuana dispensary which injured two people will look at whether there was a fuel leak.
Assistant Battalion Chief Carl Crook says butane is used in extraction of an active compound from marijuana and that the investigation will try to determine if there was a leak of butane that was ignited by a source yet to be determined.
The explosion and small fire in a production building at NewMexiCann Natural Medicine damaged the room where the explosion took place.
Crook says at least one person was in the room when the explosion occurred but it’s not immediately known whether the second injured person also was in the room or entered after the blast occurred.
___
Another disaster this month, these events are going to make the legal market for light hydrocarbon extractions more difficult.:no:

Published on Jul 25, 2015
MMJRadio 07-25-2015 S6E30 MMJ News and Guest Daniel de Sailles on BHO Extraction Safety

Larry does a short intro on BHO explosions, the actual interview with Daniel de Sailles starts at 33:01.

https://youtu.be/pGT4jGyOlX4?t=1s

Please listen up!!! "DON'T DO IT INSIDE, DON'T DO IT INSIDE, DON'T DO IT INSIDE!!!"

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.cheknews.ca/rcmp-say-courtenay-explosion-related-to-drug-lab-98365/

RCMP say Courtenay explosion related to drug lab
Posted By: Dean Stoltzon: May 25, 2015In: News

It looked like a nice home, go to the url and take a look, its what 3400 degree's does to your house, you and everyone watching. Do not do this inside or in a residential area, wear fire retardant clothing that can be bought off Amazon. Most burns are on hands, arms and face, if your not wearing a shirt the burns will be on your torso, the burns will be of a VERY serious and painful nature, very expensive.

Hash oil allegedly being cooked at time of explosion[/b]

Comox Valley RCMP detectives say an ignition of butane fumes is what exploded, causing a Courtenay house fire on Friday.

Numerous butane cans were found in the backyard after the explosion and police say hash oil was being cooked at the time.

Three men escaped the blaze with serious burns and remain in hospitals in Victoria and Vancouver.

They are in serious and critical condition.

Neighbours who live on the street say they are angry that criminal activity such as a drug lab could have been happening there.

“Well I’m a little bit angry yeah because of the complete disregard for the neighbouring families. I mean there’s kids all the way through here,” said Lora Kane who lives next door.

Jennie Wright lives across the street. “It’s very shocking for us especially living across the street, we’re walking past there quite often with the kids.”

“Does make you a little bit angry that you know if the explosion had come out the front and if we were standing out front with our kids it could have been a whole other story,” said her husband Bill Wright.

Cases like this are rare but they do happen and did so in Dashwood in March of last year. Three people were badly injured when butane fumes ignited during the production of hash oil.

It’s a scenario that puts fire departments on edge according to Courtenay Fire Chief Don Bardonnex. “Just the accident waiting to happen. Butane is 2.1 times heavier than air so it’s going to drop, it’s going to drop to the floor. It’s not going to come out of the basement unless it’s ventilated so it’s just sitting there waiting there for an ignition source.”

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2015/05/23/hash-oil-explosions/27838871/

ATF warns of danger from 'hash oil' explosions

Trevor Hughes, USA Today 11:48 a.m. EDT May 23, 2015
AP HASH OIL EXPLOSIONS A FILE USA CO

[Now the ATF is getting into the "hash oil" business, the same bunch that brought you "Fast and Furious" and the Waco Slaughter. Got to go closed system and tell everyone no blasting in residential areas, this is getting worse instead of better. Put into perspective however, Detroit has had more deaths by murder in the first 6 months of this year that has been killed in the last five year with butane, same with any major city controlled by the Democrats.]

DENVER — A potentially explosive technique used to make a powerful marijuana concentrate from pot leaves and stems has federal investigators cautioning the public about the risks of hash oil extraction.

When done wrong, the process can cause a fireball or flash fire that blows out windows and doors. Authorities say they've seen an uptick in hash oil-related incidents from California to Washington and New Jersey, and say it's in part because people learn the basic technique over the Internet but often lack the sophistication to do it safely.

In 2014, there were 32 butane hash-oil explosions in Colorado alone. Now, there is a move to limit the amount of the chemical someone can purchase. Watch the video to see a hash-oil explosion. VPC

While the technique to make hash oil — also known as wax, shatter, butter or dabs — isn't new, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives experts say the danger can be greater in states that have legalized marijuana because people have access to larger quantities of marijuana plants. ATF agents aren't taking a position on marijuana legalization but are asking lawmakers to consider the ramifications of permitting hash oil extraction.

"I don't think they realize it's unsafe," said Billy Magalassi, chief of the ATF's fire investigation and arson enforcement division. "Kids are curious but they're dealing with things that are very dangerous."

Colorado's constitution permits residents to make marijuana extracts like hash oil, although Gov. John Hickenlooper is considering whether to sign a proposal specifically banning the use of butane for hash extraction.

Users make hash oil by running butane or another solvent through a tube filled with dried marijuana clippings, left over after the flowers have been cut off for smoking. The solvent strips the THC, or psychoactive compound, out of the plants, leaving behind an oily liquid that can be further solidified by heating the mixture to evaporate the butane. Because it's heavier than air, the butane sinks to ground level, where it can be ignited by a stove's pilot light or a refrigerator's compressor motor. People making hash oil also sometimes store it in their refrigerator, where the butane continues to evaporate.

Users like hash oil because it allows them to extract marijuana from otherwise unusable trimmings. In states where marijuana is illegal, black-market dealers generally sell only the flowers. But in Colorado and Washington, where recreational marijuana is grown and sold openly, users can easily and cheaply acquire the trimmings. The extract is far more potent than marijuana "bud," and more easily transported.

Last year, Colorado had 32 confirmed hash oil extraction explosions and 30 injuries, up from 12 explosions and 18 injuries in 2013, said Kevin Wong, an analyst with the federally funded Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Area task force. In 2015, only two explosions have been confirmed through mid-May.

Wong said the drop in reported Colorado explosions is likely due to a combination of factors, including users being more careful or switching to a different solvent, such as hexane, propane or carbon dioxide. Publicity about the danger also helped, he said.

"I feel the coverage has really helped to educate the public, to spread the word, to publicize the dangers," Wong said. "Does it mean they've stopped doing it? No. Does it mean they've gotten smarter about how they report it? Yes. (And) they're finding other chemicals to use in place of butane."

Colorado prosecutors have frequently brought charges against users who cause explosions while making hash oil, but also usually end up dropping them. That's because the amendment that legalized marijuana use and possession also guaranteed residents the right to make extracts.

Denver marijuana advocate and attorney Rob Corry says some of the fears are overblown. Corry has represented hash oil manufacturers facing arson charges following explosions. He said cops and prosecutors are wrongly targeting a small number of hash oil extractors who make mistakes not significantly different than those of a bad cook.

"If you fry a turkey indoors, that's very dangerous. That can cause a major problem. It doesn't mean you've committed a felony offense though," Corry said.

Lefthand

Story is old and outdated, that guy and his lawyer got the charges dropped against him but inadvertently started the process to make extractions illegal without biz licensce and after 7/1/15 having a med card dont mean shit either.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
yeah and the one above that is fairly old news.

could it be that people are switching to heat press enough that there are less butane blowups going on already a bit? i have heard of quite a few switching over.

jump /injack

Veteran
yeah and the one above that is fairly old news.

could it be that people are switching to heat press enough that there are less butane blowups going on already a bit? i have heard of quite a few switching over.

It seems to be slowing down a lot but I thought that same thing last year but when the harvest was in and there was once more a lot of product out, the fires and explosions started once more. Maybe this year is the turning point. Something to ponder is that there is more deaths by violence in any major city run by the Democrat Party in one year [such as Chicago] as in the last 5 years by butane extraction in the whole country. Selective outrage seems to be the norm.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recently spent a couple quality days meeting with Industrial Hygienists from the federal Hazard Evaluation and Technical Assistance Branch of the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention branch of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), who have started educating themselves in our industry, to better understand occupational safety and health concerns.

To be expected in an industry that OSHA is now being drawn into, and which has also started to unionize. The United Food and Commercial Workers union (UFCW) was also represented by two of their health safety officers, also striving to better understand the safety issues workers in our industry face.

There was a flow of contributors besides myself, and the good news is that I was impressed with not only the intelligence, but also the attitude of both the CDC Hygienists, and the UFCW safety and health officers.

All eager to learn and with the attitude that safe sane rules and procedures are needed to protect the workers, just like any other business, but that businesses must survive for employees to have a place to work.

For instance, not all of the equipment demonstrated to them would meet NIOSH standards for pinch points and guarding, but along with those observations, they offered easy solutions.

It was a pleasure to see both a federal agency and a labor union focused on how to help businesses thrive, thus promoting job growth.

A second insight I got was from an ongoing investigation in NM I was questioned on, that has the burn victim in the critical care ward circling the drain.

They were using a Lil Terp style extractor, but opened it before fully recovering and poured the balance of the butane out in an open container to boil off.

Done indoors, without adequate ventilation, and the vapors found an ignition source, thought to be static electricity.

It is great news to hear that government agencies are actively working, and willing, to understand more about our industry. Hopefully as more commercial operations develop across the states, the companies will use an Industrial Hygienist to develop SOPs and parameters for running the equipment/engineering the appropriate space for the equipment.

It is sad to hear about injuries from people extracting their medicine... but unfortunately this is a 'hobby' that does not permit shortcuts, and if we take them we can cause sever harm to ourselves and others around us.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/lo...cle_3061e92a-4b32-11e5-bd23-f3986de947ef.html

Police: Hash oil explosion at Yakima residence hospitalizes 2

By Aaron Kunkler
[email protected] Updated 16 hrs ago Comments

Two men remained in critical condition Tuesday night after Yakima authorities said a drug-related explosion in a basement ignited a fire in a house where five children and a woman were sleeping.

After the explosion, the men, ages 21 and 38, told the other occupants to get out of the house before they fled the scene.

About an hour later, the pair arrived at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital suffering from second- and third-degree burns over 30 to 60 percent of their bodies, authorities said.

The men, who police said were uncooperative, were airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where they were being treated in the intensive care unit Tuesday night.

The children are safe and are staying with friends and relatives, the fire department said.

Yakima police said the fire, reported shortly after midnight Monday at 307 E. Maple St., was caused by hash oil production in the small basement.

Hash oil is a marijuana concentrate that is illegal to manufacture without a state license. Highly flammable butane fuel is used to produce it, but can cause violent explosions, especially in an enclosed space.

Police officers said they could hear small explosions at the scene of the fire, a sign that aerosol cans were exploding in the heat.

The fire was concentrated in the basement, but smoke damage spread to furnishings on the main floor, with damages estimated at $30,000, the fire department report said.

The basement was only accessible from outside the house, which fire officials say may have prevented serious injury to the woman and children upstairs, as well as more extensive damage to the house.

No charges are yet being sought due to the severity of the suspects’ injuries, and because the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has been contacted, police spokesman Mike Bastinelli said.

Fire officials said Yakima hasn’t seen any hash oil explosions before. But fire department spokesman Jeff Pfaff said there has been an increase in these kinds of incidents on the West Coast and Colorado.

In 2013, a hash-oil explosion started a fire that destroyed a Bellevue apartment building and resulted in the death of the city’s first female mayor, who was injured trying to escape.

Pfaff said he thinks the Yakima Valley could see more such explosions in the near future.

“This time of year is a time when an outdoor (marijuana) grower has the potential to start harvesting,” he said.

Looks like harvest time is here again. Extracting in the basement can blow the house off of its mud sills, lift the whole house vertically. The wife and children are an enhancement to the charges that will be leveled, usually another 3 to 5 years in jail.

Last edited:

MEMED

Butane leak fueled blast

SANTA FE – What sparked an explosion at a Santa Fe medical marijuana dispensary in late July has not been determined, but a report from the Santa Fe Fire Department says a butane leak fueled the blast that left two employees with serious burns.

A combustion-type explosion occurred from equipment for a process using butane to extract hash oil from cannabis at the NewMexiCann Natural Medicine dispensary on San Mateo Lane on July 23.

The report released Wednesday by the city under a public records request says that “it was determined that a butane leak from one of the lines in the equipment met with an ignition source. Butane can be ignited by static electricity, electric arcs, or open flames, which were all available in the room at the time.”

One of the NewMexiCann employees, Nicholas Montoya, 29, has been upgraded from critical to serious condition at University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque. The other worker, Aaron Smith, 38, is in a rehabilitation center after spending three weeks in the hospital and had skin grafts on his hands, arms and legs, according to a donation page set up by NewMexiCann, nickmontoyafund.org. The site says Montoya has undergone several surgeries and is fighting an infection in his lungs.
Nicholas Montoya

Nicholas Montoya

Smith, who was interviewed a week after the incident, told the Fire Department the extraction equipment is moved frequently, and it’s possible that a hose came loose and leaked butane before the explosion. The incident report says the most likely possibility was that a hose was completely disconnected from the extractor. A leak could have gone undetected because butane is odorless.

There were several possible ignition sources in the room, such as electrical outlets, two pumps, an oven, a hair dryer and a heat gun. But investigators can’t determine whether any of those caused the blast.

There were several compressed gas cylinders in the building and outside. Some contained refrigerants, and others contained either pure butane or mix of butane and propane, and there was a 5-gallon container of ethanol that has been eliminated as a “fuel source.” The containers were intact after the explosion.
Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Online descriptions of the hash oil extraction process indicate that marijuana is soaked in butane or sometimes ethanol, which extracts the active ingredient in pot, and the mixture is then boiled down to a thick oil or paste. The Fire Department report does not make it clear how or whether a butane or ethanol mixture was actually being heated when the explosion took place. It says the extraction process “could have been performed starting at 8 a.m.” the day of the explosion, and the blast was reported at 4:40 p.m.

The explosion was so powerful “the roof had apparently separated from the wall.” Investigators also noted that the wall was warped and fluorescent lights close to the blast origin were melted. NewMexicann reopened for business Aug. 3.

On the fundraising site for medical expenses, NewMexicann posted this statement:” A lot of you will want to ask…what happened? Unfortunately, we don’t know. The accident is under investigation. It was a very scary event for all of us and we are still trying to heal. Our primary concern is for the recovery and well-being of our beloved co-workers.”

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.cheknews.ca/rcmp-say-courtenay-explosion-related-to-drug-lab-98365/

RCMP say Courtenay explosion related to drug lab
Posted By: Dean Stoltzon: May 25, 2015In: News

5 COURTENAY EXPLOSION MON
Screen Shot 2015-05-25 at 5.13.17 PM

Hash oil allegedly being cooked at time of explosion

Comox Valley RCMP detectives say an ignition of butane fumes is what exploded, causing a Courtenay house fire on Friday.

Numerous butane cans were found in the backyard after the explosion and police say hash oil was being cooked at the time.

Three men escaped the blaze with serious burns and remain in hospitals in Victoria and Vancouver.

They are in serious and critical condition.

Neighbours who live on the street say they are angry that criminal activity such as a drug lab could have been happening there.

“Well I’m a little bit angry yeah because of the complete disregard for the neighbouring families. I mean there’s kids all the way through here,” said Lora Kane who lives next door.

Jennie Wright lives across the street. “It’s very shocking for us especially living across the street, we’re walking past there quite often with the kids.”

“Does make you a little bit angry that you know if the explosion had come out the front and if we were standing out front with our kids it could have been a whole other story,” said her husband Bill Wright.

Cases like this are rare but they do happen and did so in Dashwood in March of last year. Three people were badly injured when butane fumes ignited during the production of hash oil.

It’s a scenario that puts fire departments on edge according to Courtenay Fire Chief Don Bardonnex. “Just the accident waiting to happen. Butane is 2.1 times heavier than air so it’s going to drop, it’s going to drop to the floor. It’s not going to come out of the basement unless it’s ventilated so it’s just sitting there waiting there for an ignition source.”

http://sd32.senate.ca.gov/news/8720...oil-methamphetamine-manufacturing-legislation

Governor Signs Butane Hash Oil & Methamphetamine Manufacturing Legislation
Mendoza Bill to Keep Neighborhoods & Schools Safe
August 7, 2015

Sacramento - SB 212 authored by Senator Tony Mendoza (D-Artesia) was signed by Governor Jerry Brown today. The bill addresses the proliferation of Butane Hash Oil (BHO) and methamphetamine manufacturing in residential neighborhoods by making it an aggravated felony to manufacture the drugs within close proximity to occupied residences and structures. The new law will go into effect on January 1, 2016.

BHO is a highly potent form of marijuana which has grown in popularity the last several years and is known on the street by many different names including, honey, erl, hash oil, honeycomb, toast, and wax among others.

“I thank Governor Brown for his signature on SB 212. This new law will help protect our neighborhoods and schools from those who manufacture illegal drugs,” said Senator Tony Mendoza.

“Not only is BHO or methamphetamine manufacturing illegal, but it is an extremely dangerous and highly volatile activity that can result in large explosions, causing extreme bodily injury, death and property damage,” said Senator Mendoza.

Illegal clandestine BHO and methamphetamine manufacturing poses a significant risk to neighborhoods. The labs are extremely dangerous. The chemicals used in the manufacturing process create substantial risk of explosions, fires, chemical burns, and toxic fume inhalation; these risks extend well beyond the walls of the lab itself, placing people and property in harm’s way.

SB 212 strengthens California drug laws by allowing a judge to consider as an aggravating factor the manufacturing of BHO within 300 feet of an occupied residence or structure or methamphetamine within 200 feet of an occupied residence or a structure.

Butane hash oil labs, a new type of clandestine lab, are on the rise throughout California. BHO labs use butane, a highly explosive gas to extract hash from marijuana. Recently, there has been a spate of explosions throughout California as the result of BHO manufacturing, causing severe injuries, fatalities and severe damage. Last October, a multi-unit apartment building in Walnut Creek, Calif., went up in flames because of BHO manufacturing and an explosion of an apartment building near Sacramento displaced 140 people. The Sacramento Bee reported that Shriners Hospitals for Children in Northern California has treated 68 victims for BHO burns in the last three years. The average child was burned on 28 percent of their body.

“SB 212 strengthens the law and sends a strong message that if you choose to manufacture drugs in our neighborhoods and near schools, you will be severely punished,” added Mendoza.

In the past several years, federal and state law enforcement agencies have discovered more than 812 illicit drug labs on private and public property and in close proximity to schools throughout the state. Examples include:

In San Jose in May, 2014, the discovery of a crystal methamphetamine lab in a home near San Jose High School.
In December, 2014, a drug lab was discovered at a Victorville daycare center capable of manufacturing BHO.
In Fresno County in January, 2015, a BHO lab was discovered in a home that shares a fence with a school. In addition, there were 28 firearms in the house.
In San Diego County, 17 BHO labs were discovered in the first four months of last year. A third of those were discovered because they exploded.
In Yuba County, 10 BHO labs were discovered last year. The year before that there was only one.

“The location of drug labs in residential neighborhoods and near schools is unacceptable. We need to provide law enforcement and our criminal justice system all the appropriate tools to make our communities and neighborhoods safe,” added Mendoza.

“We need to do everything we can to ensure that our communities are safe from the threat posed by the manufacture of illicit drugs,” said Senator Tony Mendoza.

“We need to ensure that our children are safe in the classroom and on the school playground from the threat posed by the manufacturing of illicit drugs,” said Senator Tony Mendoza.
- See more at: http://sd32.senate.ca.gov/news/8720...anufacturing-legislation#sthash.thBO7UjI.dpuf