What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Between Sun and Moon HPS/LED comparison grow.

Yip and what was the temp when the 4" vortex was off when the 400W hid was on? Please inform us???

Don't be fooled by the "no heat" give off by the LED's. I ran a 300W LED for test in a DR 60 and if the 4" vortex was turned off the tent would hit 90+ pretty fast. There was still a 300W power supply running the led lights.

hazy

Veteran
Sorry no updates yet, but my life suddenly got real busy and I just haven't had time to go through my pics. I'm going to put up one of a freaky fuzzy topped bud on one of the Sour Diesels under the 345 watt LED. There are three buds like this on this plant. Solid clump of pistils. I've never seen this happen before. The other plant has none like this.
All the plants under the leds look great, as do the ones under the 400.

nuggetshiner

Know what burns my ass? Flames bout 3 ft high.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, thats what I call a magenta plant, lol. Nice pistil clump :) So your saying you have
the same sd clones going and one is growing diff from the others? Thats strange. I
thought it was gonna be like the jonasdiesel pix if you remember those in the potm a few
months back. Wonder whats diff about that one plant. Sure looks vunderful. Hey, it's
good to be busy hazy, :) Better than the opposite. ns

T

tokinafaty420

Well keeping your power consumption under the radar for your commercial grows I presume the intial setup for led is obviously more but if you match watts and have the capital to invest in the led setup with say 5000w equal to a 5000W hid show then your doubling your profits every grow. First grow profits go to recoop your intial investment in the led setup. After the 3rd grow your getting double the weight with led for the equal amount of watts used and also doubling profits. Thats bizness 101 my friend. lmao!!!

Thats ridiculous, you never ran a commercial grow and probably would fail trying. Ask any commercial grower on here and see if they'd be willing to use LEDs. lol good luck with that. :joint:

I understand some of you may have your head so far up your ass that you cannot smell fresh air anymore... but neg. repping me doesn't make me wrong. The footprint and initial costs make absolutely no sense what-so-ever to choose LEDs for large scale growing.

gwenwon

Hi hazy. I saw your another thread and the pictures. I'm gonna have to say the difference is huge between LED and MH at the first stage. However, 2 plants seemed to get similar afterwards.

hazy

Veteran
Yeah, NS, I have two sour diesel clones under that 345 and the tallest one,(closest to the light) got those jonasdiesel style pistil clumps. Weird. I think that this is just a 'light burn' from the leds. See the little leaves that are white?

Here's some pics from a few days ago. I'll get some more current ones soon. They've fattened up nicely. Those weird ones are especially gnarly fat buds.
here's some of the SDs under the 345 watt led.

a shot of the sour diesels. there's a C4 in back on the left and a PK bottom right.

the normal diesel.

except for this unusually blunt fat top.

Under the 205

Also, i guess I should include some from the 400 hps.

I believe that I could have grown more under this light. I have room to jam more in, but sometimes it's hard to tell how to divide them up for the comparison. There are 12 plants under the 400 and only 10 under the LED.

And I'm pretty sure the LED plants are going to kick the 400s butt this time.

I'm flushing, soon chop. The 25th will be 61 days for most.Remember, some faster finishers went in a few days later. Everything will be down by 65 days. Maybe 70 for a couple like the Burmese Haze.

Sour Diesels under the hps. Very nice fat buds.

Burmese Haze

Another BH

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Beautiful plants hazy, great work and inspiring for sure. Thanks for continuing to post all your hard work, I for one appreciate it. :biggrin:

hazy

Veteran
I just took a bunch of pictures. I worked them over a bit (resizing and renaming) and have uploaded them. I just am too tired now to make a thorough post about what's going on.
The new job's been keeping me busy, and changed my schedule so I'm sleeping when I should be posting, or something.
Thought I'd post a couple teasers and then tomorrow(I think I will have tomorrow off!) I'll post up a comprehensive report about this run and my thoughts and comments on the pics and the lights.

I've got some pretty good pics of this phenomenon going on on this diesel under the 345 led for you.

Nice Sugar Shack bud under the 205.

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
Wow , you sure have been rocking the LED array. The update has potential to be killer, by the looks of those nugs . Great work bro.

hazy

Veteran
Howdy Jack and Sir, thanks, I'm going to make it worth the look this time for sure.

OK, hopefully this update will make up for my slacking lately.:good:

This post will contain only LED grown plants. I'll put the HPS pics in the next post.:tiphat:

When I started this thread, I was just using the 205 watt led against the 400 hps. It was a good run and the 205 did well. Now I have a 345 also and it kicks the 400's ass.

That said, I want to qualify that statement with a disclaimer. The 400 may have enough bigger of a footprint that it may beat out the 345 if one was able to use a space large enough to maximize the area that the 400 can cover. Now, we all know pretty much what a 400 can do in the hands of a decent grower, but we don't really know how much area the 345 can cover. I think it will do a bigger area than the 36 x 36? that HGL says it will do. I think it will cover more because it needs to be kept at least 12 inches away from the tops, so that gives it a bigger footprint. I'm going to run it in place of my 400 next run. Just the 345 in a 5' by 28" space. We'll see how well it does for the plants that are not directly under the light.

Hope you guys don't mind full size pics cause that's what I need to post to tell this story. Everybody's got fast internet now right? When I look over the 205 this is what I see. There are two Sour Diesels and a Chem4 in the upper left and a PK down in the bottom left of the pic. These are under the 345.

A little better shot:

Don't you just love those snow white tops on those buds? haha! There's some great pics of those babies coming tonight.

This is the SD that is normal.

Here's some of those Diesel buds a little closer.

It's hard to get a good shot of those whitecaps, because of the glare, but I have some I took using no flash that might show them better.

I moved this one a bit to give you a better look at the weird ones. I've been picking on this white cap phenomenon, but the buds they are on have quietly gotten really big. Check out the white star of little bud leaves on the one.

You'll also notice a little PM. lots of old PM scars too. It's too hard to get to them to keep them inspected the way its set up right now.

A few more SD buds.:plant grow:

Here's those whitecap pics taken with no flash. You can see that the little bud leaves and the calyxes are completely normal except for the bleaching. It's not pistil clumps, normal shaped buds, just snow white. I am going to take a look at the trichs now that I'm writing about it my curiosity's up. ... Just looked and even though it's probably not something you'd want on a whole plant, it looks cool as hell. The amber trichs really stand out in the field of white. The white and clear just blend right into the background of the white leaf. It surprised me how many amber trichomes I saw, because the pistils are still mostly white as you can see in all of the diesel bud pics.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, that's it for the Sour Diesel under the LEDs.

Here's a look at the Chem4. I rarely see this one, it never gets PM, so I don't have to check it, so it sits in the farthest hardest to get to spot. Not bad. This is just in a little one gallon pot.

====================
====================
I have two Purple Kushes under the LEDs. The buds didn't get as fat as they sometimes do, but I have two almost identical under the 400 and they are skinnier than normal too. In fact, I think the ones under the LEDs look better.

----------------------
This is a NICE little Sugar Shack. I have a much smaller one also under the led. I thought it was a GAK. it was mislabeled. They look a lot alike in veg.

Last edited:

420ish

great work as always!and do you really believe if you use the 400 to cover the most space you would get much more?i have used a 400 and when you raise the light for bigger footprint the bud quality suffers unless using supplimental lighting also.i like keeping footprint as small as possible for better quality and think 3 feet squared or a little more is about right for good quality from a 400.granted if you are running perpetual ,you can use the outer edges of a 400 for the smaller plants.

hazy

Veteran
I couldn't agree more 420ish. In my 5' wide closet the buds on the periphery are not near what they are when grown in that 3x3 you speak of. I have a 4+ x 5 space and run a 1k in it. I would not want to do that with my 400. But I guess you could.
Also, when running my perpetual, which I've stopped doing because of these LED runs, I always put the newer smaller plants in the middle and moved the bigger ones to the sides.

And of course even in the space given for the 400 this time I know I could have gotten more out of it with a few more plants, but that's the way it goes, lol, it already had two more than the leds did.

Last edited:

hazy

Veteran
I didn't have enough room in that last post for all the pics of the LED stuff.
C99

Sugar Shack

The little PK

C99 bud

I think that's C99 on the center/left and a Golden Cindy on the right. There's got to be an ounce on the Golden Cindy. It's a lanky plant shaped like a Christmas tree, except that it 's branches are weak and can't hold the weight of the buds. Same when I grow this GC under an HID.

That's it for the LEDs.

hazy

Veteran
On to the stuff under the HPS.

Here's what you see when you open the door. Sour Diesels on the left.

Here's a look at the Sour Diesels and some bud shots.

-------------------

This is a Burmese Haze

This too.

The fat one on the right, below, is the Burmese Haze two pics up. The one that's bent over is also a Burmese Haze. I have one of them cloned, I think the lanky bent over one. lol. But take a look at the bent over bud in the second pic below. Not bad. The one with all the dead leaves is a PK. There's a C99 in there too.

This is the top of the fat BH in the pic above. You can see that it wants to go another week +.

Here's one that Hashy1 gave me. I have two of these, one about a foot tall and the other about two feet tall. It's a Northern99 from some beans I got from Nuggetshiner. This is the smaller one. Nice nugs, the big one has a nice bud. Both are just straight with no branching except for big frosty chunky looking nugs.

The next two are Purple Kush.

Below is a GAK.

Sugar Shack. Not really a very good example.

There are a few more besides the ones shown in these posts, but they are smaller ones so aren't much to look at. I'll start chopping tomorrow and get some whole plant pics maybe pre-chop and after stripping the fans or something. I have a feeling that it'll take me a few days to a week to get through this harvest, but when I do I'll give some tallies and pics etc.

Thanks for going along and reading these long winded posts of mine. I hope this thread has helped some peeps make informed decisions about these lights. I think that they are worth using. After seeing what the 345 can do to that Diesel, (talking about the size not the white tops) I'm pretty impressed. Obviously numbers will tell the tale later. Have no fear though, the two SDs by the 400 are no slouches. Nice heavy buds.

420ish

you did this test great!it really seems like your sold on the leds even before the final weigh in.maybe i will have to get a few for flower and replace my ufos for veg too!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey hazy ive been doing a little research on the light bleaching and was told that, as well as raising the light, it may get reduced by increasing the humidty. it is caused by the plant trying to photosynthesize at a high rate whilst the stomata (vents) on the leaves are not fully open. the stomata close to reduce water loss so raising the room humidtiy with a few trays of water or whatever will slow down the rate of water loss from the leaves and should help the plant keep it's stomata open.
i found it to be very strain dependent, with thai genetics seeming to be susceptable the most for me.

cheers mate - looking forward to the final weigh-in

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts