What's new

Best window banger for sealed room?

fido

I've had great luck with the $99 5500btu cheapos from HD/Lowes/Wallmart.

I run 2, so if one kicks the bucket I'm covered for a day or two until a replacement can be installed. Thats what I like about Window units, no waiting for parts...just slam a new one in.

They are not completely light tight out of the box, but can easily be made to be.

how do you make the light tight?

fido

headees

I have used LG's in various ops and never had problems. They were all 24/25 BTU cooling only.

No light leaks

No odor leaks

Turn on after power outage.

Light leaks is easy enough to judge. Odor. I have my current unit in the room with a box exhausting hot air into the crawl space. When in the crawl space I can not smell anything. I use my Sentinel CHHC-1 to control my AC units with a contactor

Really? Did you do any extra sealing on the inside to take care of the smell?

R

RedRain

lol

i have never heard of a sealed room using a window ac unit.

when i picture a sealed room, i picture an air tight room, with maybe copper refrigeration pipes exiting and some power. not some window banger hanging in a window.

the thermoplus uses water to cool the compressor which has freon in it. so, instead of having the unit exchange heat outside via air cooling, it uses cold water for the compressor. hybrid system i guess...

check out these... non are in stock, but great prices.

http://www.minisplitwarehouse.com/New_DIY_Mini_Splits/cat315965_505419.aspx

thermoplus use water to condense the refrigerant,..instead of having an outdoor unit suck air over the coils and cool the refrigerant and extract the heat outside, the heat is now absorbed into water....a 5 ton will consume 5 us gal per min....and u can get them up to 6 tons...they are very popular in BC because they are stealthy and reliable.

thermoplus is an awesome AC,,,stealthy, and actually pulls moisture from the air when cooling, like any AC. since the water supply to cool the refrigerant, no excess moisture is added to the room

Marshall

Really? Did you do any extra sealing on the inside to take care of the smell?

nope. right out of the box and into the wall.

None of my AC's hung outside a window. They were always in a wall exhausting into a warehouse, basement, garage etc.

I used to use a 24k in a drying room where we dried around 30# of bud (dried). It was overkill but it was a spare unit. I did have a can 150 in that room. I also always use filters in the room.

I used to have a 10k op in my basement with the ac exhausting into another part of the basement. I used to have people over and they never smelled anything.

My current op is remote, I dont live there. So I am aware of any smell versus people who live with their grow and get immune to escaping odor. When I went into the crawl space where my AC exhausts, I could not smell anything.

For quick and easy, window banger. I would like to go mini-split in the future

Neo 420

Veteran
From what Ive read portable ac's are inefficient, and dont last a long time. Basically bad value for the cash. Seems like window units are the way to go unless you can get a split.

The only efficient portable AC's cost in the thousands. Only good for specific applications. Get a 5k - 10k window banger or a minisplit. You can get a mini for under a $1000...

Btw. I' running a window banger with a sealed room. Once you go sealed.........You don't go back.......

C

Cheeb

lol a window banger will not make a sealed room if you have it hanging in your window. your best bet is to make a fake wall and scrub/vent the hot air outside.

or

water cooling, air to air split, mini split

Lots of folks run sealed rooms using windows units installed as typical/ out of a window.

Most window ACs have a vent on them that you can open/close. When closed the AC does not exchange grow room air.

Although it may not be as nice as having a airtight space with a mini-split I would definitely still consider it a sealed grow room if it has no active exhaust / passive intake.

I've run several poly'd up bedrooms sealed w/ co2 using a window unit without odor issues or abnormal co2 depletion. If you dont have any negative pressure you wont be sucking in any outside air should you have any small leaks around your AC or elsewhere. Just a properly sized scrubber recirculating within the room does the trick as far as odor is concerned.

-

To the original OP - just select a window AC from lowes that is sized at 4500 BTU per 1000w light you have. Make sure it'll automatically turn back on should power ever be lost for a minute or two.

Latest posts

Latest posts