What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best strain for 125W cfl cab grow? Esbe strain?

Avitas 73

Hi all,

first of, I want to thank you all for your ever friendly tone, here, as on dcf. I also want to say a few words, to let you know "my level" - or lack of same!

I have been lurking both sites for a long time now, ever since read "Mr. Nice" (howard marks) and "Grass" (Phillip Sparrowhawk) which got me back onto MJ, but with a entirely new perspective. I smoked the usual so-so soapbar through midtfyn festivals 93-96 . :joint:

Recently however, I have discovered the joy of growing. Extremely humble beginings - 4 x 21W cfl (2700K) from Silvan fixed in diy reflector (leverpostejbakker x 3), soil grow in 20l container, horsemanure and "så- og prikle muld" with some leca. Permanent 18/6 lighting. First attempt was DCF lowryder, worked OK - ok yield considering set-up, but did not like couchlock effect of lowryder (nor taste for that matter). Second grow was (topped and LST'ed) dcf skunkmix (18/6 for 2 weeks, 9 weeks 12/12), I (obviously) don't know the exact strain, but it was VERY good, heady and cerebal, buzzy, and in the end, very relaxing. Even my wife loved it, and has changed her mind completely now. I am lucky to have found such a cool and tolerant woman!

Now - to get to the point - I have found a small cabinet in my workshop, approx. 60 x 40 x 80 cm (W x D x H). I intend to buy a 125W 2700K cfl with intergrated ballast from hydroponics, grow will be in soil. I use nitrogenrich fertilizer for veg, biobloom for flowering, molasses for last couple of weeks. The cab will be lined outside w. leftover styropor batts (100mm), the cab will be in (unheated) workshop, so insulation needed to retain the heat from the lamp for as long as possible, when lamp is off. I hope this will get me though the winter season without the need for heating when lamp is off. When light is on, there is a 120mm fan running (on a thermostat) to keep temperatures inside 24-27 degrees C.

Now the real question - what strain is suited to the above (cheap ass) set-up? I want a heady, giggly up-high, not couch lock! So - Sativa dominat would be obvious. I would like something with a citrus note, not too "hashy". Yield is not important - I grow for myself, smoke maybe 6-10 splifs per year...I am preparred to LST, to keep grow inside cab.

Esbe - I have beem following you work with (among other) the Leb 27, which is most impressive. Does one of your strains fit the bill? If so, is it available through dcf, or otherwhere?

Well - I hope you will take the time to help me find a good strain.

All the best

Avitas :rasta:

Slapstick

Hej Avitas!

I have tried a 125 w cfl. grow a few years back. Its really easy to work with that kind of light.. Results are fine, that is considered the limited amount of light.
Strains i would recommend would be either Bubblegum or perhaps c99. Bubblegum is a really easy plant to work with, and has a nice yeald.. On top of that the smoke is just exellent, in every way! With the amount of light/watt u plan to spend, i would recommend u not to go and buy some of the "authentic" seeds from the expensive shops.. Go with some from dcf or topskud, the quality is really good for the price. I dont think dcf has any of the strains i just recommended, but im pretty sure topskud does.

Good luck with the grow! Oh on a side note, leb27 is not recommended for indoor grows.. its best for outdoors, it can autoflower indoor..

Mvh

Slapstick

Avitas 73

Hi Slapstick,

kapow! That was a fast reply!

I read a lot of good things about the C99, but had the understanding that F1 seeds where now impossible to get at, and that phenotype varity was very profound for F3 and F4's? Does Topskud still supply the F2 cinderella?

Thanks for answering Slapstick - much appreciated.

P.S.: Was considering WW - wouldn't that be an OK strain for me (sativa, indoors, and easy to grow for a newbie?)

Regards

Avitas

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
Here is some good choices that matches your needs. The seeds from Topskud is cheap and made from the original seeds.

You should check out Mandala Seeds as well, Satori, Kalichakra and Mandala #1 fits your bill too, White Satin is maybe on the indica side, high wise, but it dose very well under low wattage, Sadhu is perfect for small spaces, and would do great in your cab, and if harvested early its not to narcotic, it can get giggly. And the quality of the seeds is superb, all with black, rock hard shells, good germination-rates, very warm-resistant, nice potency and very easy to grow.

Your cab is a little small though, but give it a go. I would properly SCROG in a cab that small, but suite yourself ;) A little SOG could turn out nice as well, and is easier.

http://www.mandalaseeds.com/html/satori1.html

http://topskud.dk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=125

http://topskud.dk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=65

http://topskud.dk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=87

Last edited:

Slapstick

Yea WW would be a good place to start. They have it as F2 in frøbanken, and as a bunch of crosses. Its a fine smoke and a good high.. Though tbh if u want to impress u friends/better half u would be more successful with something like a bubblegum, (enough bubles fra topskud.dk). But taste is ofc subjektive.
Im a big fan of trying out different stuff, so i keep switching strains and grow different stuff at the same time, but with that little room u have, it wont be easy to grow more than one strain at a time.
Anyway, most important thing is to get started! Get some soil, light and seeds and mix it all up!

Oh and on a side note, as far as i understand, u have not bought your light yet.. I see that hydroponics have a 200w cfl on sale. I would consider that if i was you.. I really think u would be happier in the long run with that.

Good luck

Slapstick

Avitas 73

Quiet riot and slapstick - thanks so much for sharing, I will check out those links QR! Greatly appreciated!

@ slapstick, yes, you are right, light is not purchased yet, I gave away the diy 4 x 21W set-up and some lowryder beans to a friend who got the bug as well. I did see the 200W cfl on hydroponics, but did not want to spend the additional wattage (i just did the math - it only about 60 kWh more for 9 weeks of 12/12 - Ok that is not an argument :wave: )

I am a little worried about heat though, I will try to do a heat balance calc on the cab tomorrow, to see if the 120mm PC fan is adequate for cooling, I don't want to invest further right now (my friends have nicknamed me McNærrig).

Reg. strain - is the bubblicious as easy and forgiving to grow as the white widow?

Have a great weekend all, I am of for the first julefrokost this year (traditional oldschool menu, with the mates of course) - bet my hair will be hurting tomorrow.

Avitas

Avitas 73

@ Quiet riot - I did consider SOG.

Are the strains you mentioned + the WW, C99 and Bubbalicious all equally suited for SOG? I would imagine that some of the tall and lanky sativas where not that suited for SOG (I am guessing here!)?

Best regards

Avitas

M

Maxe-Igen

if you aim for a pure heady high WW is not for you, the effect of that is more 50/50

Slapstick

Im no expert on SOG.. But the heat issue i can help u with. Well, u kinda help your self with by going cfl. Dont worry at all, even if u where to go up to the 200w, heat will not be an issue at all. The reason why heat is usually a big issue, is because most growers go with HPS.. If u touch one of those suckers, just a few seconds after u turn it on, u end up with freaking blisters on your fingers... (yes apparently im that dumb)´. The cfl dosent get warm at all, i had it in my closet with no ventilation ( just to check) newer whent above 27 degrees. My closet was somewhat bigger, but seeing u plan to use a fan, i assure u it will be ok.

Avitas 73

Hi All,

based on all of your good advise, I think i will try:

Sugar Klingon III beans
200W cfl
Scrog (is galvanized chickenwire OK?)

Any ideas for how long I should veg, and what the bloom period is for Sugar Klingon III?

Thanks again, take care :jump:

Avitas

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
Good choice! Chickenwire can be used, yes, they may scratch the stems, but just be careful when your training the branches.

This is a good SCROG-guide, has everything you need. http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/48363-scrog-method.html

As the guide states, its standard to veg until 70-80% of the screen is full, and then bloom for about 8-10 weeks, check the pistils and more important, the trichs, if you wanna know when to harvest, its preferable to have alot of white/milky trichs, 20-30% amber/brown/golden trichs and some clear, if any! If you want a more stoney, narcotic high, then let it go a little longer to get more amber trichs.

How long it takes to fill up the screen depends on a couple of things, the plants stretch, light, feeding ect., and with CFL its properly gonna stretch a little more than with a HPS, but the above is good guidelines, just keep an eye on your grow, so it doesn't run wild, a SCROG can really do that, hehe.

Good growing.

Avitas 73

Right then, of to do some internet shopping :joint:

Thanks for your help, I will spend the day inside (rain, rain, rain) reading up on scrog :rasta:

Best regards

Avitas

P.S.:mad: quiet riot - Love the Dali avatar :muahaha:

Gert Lush

Veteran
Based on what you said, I'd go for Paradise Durga Mata.
In fact, if I had your setup, that's also what I'd choose for myself - for an excellent minimum hassle grow.
DM is a very clasy plant, it is very regular, stays nice and short, and does very well with less light. In fact the only variation it really shows is different aromas, some lemony, some fruity, some coffee, some hashy.

The smoke is very sociable, and probably one of the best 50-50s, in that you can go either way. If you want to go out and enjoy nature, great. If you want to party, great - good sexy mood fixer. If you want to park on the sofa, philosophise(/talk shit) or watch a movie great too.

It's not the strongest, most debilitating, "killer" weed, but I don't think that's what you're after, is it?

Great yields too, and the seeds are cheap. One of the classics IMHO, often overlooked.

====

PS1) I have to agree with the poster that said WW is not what you're after!
PS2) OTOH I agree that Bubblegum is a good choice, my first grow was a BG under 125W CFL and it was excellent, really encouraging, though I'd still choose DM if I was doing it today.
BG is a little more expensive, and the seedlings can be a bit weak at first, lacking hybrid vigour. The smell of BG is out of this world, the best IMHO, although DM is not a bad second. You should be happy with either.

Last edited:

Avitas 73

Hi Gert,

Thanks for your suggestion - I think I will go with the Sugar Klingon for now, I will keep the Durga Mata in mind for grows to come though (?).

I do think the Durga mata sounds a bit too much like body high / couchlock tendencies on the various sales sites, but if you say it's more 50/50-ish and can be "chosen" when high - that is of course interesting

:wave:

Best regards

Avitas

jrw

The Klingon III sounds real nice :D

Good luck.

IMO you can grow any strain in a microcabinet. It's just a matter of planning and training. 12/12 from seed or minimal veg time is a nice grow method if you want to go through a lot of different strains and highs as fast as possible, and are a very well suited method for long flowering Sativas in generel.

Here's a little CFL microgrow inspiration:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=68371