What's new

BEST Soil Mix, Whatcha got???

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
I went with this receipe because we cannot get foxfarm in canada, plus it's generic and can be bought anywhere $100 does 100 gallons of soil

Anybody have a mix for MOTHERS????????

3 parts peat
2 parts topsoil
2 parts coco
3 parts perlite
1 part mushroom compost
1 part wormcasts

dolomite lime 5g/litre
N guano - 4g/litre
P guano - 4g/litre veg, 8g/litre flower
Rock phosphate 5g/l
rock potash 5g/l
seaweed meal 5g/l

the bat guano amounts change a little with strain. for instance the Blueberry has less N guano in the mix - but that standard mix has worked for pretty much everything i have grown and i just refine it a little as i get strains dialled in.

feeding is often not necessary but i use biobizz bloom sometimes if i think they need it and molasses at 1 teaspoon/gallon a couple of times in late flowering. bear in mind i also use big pots for the cab size - 4 gallons each atm

(from VerdantGreen, best, cheapest mix I have ever seen!!)

B. Friendly

Veteran
here's all this threads soil mixes:
3 parts peat
2 parts topsoil
2 parts coco
3 parts perlite
1 part mushroom compost
1 part wormcasts

dolomite lime 5g/litre
N guano - 4g/litre
P guano - 4g/litre veg, 8g/litre flower
Rock phosphate 5g/l
rock potash 5g/l
seaweed meal 5g/l

the bat guano amounts change a little with strain. for instance the Blueberry has less N guano in the mix - but that standard mix has worked for pretty much everything i have grown and i just refine it a little as i get strains dialled in.

feeding is often not necessary but i use biobizz bloom sometimes if i think they need it and molasses at 1 teaspoon/gallon a couple of times in late flowering. bear in mind i also use big pots for the cab size - 4 gallons each atm
(from VerdantGreen, best, cheapest mix I have ever seen!!) See his results for yourself!!

1 part fox farm ocean forest

1 part fox farm light warrior

1 part fox farm planting mix

8 tbls dolomite lime per 3 bags mixed

This is by far the best soil mix I have ever used, there is magic in this 3 part soil system. Plants require little more than just water and the occassional tea.

I use a similar mix to one of blazes recipes, its the first time ive tried it and it seems to be working incredibly well..;

1 bag of plant magic plus soil
1 bag of plagron batmix
1 cup of calcified seaweed (or dolomite lime)
1 cup of blood meal
1 cup of bone meal
20-30% chunky perlite

the mix was a bit hot to start with so i'd maybe recomend cutting the 1 cup's down to 3/4 of a cup depending on the strain.. i am using powerplant which doesnt like heavy feeds, the plagron batmix is horrendously expensive so maybe i'd try cutting that out using 2 bags of plant magic and adding my own guano. that said the growth rates and health of the plants are excellent.

Originally Posted by blazeoneup
The soil mix I use is the following

1 bag foxfarm ocean forest
1 bag foxfarm happy frog
1 bail bcuzz hydro mix
1&1/4 cup blood meal
1&1/4 cup bone meal
4 cups earth worm castings
3/4 cup of powdered lime
20-30% chunky perlite

Important
Mix it really well, When you think its good mix it some more!

im with iron lion (from zion?)
anyways...
the basic '3 part start' is pretty good base mix that will need few, if any, amendments. imvho.
ive run many a strain in this basic 3 part mix with great results. it really is a 'LOW' maintainance meduim.
-Fox Farm Ocean Forest
-Fox Farm Light Warrior
-Perlite
(ive even substituted coco for perlite with good results, as well.)
some amendments that are usually on hand (but rarely get used) are:
-fish emulsion
-kelp extract
-peruvian seabird guano (P/K)
-earth juice grow
-earth juice bloom
-earth juice catalyst (aka expensive molasses. grammies is a GREAT substitute....grandmas molasses...many threads and testimonials on it. dissolved brown sugar works, as wel,l as a substitute.) also, earth juice, if not used within a few months, should be rotated with fresh stock. imo.

something to keep in mind tho...
the fox farm ocean forest soil mix tends to compact pretty quickly with waterings, so, perlite fills the role perfectly.
without it, the soil can get pretty hard, pretty quick; impeding root growth.

other than that its pretty worry free. in my experiences with it. good luck.

In Hawaii for short season-
1part black top soil from the area
1part compost made of fish, banana leaves, fruits and veggies, egg shells, and seaweed.
1part sand with good broken up shells
1part small lava rock so Pele can get high too!

This is the Kama'aina mix.

My mentor swears by Canna Bio Terra soil (which is pre-amended coco, with wormcastings etc) and he mixes it with Bokashi compost. I think any mix of:

Peat
Coco
Vermiculite
Perlite
Well-rotted compost

Mixed with any of the following:
Bat guano
rotted Rabbit manure
chicken shit or steer shit

as well as:
Dolomite lime
Kelp solids
topsoil
Blood and bone meals
Bokashi or mushroom compost
Compost or manure teas

and some water crystals (As needed, mainly for outdoor grows) you can custom tune your mix for any particular strain or garden, BUT, it would be beneficial to run one strain so you can learn what it likes.

That said, I don't like a lot of soil amendments because it's too hard to flush most of them out if something goes wrong or the plants don't like it. I'm not gonna sacrifice an entire crop because I used a cup of blood meal when only 1/2 was needed. I'd rather use a more inert media and add hydro nutes I can control, flush and change on the fly. Something that is very hard to do with built-in amendments. Just my $.02

I got this mix from someone and altered it a bit:

Half a bail of promix
2 bags of Miracle grow Organic Choice
Half a bag of Worm Castings
20% perlite
1 cup bone meal
1 cup blood meal
3/4 cup powdered dolo lime (pellets ground in coffee grinder)
1/2 cup guano

mix it up, water it, let it sit a week.

nothing but water in veg and flower and your girls will be healthy and green. I let my water sit out for 24 hrs too.

This is all organic, but I am open to adding some sort of non-organic nute towards the end of flowering to boost the yield. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

1 bail promix
1 big bag fox farm chunky perlite
3 bags worm castings
1-2 Cups High N guano
1.5-2.5 Cups High P guano
2-4 Cups Kelp meal
4 Cups Greensand
4lbs Rare Earth(GH) or use Fulvic acid when fertilizing
4lbs Diamond Black(GH) or use Humic acid when fertilizing
1 Bag Tarantula (AN)
1 Bag Piranha (AN)
2 Cups lime(add while checking soil PH as castings have different PH, and more may be needed)
5 Cups diatomaceous earth(use dust mask and gloves)

Best way to do things is pour them on a 12'x12' tarp. Mix by hand and then use the tarp to mix the soil. I like to use 3gal bags and transplant from either .5gal or 1gal bags. I would feed with H20 on the first 2 waterings and after that you should be straight to start adding fertilizer. 3rd watering fertilize at 50% and full strength after that. The DE will keep soil bugs away. Hope this helps.

Iguana Grow and Bloom are the best organic nutes I have found. I have previously used- GH, Botanicare, Earth Juice, Roots, Humboldt, Foxfarm, and Canna.

MHHSP

Just about anything will work, depends on what your looking for, feeding every water with a lot of additives, a soil mix that takes care or it all, organic, non-organic, above all else keep it simple.

as wack as this sounds, mircale mositure control (mgmc) has totally impressed me and friends. its got the shat little balls of nutes inside which seem to grow a mean erb plant, u flush out hard at the end and mid way through if your smart and your erb will taste great n be smooth, the texture is perfect right out of the bag, if they could make this stuff without the nute balls inside it everyone would be useing it, faster growth for me then coco or soil, no lime added, no perlite added, just dump this shit in a container n plant, the greatest flavour enhancer of weed is water, flush flush flush, all theese aditives n mixeing n carrying n sourceing, i just dont have time for it, i must say that i was pretty amazed that this quote on quote garbage grows as well as it does, perfect texture medium, perfect!

to this ill feed maybe once or twice very light some floraseries or scotts or whatever else i have untill its hammer them with filtered water time for two plus weeks of flush. K.I.S.S, nutes are nutes are nutes are nutes, get of that orange street light grown erb missing critical wavelengths of light and get some blues, extravagent mixes and yellow orange light isnt going to cut it.

the package actually says ''potting mix'' feeds for 3 months, just dont want to confuse anybody that wants to step over to the dark side.

B. Friendly

Veteran
Ok here's what I think is the best RECEIPE, Just my opinion:
75L 3 parts peat
3 parts perlite
50L 2 parts coco
30L 1 parts topsoil
1 part potting mix
1 part vermiculite
1 part mushroom compost
1 part wormcasts

dolomite lime 5g/litre = 260g’s @ 5 mixes = 1300g’s The five mixes assumes that each part is 4Litres ie. 52Litres five times
Gaia 4-4-4 All Purpose 8g/litre = 416g’s @5 mixes = 2080g’s
Kelp meal 5g/L
GROW, N guano - 5g/litre (Good for trace elements) FLOWER, P guano - 8g/litre
?rock potash 5g/L (included in Gaia All Purpose)
?rock phosphate 5g/L (included in Gaia All Purpose)

(from VerdantGreen, best, cheapest mix I have ever seen!!) See his results for yourself!!

Ingredients To Consider when making Soil Mixes:
Peat
Coco
Vermiculite
Perlite
Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix
Well-rotted compost

Mixed with any of the following:
Bat guano
rotted Rabbit manure
chicken shit or steer shit

as well as:
Dolomite lime
Kelp solids
topsoil
Blood and bone meals
Bokashi or mushroom compost
Compost or manure teas

and some water crystals (As needed, mainly for outdoor grows)

raydizzle

I use a mixture of half and half Fox Farm ocean forest and Fox Farm happy frog with a small added amount of perlite. I add chicken scratch, bat guano, blood meal, bone meal, Sea Weed, dried molasses, fish emulsion I do all my mixing and adding inside a large trash can with a large paddle.

bakelite

I use a mixture of half and half Fox Farm ocean forest and Fox Farm happy frog with a small added amount of perlite. I add chicken scratch, bat guano, blood meal, bone meal, Sea Weed, dried molasses, fish emulsion I do all my mixing and adding inside a large trash can with a large paddle.

Ray,
How much of each amendment do you add? I've grown in FFOF in the past and I have been using HF for the last 10 months with decent results (needs amending though).
-bakelite

the gnome

Veteran
I use FF OF and cut it 3:1 w/perlite, after 60 days it still drains well and isn't compacted.
I amend it with
2tbs dolomite
2tbs blood-bone meal
3 tbs kelp meal
mosten with liquid karma

this mix is on the hot side, plants should be a 4+wks old going into this mix.
the only strains that Ive grown that have probs with it are ones that have any blueberry in in their make up.
I grew bog BlueMoonRocks and its way too hot.
other wise all the others eat it up, AK 47, sour bubble, sour lifesaver, sour strawberykush

B. Friendly

Veteran
http://www.gaiagreen.com/products/product_detail.asp?ID=9
http://www.gaiagreen.com/products/
Check this site out
I am using all their products and my girls are loving it
Organic soil all you need is water
75L 3 parts peat
3 parts perlite
50L 2 parts coco
30L 1 parts topsoil
1 part potting mix
1 part vermiculite
1 part mushroom compost
1 part wormcasts, from Gaia
1 part 30Litres Gaia FERTILIZING SOIL CONDITIONER 4-4-2
14 Parts x 4L = 56Litres

Gaia 4-4-4 All Purpose 8g/litre = 450g’s @5 mixes = 2250g’s
Kelp meal 5g/L
GROW,Gaia Seabird guano 2g/litre= 110g’s FLOWER, Gaia High P guano 8g/L
dolomite lime 4g/litre = 225g’s @ 5 mixes = 1125g’s
?rock potash 2g/L (included in Gaia All Purpose)
?rock phosphate 2g/L (included in Gaia All Purpose)

feeding is often not necessary but i use biobizz bloom sometimes if i think they need it and molasses at 1 teaspoon/gallon a couple of times in late flowering.

I'm liking a mix of ocean forest,light warrior, promix and silica rock. i put a small amount of silica and hydroton on the bottom of my bags for drianage and i mix some silica rock right into my mix. no nutes all threw veg about 6 weeks. next round after i move out of my warehouse. i'm going to start amending in worm castings and guano and biuld up a mix from there.

B. Friendly

Veteran
Best tip and toughest to maintain consistantly:
*Note: Do not over water! Do not let your soil completely dry out! Maintain moist but not soggy soil for happy healthy plants.

I have noticed organic soils are much easier to acheive consistanly wettish soil

Peat, promix, coco all on their own are either too wet or too dry in my experience.

B. Friendly

Veteran
to keep it simple here's an exceptional premix http://www.gaiagreen.com/products/product_detail.asp?ID=9

I f'n love Gaia Products
: http://www.gaiagreen.com/products/default.asp

MY MIX: Amounts for 50 – 2gallon pots
3 parts peat 2.2cu.ft
3 parts perlite 100 Litre
3 parts coco 1 Brick
2 part potting soil 50Litre, 2 bags
1 part Gaia FERTILIZING SOIL CONDITIONER 4-4-2 30Litre Bag
1 part vermiculite 25Litre Bag
1 part mushroom compost 20Litre Bag
2Litres wormcasts, from Gaia 5-2Litre Bags
15 Parts x 4L(ice cream bucket to ration parts)= 60Litres x 5 mixes = 50 2gallon pots

To each 60 Litres I add:
280g Gaia 4-4-4 All Purpose 5g/litre = 280g’s @ 5 mixes = 1400g’s
(Add some extra Gaia All Purpose at flower, maybe as soil drench??)
225g Gaia Kelp Meal 4g/L = 225g’s @ 5 mixes = 1125g’s
(Add some extra Gaia Kelp Meal at flower, maybe as soil drench??)
225g dolomite lime 4g/litre = 225g’s @ 5 mixes = 1125g’s
????56g GROW,Gaia Seabird guano 1g/litre= 56g’s @ 5 mixes = 280g’s
**Best to give Gaia Seabird Guano as a TEA due to ammonia content.
**If you do want to add Gaia Seabird Guano as a soil additive then let your pots sit for at least 10 days before planting babies.
225g FLOWER, Gaia High P guano 4g/L = 225g’s @ 5 mixes = 1125g’s
56g ?rock potash 1g/L (NOT Needed included in Gaia All Purpose) 280g’s 56g ?rock phosphate 1g/L (NOT Needed included in Gaia All Purpose) 280g’s
molasses at 1 teaspoon/gallon WEEKLY with water feeding.
and some water crystals (As needed, mainly for outdoor grows)
*Note: Do not over water! Do not let your soil completely dry out! Maintain moist but not soggy soil for happy healthy plants.

feeding is often not necessary but i use Dynagro and some other nut’s every 10-14days’ish sometimes if i think they need it and molasses at 1 teaspoon/gallon weekly,
(from B.Friendly, best, cheapest mix I have ever seen!!) See his results for yourself!! http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=194145

Important:
Mix it really well, When you think it’s good, mix it some more!

always a work in progress

Well i can give a big two thumbs up to both blazeone's and V.G.'s recipes. I believe that the ultimate mix is a living organic soil that needs little more than water from start to finish. I have achieved this with both of their mixes. Overall yield seems very similar between both. The past few grows i have been using V.G.'S mix because it gets considerably cheaper than Blazeone's the more soil you are making. However i have substituted the blood and bone meal for the guanos in a few runs and see very similar results. (not a perfect 1:1 substitute use the amounts per gallon from blazeone's) It may just be my own pre concieved notions but the guanos seem to make the bud smell and taste slightly more complex and slightly stronger. I also water with mollases every once in a while increasingly more often later in flower.